• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

30/06 TO 308 HELP

DBONE536

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2010
WINNSBORO SC
I Had alot of 30/06 cases that I FL re-sized and trimed to 308 Winchester I used 308 FL WIN dies . The 30/06 cases also Winchester all the cases are new trimed to 2.005 but they will not allow the bolt to close.What to you think is wrong thanks dbone

Re: 30/06 TO 308 HELP

Check the neck diameter of a loaded round on both cases. The place you cut the 30-06 brass back to is in the middle of the body where the brass is much thicker.

I bet they were a pain to size too?

First guess is the shoulder isn't set back far enough. Second guess is that the sides have bulged out from the force of shouldering and compressing the neck. My questions are how many are a lot and why?

I agree the neck area is now too thick.you will have to trim the necks down a bit.and yeah I would also bet it was a pain to resze the 06 brass too 308.lots of resizeing lube was well needed.just hope the press is OK from the resizeing of the brass.

As well, sizing with a small base die would be in order.

Experience is the best teacher. Not that I would have tried... But, I would have never thought about the body being thicker than the mouth.

I read (on another forum) about some guys doing this a year or so back. They reported no issues on the first firing as .308's. However, they ran into accuracy issues on the second firing session and the third and stopped when they could not figure out why the reloaded brass/ammo was okay only for the first reloading.

FYI. If it happens to you I hope you figure it out and come back to tell us why. I've thought about doing the same thing a year or so back when it seemed like 30.06 brass was so much easier to come by than .308 brass. Good luck with it.

81-

I suspected that the accuracy degradation that you're talking about is because of the major discontinuity in thickness of the brass as you get to the turned neck that has 0.010" off it and the thick shoulder area which isn't going to move under pressure the same way the thinner shoulder/neck would.

The guys having the issues doing this, did they ever anneal the neck/shoulder area? After all the cold work they did to the brass to get it sized down for a 308 chamber they put many cycles worth of firing on it and the neck/shoulder will be very hard. This is known to cause bullet release and chamber seal issues with poor accuracy results.

For shits and giggles, I sized some '06 cases down to 308.

Trim to the neck/shoulder
Size in FL 308 die
Small base size
Trim to proper length
Expand neck
Ream neck (to remove donut)
Seat bullet
Function test

Without turning the neck, thickness is .015 which is in the acceptable range. If the neck is not reamed, the donut will create a neck too large for chambering once a bullet is seated.

I'll make up a batch of 20 and see what they do over a series of loadings. With and without annealing.

What a lot of effort to go to.

It would have been easier if you annealed the brass before sizing it to a .308 case.

As mentioned above the brass in your neck area will now be thicker so a neck turn might be required.

Me, I'd buy a .30-'06.

Cheaper and more productive in the long run.

...Or, I'd sell the old .30-'06 brass and buy me some new .308 brass.

Anything else makes me wonder who has <span style="font-style: italic">waaaay</span> too much time on their hands...

...All we seem to be doing here is investing good time and money into making inferior .308 brass.

Greg

get a RCBS trim die:
run a lubed 06 case into die,
cut off with a hacksaw,
trim the case with an electric trimmer (really cleans them up nice,
The case should chamber without a problem in a non-custom (non-tight neck) chambered rifle. Have done it many times. It is a time consuming operation. Do not expect to get as many firing from the cut down cases as you normally would, unless you anneal the cases. You are cutting off most of the original annealing.

Good luck

Jerry