• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .280 Rem/ 7mm Express Rem, where is the luv?

ida83704

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2010
Ada County, Idaho
Where is the luv?

Based on the 30-06 case,
better BC in 7mm than 7.62
less recoil
don't have to dink around with a belted case like a 7mag.

with a 162AMAX, it's supersonic to 1600+

anyone running one of these?

Re: .280 Rem/ 7mm Express Rem, where is the luv?

My soninlaw had one built in a hunting rifle. We bedded it into a McMillan stock and did some trigger work on it. It was shooting under .5moa at 900yds for three shot groups.

He put a Kreiger 1-9 heavy magnum barrel on it and shoots the 168 Bergers. Its a hammer at any range he has shot it. Killed an antelope at just a tad over a 1000yds this year and a couple of deer in the 600 and 700yd range. He shoots a lot and has steel plates set up to 1000yds on his ranch.

I am having a 284 built this winter. I have a 28" Broughton 5R on order now and should be done in Jan. I can't wait till this summer to try it out. I am building it on a short action because thats all I have but I am making a single shot out of it. I found a 40X Kevelar stock for it so that worked out great since they have a longer forearm for the longer barrels. Should be a nice set up.

The one I built hit like a hammer all the way out past 1700, I ran 162's and 180 Hybrids through it.

I ran into problems getting them in the magazine at those bullet weights, I've since moved to a 7/300 WSM instead to stay out of using Lapua magazines and modifying them a lot.

It's a great round and shoots very well. Greg Langelius is shooting at least 1 of them and having a great time with it. There's a few guys on here running them in the AI configuration which puts it in the same capacity as a 7 SAUM and a little shy of the WSM cases.

I have a pair of inherited Ruger 77 MKI's chambered in .280. One's a sporter, the other has a relatively rare varmint barrel on it.

I've been doing a back-burner load development using H-4350 and Nosler 120gr Ballistic tips running somewhere in excess of 3100fps. Hodgdon max with H-4350 and 120gr Barnes is 59.0gr (C*), for somewhere high in the 3200's. I can't even get more than 57.5gr out of my Dillon measure consistently, and there's no sign of significantly high pressure. 'Flat' doesn't even come close to describing the trajectory. For deer, it's basically hold and shoot; if you can see it, it goes pretty much where you aim. Bear in mind, terrain here seldom allows more than 300yd on big game. The rifles also absolutely adore Hornady Superformance 139gr SST's. I will eventually transition to 168's. This cartridge has interesting prospects as an LR chambering, yet fits on any action that runs the .30-'06. It's like converting the .308 to .260, then ramping it up on 'roids. Wow; just Wow!

My next heart-throb acquisition could well be a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter with a .280 Rem aftermarket barrel on it.

Greg

It's called marketing. As a kid I used to love going into the gun store and hear the stories/lies/bs told time after time. But, when you actually compare side by side the reasons behind what was said, it just don't add up.

The 7mm caliber has been proving itself now for over 110 years. Yet, I still hear "metric", "made in Europe" "made in Japan", "not made in the USA" ...so it can't be any good. It has always had a great bullet selection. But, I think the biggest reason is that everyone will always gravitate to what the military has. For the longest time, the 30-06 was king. Even though there were many cartridges that offered superior ballistics. Then the .308 came along. It was an instant hit. Because it was .30 cal. You can always see when a .30 cal is introduced it will outsell it's closest counterparts of .358, .338, .325, 7mm, .264, and .257, at least 2-1. Nevermind that to get the same bullet profile and construction as the smaller calibers, you have to jump to over 200 gr. And of course, you have to really want to shoot heavy to go with the bigger calibers.

That's why 7mm don't get no luv. Because company marketers have found it's a lot easier to push something that sells rather than the best product.

I think Sandwarrior has it right, it's marketing plus the fact that there's nothing wrong with some of the popular calibers.

Only after I sold mine and got a 7RM did I understand how good the .280 really was. Constructed of good components, it is a flat shooting rifle that is easy to load for and very versatile.

I picked up a la m700 recently with the idea of building a 280 or 280ai. Seems to me it would be the ticket for a long range rig without going to a mag. I haven't seen much info on this round though.

Because it was a typical Remington fuck story.

They introduced the .280 to compete with the .270. They intended it to be released in the pump and semi-auto rifles (very fine hunting rifles).
They had concerns about the pressures involved, so they lowered the pressures to a "safe" limit which resulted in the round not performing as well as the .270.
The .280 was a commercial flop.

Rather odd, since they chambered the same rifles in 30'06. If the damn rifle can handle the pressures of the '06, why can't it handle the same pressures in a 7mm offering?

Remington has a long, distinguished record of fucking up product releases. Look how they mishandled the 7mm-08, .260 Rem and 6.8spc and of course the 6mm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because it was a typical Remington fuck story.

