• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

I understand that. Would it be long enough for the 300 PRC?

Nope. You ideally need 3.850 CIP mags to run to heavies. Or at least the 3.775 mags to fit rounds of 3.675 COAL. Hornady just seated them slighlty deeper with the 225 factory ammo to work with those 3.775 mags. But the 3.850 CIP mags that take the COAL of 3.750 are ideal.

Reactions: pengilly
@jwknutson17,
I appreciate the info. I just figured that with the 300 PRC that it may would work as the overall length could be less than the .300wm which I thought the whole point of the 300 PRC was easier loading of the longer bullets.

Here is some measurements I have in one of my rifles..

300 PRC..
3.700 coal to lands with the 225 Eldm
3.662 coal to lands with the 212 eldx
3.727coal to lands with the 215 Hybrids

For reference, the AXMC 2018 profile 300 Win mag barrel I just got, the 215 hybrids are at the lands at 3.680. Not sure what reamer was used though.

Last edited:
@jwknutson17,
I appreciate the info. I just figured that with the 300 PRC that it may would work as the overall length could be less than the .300wm which I thought the whole point of the 300 PRC was easier loading of the longer bullets.

While the case is shorter, I dont believe the goal was make COAL shorter then the 300 Win mag. With the 300 win mag, it doesn't make sense to shoot those super log heavy pills anyway. Have to seat them way to0 deep taking up case capacity when you are limited to COAL by your magazine. With the PRC, we have more case volume, shorter case length, and we dont have to press in those heavier pills that deep into the case.

@DAVETOOLEY has a shorter reamer now for 300PRC for those like yourself that don't have the extra length in the mags. Give him a shout and I'm sure he can get you straight. It will be an improvement still over the 300WM.

I just placed an order for a Christensen Arms Mesa 300PRC. I'm not up to date on the R700 copied action which I believe thats all a Christensen Arms is? This is going to be a hunting rifle only, I'm looking to add a 5 RD detach mag/ Bottom metal. What would be the BEST option for this? This will be my first 700 based rifle. I'm a qualified gunsmith for a company within the industry so inletting will be a breeze for me. just not R700 savy.

Thank you!!!

I just placed an order for a Christensen Arms Mesa 300PRC. I'm not up to date on the R700 copied action which I believe thats all a Christensen Arms is? This is going to be a hunting rifle only, I'm looking to add a 5 RD detach mag/ Bottom metal. What would be the BEST option for this? This will be my first 700 based rifle. I'm a qualified gunsmith for a company within the industry so inletting will be a breeze for me. just not R700 savy.

Thank you!!!
Dont do it!!!!!!
Its a step backwards on a hunting rifle.

Whats so wrong with CA? I know a few people that LOVE theirs and have nothing but good things to say about them.

Whats so wrong with CA? I know a few people that LOVE theirs and have nothing but good things to say about them.
Hes saying DBM on a hunting rifle

Reports of their carbon barrels having major shift issues

They're just not popular here. Different market. Most of us here hunt with custom actions in manners. Or even chassis. Not 7-9 pound complete rifles

Reactions: BirdHunter91
Hes saying DBM on a hunting rifle

Reports of their carbon barrels having major shift issues

They're just not popular here. Different market. Most of us here hunt with custom actions in manners. Or even chassis. Not 7-9 pound complete rifles
He is talking about a hunting rifle. Im not sure how much shift would take place shooting once or twice at a time. I hunt with a factory rifle and not nearly as high end as a CA rifle and take 6-8 deer a year plus pigs and everything else.

Good thing we all have choices. Including whether or not to use a dbm on a hunting rifle. Lol

Just picked up an AXMC in 300WM and planning to do a 300 PRC barrel.

Looking at the Berger stability calculator it seems 9 twist is good enough even down at 2750fps at sea level for adequate stability for the 215 hybrid, 230 hybrid, and 225 ELD-M. Thinking of having Bartlein spin me up a 9.75 to 9 gain twist heavy palma.

Next question... what's the current consensus on barrel length? I was thinking of going 28" or even 30"... this isn't going to be a rifle I carry around. I need to play around in Quickload, but thought I'd ask for any real-world numbers...

It's a personal preference thing on the DBM. I know it has its pros and cons. I prefer to have a Detach mag on a hunting rifle. So to furter ask my question... The PRC is based off of a STANDARD LA and not a LM LA? correct, so a 300WM LA length DBM would fit my bill as long as I get one that accepts the longer OACL?

Thanks for the opinions and feedback.

Here is some measurements I have in one of my rifles..

300 PRC..
3.700 coal to lands with the 225 Eldm
3.662 coal to lands with the 212 eldx
3.620 coal to lands with the 215 Hybrids

For reference, the AXMC 2018 profile 300 Win mag barrel I just got, the 215 hybrids are at the lands at 3.680. Not sure what reamer was used though.

