• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 BLK - Micro 5" Sub Loads?

AK-49

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2022
Alaska
Hey all, long time lurker first time poster, love all the data on this site! I'm a regular hand loader for 458 SOCOM, 338 Lapua, and 308 Win primarily, and now jumping into the 300 BLK game. Stamp finally came through after 182 days, so I'm ready to kick off this project.

Primarily, I haven't seen much data on 5" barrels with subs for this caliber. Wondering if anyone has notes to share, while I wait on primers (they are a B to locate these days and I don't have any SR stashed).

The pistol sports a 5" SLR micro, 1/6 twist behind a Rugged 7.62 can. Have 220 gr Berry's plated, brass, Lil' Gun and VV110 on hand. Powder has been a little more available lately but still haven't found any AA1680 or VV120 locally. Have Chrony also, of course.

Glad to be here, and any thoughts on 5" or similar 300 BLK sub loads are welcome, thanks!

20220727_140844.jpg

Created a profile just to follow this. Waiting for a Rugged Micro 30 myself to attach to a 5.5" barrel.
Following this. Let me know if you've had any experience since posting this.

My can won't be released until maybe June next year at the going rate.

Good deal! No data here yet as I just was able to get primers (finally) and we're starting a move. Likely will get the reloading bench setup at the new location and initial ladder tests loaded over winter and start unloading in spring. Will definitely add my notes here as I go.

Reactions: CameToDefeatYou
For 300BLK subs I uses 10-11 grains of Hornady H110 or Accurate 1680; anything much lighter and not sure you’ll get enough velocity to stabilize the bullet and risk baffle strikes in your can.

I’d go down .1 grain at a time to get what you want, and wouldn’t run it with the can until you find the floor (no key holing, etc.) at whatever distance you choose to zero your loads.

FWIW, I also zero my 300BLK subs at 25 yards/supers at 50 yards.

For 300BLK subs I uses 10-11 grains of Hornady H110 or Accurate 1680; anything much lighter and not sure you’ll get enough velocity to stabilize the bullet and risk baffle strikes in your can.

I’d go down .1 grain at a time to get what you want, and wouldn’t run it with the can until you find the floor (no key holing, etc.) at whatever distance you choose to zero your loads.

FWIW, I also zero my 300BLK subs at 25 yards/supers at 50 yards.

Thanks - seems on par with all my other research as well. Wish I could find any A1680 in state (seems to be the gold standard for 300BLK), but do have H110 around as well as some other good options.

What size barrel are you running? I'm curious in any starting point adjustments with the 5". I've heard "good luck loading for that barrel" a dozen times but not much for details...

Fun problem to have though 🤓