• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

Sighters and first group with the new rifle. 75.5 gr rl26 and 215 berger about 20 thousandths off. Will probably load a range to find pressure next time, but for a first group and a dart at the wall group I’m happy
9990C685-2B63-4A37-BF1A-064174DF57E7.jpeg
6793AFCA-686A-4E37-8FB4-B1303F0A6930.jpeg

Reactions: DangerRanger
What are the odds 100sq miles of back country and we end up on the same hill. Beautiful day, thanks again for sharing the spot.

Got the new 300PRC broken in.

View attachment 7299203

You know...as I sit at my desk...and haven't shot past 242 yards in MANY weeks due to this 'whatever'....I hope you both know... I hate you :) I'm soooo jealous that you guys have spots like that. Here in N. Kentucky I have to drive a ways to stretch out to where I like to shoot. My 1 mile paper match this weekend at Thunder Valley got Canceled/Later Date....

Maybe this weekend I can get out of the house and get some rounds down range.....

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
Ultra 7 on one. And a 338 ultra sr on the other.

So I was looking at the Ultra 9 and the 338 Ultra SR....I like that SR a lot....but dang man....I got sooooo much money already in the rifle, and glass, and bags, and soon to be Tripod....and reloading equipment....that 338 Ultra SR is just expensive.....I know...go be poor somewhere else. But I do love the specs and looks of that 338 Ultra SR.

You know...as I sit at my desk...and haven't shot past 242 yards in MANY weeks due to this 'whatever'....I hope you both know... I hate you :) I'm soooo jealous that you guys have spots like that. Here in N. Kentucky I have to drive a ways to stretch out to where I like to shoot. My 1 mile paper match this weekend at Thunder Valley got Canceled/Later Date....

Maybe this weekend I can get out of the house and get some rounds down range.....

I don't want you to hate me, but I think you will hate me a little more after you view this: :)

I don't want you to hate me, but I think you will hate me a little more after you view this: :)

It wasn't too bad.. I didn't start hating you until atleast 3-4 seconds into the video :) Then again...the way the wind was blowing...it would probably have messed with my hair and I wouldn't have had much fun...wait...my hair is like 1/16" long....

How far to the left of the shooter were you with the camera? Sometimes I have a hard time with spotting other peoples trace unless I'm right over their shoulder.

How far to the left of the shooter were you with the camera? Sometimes I have a hard time with spotting other peoples trace unless I'm right over their shoulder.

Maybe a couple feet max, but about 8-10 feet back. I set up the PhoneSkope on the spotter, hit the play button, then went to shoot. I've also got video of my shooting buddy and his 338. I was probably 10 feet left of him.

By the way, this was the first time I had once-fired ADG brass. Went with 73.4gr of RL 26 with 230 Bergers. Had a 2863 fps average over the 15 shots I measured. ES 16, SD 6. I think this load was a little warmer than I'd like - likely due to the increased temps where we were shooting. I'm probably going to drop down to 73.2 for the next batch.

By the way, this was the first time I had once-fired ADG brass. Went with 73.4gr of RL 26 with 230 Bergers. Had a 2863 fps average over the 15 shots I measured. ES 16, SD 6. I think this load was a little warmer than I'd like - likely due to the increased temps where we were shooting. I'm probably going to drop down to 73.2 for the next batch.

Only 73.4 grains of RL 26? Geez...I'm running WAY too much powder...but then again..I'm not running Bergers....I'm running the A-Tips. I found out some of my latest inconsistencies were fixed once I went to a .336 neck bushing. I was simply squeezing the necks too tight and the bullets were going in too rough.

Reactions: Prw
Only 73.4 grains of RL 26? Geez...I'm running WAY too much powder...but then again..I'm not running Bergers....I'm running the A-Tips. I found out some of my latest inconsistencies were fixed once I went to a .336 neck bushing. I was simply squeezing the necks too tight and the bullets were going in too rough.

I was finding that my 300 liked lower neck tension with both Hornady and RWS brass. I'm going to try using a mandrel next time around and lower it even a little more with ADG.

Man this was a long thread to read thru. Lots of great info.

I have a couple of questions for you guys.

I picked up a Bergara Highlander 300 PRC ( factory 24 inch 8twist) and want to use it mainly for hunting out to 800 yards and targets out to 1000 yards
I’d prefer to dial in one load that works for both. I have a neighbor who will help me but he hasn’t reloaded the 300 PRC.

I have RL 26, 215M and ADG brass. Would you start with Berger hybrids in 215 or 230 ? Other suggestions?
What accuracy and speeds are realistic? Obviously not looking a hot load but accurate and reasonably fast. Hoping to go 2900 or so and be close to .5 MOA.

