• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Norma Mag

Nowhere on my order details did I ask for improved.. I asked for was a .341 neck/.235 freebore 300 norma. Did I order something wrong on my end. Thanks... its LRI

Nowhere on my order details did I ask for improved.. I asked for was a .341 neck/.235 freebore 300 norma. Did I order something wrong on my end. Thanks... its LRI

They are a solid builder with a great reputation. Mistakes happen.

Perhaps @LongRifles Inc. can clear this up for you and provide some clarity on what reamer you are dealing with so you can get the appropriate dies.

Reactions: TankFrank
It shot lights out 1/4" group 3011 fps
230 hybrids
86.6 gr H1000
SD 4.1
2.755 CBTO
Similar with RL33 and IMR 8133. Just slightly diffrent velocities.

Can't wait till after they are all fire formed and the real work up starts.

One more question guys... and then I'll slow down with the posts. Is it ok to fire form all the brass through the gun?

So I headspaced the barrel on my RPR with these "300 Norma Mag Magnum CIP Headspace Gauges" from PTG. Is this unsafe to continue fire forming my brass?

Thanks guys...

Can you run this load in your software rgtools seems not to be working , N565 , 198 Warner tool Flatlines, seems 84 to 86 grn could make it but any info will be appreciate it, thanks
I can't run the load in either QuickLOAD or GRT as the Warner Flatlines are not included in their bullet databases.

However, load data for the Warner 198gr Flatline is already included in the PDF I posted (Dan Warner made it).
Line number 16 on the first page:
N565 86,3gr 96% fill, 99,38% burn, 3148fps.

So you ordered the barrel from LRI, and installed the barrel using a headspace gauge for a standard 300NM?

I would full stop, order the correct gauge, re-headspace, toss all your previously fired brass into a well marked bucket so you don’t take measurements based off those cases, fire form a new round for all you measurements, continue as normal making sure you properly size all your brass to the new headspace.

So you ordered the barrel from LRI, and installed the barrel using a headspace gauge for a standard 300NM?

I would full stop, order the correct gauge, re-headspace, toss all your previously fired brass into a well marked bucket so you don’t take measurements based off those cases, fire form a new round for all you measurements, continue as normal making sure you properly size all your brass to the new headspace.
Yes that us correct.

New to this. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with brass.
Lapua 300 norma brass new on the left and once fired on the right. That seems like alot of stretch.
That’s a 30 degree improved version I had them get when I ordered mine. 341 neck 235 freebore. If not it’s really close. If this come chambered from LRI.

I don't know that I would go quite this far. Get in touch with LRI and get the low down on your chamber. Your brass has the same length from head to bottom of neck as the unfired brass. For shooting in your own rifle you are probably going to be just fine. Downside is you need the improved die set but if you order another barrel and headspace the same your brass should be good to go... LRI will probably have a recommendation and I bet they tell you the headqpacing is fine.

I don't know that I would go quite this far. Get in touch with LRI and get the low down on your chamber. Your brass has the same length from head to bottom of neck as the unfired brass. For shooting in your own rifle you are probably going to be just fine. Downside is you need the improved die set but if you order another barrel and headspace the same your brass should be good to go... LRI will probably have a recommendation and I bet they tell you the headqpacing is fine.
I spoke to Chad form LRI and he is going to take care of me. I get it. No one is perfect. I am still very impressed with this barrel and company. He seems like a great guy to deal with. Thank you everyone for your advice and input on this situation.

Reactions: 65rpr and kthomas
Soooooooo anyone else have 225 eldms vaporize coming out of their norma???? Loaded up a batch of 20 today for some load testing. 26" proof steel prefit on a axmc 1/9 twist. Labradar says average speed was 2950. nothing was hitting the target at 100....Super pissed now so I move to 50 still NOTHING..okay 25 yards and what do you know...it looks like I hit the target with a shotgun with buckshot....I shake my head in disbelief and walk to my target and there are pieces of shiny copper jacket laying everywhere in front of my muzzle. I have seen this happen with the 147s anyone see this happen with the 225s?