Those numbers seem odd to me. I have had several 30 Noslers and a 300 PRC. The 225 Eld touches within .010 in each due to the short bearing surface of the 215 allowing it to seat further out. In each case the 215 is actually longer overall.

Any news on brass, who's going to make it and when

It's a personal preference thing on the DBM. I know it has its pros and cons. I prefer to have a Detach mag on a hunting rifle. So to furter ask my question... The PRC is based off of a STANDARD LA and not a LM LA? correct, so a 300WM LA length DBM would fit my bill as long as I get one that accepts the longer OACL?

Thanks for the opinions and feedback.
You will want a 300WM CIP length magazine & bottom metal to ensure you have space with a 300 PRC.

Reactions: BirdHunter91
No, not with long ELD/VLD bullets. Might work with blunt hunting bullets but that'd be about it. (About Tikka t3 and 300 prc)

Those numbers seem odd to me. I have had several 30 Noslers and a 300 PRC. The 225 Eld touches within .010 in each due to the short bearing surface of the 215 allowing it to seat further out. In each case the 215 is actually longer overall.

I'll have to go back and look at my notes on the 215 to confirm.

Reactions: rfurman24
What's the consensus with the hornady match dies.... Bushing or no bushing?

My oal was measured at 3.717" FYI.

Can someone do me a favor and send me the measurements of some loaded rounds. I forgot to order bushings like a complete dumbass! I'm so pissed at myself and ruined all my plans to load ammo and shoot the one day off I had in 2 weeks! Damn it!

I believe I need the .336 bushing.

Neck Bushing size should be calculated on the following formula: (2xCNT)+BD-NT-SB=BS

Or twice the Case Neck Thickness PLUS Bullet Diameter MINUS your desired Neck Tension MINUS Spring Back....

I think Hornady factory brass has a neck wall thickness of .015...but some people trim that to .013 for uniformity.
Bullet Diameter is .3088 or .309 for the ones I have
Neck Tension is whatever you want and most go with .003
Spring Back is about .001 with most brands of brass but yours may differ......so

Factory Brass

.015x2=.030..... .030+.309= .339.... .339-.003= .336.... .336-.001= .335 Bushing Size

and if your neck is different thickness than that...well...there is the math for the bushing.

I run a .334 bushing

Reactions: doctordoctor
Any news on brass, who's going to make it and when

I've called and emailed ADG...I've begged everyone I know to do the same and ask for when they will have 300PRC brass. I'm sure they will make the brass for the government....and will for us if we beg loud enough :)

I can drive down to Elizabethtown, KY and picket outside their offices if you'd like: "Free the 300PRC"

Anyone wanna help me make signs and practice on the chants?

• Haha
Reactions: jasent and Dooby
Can someone do me a favor and send me the measurements of some loaded rounds. I forgot to order bushings like a complete dumbass! I'm so pissed at myself and ruined all my plans to load ammo and shoot the one day off I had in 2 weeks! Damn it!

I believe I need the .336 bushing.

My bullets are .3082 and loaded rounds are .3365 or thereabouts. So I’d lean towards a .334 and a .335 bushing.

I've called and emailed ADG...I've begged everyone I know to do the same and ask for when they will have 300PRC brass. I'm sure they will make the brass for the government....and will for us if we beg loud enough :)

I can drive down to Elizabethtown, KY and picket outside their offices if you'd like: "Free the 300PRC"

Anyone wanna help me make signs and practice on the chants?

I've asked ADG about 300 PRC brass too.

On another note, anyone have an AMP and fire formed brass they can send to AMP for the AZTEC code? :D

I ordered all the bushings suggested. I will return and report. Hoping to get ammo loaded this weekend and get to the range Monday or Tuesday

Just picked up an AXMC in 300WM and planning to do a 300 PRC barrel.

Looking at the Berger stability calculator it seems 9 twist is good enough even down at 2750fps at sea level for adequate stability for the 215 hybrid, 230 hybrid, and 225 ELD-M. Thinking of having Bartlein spin me up a 9.75 to 9 gain twist heavy palma.

Next question... what's the current consensus on barrel length? I was thinking of going 28" or even 30"... this isn't going to be a rifle I carry around. I need to play around in Quickload, but thought I'd ask for any real-world numbers...

I'm curious, as well. I'm thinking about building one for fun as a ELR prone rig, so I don't really care about weight. I'm even considering a 1.250" straight barrel, but I'm not sure where barrel length needs to be to get the most out of the heavies.

Uggg! Just heard back from ADG....they said they are looking into the 300PRC....and if they do decide to make brass...it will be next year :(

Uggg! Just heard back from ADG....they said they are looking into the 300PRC....and if they do decide to make brass...it will be next year :(

I have talked to them many times and told them better get it out now before others do and they will be late to the market. They just said we are looking into it...

