• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

I'm going to start load testing as soon as my RL26 shows up this week. Curious as to what primers you all think I should start with.

I have CCI BR2's and Federal 215M. I've never used either, so don't really no what to start with.

Will be testing 225 ELDM and 230 A-tip.

I use federal, haven’t tested CCI. Where’d you get your RL 26
I'm going to start load testing as soon as my RL26 shows up this week. Curious as to what primers you all think I should start with.

I have CCI BR2's and Federal 215M. I've never used either, so don't really no what to start with.

I use CCI250s and The fed 215s and have identical results.

Reactions: Prw
1586379059328.png

Oh, yes.

Reactions: LakuNoc and b2lee
Anybody in Canada get ADG brass yet up here?

I too am using 335....have used 336 and will work...I just wanted a little more squeeze...

Did a little testing today on a Bergara HMR Pro. I’ve got 50 rds down the tube and it is definitely shooting faster and the groups have basically shrunk almost in half from when it was new.

I’m using Hornady brass. 212gr ELD-X, and GM215M primers.

I haven’t found a load with H1000 that I’m happy with yet... 78 gr has pretty low S-D, but was almost 100 FPS slower than R26.

I found a couple loads with 7977 that had single digit S-D’s but they are WAY slower than R26. 7977 showed pressure signs pretty early before I got to a decent velocity.

R26 looks like a winner for me so far... 76.3 grains got me an S-D of 8.8 and the 100yd group was one ragged hole. Aaaaaand... it averaged at 3007 FPS... with no pressure signs. :oops::p I’ll be loading up s’more of those to try out.

I have a mess of Berger 210 VLD Hunting boolets to try eventually also... another day...

ETA: now I want a super short and light one too... after seeing that pic at the top of this page... that thing is sexy! I have a 7mm Sendero that would be perfect for a rebarrel to a short carbon 300prc bbl...might be a real nice “little” elk rifle...

Last edited:
Just received my 215 hybrids to try ! Anyone ran these with N565 and ADG yet ? If so where did you end up with a load ?

Well I drank the 300PRC Koolaide earlier this week and ordered a barrel from ES Tactical for my Desert Tech, a die set with assortment of bushings from Whidden and some Hornady brass to get started and for plinking.
It looks like ADG brass is back in stock and my question is the ADG brass worth the premium cost. Are you seeing more consistent neck tension, smaller ES numbers or any other noteworthy benefits using ADG. Your thoughts are appreciated and will help me confirm that I need to spend some more money.

Well I drank the 300PRC Koolaide earlier this week and ordered a barrel from ES Tactical for my Desert Tech, a die set with assortment of bushings from Whidden and some Hornady brass to get started and for plinking.
It looks like ADG brass is back in stock and my question is the ADG brass worth the premium cost. Are you seeing more consistent neck tension, smaller ES numbers or any other noteworthy benefits using ADG. Your thoughts are appreciated and will help me confirm that I need to spend some more money.
with the ADG available I don't think i'd even second guess it over hornady

if sherman is getting 20 firings from his, it's hard to argue

ADG is a no-brainer. I was prepping and fire-forming RWS 8x68S instead of using Hornady. It worked well, but with ADG I don't have the same level of prep, so I bought 250. My experience with it has been overwhelmingly positive.

B6graham and Rocketmandb, thanks for providing me the motivation needed. Order has been placed for the ADG. I knew it was going to happen I just needed a push.

Reactions: b6graham
B6graham and Rocketmandb, thanks for providing me the motivation needed. Order has been placed for the ADG. I knew it was going to happen I just needed a push.

You won't be sorry - ADG makes great stuff!

I don't have a 300 PRC but I'm interested in building one once my current barrel is toast. Seems H1000 and RL26 are the go to powders for people, has anyone tried RL33? Is it too slow for this round? Maybe with a 28-30" tube and the heavies 225's and 230's?

I tried RL-33 with 230's and 250's in a 28" Bartlein....slow...and early pressure for me

Edit...in both Hornady and ADG brass...

Last edited:
@Mk32784 Man I'm jealous now....my 300PRC is sleeping in the safe because I can't take it out past 242 yards with Ohio in lock down....can't wait to get back out to Thunder Valley. I loved watching the trace...what was the black round? 8"?

@Mk32784 Man I'm jealous now....my 300PRC is sleeping in the safe because I can't take it out past 242 yards with Ohio in lock down....can't wait to get back out to Thunder Valley. I loved watching the trace...what was the black round? 8"?

Lucky we are stilled allowed to drive out to BLM land, which is about the only place I can shoot at the moment.
6 inches. It was a tough little bugger.