Thanks Jim

Reactions: ubettcha and b2lee
Good gun.....good brass....good powder....good primers....good bullets....don't think you are going to have a problem at all ringing steel at 1000+. I'm not much of a hunter...I only do hogs and coyotes...so not a good person on bullet selection for hunting...but either of those will be hitting the easy button on 1000 yard steel. With the faster twist rate...probably go 230's....but others will chime in and get you straight...I'm an A-Tip superfan....but I only shoot steel with my rifle.

Reactions: azjim
Doing some load workup today in the AXMC quick in some 5 round test groups..

Best 5 round group was 76.6 gr of RL26 at the lands at .45 for 5 rounds. Started at 75 gr and went to 77.2 in .4 grain increments. This is new virgin PRC brass.. Mirage was really weird coming off the ground but this group was good enough for now. Seating the 215s at the lands. When I have more time ill work up some more 5 round test groups at 10 and 20 thou off and also shoot some of the ones that were over the .5 moa when I'm not in weird mirage. And use some once fired brass. No pressure at all even at the 77.2 but didn't shoot the best.

Attachments

• 20200415_152110.jpg
    20200415_152110.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 20200415_145729.jpg
    20200415_145729.jpg
    627.5 KB · Views: 103
I picked up a Bergara Highlander 300 PRC ( factory 24 inch 8twist) and want to use it mainly for hunting out to 800 yards and targets out to 1000 yards
I’d prefer to dial in one load that works for both. I have a neighbor who will help me but he hasn’t reloaded the 300 PRC.

If you find a load that works at 800, it will be fine at 1000.

WARNING: You will get bored hitting stuff at 1000 with a 300 PRC :)

I have RL 26, 215M and ADG brass. Would you start with Berger hybrids in 215 or 230 ? Other suggestions?
What accuracy and speeds are realistic? Obviously not looking a hot load but accurate and reasonably fast. Hoping to go 2900 or so and be close to .5 MOA.

First, good job at finding RL 26 - it's tough to come by. As to 215 vs 230, my personal preference is to go heavier. I am really liking 230s in mine. You should be able to get upper 2900s at the top end, but I'm happier in the mid 28s. The Bergara should be able to group half MOA at 100-300 all day long - and probably a good way out from that. Bergara barrels are good, and the Highlander has the Triggertech trigger. The only thing that's missing from it is a cheek riser. For target shooting you'll want to get that figured out, especially if you're shooting prone. Solid rifle.

Reactions: azjim
Wow, I ordered some adg brass and they priority shipped. It will be here in 2 days. Thanks for the good advice. Are you guys full sizing and using 335- 336 bushings before first fire?

Wow, I ordered some adg brass and they priority shipped. It will be here in 2 days. Thanks for the good advice. Are you guys full sizing and using 335- 336 bushings before first fire?

I was having some inconsistent neck tension on the first 100 ADG brass. Some up to two thou neck tension difference all running it through the same redding FL bushing die before first firing. So there us some inconsistencies in the brass and also in the shoulder. In one of my tighter chamber rifles I could also feel a difference on closing the bolt between virgin brass. Fealt like tight head space on a handful of brass but did not exhibit it on others. Using my shoulder bump gauge I could see upwards of 3-4 thousands difference on the shoulder of those cases right out of the box. After once firing this won't be an issue. But I don't plan on turning necks, but may be needed, or start sorting the brass..

The second 100 lot all I just did was chamfer the case mouth, and run a .306 expander ball through each case. Did not run it up into the die to size the body or the OD of the neck. Just through the .306 expander ball. All 100 of those cases seated identical. Because the necks are a little tight out of the box, I used a slight amount of lube in the case mouth to run that ball through. Dry it takes some force!

Unlike the 15% of the first hundred that had inconsistent neck tension after going through the sizing die, doing it the second way on virgin brass with only the. 306 ball, had perfect neck tension across the 100 lot.

Once I get some reloads on these I'll see what turns better results with sizing and consistency.

Reactions: DangerRanger
Good to know. I’ll check them against my once fired and go from there. Appreciate all that posted experiences on here . Thanks again

Has anyone experimented at all with Reloder 50?

Berger recommended I try it with the 245gr EOL so I picked up a few pounds.

So I was looking at the Ultra 9 and the 338 Ultra SR....I like that SR a lot....but dang man....I got sooooo much money already in the rifle, and glass, and bags, and soon to be Tripod....and reloading equipment....that 338 Ultra SR is just expensive.....I know...go be poor somewhere else. But I do love the specs and looks of that 338 Ultra SR.

The difference between the ultra 7 and the 338 ultra SR is night and day. Its funny how much quieter and a longer smoother recoil impulse is with the 338. It's a whole different rifle with it on there.

