• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

Damn, that's the exact setup I am looking to do. ADG Brass and 230 A-Tips. I only got retumbo, so I will probably start with that and see if I can find some RL26.

Thanks for the data!

Reactions: b2lee
Just put in a back order at powder valley they will fill it within 4months just got 16 lbs of h1k and rl26

Well...back from the range with some data. Today didn't go like I thought it would. First off...let's look at some speeds...and let's clarify the environmentals.

Temp: 49F
Elevation: 913ft ASL
Pressure: 30.13
Humidity: 68%
Winds: 7mph steady right to left....full value wind.

Brass: ADG Virgin brass. Was full length resized mostly due to the necks being a little small...a little too tight for the the bullets.
Bullets: Hornady A-Tip 230gr
Primer: FGMM 210M
Case Over ALL Length: 3.8050"
Gun: 300PRC Defiance Deviant with 28" Bartlein 1-9tw. TriggerTech Diamond. Lil'B brake. MDT ACC Chasis.
Scope: Vortex Viper PST Gen2 3x15 EBR-2C

Ok...now let's talk about powder. I took Vhitavouri N565 and Reloader 26 and loaded 76-79 grains in .5 increments. Then I arbitrarily before hand loaded 5 of each powder at 77.0 grains and 78.0 grains. Now let's look at the numbers.

Vhitavouri N565

1. 76.0gr 2863fps
2. 76.5gr 2853fps <-- weird
3. 77.0gr 2882fps
4. 77.5gr 2898fps
5. 78.0gr 2917fps <-- ejector marks
6. 78.5gr 2916fps <-- ejector marks
7. 79.0gr 2940fps <-- ejector marks and a swipe

All above shot at large center of middle diamond.

Next a 5 shot group of 77.0 grains of N565

1. 2877fps
2. 2879fps
3. 2877fps
4. 2878fps
5. 2879fps

Ok...incredible SD's there....man that looks good....but had a flyer...could have been me...but during loading, some of the seating pressures were extremely tough compared to others. Being virgin brass...I'll give the low flyer a pass...but the group looked promising. Group is located in the upper right diamond.

Next a 5 shot group of 78.0 grains of N565

1. 2924fps
2. 2921fps
3. 2922fps
4. 2919fps
5. 2915fps

Again...nice consistent velocities for virgin brass....but small sample size....however...the group is horrible. Top left Diamond. Looks like a shotgun pattern. Not one single hole touching another. Barrel was cooled between all groups today. I'm not liking the looks of that group vertically.

N565 Target Pic:

View attachment 7270975

What's that in the bottom right? It is a 'control' group...heh...actually it is 5 rounds of mixed powder and bullets that I was fouling the barrel with. I had just done a good scrubbing of the barrel the night before. You don't see 5 holes? The first shot was off paper to the right due to not looking at my scope dials and having the windage turrets moved 2 mils. IT's good to have those mistakes when not on the clock...when it doesn't matter.

Now....let us look at Reloader 26. The super unicorn stuff that I haven't had the pleasure of running in a 300PRC with a 230 grain A-Tip.

Again....loads from 76 to 79 grains in .5 grain increments. On target: Center large diamond.

1. 76.0gr 2932fps <---Well hello
2. 76.5gr 2946fps
3. 77.0gr 2964fps <---check for pressure...pressure ok
4. 77.5gr 2984fps <---check for pressure...still ok
5. 78.0gr 3005fps <---check for pressure....still ok...hmmm
6. 78.5gr 3033fps <---check for pressure...slight swipe visible.
7. 79.0gr 3071fps <---Holy crap....check for pressure...slight swipe visible....the last two the recoil had more of a snap.

Ok...I thought N565 was the answer to all my ills...but this RL-26 Unicorn Dust is looking like the real deal...so let's go shoot some 5 shot groups.

5 Shots of 77.0 grains of Reloader 26. On target: Bottom right hand diamond.

1. 2976fps
2. 2965fps
3. 2976fps
4. 2980fps
5. 2975fps

Well I can live with that. Pretty tight group...I know I caused that flyer by slapping the trigger...called it when I shot it.

5 Shots of 78.0 grains of Reloader 26. On target: Bottom left hand diamond.

1. 3028fps
2. 3031fps
3. 3029fps
4. 3031fps
5. 3030fps

Well...the speeds look fast...and consistent. I like that. The group looks pretty good too. The flyer wasn't me this time...well it could be...but I didn't call it when I shot...and everything felt good. Recoil pulse felt good. All brass looked good.