I would buy 300 cases right now. But if Peterson or Lapua came out with it tomorrow, they will get the business..

I have talked to them many times and told them better get it out now before others do and they will be late to the market. They just said we are looking into it...

I would buy 300 cases right now. But if Peterson or Lapua came out with it tomorrow, they will get the business..

My thinking is the same...I like ADG.....but I can't wait that long.

Reactions: camotoe
I’ll call ADG and ask too. More people asking can’t hurt lol

If you actually get a human when you call...simply ask them how many pieces from a group buy here at the Hide would it take for them to start producing? Depending on the price...I'd do 250-500 pieces.

Reactions: camotoe and Dooby
Bartlein 30” 5R 9 twist heavy varmint profile is where I’m starting for my 300 PRC build.

28-30" is what I was thinking since it will be a purely bench/belly gun, but it would be good to know how much advantage there really is to that long of a barrel.

I'm curious, as well. I'm thinking about building one for fun as a ELR prone rig, so I don't really care about weight. I'm even considering a 1.250" straight barrel, but I'm not sure where barrel length needs to be to get the most out of the heavies.

I have a barrel enroute from PacNor. 28", 1/8 twist, heavy palma, threaded, prefit for my savage 110LH.

I am going to hump the gun for the occasional hunt, hence the palma instead of heavy varmit/bull. Hopefully i didnt make a $500 mistake on the profile.

28-30" is what I was thinking since it will be a purely bench/belly gun, but it would be good to know how much advantage there really is to that long of a barrel.

The PRC case capacity basically splits the 300wm and the Norma, and those are typically shot with 26-28” barrels, with an extreme minority going longer. You’ll likely get 25-30 fps per inch of extra barrel, which if you run that through your ballistic Calc, basically adds that amount in yards to your supersonic range. At 2000 yards, an extra 25 fps makes for .4 less drop and drift(my home range) with a 225 ELD. Long way of saying it isn’t gonna matter much.

I called adg and they told me they are looking into it.

Can we get a group consensus on bushing size?

Hornady tells me 336 to 338.

But I've heard some of you are using 332 to 336...

I called adg and they told me they are looking into it.

Can we get a group consensus on bushing size?

Hornady tells me 336 to 338.

But I've heard some of you are using 332 to 336...

I just measured 10 pieces of factory loaded ammo. I had 5 at .337 and 5 at .338. So I would say a .335 would be just fine. I was using a .336 for a while and just switched to the .335.

Just corrected my post. The 215 is at the lands at 3.727

So am I correct in the consensus thought that the Saami spec is best for shooting factory ammo, and if you are a hand loader you want the short reamer Mr. Tooley has?

So am I correct in the consensus thought that the Saami spec is best for shooting factory ammo, and if you are a hand loader you want the short reamer Mr. Tooley has?

Why seat the bullets deeper if you don't have to? I wouldn't want the shorter reamer unless your limited to the action or rifle not taking CIP length mags. I personally would rather seat the pills further out as long as I have the mag length to do it.

If your switching from an existing 300 win mag, that only takes 3.715 magazines, the custom reamer is probably the best best. As your limited to COAL. At that point, yes you would have to reload.

I’m not a pro, just like shooting rifles but... From what have complied a shorter throat will minimize how much further out you have to seat the bullet to reach the lands.

Per Hornady load data H225 eld m 3.680” coal.

With a sammi thoat and H225 eld m,you would be at 3.730” coal touching the lands. .050” jump from 3.680”. You know to keep the lawyers happy due to factory ammo not always 3.680”...

Now if my notes are correct the 338 CIP mag has an internal length of 3.764”.

So if you seat at the lands with a sammi throat your left with about .034” room in the cip mag. Now as the throat erodes your going to be chasing the lands and encroaching more on the room you have left in the cip mag.

This cartridge was designed with the bullet seated out further in the case to achieve the velocity without higher pressures and seating a bullet way out in the neck like we do with our 300 WM loads to get the higher velocity.

So if Dave throats my chamber where the H225 bullet is touching the lands at 3.680” ill be able to reach the lands while maintaining the original design length of the cartridge and have plenty of room in my mag to chase the throat at it erodes.

Just my thoughts correct me if I’m wrong!

Your thinking is correct....

My Sammi cut chamber is at 3.700 with the 225 eld to the lands. 300 Win mag CIP mags can run a COAL of 3.750. Ill prob shoot out the barrel before I run out of mag length. If I am 20 thou off the lands making my COAL 3.680, I may never run out of mag length before the throat erodes enough to matter. We'll have to see with time. With the 215 bergers then maybe pending how you treat and shoot the rifle. If shooting the 212s you will never run out of mag length. Think it's a non issue unless your running them smoking hot and hard.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to try the Sierra 230 Matchking or the Berger 245 EOL if it ever becomes anything other than an internet myth.