• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

280AI vs. 6.5 PRC

LJT88

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 16, 2019
    Looking for some advice on a possible build. I have 6.5CM tactical/comp build and a lightweight 308 hunter already in the stable.

Looking for a longer range western hunter / the occasional range gun for those longer distances. Mostly it would be more of a hunting set up...70/30% favoring hunting.

I was fairly set on the 6.5 PRC and never really seriously considered any .28cal setup besides the 7RM. I’m finding that there is actually a bit of factory loaded 280ai rounds...not a ton but some nice nosler, Berger, Normandy stuff.

What do you guys think? Any 280ai guys out there willing to chime in? I don’t really want to go to a magnum 30cal.

I have a 30nosler, 300win mag, 7wsm and a 280ai. The 280ai shoots 162gr eldx at 3050fps with a 24”. My 300 win mag shoots 165gr gmx at 3200fps. I end up take the 280ai out the most. It’s very Pleasant to shoot. And kills everything it needs to.

No mention of what you're planning to hunt with the new rifle. Deer/elk gun? The 7mm (depending on twist) can get you into heavier projectiles, like on the order of 40gr heavier. Does that matter for your intended purpose? Worth thinking about, anyway.

No mention of what you're planning to hunt with the new rifle. Deer/elk gun? The 7mm (depending on twist) can get you into heavier projectiles, like on the order of 40gr heavier. Does that matter for your intended purpose? Worth thinking about, anyway.
    Yes sorry, should have mentioned that. Hunting would be mule deer and elk.

I have a 280 ackley. Similar to Bearslayer6 I'm using the 162 eldx and pushing them right around 2950 fps. More velocity to be had but the accuracy and that charge weight is excellent for me. 280 ack is great cartridge. I just bought some Peterson brass I'm going to load next.

If you don't reload and will the rifle will be used predominantly for hunting Hornady does have 280 ack in their Precision Hunter line. When I started shooting 280 ack the only factory offerings were from Nosler and I could only find the ammo with the really light bullets which didn't interest me. If Hornady had Precsion Hunter for 280 ack then, that's what I would've shot from the beginning. If you do reload ignore everything I just typed :).

Last edited:
    ChadL The peterson brass is awesome. That’s what I use. As for deer and elk it’s a great gun for that. Shot placement is key on elk, no matter what you use. I try and keep my shoots under 500yards. I’m a hunter I can always get closer. I would say this round is more for guys that reload so you can get everything out of it..

I think the 280 AI would be a fun "mini elr" rig and an effective western hunter. I think the 6.5 prc would be too!

The prc is a magnum bolt face and the 280 is a standard if im not mistaken.

May as well post a pic of my 280 ack.

8E3307D3-EEDD-431E-8F34-ACAF6EFC44DE.jpeg

Another .280ai owner here. Mine is APA built on an old Remington 700. 24” barrel, seeing 2980fps with 162 AMAX’s over RL17. Use it for hunting and long range steel shooting. A little on the heavy side, but recoil is almost non existent

Reactions: Raffy
    That is correct. Which is what makes the 280 ack so impressive. Near magnum performance out of a “308” sized bolt face.
    Ok that’s what I was thought/hoping for... I’m sold, someone please make factory match ammo pronto 😎 I have a 308 to convert, what length is everyone running ...24”?

Last edited:
    Ok that’s what I was thought/hoping for... I’m sold, someone please make factory match ammo pronto 😎 I have a 308 to convert, what length is everyone running ...24”?

24 is what’s on mine. Few custom ammo makers have beyond the norm when it comes to 280ai ammo. I’m only still using 162 AMAX because I snagged 2000 of them when they were around.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
    Mine is currently a 26", but have run as a 24" before.
    Is your 308 a long action? 280 is a long action cartridge and loads pretty long with heavys.

i'd take a 7mm over the 6.5

280AI in a long action/tikka
    Sherman 7SS for short action
    Sherman 7MAX for a medium

short action 308 boltface 7SAW is hard to beat

The one thing that has not been brought up in this thread the 280 has to go in a long action. The 6.5 can fit in a short action although if your wanting to run longer bullets closer to the lands you would need to go with a mid action.
    I just went through your same decision and I went with a mid action for my
    6.5 PRC and also had a 300 WSM barrel spun up for my action. Both calibers use the same mag bolt face, if you feel that your under gunned with the 6.5 just spin on the 300 and re zero.
    just more food for thought.