Reloader 26 Target:

View attachment 7270985

So...this is a VERY small data set. However, RL-26 with these 230 grain A-Tips look real promising for the upcoming ELR events. I'll take this now fire formed brass and do some more load development in the coming week and see if the data stays the same or changes slightly.

It was a fun day....kinda cloudy and a chill in the air...but it beats having to go to work today.

Well looks like I dont need my norma mag any more.. lol.

My ADG brass shows up tomorrow. Will be loading 215s and 230s. See how this brass does in the AXMC 27" Tooley barrel.

I've also found the necks to be way tight in the ADG brass in other calibers. Have to chamfer then size with expander or I cant even seat the bullet.

If that mid 3000 fps numbers hold true with the 230 and RL26. We have a winner.

I forgot to mention...all shots were fired over a MagnetoSpeedV3 Bayonet....not some flaky optical. If you look at the position of the impacts...you can probably guess at what angle I had the bayo attached. At 100 yards I do get noticeable deflection of my shots from the bayo.

If I were going to try and shoot the smallest groups possible...I'd remove the bayo.

So...thus saying...the mid 3000's readings are true...not the mis-readings of an old optical half in the sun...half in the shade. I had one of them a few months ago tell me I was shooting 225's in the mid 3400's...heh

I was hoping that N565 would be the winner...since I've been pimping it pretty hard.....and I got plenty of it....but with only 2lbs of RL-26...the bastard how to win out.

The part you're missing is chamber pressure.... If you care.

FWIW Hornady brass shows ejector swipes at about 73-75ksi most of the time. Food for thought when you start your testing .3gr over max load in thicker (assumption warning-- I haven't cross sectioned any ADG brass), harder brass. Granted, your seating depth way out there (provided it's not jamming into the lands) will lower pressure, but my guess is that most of what you posted is well over SAAMI pressure... again, if you care.

Reactions: abn31c and 4KDOA
The part you're missing is chamber pressure.... If you care.

FWIW Hornady brass shows ejector swipes at about 73-75ksi most of the time. Food for thought when you start your testing .3gr over max load in thicker (assumption warning-- I haven't cross sectioned any ADG brass), harder brass.

Purchasing a string gauge is on my list of things to buy....Trying to be a good steward and help with powder development for the GordonsReloadingTool software.

I am backing down from the max I tested. As you can see below... 79.0 grains of N565 and RL-26 is no bueno.

pressure.png

N565 on top....RL-26 on bottom

Purchasing a string gauge is on my list of things to buy....Trying to be a good steward and help with powder development for the GordonsReloadingTool software.

I am backing down from the max I tested. As you can see below... 79.0 grains of N565 and RL-26 is no bueno.

View attachment 7271179

N565 on top....RL-26 on bottom
Might be helpful if you could measure a unfired case vs a fired case at the webbing area if the ejector marks on that brass doesnt make you nervous.
Just trying to help, some asshole is going to come along and hammer you for posting those loads.

Reactions: Dewey7271
Might be helpful if you could measure a unfired case vs a fired case at the webbing area if the ejector marks on that brass doesnt make you nervous.
Just trying to help, some asshole is going to come along and hammer you for posting those loads.

Length grew by 2thou on the RL-26 and 2.5thou on the N565. Base...I can't see any measurable expansion in any other direction...if anything...since I didn't measure these exact ones before firing... half a thou?

Might be two good candidates for a cross section cut.

My load will most likely be in the 77.0gr area...but as it warms up outside...I may have to go lower. I never keep ammo long enough to worry about seasonal changes from stored precision rounds.

I decided chasing the speed dragon was bad for my health so I just hang out in the slow lane nowadays driving my 225 at 2925 :cool:

I found a great Retumbo load for my rifle in the 2931fps or so area...with the 225 ELD-M's...and for 1200yds and in...that's my load.

It is consistent....and much easier on my wallet and barrel life.

My earlier tests were mainly for 1760-3000 yard shots...which hopefully will work for me...I know I'm ok out to 2500yds..and then my wheels fall of due to scope adjustment and wind reading...well hell...because anything further than a mile is just stupid hard.

I’ve thought about that and the 300 Norma improved
while available, the norma boltface is not quite as easy/available as a normal magnum and if i can get a 215/220 to 3100-3200 im all set

amazing how small geometry changes effect powders so much

RL-33 gave me all kinds of early pressure signs. I have almost a full 1lb container I needs to trade someone.

I'll get some numbers for everyone on the 22" I picked up yesterday with RL26 and the 215s. Fritz does some great work. This will be my first non Tooley 300 PRC barrel but I have no doubt it will hammer.

