• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

3 mile impacts!

MACHTECH

Say cheese!
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2017
    Michigan
    Congratulations to @tnester1 and @Nelsonr2 on their 3 mile impacts! The .416 Barrett Match was the ticket. Thanks again to Rob Vestal for getting the rifle's done in time for the trip.
    IMG_20200803_081406959_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_20200803-055841~2.png

Screenshot_20200803-043149~2.png

I'm honestly a little surprised there aren't setups with the optic completely to the left side of the rifle to allow for unimpeded drastic elevation corrections.
    The optical correction required to do that would eliminate all adjustability in the scope. The reticle would have to be calibrated to intersect the path of the bullet at one specific point in space rather than be adjustable to differing ranges, windages and elevations.

The optical correction required to do that would eliminate all adjustability in the scope. The reticle would have to be calibrated to intersect the path of the bullet at one specific point in space rather than be adjustable to differing ranges, windages and elevations.

You couldn't run a parallel zero like most do with NVG and lasers? It's also called an infinity zero IIRC.

Reactions: MCHOG and Ledzep
    You couldn't run a parallel zero like most do with NVG and lasers? It's also called an infinity zero IIRC.

same here if its 2" off to the left then zero it 2" off to the left

at 3 miles (which is crazy) no one is aiming the difference

unless it messes with body position and recoil management

what is the TOF that far out?

velocity?

Reactions: MCHOG and Ledzep

Exactly. Same as the M1C/M1D, Zfk31/42 and 43, etc. A guy could make a pivoting base with probably 5-10 degrees of elevation before the occular lens got away from your face far enough to be unusable.

At what point does it turn from a rifle into artillery?
    At a lot less than three miles!

Seriously cool engineering here. would love to see some more details on, well, everything!

Also, the wind calls and corrections by the shooters are barely fathomable. All the engineering in the world doesn’t replace a guy who had to figure it out and squeeze the round off.

Very cool stuff. Now, how about 4 miles? Who is on it?

Sirhr

I am especially interested in the optics reflectors. Custom made? Adapted? Brilliant solution, but I bet a lot more complex than meets the eye. No pun intended.

On ‘artillery,’ I still use a pendulum hausse. And trig tables. Think of the ease of sighting a Tredegar Mountain rifle with one of those setups!

Cheers, Sirhr

Oh and just because someone has to:

1596506036033.jpeg

Reactions: deersniper
    I am especially interested in the optics reflectors. Custom made? Adapted? Brilliant solution, but I bet a lot more complex than meets the eye. No pun intended.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic

On ‘artillery,’ I still use a pendulum hausse. And trig tables. Think of the ease of sighting a Tredegar Mountain rifle with one of those setups!

Cheers, Sirhr

Oh and just because someone has to:

View attachment 7390577
    Charlie tarac macro or the fancy dial version and a delta tarac

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
    How many rounds does it take to make a hit? I am assuming these are not first round cold bore impacts?
    That would be a correct assumption. Lol.

I hit on my 15th and last round of my 2nd string. In a 10-15mph highly variable wind, and with a rifle I had never shot, it took me a bit of a learning curve to see how much the wind would effect the bullet.

Reactions: MCHOG and jasent