• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 3 fps deviation out of 6.5x47

Prebanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Akron Ohio Summit
Today while at the range, I chronoed a fellow shooters rounds. I was highly impressed by his deviation in FPS. 5 rounds chrono on my magneto speed and he had a 3 fps deviation in between his five rounds. He was shooting a 6.5x47. He was 2947-2950. I am around a 20 fps deviation. What are your usual deviations.

With all of our 6.5x47 and 6x47, less than 10fps ES and most times are right around 5 fps. Same goes for the 338 Edge.

I don't know if I'm suddenly getting better at making precision ammo (not likely) or 6.5x47L is a very forgiving cartridge - I'm getting single digit SD more frequently than I ever did with .308WIN.

I'd prefer to think that it was a fluke...that is .1%...I'd bet that even the Magnetospeed isn't that accurate. Bell shaped curves being what they are, you hit the small end. JMHO

My current load of 40.8 gr H4350, CCI 450 and 140 Hybrid is typically giving me 14 ES and 4 SD's. Typical sub 1/2 moa 5-shot groups @ 950 yds. Now if I could just get the dang thing sighted in properly to hit the center of the target instead of low right.

Alan

I should point out that switching from GM205M to CCI 450 make my groups collapse onto each other and my SD drop to single digits.

I should point out that switching from GM205M to CCI 450 make my groups collapse onto each other and my SD drop to single digits.

I am not much of a group shooter but I starded using the CCI 450 and the consistancy at range has been stunning.

It was an almost religious experience for me having tuned a load using N550 to the point where it was shooting better than any of my other combos, yet I had a feeling my rifle could do much better than 1MOA. On a whim I switched to the CCI 450s and ran the same load and couldn't believe my eyes as not only was every hole touching, they were well overlapping.

Just remember that just because your ES & SD is great doesn`t mean accuracy will be. Tried AR Comp in 308, Lapua brass, 175gr Berger, Pacnor barrel, Mcmillan stock, Jewell trigger, ES & SD were single digit but accuracy was terrible, 1 moa @ 300yds. Getting ready to try some H-4895 & Varget instead. I want my rifles shooting at least 3/4" at that 300yds or back to drawing board.

True, but SD & ES seem to be a good way to gage how uniform your loads are, both in component combination and handloading technique. But as you say, those parameters do not determine load accuracy.

Just remember that just because your ES & SD is great doesn`t mean accuracy will be. Tried AR Comp in 308, Lapua brass, 175gr Berger, Pacnor barrel, Mcmillan stock, Jewell trigger, ES & SD were single digit but accuracy was terrible, 1 moa @ 300yds. Getting ready to try some H-4895 & Varget instead. I want my rifles shooting at least 3/4" at that 300yds or back to drawing board.

Do you mean 3/4 moa at 300 yards? Not saying it is impossible but trying to get 3/4" consistently at 300 yards sounds like the path towards insanity.