Lone peak fusion TI in a manners EH1A cip mini chassis. 22" 10twist proof. Went with the 10 for the altitudes I hunt at and only shooting the 200 accubonds and hybrid 215s.

Well see how she does.

Attachments

• 20200310_160321.jpg
    20200310_160321.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 100
throw a sherman reamer in it then

How easy is that to do for someone without any experience? I’ve read it just removes a little out of a 300PRC chamber. I’m assuming oil often and check the go-gauge often.

I forgot to mention...all shots were fired over a MagnetoSpeedV3 Bayonet....not some flaky optical. If you look at the position of the impacts...you can probably guess at what angle I had the bayo attached. At 100 yards I do get noticeable deflection of my shots from the bayo.

If I were going to try and shoot the smallest groups possible...I'd remove the bayo.

So...thus saying...the mid 3000's readings are true...not the mis-readings of an old optical half in the sun...half in the shade. I had one of them a few months ago tell me I was shooting 225's in the mid 3400's...heh

I was hoping that N565 would be the winner...since I've been pimping it pretty hard.....and I got plenty of it....but with only 2lbs of RL-26...the bastard how to win out.

Go to Wiser Precision and buy this magnetospeed Mount. Causes zero poi shift.

B93EB205-352E-4CD9-9C57-87B389A43635.jpeg

Honestly I just like my lab radar. Works with every gun I own. Don't need an mount.

I have both LR and Magnetospeed V3 with rod mount. I hated the LR until I got the peep sight. I was doing some side by side testing and discovered my MS v3 was giving me incorrect MV. I figured it out by plugging the speeds each one said and the one that got me to connect to 1000yd target with my 18” 6.5CM was the LR.

I then tested both with my 300PRC and I started to get 100+ FPS variation between the two.

Disclaimer, I’ve owned the MSv3 since it was first released so it may finally be failing because I’ve never had an issue up until a few months ago. All the reports I’ve seen between the two is they’re within 10fps of each other and generally I see that when the MSv3 wasn’t giving me off the wall readings.

I have both LR and Magnetospeed V3 with rod mount. I hated the LR until I got the peep sight. I was doing some side by side testing and discovered my MS v3 was giving me incorrect MV. I figured it out by plugging the speeds each one said and the one that got me to connect to 1000yd target with my 18” 6.5CM was the LR.

I then tested both with my 300PRC and I started to get 100+ FPS variation between the two.

Disclaimer, I’ve owned the MSv3 since it was first released so it may finally be failing because I’ve never had an issue up until a few months ago. All the reports I’ve seen between the two is they’re within 10fps of each other and generally I see that when the MSv3 wasn’t giving me off the wall readings.

Yep learning how the LR likes to be setup is the biggest key. I haven't really ever had trigger issues.
I used to own a MS and they read +- 10 fps for me.

Why not just buy a Labradar and not have to deal with the POI shifts? That's why I ditched the Magnetospeed

Because he already has the magneto speed. He may want to spend another $99 instead of shelling out $600.

Has anyone concluded the barrel life of the 300PRC during average shooting conditions (not F class or PRS hot strings). I am looking for a prone mile + cartridge to shoot on occasion. I am looking at 30 magnums and have been thinking about a 300 Norma.

Has anyone concluded the barrel life of the 300PRC during average shooting conditions (not F class or PRS hot strings). I am looking for a prone mile + cartridge to shoot on occasion. I am looking at 30 magnums and have been thinking about a 300 Norma.

I'd say you gotta wait until later into the Fall of the year....after everyone starts wrapping up their ELR season....and then see what people post about their barrel life. I think a lot of earlier adopters were chasing the latest and greatest....played with it a while and then maybe started chasing the next latest and greatest of a different type. Then hunters don't shoot enough....casual ELR guys don't shoot enough....load testing is more streamlined now a days...so that's not enough.

I keep a meticulous log.....and I'll post round counts when I have to rebarrel. Hopefully after 4k rounds...but we know it will probably be somewhere between 1000-1500 rounds where it gives up precision ELR accuracy. We'll see.

Processed my brass from yesterday. Deprime, wet tumble, hot dry, primer pocket gauge check, lube, resize, trim, chamfer/debur, prime, load powder, seat bullet......done.

This time I loaded up all brass from yesterday with 77gr of RL-26. My seating depth gave me an overall case length of 3.724" and each round checked in my mags to insure function.