Reactions: b2lee
I don't have a 300 PRC but I'm interested in building one once my current barrel is toast. Seems H1000 and RL26 are the go to powders for people, has anyone tried RL33? Is it too slow for this round? Maybe with a 28-30" tube and the heavies 225's and 230's?
maybe with a 30 Sherman Magnum

I just bought a Christensen arms Mesa LR in 300 prc. I bought a couple boxes of factory 225’s for barrel break in and brass and I noticed the primers were pretty flat. I noticed the same thing with a 6.5 creedmoor when I ran some factory through it.Wondering if anybody else has noticed this ?

Attachments

• 9AB6437A-4C7B-4A59-91EB-155F316718E6.jpeg
    9AB6437A-4C7B-4A59-91EB-155F316718E6.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 115
I have never fired a factory 6.5 prc round that primer wasn’t flat as a hammer after firing

Here’s a better picture

Attachments

• EE2FC8B7-BF2C-4BCE-8806-0E0EDAA0969F.jpeg
    EE2FC8B7-BF2C-4BCE-8806-0E0EDAA0969F.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 129
How's the bolt lift? If normal, run it. I see you have ejector marks on there also but usually from how soft the Hornady brass is. The Hornady factory ammo is loaded on the warmer side also.
Ya, I noticed it with my creedmoor with factory ammo. I haven’t had a chance to see how much the brass grew. For the guys that are using hornady brass, are you loading to this same flatness? If so, how many firings before the pocket gets loose

I have gotten hard bolt lift with precision hunter, and I stopped running that but without hard bolt lift I run it (6.5prc)

So, I'm working on a video from my shooting trip yesterday, but ahead of that I need to post a pic - and a quick WTF story...

This is where we were shooting - we were at 1500 yards, and I think we can hit a mile by setting up targets in some of the gullies to the right:

IMG_0656sm.jpg

Now the story:

It's getting on about lunch time and this black Tahoe rolls up on the road near us and stops. We're thinking he wants to drive on, so we stop shooting and wave for him to go through. He gets out and comes over to talk about where to shoot - he's with his son and their original spot was getting closed down, so they needed another. We tell him that we can break for lunch if he wants to set up steel here - so we do and he goes to set up.

Fast forward to today:

I get a PM on Snipers Hide from @2aBaCa asking if it was me up in the hills yesterday. Seriously... what are the odds?

Video coming soon.

Bolt lift wasn’t horrible
Snag some ADG brass and load workup with that. Stash that Hornady factory stuff away for a rainy day. Now that you have an option, just don't waste your time with the Hornady if your starting fresh from the beginning right now on a new rifle.

So, I'm working on a video from my shooting trip yesterday, but ahead of that I need to post a pic - and a quick WTF story...

This is where we were shooting - we were at 1500 yards, and I think we can hit a mile by setting up targets in some of the gullies to the right:

View attachment 7299177

Now the story:

It's getting on about lunch time and this black Tahoe rolls up on the road near us and stops. We're thinking he wants to drive on, so we stop shooting and wave for him to go through. He gets out and comes over to talk about where to shoot - he's with his son and their original spot was getting closed down, so they needed another. We tell him that we can break for lunch if he wants to set up steel here - so we do and he goes to set up.

Fast forward to today:

I get a PM on Snipers Hide from @2aBaCa asking if it was me up in the hills yesterday. Seriously... what are the odds?

Video coming soon.

What are the odds 100sq miles of back country and we end up on the same hill. Beautiful day, thanks again for sharing the spot.

Got the new 300PRC broken in.

20200414_143408.jpg

View attachment 7299177

Now the story:

Fast forward to today:

Video coming soon.
looks a lot like a spot I used to shoot at in central washington

Ok, so I have some spare time on my hands. Delivery of my 22” 300PRC barrel is still at least three weeks out but I have both Hornady and ADG brass, and H1000, RL26 and Retumbo powders. For bullets some 212 ELD-X, 210 VLD’s and 215 Hybrids. Primers Fed and CCI.

Planning to load up some rounds for barrel break and to get a feel on where to start load development. I’ll load the bullets really long so I can adjust after I get the barrel and take some measurements.

For the 212 ELD-X bullets I was able to pull up Hornady’s load data for all three powders and the charge weights seem reasonable, so I think I’ve got all I need to get started with this bullet.

On the 210 VLD’s I was able to find a post listing a charge weight of 78 – 81.9 of RL26. This was said to come from Berger. That seems high to me for RL26.

For the 215 Hybrids basically the same as the 210’s. Berger charge weight of 76 – 80.3 of RL26. Again, that seems high to me.

Going over recipe’s you guys have mentioned on this thread most are shooting heavier bullets but I did find a few for the 215 using H-1000 at 78.5 and RL26 at 76.6 – 76.9.

So, if anyone has any data or starting load recommendations using these powders and Berger bullet combinations that you don’t mind sharing it will be appreciated.