Last edited:
I shot the 225s in the Vitrix ELR match last weekend all the way out to 2,012 yards with no issues. Shot very with 28" 1 in 9 twist LRI barrel going 3040ish FPS.

Soooooooo anyone else have 225 elms vaporize coming out of their norma???? Loaded up a batch of 20 today for some load testing. 26" proof steel prefit on a axmc 1/9 twist. Labradar says average speed was 2950. nothing was hitting the target at 100....Super pissed now so I move to 50 still NOTHING..okay 25 yards and what do you know...it looks like I hit the target with a shotgun with buckshot....I shake my head in disbelief and walk to my target and there are pieces of shiny copper jacket laying everywhere in front of my muzzle. I have seen this happen with the 147s anyone see this happen with the 225s?

That sucks bro. I've only shot the factory loads but the velocity was right around 2950. Were you running suppressed? If so I would look inside to see if there are any clues.

On second thought its probably your reloading dies, LOL! Sorry I couldn't resist.

Reactions: Huskydriver
That sucks bro. I've only shot the factory loads but the velocity was right around 2950. Were you running suppressed? If so I would look inside to see if there are any clues.

On second thought its probably your reloading dies, LOL! Sorry I couldn't resist.

Lol I tried it both suppressed and unsuppressed... Nothing inside the can thank goodness...lol die situation is resolved

Soooooooo anyone else have 225 elms vaporize coming out of their norma???? Loaded up a batch of 20 today for some load testing. 26" proof steel prefit on a axmc 1/9 twist. Labradar says average speed was 2950. nothing was hitting the target at 100....Super pissed now so I move to 50 still NOTHING..okay 25 yards and what do you know...it looks like I hit the target with a shotgun with buckshot....I shake my head in disbelief and walk to my target and there are pieces of shiny copper jacket laying everywhere in front of my muzzle. I have seen this happen with the 147s anyone see this happen with the 225s?

Newb here! What caused it? Thanks.

150 plus out of a 27” 8.5T Bart. at 2970 with zero complaints beyond 2K Yds. Hate to hear these things as I’ve always been a Hornady fan...

Soooooooo anyone else have 225 eldms vaporize coming out of their norma???? Loaded up a batch of 20 today for some load testing. 26" proof steel prefit on a axmc 1/9 twist. Labradar says average speed was 2950. nothing was hitting the target at 100....Super pissed now so I move to 50 still NOTHING..okay 25 yards and what do you know...it looks like I hit the target with a shotgun with buckshot....I shake my head in disbelief and walk to my target and there are pieces of shiny copper jacket laying everywhere in front of my muzzle. I have seen this happen with the 147s anyone see this happen with the 225s?

Sorry HD, Have shot well over 500 of same bullet, never an issue other than the pressure issue I had all of a sudden almost a year ago.

Would like to hear what you find when you get it sorted out.

Steve

Sir I saw About this problem by this part of the world, mainly with ELD X , I saw 220 in a 300 RUM that felt shooting like a shotgun, this happened mostly when your VO reaches 3000 FPS, he start feeling something weir And primary he thought his muzzle break was tricking him, so I asked to remove the brake and the group was a single hole, the he told me if I could lend him my Cadex brake and that was the worst situation, the brake is completely destroyed I ll post pictures, then we realize why some hits felt like shotgun ones , mainly the tips are desintegrating because of VO

• Wow
The 225gr ELDMs shoot terrible for me.

First round out is good, the second one not so bad, rounds 3, 4, and 5, are a shotgun blast.

Come to find out the tips get flattened in the magazine. I suspect they are sliding forward.

The 230gr Bergers shoot very well, so I guess I'll stick with those from now on.

Shot some of the 250gr A-Tips out of my 300NM today.