I noticed today that the once fired brass was MUCH easier to work with. Primer seating force was very close across all pieces. Bullet seating force was very close. Even sizing the neck was almost no force. Yesterday the bullet seating was gritty and vastly different from one round to the next...today...all were smooth as butter.

All rounds were giving the utmost love and attention. From extremely precise powder loads, bullet weights, to a towel job on the bullets and brass before and after. We'll see how they shoot...but probably not until Monday...when I have more time off from work.

Probably shoot like crap ;)

300prcadg.png

I am not seeing anyone using IMR 7977 or 8133 for the 300 PRC. Is there a reason for this?

Their burn rates are right next to H1000 and Retumbo... and the Enduron line is “supposed” to be temp stable... so it seems like they’d be suitable candidates.

Am I just missing this or is nobody doing it?

eta... I go pick up my new rifle tomorrow... still waiting on the new MK 5 to show up...:p

Last edited:
I am not seeing anyone using IMR 7977 or 8133 for the 300 PRC. Is there a reason for this?

Their burn rates are right next to H1000 and Retumbo... and the Enduron line is “supposed” to be temp stable... so it seems like they’d be suitable candidates.

eta... I go pick up my new rifle tomorrow... still waiting on the new MK 5 to show up...:p
If I could find either I would give it a go. Both are pretty rare these days.

I'll get some numbers for everyone on the 22" I picked up yesterday with RL26 and the 215s. Fritz does some great work. This will be my first non Tooley 300 PRC barrel but I have no doubt it will hammer.

Lone peak fusion TI in a manners EH1A cip mini chassis. 22" 10twist proof. Went with the 10 for the altitudes I hunt at and only shooting the 200 accubonds and hybrid 215s.

Well see how she does.

Really looking forward to hear about how the 22 incher works out with the RL26/215hybrid combination. Nice looking rifle and have fun playing with the new toy.

Reactions: MOUNTIC

You didn’t look hard enough. I already posted 8133 pressuring out too soon.

73.5gn of 8133 with a 230 Berger got a heavy bolt lift at 2663fps in a 29” barrel.

879710BA-3446-4F3C-8502-C0AB20FE2066.jpeg

Last edited:
Just got my PRC, went shooting in South Africa. 4 out of 5 hits on 1.794 meters.

Using 78 grains of N565 behind the 230gr A-Tip, with 1,5mm jump (...), this is the 100 meter 5 shot group. Speed (in SA) 876 m/s.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-02-29 at 13.46.28.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-02-29 at 13.46.28.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 43
Those 230's love the 78 grains of N565....I assume this was in Hornady Brass. What other powders do you have available to you? Do you have H1000? Do you have Reloader 26? Do you have Retumbo? Different guns like different stuff...but yours seems to really like that N565. I was just asking about the different powders due to availability. Nothing like shooting great and then you can't find anything to reload with.

Enjoy the 300PRC ride...it has been a great one for me so far.

So I contacted Berger regarding load data for the 245 EOL, and they do not recommend RL 26.

“...due to the fact that it is simply to fast of a burn rate powder to be useful due to its actual burn rate being very close to RE-19. At what would be considered a maximum charge with either powder there would be to much air space left over that leaves a potential for a detonation condition...”

They recommend RL33 or 25. With following specs.

OAL = 3.770

RL33
- min= 80.1gr - 2537fps
-max= 88.0gr - 2818fps

RL25
- min= 69.7gr - 2512fps
-max= 76.6gr - 2723fps

So I contacted Berger regarding load data for the 245 EOL, and they do not recommend RL 26.

“...due to the fact that it is simply to fast of a burn rate powder to be useful due to its actual burn rate being very close to RE-19. At what would be considered a maximum charge with either powder there would be to much air space left over that leaves a potential for a detonation condition...”

OAL = 3.770

RL33
- min= 80.1gr - 2537fps
-max= 88.0gr - 2818fps

RL25
- min= 69.7gr - 2512fps
-max= 76.6gr - 2723fps
Did you happen to ask them about VV N565?

OAL = 3.770

RL33
- min= 80.1gr - 2537fps
-max= 88.0gr - 2818fps

RL25
- min= 69.7gr - 2512fps
-max= 76.6gr - 2723fps

I Would NOT try that RL-33 load. To me...that looks very dangerous considering my testing with the 250gr A-Tips. 80gr was WAY too much pressure for that bullet. I mean WAY TOO MUCH.

If you send me some 245 EOL's...I'll do a work up for you....start really low with RL-26 and N565....and Retumbo...and work up.