The difference between the ultra 7 and the 338 ultra SR is night and day. Its funny how much quieter and a longer smoother recoil impulse is with the 338. It's a whole different rifle with it on there.

You aren't making that $2100 any easier to keep in my wallet :(

The other $100 is in the front pocket.

Wow...I remember back in the good ole days when I thought paying $1500 for a Bushnell HDMR was too rich for me.....when paying more than $500 for a rifle was too much....now

Custom 300 PRC....ZCO scope with spuhr mount....and throw a thunder beast 338 SR on that....technically my car will classify as a mobile rifle case...since the contents will be worth more than the resell value of the car.

Anybody try ramshot LRT? I bought 8 pounds and hoping for the best. I’m going to load up some 225’s to start but have some 230’s in waiting

Anybody try ramshot LRT? I bought 8 pounds and hoping for the best. I’m going to load up some 225’s to start but have some 230’s in waiting

Nope...but I'm interested in any data you can give us. Always good to have options.

Ok, it might be few weeks. Still waiting on a few more items

Anyone know how to un-stick a frozen elevation clutch on Nightforce?
Change mounts last week and bamb...i have a box full of 230 atips staring at me and can't zero...

What did you build? I’m waiting on mine.
26” rock creek barrel (7twist)
TL3 Big Horn action
Cadex Competition chassis
NF ATACR F1
Spuhr 4902
Atlas bipod
im basically out of money at this point. Haha.

Let's see...in its current configuration...

Action: Defiance Deviant Tactical LA with 6mil rail
Barrel: Bartlein 1-9tw at 28"
Muzzel Brake: APA Lil' Bastard timed and blended for a no seam look.
Trigger: TriggerTech Diamond Single Stage
Chassis: MDT ACC in FDE and then I sponge painted it.
Chassis Accessories: Multiple fore end external weights. Bag rider in steel for added weight. Hoptic neoprene cheek pad. Hoptic quiver for 300PRC
Bi-pod: Atlas CAL BT65-ARCA

Temp parts
Scope: Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3x15 with the EBR2C reticle. (I've hit 2400 yards with this so it isn't holding me back...hit 1760 regularly...well every time I go to Thunder Valley.)
Scope Rings: Vortex Pro...I hate them...but they work...and they are only temporary.
Scope Caps: Vortex Defenders....I think they are pretty decent.
MK Machine throw lever.
MK Machine Turret Magnifier

Parts on their way

Scope: ZCO 5-27x56 MPCT3 reticle. Waiting just like everyone else to get this in my hands. Also, mine will be Cerakoted FDE...and then I'll sponge it.
Scope Mount: Spuhr 6601. 36mm - 6mil - 1.18"
Scope Caps: Tenebraex ZCO

Parts still saving money for

Supressor: Thunderbeast 338 Ultra SR

Reactions: Cheeseburger1976
What did you do for break in? I’m going to follow Joshs recommendations for his barrels and do this. (Patriot Valley)
  1. Be sure that the bore is free from any/all obstructions.
  2. Load 1 round and fire it into the impact mound.
  3. Repeat steps 1-2 for five (5) rounds.
  4. Using BoreTech Eliminator™ bore solvent clean the bore of the rifle with wet patches until it comes out clean. Lay out the patches in order of use in order to get a visual line-up of the dirty patches coming out of the bore.
  5. Repeat Steps 1-4 two (2) times so that a total of 15 rounds have been fired and the bore has been cleaned three (3) times.
    1. The total number of patches used for the 1st (5) rounds fired will be larger than for the last 5 rounds fired (rounds 11-15). If this is not the case repeat steps 1-4 until that is the case.
    2. Typically the barrel cleans up in about 6-10 patches on the first 5 rounds and about 3 patches on the 11-15th rounds fired.
    3. Once Steps 1-5 have been accomplished the barrel is “broken-in” as far as fouling is concerned and cleaning is only necessary as the group sizes of the rifle dictate that cleaning needs to be performed again.
      1. Typically this is every 150-500 rounds depending on chambering however that is not a hard and fast rule. Each barrel is a little different and owners will need to get a feel for how their barrel wants to shoot.
      2. Patriot Valley Arms strongly discourages the use of a breakin method such as “shoot 1 clean 1” type where the cleaning is performed after every round fired for a given number of rounds. This is detrimental to the life of the barrel and the overall accuracy of the barrel.
      3. Patriot Valley Arms strongly encourages the use of a bore guide for use in guiding the cleaning rod through the breech of the rifle barrel.
      4. Patriot Valley Arms strongly discourages cleaning of the JHR barrel through the muzzle, all barrel cleaning should be performed through the breech of the rifle with care taken to ensure that cleaning solution does not get spilled/dripped/slopped/etc into the trigger of the rifle.
Something like that.

X-Caliber has it's own break in procedure.