They introduced the .280 to compete with the .270. They intended it to be released in the pump and semi-auto rifles (very fine hunting rifles).
They had concerns about the pressures involved, so they lowered the pressures to a "safe" limit which resulted in the round not performing as well as the .270.
The .280 was a commercial flop.

Rather odd, since they chambered the same rifles in 30'06. If the damn rifle can handle the pressures of the '06, why can't it handle the same pressures in a 7mm offering?

Remington has a long, distinguished record of fucking up product releases. Look how they mishandled the 7mm-08, .260 Rem and 6.8spc and of course the 6mm.</div></div>

Let me count the times!! ....Let's just say my favorite f@#%-up by Remington is the .257 saga(s). Second is of course naming the 6mmBR and 7mm BR ...but not making any brass or rifles for them. But wait...there is a turd lurking at the top of the intestine, that needs to be let out.... OOOOHHHH! That's right. The 6mm Rem. Let's not twist it right. Then let's call it a new name (originally the .244 Rockchucker) and lets damn sure not build a bullet or give it a twist that will handle what the case can. That would be 1-10" and 105 gr. SPITZERS. They are a clear case of how hand-me-down trust fund babies still want to run big time American corporations. Good thing they had Mike Walker. At least they got the 721,722,725 and 700 right (mostly) for the rounds that got chambered in them.

They're still screwing up their releases.

They built the new .30 RAR with the base dimensions of the .284 and .458SOCOM. But because of legal liability concerns about some dufuss chambering the round in other chambers, they upped the base diameter from .473 to some ridiculously uncommon number. This made it unuseable in actions with the very common .473 bolt face.

Remington will never need to worry about the competition. They are already their own most effective possible opponent.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They're still screwing up their releases.

They built the new .30 RAR with the base dimensions of the .284 and .458SOCOM. But because of legal liability concerns about some dufuss chambering the round in other chambers, they upped the base diameter from .473 to some ridiculously uncommon number. This made it unuseable in actions with the very common .473 bolt face.

Remington will never need to worry about the competition. They are already their own most effective possible opponent.

Greg</div></div>

No kidding. I wonder how hard it would have been to change the shoulder a little like everyone else does when making a new round.

Lets not forget the 22BR and the 6BRs probably the two most accurate rounds in the world the not sell them in a varmint rifle other than a 40X. Or the 260 and not make match ammo for it then when it starts to catch on as a tactical round drop the heavy barrel line. Remington is run by IDIOTS!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raptor99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lets not forget the 22BR and the 6BRs probably the two most accurate rounds in the world the not sell them in a varmint rifle other than a 40X. Or the 260 and not make match ammo for it then when it starts to catch on as a tactical round drop the heavy barrel line. Remington is run by IDIOTS!!!!!! </div></div>

Remington is run by people only concerned with making " dem huntin' rifles"

They barely give a damn about the rest of the shooting world, which includes us.

I consume probably 200x's the average hunter's annual ammo budget each year and the only part of a Remington that I keep is the complete action. More and more I'm getting away from that now too. It's just too much business as usual, we're not living in the 1930's anymore where 50 rounds of 22LR was the family's winter food source. Political discussions aside, they are slowly starting to realize that civilians shoot a lot.

Marketing death, just like the .260. I often wonder why they even bother to intro rounds if they plan on killing them so quickly.

When my Tikka finally crabs out in .270 it will be rebarreled in .280. The only reason I did not go .280 to begin with is I simply could not find one before the season and with two customs backlogged I needed something off the shelf ASAP.

Between the 140TTSX, 162Amax or 168 Berger there is not a lot the .280 cannot do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That's why 7mm don't get no luv. Because company marketers have found it's a lot easier to push something that sells rather than the best product.</div></div>

I hear what you are saying but it isn't quite that simple? presumably the rest of the market defeines the 'best product' in other ways. If you look at the science then the 308 isn't 'best' at anything but is more adaptable to a range of uses.

I guess that is why stuff comes and goes - it has a niche but the niche isn't big enough. Which in turn creates a market for the custom builders

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chanonry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That's why 7mm don't get no luv. Because company marketers have found it's a lot easier to push something that sells rather than the best product.</div></div>

I hear what you are saying but it isn't quite that simple? presumably the rest of the market defeines the 'best product' in other ways. If you look at the science then the 308 isn't 'best' at anything but is more adaptable to a range of uses.

I guess that is why stuff comes and goes - it has a niche but the niche isn't big enough. Which in turn creates a market for the custom builders</div></div>

Yes, I know, that's what I'm saying. The .308 dia. bullet has been a standby since Douglas MacArthur decreed that we WILL use a .30 cal bullet in 1929. Which took the M1 Garand off the .276 Pederson and back to the .30-06 that Dug-out Doug so loved (several million rounds was the real reason).
God forbid we ever listen to anyone else, (Especially someone from Great Britain) who has done a ton of testing and found the round superior to the 30-06.
Weight, punch, ballistics, ease of manufacture...let's not do that.