OAL = 3.770
Barrel = 26"

N565

min: 71.3gr. max: 78.3gr. 2501-2731fps

H1000

min: 72.1gr. max: 79.2gr. 2495-2732fps

Retumbo

min: 75.4gr. max: 82.9gr. 2540-2776fps

Data obtained from Berger.

Last edited:
I Would NOT try that RL-33 load. To me...that looks very dangerous considering my testing with the 250gr A-Tips. 80gr was WAY too much pressure for that bullet. I mean WAY TOO MUCH.

I’ve seen posts from 2 different shooters using 86.5 grains of RL33 with the 245 Berger.

I also read your post with the 250 and RL 33. Maybe you got a bad lot or something else was going on?

I’ve seen posts from 2 different shooters using 86.5 grains of RL33 with the 245 Berger.

I also read your post with the 250 and RL 33. Maybe you got a bad lot or something else was going on?

Could be...but still I'd be careful putting that much powder into a case. That is a LOT of powder... What if you reload with the same or similar lot?

If it does work out for you..and you live close to KY...I'll give ya the rest of the bottle...heh

OAL = 3.770
Barrel = 26"

N565

min: 71.3gr. max: 78.3gr. 2501-2731fps

H1000

min: 72.1gr. max: 79.2gr. 2495-2732fps

Retumbo

min: 75.4gr. max: 82.9gr. 2540-2776fps

Data obtained from Berger.

I got the same from them today for RL 33, H1000, and N565. Except the guy told me 3.7 coal and said they didn’t have any data on RL 26 yet. Also it sounded like they just got the data from QL and hadn’t actually performed any tests.

Could be...but still I'd be careful putting that much powder into a case. That is a LOT of powder... What if you reload with the same or similar lot?

If it does work out for you..and you live close to KY...I'll give ya the rest of the bottle...heh

Agreed. I was just mentioning that in a sample of 3, 1 was OP and 2 weren’t. Also since this is mostly a hunting rifle for me I’d rather use something more temp stable then RL33. That’s why I was curious about RL26 and the 245.

If I load RL33 behind the 245 I’ll definitely shoot with full PPE lol.

I got the same from them today for RL 33, H1000, and N565. Except the guy told me 3.7 coal and said they didn’t have any data on RL 26 yet. Also it sounded like they just got the data from QL and hadn’t actually performed any tests.

Agreed. I was just mentioning that in a sample of 3, 1 was OP and 2 weren’t. Also since this is mostly a hunting rifle for me I’d rather use something more temp stable then RL33. That’s why I was curious about RL26 and the 245.

If I load RL33 behind the 245 I’ll definitely shoot with full PPE lol.

I think you’re right about QL derived. I’m fairly certain he said 3.77 OAL but always the chance I heard wrong or he misspoke.

If anyone plans on using this data I would certainly call Berger yourself. Just figured since there is virtually no data on this bullet and I called that I would share.

Reactions: dirtytough
Fyi, there is a world of difference between a 250 hornady and a berger hybrid, comparing the two as equals for load data is stupid and reckless. @dirtytough go with what you got from a known source.
Be careful out there.....

Fyi, there is a world of difference between a 250 hornady and a berger hybrid, comparing the two as equals for load data is stupid and reckless. @dirtytough go with what you got from a known source.
Be careful out there.....

This. ^

Also keep in mind. The air difference between dry mountain air out west at 5 and 6k elevation is different then the air east of the Mississippi.

For the Newbs. Start low and work up. Every barrel is different.

Reactions: abn31c
JLKnights61 it very easily could have been a different person or I could have misheard him also. I did ask twice but again who knows.

abn31c hopefully everyone is careful when using load data they’ve never used. Especially if gotten from the internet.

I looked up what Hornady has for the 250 A-Tip. They only list H1000, Retumbo, and RL26.

It’s curious that Berger told JLKnights61

Yet Hornady lists it as a viable powder for the 250. Why aren't they worried about a detonation condition?

I appreciate the info/advice/convo everyone.

Regards,

I assume this was in Hornady Brass. What other powders do you have available to you? Do you have H1000? Do you have Reloader 26? Do you have Retumbo?

Yes, Hornady brass. I have seen H1000 around here in The Netherlands, not the others. I am going to see how much more I can load with the N565 until I get pressure signs and what the speed will be. Another powder I want to try is Reload Swiss RS76.

Today will be the last opportunity to shoot for a while, all my gun clubs will be closed for at least the next two weeks...

Just got an email from Manners - my stock for my new 300 build is 4-6 weeks out. Ordered 11/28, so timing is a little better than expected.

Reactions: Dpp and b2lee