Interesting, headspace on my new adg brass measured same as once fired Hornady. Hornady brass only grew a couple thousands from new. Well, interesting to me lol

I received my new Stainless L.E. Wilson neck sizing arbor press die...and a 336 bushing.....now waiting on my L.E. Wilson arbor press Bullet Seating Die with micrometer...and a new K&M arbor press....and a bunch of sinclair stuff....and a neck mandrel die.

Been playing around for a year...now it is time to get serious with this 300PRC :)

Reactions: nealm66
Scope: Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3x15 with the EBR2C reticle. (I've hit 2400 yards with this so it isn't holding me back...hit 1760 regularly...well every time I go to Thunder Valley.)
Parts on their way
Scope: ZCO 5-27x56 MPCT3 reticle. Waiting just like everyone else to get this in my hands. Also, mine will be Cerakoted FDE...and then I'll sponge it.
Scope Mount: Spuhr 6601. 36mm - 6mil - 1.18"

You will get a very real advantage from the ZCO. The PST might not be stopping you from shooting well, but no doubt it is a limitation in your rig.

I received my new Stainless L.E. Wilson neck sizing arbor press die...and a 336 bushing.....now waiting on my L.E. Wilson arbor press Bullet Seating Die with micrometer...and a new K&M arbor press....and a bunch of sinclair stuff....and a neck mandrel die.

Been playing around for a year...now it is time to get serious with this 300PRC :)
Thumbs up, nothing quite like using quality tools to get the job done. L.E. Wilson, K&M and Sinclair fan here.

Reactions: b2lee
About time you came to your senses and decided to move out west where you can really put it to use...

I will visit out west....but you guys don't have enough trees and rolling hills....hell...one time in the 80's I found out you don't have humidity...just hot dry heat...like opening an oven to check your pot roast and just lingering around in there while your noodle baked.

I kinda got to keep my job where I am...they pay me just good enough to let me buy toys...but don't ask me to do much...so I'm kinda stuck. Also..I don't hate my job...which is more than most folks can ask for.

Today... The Sinclair version of the Bullet Seater Die with micrometer....from LE Wilson was delivered....yep...I seated some 300PRC....eventhough my K&M arbor press hasn't arrived....you can really just push down pretty hard with your hand...and it works all good. What a quality built tool.

Reactions: Rocketmandb
Did someone say rolling hills?

Put some more rounds down range. 74.2grs of Rl26 is sending 230 A-tips at 2860fps out of my 26inch tube. SDs of 5 groups of half inch or better.
Probably gonna shoot some this way to get the barrel sped up, less under 100 rounds.

Screenshot_2.png

Put some more rounds down range. 74.2grs of Rl26 is sending 230 A-tips at 2860fps out of my 26inch tube. SDs of 5 groups of half inch or better.
Probably gonna shoot some this way to get the barrel sped up, less under 100 rounds.

What brass are you using?

Good morning all. Anyone have a rough load data on rl26 in adg brass? Have been running 73.5-74 in hornady brass with great results but just got adg so switching out. Thanks!

Attachments

• 71EA5314-81F0-4724-93B6-28C84935D5A8.jpeg
    71EA5314-81F0-4724-93B6-28C84935D5A8.jpeg
    366.2 KB · Views: 82
I think your in the ballpark. I always start a little lower and work up to be safe. But you may be fine as others are in that same range with ADG and the 225/230.

Good morning all. Anyone have a rough load data on rl26 in adg brass? Have been running 73.5-74 in hornady brass with great results but just got adg so switching out. Thanks!

ADG is a little less volume. My last trip I ran 73.4 gr of RL26 in my 28" barrel and got 2860ish, which is a little faster than I want to run. I'm going to play with a slightly lower load next time.

Reactions: Harleydog
I was thinking about going to the range today with my new LE Wilson arbor press neck die...and my Sinclaire micrometer bullet seating die....and try out some different loads with the 225's and 230s' in the ADG brass....using Retumbo/RL-26/N565......but I'm waiting on about 47 deliveries today....and tomorrow is supposed to be windy with an inch of rain. Meh....guess I'll crash on the couch or play on the computer and talk about shooting...instead of actually going to the range and practicing.

I was thinking about going to the range today with my new LE Wilson arbor press neck die...and my Sinclaire micrometer bullet seating die....and try out some different loads with the 225's and 230s' in the ADG brass....using Retumbo/RL-26/N565......but I'm waiting on about 47 deliveries today....and tomorrow is supposed to be windy with an inch of rain. Meh....guess I'll crash on the couch or play on the computer and talk about shooting...instead of actually going to the range and practicing.
Lol, I’m waiting on some bushings for the adg brass. Screw it. I’ll load up some hornady brass while I’m waiting