Suffice it to say, I understand the .308 gets a lot done in it's realm. But, to me it's like the takeover lions are being stopped because someone has a heart for the .308. It's not cutting the full mustard pie and it should be looked at for replacement. The cost can be minimal. But, there always seems to be some reason why it can't be done. I for one am very tired of excuses. I've given over to calling the bastards by name when it doesn't happen.

26" barrel Hornady 7MM .284 DIA 162GR BIG GAME POLY CARB TIP 28452 bullets moly coated
Comparing cartridge performance with Quickload and Quicktarget at close to optimum powder choice and 65kpsi:

7mmT/CU ....................26.1 gr H335 2330 fps -471 yards
7-30 Waters ....................30 gr W748 2456 fps -395 yards
7mmBR .......................31.2 gr W748 2510 fps -360 yards
7mm IHMSA ...................40.2 gr Re17 2704 fps -247 yards
<span style="color: #FF0000">7mm-08 ...................40.6 gr IMR4895 2789 fps -198 yards</span>
7mm-08AckleyImproved .....43.6 gr Re15 2833 fps -171 yards
7x57mm .......................44.6 gr Re15 2843 fps -165 yards
7x57mmAckleyImproved ....46.4 gr Re15 2873 fps -150 yards
284Win ....................50.0 gr IMR4350 2890 fps -172 yards
<span style="color: #FF0000">280Rem .......................53.5 gr H414 2961 fps -152 yards</span>
280RemAckleyImproved ...57 gr IMR4350 3019 fps -71 yards
7mmRemMag .................68.2 gr Re22 3129 fps -15 yards
7mmWeathMag ..............71.8 gr Re22 3170 fps +7 yards
7mmSTW .......82.2 gr Ramshot Magnum 3158 fps 0 yards

I have (4) 7mmRemMag rifles, I don't know how many surplus 7x57mm rifles I have.

I shot 3 deer with the 7mmRemMag in 2010.
I like it.

Clark,

Could you clarify that graph you put up?

Nevermind, I see what it is now.

So is anyone else done any futher load development on the 280.
I am going to have one put together but cant find much load info on it.

Mac

PM Stiggy here. He's doing that now, and his .280 rocks at 2775fps. He could push it to Magnum velocities but why bother?

My .284 is a tackdriver at 2650fps and a 1600-yard rifle at 2850fps with 180 JLK's.

I have a 280 AI that pushes a 180 grain Berger at 2950 and only needs 22 moa to get to a 1000 here. I wish I had time to tweak it some more and see what it can do further out.

I have a 280AI and love it, with a 26" Rock 8.7 twist, pushing the 162 Amax at 3000fps, with 4831sc. Whats not to like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pwc001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 280AI and love it, with a 26" Rock 8.7 twist, pushing the 162 Amax at 3000fps, with 4831sc. Whats not to like. </div></div>How did you get a 162 to 3000 with 4831sc out of a 26" barrel? Not that I don't believe you, I just want to know how much powder you stuffed in there. What's the powder charge in grains?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pwc001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 280AI and love it, with a 26" Rock 8.7 twist, pushing the 162 Amax at 3000fps, with 4831sc. Whats not to like. </div></div>How did you get a 162 to 3000 with 4831sc out of a 26" barrel? Not that I don't believe you, I just want to know how much powder you stuffed in there. What's the powder charge in grains? </div></div>

61.1 grains 4831sc, crono'ed at 3000 and verified with JBM out to 1350 yards. No pressure signs, CCI primers, and Nosler brass. I don't have COAL with me right now.

I keep coming back to this thread, it makes me think.
I too have a Ruger M77V in 280 Rem. Actually the barrel is marked 280 Rem/ 7 MM Exp Rem (that should age the rifle).
I may have 100 rounds through it, 20 years ago, literally.
I'm thinking about having the stock bedded, then trying to figure out what to do about scope mount. I'm already setup to reload the 280.
I'm finding the 308 (SPS Tach) lacking beyond 750 yards, so have been considering a 300WM. Using the Ruger 280 will save me from buying a new rifle, but it is a Ruger, and not sure if that's worth the investment.
Well...still pondering this idea.

If someone would buy the 308 I have for sale in the classifides, I would have a 280Ai built. Someone step up and stimulate the economy and buy that rifle. I would buy a donor action and have a member(DSINK) put a Benchmark barrel on it and do all that other gunsmithy type stuff to it, slap on a Tasco or something else and I would be GTG. I want a 280AI , BAD>