Hornady 250gr A-Tip
Peterson Brass
Federal #215 Primers
Retumbo

No Pressure Signs

I'll further explore 86.0 - 86.5 grains

View attachment 7147622
@Yerman I shoot today 250 s with N565 84.5 grn, those were lights out at 2935 average really impressive, but I think I m on maximun with N565, will slow down 1% to stay in more secure zone, but seems that contact surface is lower than 230 and they go out really fast, I was not convinced to drive them so fast. This is also a drop test, I know you guys talk in inches but I ve done in cm, test is at 100 and 300 in order to match tables from balistic app. Full list is Lapua brass CCI 250 primers, N565 84.5grn, 250 A TIPs DA and weather in pictures, SD was amazing

Attachments

• IMG_20191109_123725.jpg
    IMG_20191109_123725.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20191109_124017.jpg
    IMG_20191109_124017.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 211
  • Screenshot_20191109_124415_com.borisov.strelokpro.jpg
    Screenshot_20191109_124415_com.borisov.strelokpro.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 136

Damn. 225g ELD-M’s are superb out of my 28" 1/9" Bartlein. Average right at 3025 FPS on those. Could perhaps have defective batch... that’s the only reason one would be slinging jackets off of them at your velocity.

What‘s your load data for those?

Damn. 225g ELD-M’s are superb out of my 28" 1/9" Bartlein. Average right at 3025 FPS on those. Could perhaps have defective batch... that’s the only reason one would be slinging jackets off of them at your velocity.

What‘s your load data for those?

225 ELDM (obviously :LOL: ) 84 grains of Retumbo, mag primer, 5x fired norma brass annealed every firing, seated .020 off the lands. I only bought 100 so it very well could be a bad batch.

225 ELDM (obviously :LOL: ) 84 grains of Retumbo, mag primer, 5x fired norma brass annealed every firing, seated .020 off the lands. I only bought 100 so it very well could be a bad batch.

Ha! Same powder charge as my loading too. 2.85" BTO, .010" off.

Would be interesting to see the results if you tried a different batch of them.

Ha! Same powder charge as my loading too. 2.85" BTO, .010" off.

Would be interesting to see the results if you tried a different batch of them.

I got the other 80 left...I am kind of torn how to load them though. Thinking I might load 10 at like 81 grains maybe 80 then do another at 82 to see if they stabilize. Def not shooting these with my can on again until I can confirm clean holes at 100

I got the other 80 left...I am kind of torn how to load them though. Thinking I might load 10 at like 81 grains maybe 80 then do another at 82 to see if they stabilize. Def not shooting these with my can on again until I can confirm clean holes at 100

Yeah, I hear you there. Might try loading a few at 82g but try jamming them .005" or so. The jacket destruction could be from a "fast-start" (initiation pressure) anomaly. Jamming them will prevent that. Regardless, definitely odd behavior.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Yeah, I hear you there. Might try loading a few at 82g but try jamming them .005" or so. The jacket destruction could be from a "fast-start" (initiation pressure" anomaly.
good idea. I will load the first 10 at the lands.

Hornady 225 ELD-M
81.0 grains H1000
Federal Large Rifle Magnum
Lapua brass
0.020" off the lands (jump)
2900 fps ES: 14 SD: 5
30" Bartlein 1:9 twist

Very accurate load; shot a 10 shot group at 100 yards you could cover with a nickle to chronograph and obtain MV.
Update Feb 01 - this load/barrel has sped up to 2945 fps after 150 rounds down the tube; still shooting very well

Last edited:
Reactions: generalzip
Have you tried retumbo or rl33? Seems guys can get around 3000 with good accuracy especially with a 30” barrel

This is mind blowing. Finally got in touch with the folks at Capstone to get load data for the 300 NM I just had re chambered. It has an 11 twist 28" barrel with a couple of hundred rounds through it before I had it changed to the NM. They give me a start load of 89.0 gr N570, and a max of 93.7 gr for the 210 gr vld hunter. I started at 88.0 and worked up slowly to 92.7! All primers look fine and no bolt marks on the case heads or heavy bolt lift. 92.7 put all 3 in an area roughly the size of the case head at 123 yards. ES was 4. I wont even mention velocity, as my chrony must be off by a good deal based on what I have recorder with other rifles chambered in different cartridges.

Has anyone been shooting 230 a tips in there 300NM?
I have to admit, I thought about it pretty hard.

I ended up talking myself out of it. The Berger 230gr Hybrid just shoots fantastic from my rifle. And at the end of the day, tjats my hunting round, which the Atip cant replace.

So I'll be a spectator on this one. Look forward to seeing how it does.