• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes $2k 308 Bolt gun Optic?

shmavid777

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2022
MN, USA
So I am brand new to Long(ish) Range shooting and I am looking for some help with optic recommendations.

I have purchased a Bergara PDC LE with a 16" .308 barrel.
This is not a hunting type build, but a more "tactical" style rifle and my first foray into anything larger than 5.56.
Based on the round and barrel, I am expecting approx. 700m as max distance.

With all of this information, what should I be looking at optics wise. Ideally my budget is around $2k.
Options I have reviewed/considered so far:
-March 3-24x50
-Kahles K318i
-ZCO 4-20
-Leupold Mk5Hd 3.6-18x44 (current front runner)
-Burris XTRIII 3.3-18x50
-USO FDN 17x 3.2-17x50

Obviously there are several listed that are well outside this price range, but considering a "buy once, cry once" methodology, they were worth looking at.
What options am I missing? What about my current picks should I be wary of?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: JDB55
I have the Burris on a rifle. The knobs hurt my fingeeees and they zoom is stiff as fuck (only spun it a few times so far), exacerbating the problem.

But I'll be damned if it ain't got the field of view of a fucking bald eagle and the glass isn't getting complaints from me. I'd buy it again.

Reactions: shmavid777
Well if you’re going to be flexible beyond the 2k you initially specified, add the Tangent Theta 3-15x50 and the Hensoldt 3-26x56 to your list.

almost forgot: Schmidt Bender 5-20x50 US

Reactions: simonp
Looking in the same arena myself, but thinking of a pre. owned Minox ZP5 for ~$2200 or S&B PM2 for a little more, or a new razor 6-36....or for under 2K, Kahles 624 or Razor II 4-27, Vudu 5-25...

I like NF ATACR. Of your list it be ZCO 4-20 or Burris on the budget side

Burris XTR pro may be worth adding if the red accents don’t bother you. Also the Vortex Razor gen 2 or 3 are popular options but again some people don’t like the color. Whichever scope you choose there are plenty of hide vendors that can get you a good price.

Reactions: Average guy
700m is easy for any of those scopes, and many others. Save yourself a grand for ammo and pick up an used Athlon Cronus, Tract Toric, or something along that line. CameraLand is also getting rid of non-illuminated XTRIIIs for cheap...

Reactions: YotaEer
none of them are 'bad' choices maybe besides the march

pick a reticle and magnification range first. that will narrow down your choices

go find a match and finger bang some scopes too. that's one of the best ways to see how you like them

Some additional data of what I am considering:

-looking to keep things relatively lightweight. Around 30oz or less
-Min mag range: 3 to 4x
-Max mag range: 15 to 20x
-FFP
-Mil/Mrad reticle
-as far as reticle design goes, I have close to zero f'n clue of what I'm looking for. likely just keep things simple for my first optic and learn from there.

Some additional data of what I am considering:

-looking to keep things relatively lightweight. Around 30oz or less
-Min mag range: 3 to 4x
-Max mag range: 15 to 20x
-FFP
-Mil/Mrad reticle
-as far as reticle design goes, I have close to zero f'n clue of what I'm looking for. likely just keep things simple for my first optic and learn from there.

Leupold mk5
Burris XTR iii
NF ATACR 4-16

Find a used Vortex Gen 2 and then spend the remainder on ammo to practice.

I actually “downgraded” from a $2k+ scope to a Bushnell LRTS for 1/2 the price. It’s lighter, smaller, good glass, reliable and is plenty of magnification for 1k yard shooting.

I would recommend finding a used one that carries a great warranty so you get more bang for you buck.

AT the $2k price point, I would say NF NX8 4-32.

Not sure about the negative comment about the March, that's a good scope and if looking for a used one you might get to the $2k price target.

And the kind of long range shooting you want to do will make a difference in what works best. If you expect to do mostly set distance prone shooting you will have different priorities than if you are doing PRS style shooting.

If your budget is about $2k, you can cross off ZCO, otherwise I think the ZCO420 is the best do-everything optic on the market.

The Mk5 is good, but hard to get now, and pricing seems to have gone up since I got mine. The increase for illumination is tantamount to robbery.

The 4-16x42 ATACR is made for a shorty 308 in my brain. Look in the PX, and they will pop up occasionally in the $1800 range.

CameraLand has the American made Burris XTR3 3.3-18 for $999. I have not owned one, but have played around with them in stores. The $999 price is a deal, but the reticle is hard to use on low mag.

Used Kahles K-series can be found in the PX for barely over $2k. They seem to get a relatively bad wrap on this forum, but I really liked my 5-25. I think the Kahles is a great choice in the low $2k range.