Reactions: LJT88
    I recently went through the same dilemma. I was designing a hunting rifle and was having a hard time deciding on a caliber for it. 6.5PRC was at the forefront of it before a friend turned me onto the 280AI. After a whole lot of shopping around I went that route and I'm glad I did. I had no idea how capable and versatile that caliber really is. I'm still doing load workup with it, but it's very impressive so far.

Reactions: Stache and LJT88
    Similar to @TheChief for me. Was 6.5PRC leaning but the more I looked into the Ackley, the more I liked it. Built on one a TL3 and it shoots a dream. Mild recoil and plenty of load options. Tough getting bullets right now though.

Reactions: TheChief
    A good friend is a huge ackley fan. Many .260 and .280 ackley rifles including a scout rifle in 280AI :). His 1st Elk was at 702 taken with 280AI @3000 FPS with Berger 168gr Classic Hunter and R26. One and done. Another hunter in camp also ran a 280AI w/ same load and took his bull at 340y. 1 shot. I took my 1st Elk last year with borrowed 280AI w/ same load @480. My bull sucked up 4 rounds before finally collapsing a second and final time. He was hemorrhaging (massive amount of blood) out his mouth after 1st shot, but he was on the edge of a Mnt. Ridge and I didn’t want him going over. He collapsed after second shot and slid down the ridge 30y toward me…..then he stood up. I put two more in him and he went down for good. None of the bullets penetrated the other side on any of these bulls. Very capable caliber, but for Elk I‘d prefer a faster / heavier bullet. We switched to 28 Nos and I witnessed my buddy kill a bull last year @ 523 with Berger 175gr Elite Hunter @ just over 3000fps. Elk took 3 bounds and flipped over backwards and was dead. Bullet core went completely through animal (hit just behind shoulder) and out the other side. Piece of jacket was found under hide at exit. Pretty impressive.

Last edited:
    A good friend is a huge ackley fan. Many .260 and .280 ackley rifles including a scout rifle in 280AI :). His 1st Elk was at 702 taken with 280AI @3000 FPS with Berger 168gr Classic Hunter and R26. One and done. Another hunter in camp also ran a 280AI w/ same load and took his bull at 340y. 1 shot. I took my 1st Elk last year with borrowed 280AI w/ same load @480. My bull sucked up 4 rounds before finally collapsing a second and final time. He was hemorrhaging (massive amount of blood) out his mouth after 1st shot, but he was on the edge of a Mnt. Ridge and I didn’t want him going over. He collapsed after second shot and slid down the ridge 30y toward me…..then he stood up. I put two more in him and he went down for good. None of the bullets penetrated the other side on any of these bulls. Very capable caliber, but for Elk I‘d prefer a faster / heavier bullet. We switched to 28 Nos and I witnessed my buddy kill a bull last year @ 523 with Berger 175gr Elite Hunter @ just over 3000fps. Elk took 3 bounds and flipped over backwards and was dead. Bullet core went completely through animal (hit just behind shoulder) and out the other side. Piece of jacket was found under hide at exit. Pretty impressive.
    I'm running 180 Bergers out of mine at 2900fps with RL26. Haven't had a chance to do any hunting with it yet but when I get home fall bear season will be on and deer and elk seasons are quickly approaching. I've also got some 155 Absolute Hammers arriving at the house soon I'm going to work up a load for for timber and closer in hunting. It's a seriously great caliber, and I think it opens up a lot of potential for a single caliber rifle.

Reactions: nickw
    I like both 280ai and 284 win and improved versions, but you already have 2 std boltface rifles. Either is a barrel away from being one of these. With a magnum boltface, you open options to all of the short fat cases. Assuming you reload, maybe look at 7SAUM/7SS/7Max/7WSM etc. Otherwise, just buy a nutted barrel and wait on the next rifle.

I like both 280ai and 284 win and improved versions, but you already have 2 std boltface rifles. Either is a barrel away from being one of these. With a magnum boltface, you open options to all of the short fat cases. Assuming you reload, maybe look at 7SAUM/7SS/7Max/7WSM etc. Otherwise, just buy a nutted barrel and wait on the next rifle.
    Yup, those are all good options. I'd consider the 6.8 Western also. One of those sending 170 Bergers would be nasty out a good long ways.