I haven’t had the March or USO, so can’t comment on those optics.

I do agree that the Gen2 Razor is still a great optic, especially when you can get them in the $1600 range new. Bushy Elites have been good that I’ve owned/used, but are a step or two down from most others I’ve commented on in this post.

Lots of great choices/options out there right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonp
I have the Burris on a rifle. The knobs hurt my fingeeees and they zoom is stiff as fuck (only spun it a few times so far), exacerbating the problem.

But I'll be damned if it ain't got the field of view of a fucking bald eagle and the glass isn't getting complaints from me. I'd buy it again.

Post 2105. Makes a huge difference.

Under 30oz- maybe the Vortex Razor HD LHT for around $1200- or wait awhile for reviews on the Burris XTR3I to start rolling in. I'm tempted by the reviews and Cameralands price on the XTR3, but I'd rather pay another $200 and get illumination....
$1500 would get you a used Vudu 5-25 that weighs in around 29 1/2oz

Last edited:
Seeing a "like new" demo on a Eotech Vudu 5-25 with the MD3 reticle. Very compact and just sub 30oz.

Anyone have experience with this optic?

EDIT: seems to be a lot of CA at higher mag. I think I'll pass.

Last edited:
Under 30oz- maybe the Vortex Razor HD LHT for around $1200- or wait awhile for reviews on the Burris XTR3I to start rolling in. I'm tempted by the reviews and Cameralands price on the XTR3, but I'd rather pay another $200 and get illumination....
I agree on both fronts about the XTR3. Want the illumination and to see more reviews. Biggest things I am seeing so far is the turret "dragon scales" and the magnifier stiffness.

Steiner is certainly another good choice - it has the warranty others might not and depending on which scope you go with could fit your needs.

If your local (Colorado), you can stop by and checkout some of what your asking about - we have Schmidt 5-20's here, Tangent Theta, Steiner, Night Force, Leupold (Mark 5HD 3.6-18) & Burris. Not necessarily all the models maybe since most of ours are more magnification.

I think the Leupold for a less expensive MSRP in 3.6-18 is a great choice for a budget level do all scope in that price point. I shoot a lot of the other scopes as well and there are reasons to use them over the Leupold, but the Leupold is light, has adequate magification and the glass is decent for out to 700 yards.

I have a 1-8 Schmidt and feel like its not enough magnification for the shooting I do at 500+ so wanted more but needed to keep the optic light weight - that was why I chose the Mark 5 - I had a Tangent 3-15 30mm tube but not enough elevation for my .223 and I couldn't get a scope base to increase it before a match - but its optics I felt were better than the Mark 5 - but the price is way different as well. But just to give you my thinking - the Leupold wasn't a budgetary choice for me, it was a performance question.

So long story short, don't rule out optics based on cost, but try to figure out your use case and prioritize the most important features and if possible try one out (maybe a friends) to see if it works for you. Fortunatly everything and likely be sold if it doesn't work for you :)

Reactions: Average guy
I have been using a USO FDN17x for awhile. No complaints whatsoever.

Here's an earlier thread on them.

I verified the tracking and reticle subtensions on mine using a homemade tracking fixture, and it's spot-on.

The glass is quite good and I really like the JVCR reticle. In blue illumination

I run Bushnell 3.5-21 on my 308. The G3 reticle is uncluttered. Its half your budget. Japanese made.

Attachments

• 20220211_104731.jpg
    20220211_104731.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 34
Thank you everyone for input.

Settled on the Leupold Mk 5 HD 3.6-18.
Snagged a PR1-mil illuminated for sub $2k from Liberty.

Now to find a Spuhr SP-5002.

Gotta start somewhere. Being an idiot when it comes to this stuff is sort of my specialty.
EQeYUBXXsAAtvnr

I have the Mk5 3.6-18 also, it's a great optic. You might find yourself wishing for a little more top-end magnification if/when you start pushing the envelope on distance for a .308, but it's a more-than-capable scope.

Seeing a "like new" demo on a Eotech Vudu 5-25 with the MD3 reticle. Very compact and just sub 30oz.

Anyone have experience with this optic?

EDIT: seems to be a lot of CA at higher mag. I think I'll pass.
I have one on a DTA covert just because it’s the only scope short enough to still fit a clip on thermal.

Glass seems dull to me.

I’d look at
ZCO 420
NF 4-16x42
K318i
Minox 3-15

^ I own / owned the first 3 and have a 5-25 minox. They are all impressive options.

I'd do the Mark 5. Light, clear, good power range, quality company.