• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

Congratulations Steel Head, you ruined Christmas.
Meh

This has been one of those civilized and informative threads, unlike the 419 press thread

I couldn’t kill it even if I wanted too.

Nor would I want to kill it.
Tons of good info in this one and I’m happy it’s still going strong.

Reactions: nealm66
It will be interesting to see the differences between the two for myself. Had to trim quite a bit off the hornady brass. They were already over length after first firing. Although they did seem like hot loads but still. Man, that Christensen arms has a tight chamber. I suspect the adg brass will be snug if I don’t bump it back a smidge. Might just load some light rounds through some of it without resizing just out of curiosity. Odd though, I don’t feel dirty. Could be my up bringing

ADG is a little less volume. My last trip I ran 73.4 gr of RL26 in my 28" barrel and got 2860ish, which is a little faster than I want to run. I'm going to play with a slightly lower load next time.

Why is that faster then you want to run?

I am hoping for 2900 out of my barrel....

It will be interesting to see the differences between the two for myself. Had to trim quite a bit off the hornady brass. They were already over length after first firing. Although they did seem like hot loads but still. Man, that Christensen arms has a tight chamber. I suspect the adg brass will be snug if I don’t bump it back a smidge. Might just load some light rounds through some of it without resizing just

I’ve been doing some brass prep, both Hornady and ADG. Hornady lists the maximum brass length at 2.580 and the virgin unfired Hornady brass measured 2.579. The virgin unfired ADG brass measured 2.571. So I guess its not surprising the Hornady brass was over length after one firing but it did surprise me that the new brass was within 0.001 of their own published max length.

That is odd. Well, that explains it. I noticed a couple pockets that weren’t real snug as well. I also noticed the factory ammo coal was 20 thousands from what I measured to my lands. I got the same 2.571 length for the adg so I trimmed to same. Rifle is basically new so I figure won’t hurt to throw some rounds through it before I start loading the adg brass.

I'm going to have to eat crow...
Ramshot magnum has gotten real unstable in velocities..for me!....the Temps have been in the 80s and maybe pushing a 90...it was doing great for me with Temps in the mid to high 50s...

Reactions: Steel head
Anyone got 230gr A-Tips cheaper than Powder Valley? They have them for $71.63 for both the 230 and 250 grain boxes of 100. I've been throwing a box or two in every order for the past few weeks. Everytime a powder becomes available I need...I also grab a box of A-Tips.

Should be getting y’all some short barrel data soon.
Any update on short bbl data? I’m real curious.

That rifle is awesome... my 26” gun is shooting 210VLD Hunt and 212 ELD-X great... no complaints. But at some point I wanna do another rifle basically like yours there... super light hunter.

I’m curious if the short barrel slings the light or heavy bullets better... and which powder. I have some guesses... but you have the data. :)

Any update on short bbl data? I’m real curious.

That rifle is awesome... my 26” gun is shooting 210VLD Hunt and 212 ELD-X great... no complaints. But at some point I wanna do another rifle basically like yours there... super light hunter.

I’m curious if the short barrel slings the light or heavy bullets better... and which powder. I have some guesses... but you have the data. :)

Nothing to report yet, this damn virus is slowing everything down. Hopefully in the next week or two I will get to go shoot some.

I plan on using factory 225 eld-m and I have RL 50 to try with the new Berger 245s to test velocity. Berger has suggested I stay away from RL 26, but If anybody has data to contradict this I'd love to hear it.

I figure if I can get the 245s to 2600-2700 the BC and energy on target will beat out the lighter 215/212 class bullets. The 230 A-tip would likely be better having as similar BC and I should be able to push it faster, but I'm hoping for a bullet I could use for everything so we'll see how the 245 does.

Reactions: themightytimmah
Will be getting in to the 300PRC game next year. Purchased a Bix N Andy Tac Sport Pro from the PX, put in an order for a 26" 9 twist Lilja MTU barrel. Planning on going with a BAT HR and the new Manners PRS-TCS stock. Looking to use it primarily as long range target shooter.

Anyone running a 9 twist? How is barrel life for the prc? Any good brake recommendations? I have a TBAC brake going on my 280AI hunting rifle with Ultra 7 coming some time next year. Should I stick with another TBAC to swap the can back and forth?

Nothing to report yet, this damn virus is slowing everything down. Hopefully in the next week or two I will get to go shoot some.

I plan on using factory 225 eld-m and I have RL 50 to try with the new Berger 245s to test velocity. Berger has suggested I stay away from RL 26, but If anybody has data to contradict this I'd love to hear it.

I figure if I can get the 245s to 2600-2700 the BC and energy on target will beat out the lighter 215/212 class bullets. The 230 A-tip would likely be better having as similar BC and I should be able to push it faster, but I'm hoping for a bullet I could use for everything so we'll see how the 245 does.

oh man, we speaking the same language I think... the 230 A-Tip looks awesome, but I can’t hunt with it. I am definitely interested in the difference in energy at range between the heavy and lighter (210/212) bullets from a shorter bbl and which powder works.

Right now in my 26” gun R26 is getting me almost 100fps more than H1000... but I’m shooting the 210 and 212. I don’t know what happens in a shorter bbl with a heavier bullet.

I measured some 230 a-tips to the lands in my gun and it’s like 3.8 to be 20 thousands off. Haven’t loaded any but wondering what coal you guys are running and if it’s a single feed or ejecting live rounds is an issue

I’m also wondering about the 250’s . Is anybody running these and noticing a difference. Sorry if this has already posted

I’m also wondering about the 250’s . Is anybody running these and noticing a difference. Sorry if this has already posted

Been running the 230's at a mile....when we get some ELR Matches open after this virus thing...I'll be using the 250's for the mile plus stuff. Should have some 2500 and 2700 stuff this year. Here is my current thinking...which may change with experience.... 225 ELD-M's for 1200yds and in...due to cost/performance ratio.... 230's for out to a mile...maybe 2000yds.... 250's for 2000+ yards.

Then again....the 250's are currently...the same price as the 230's...so I may change my mind and just go 250's...

I'm going to have to eat crow...
Ramshot magnum has gotten real unstable in velocities..for me!....the Temps have been in the 80s and maybe pushing a 90...it was doing great for me with Temps in the mid to high 50s...
I’m not really surprised.

Why is that faster then you want to run?

I am hoping for 2900 out of my barrel....

You should easily get 2900. With my barrel, 2840 - 2850 seems to be a sweet spot. I had gotten close to that with 73.4 gr, but that was about a 15 degree cooler day than when I shot last, and the temps just took it a little higher than I'd anticipated.

Reactions: doctordoctor
With how the SD and ES looks I think there's a node at 2850.

Still not sure if my barrel is going to speed up since I just at 100 rounds.

Will be getting in to the 300PRC game next year. Purchased a Bix N Andy Tac Sport Pro from the PX, put in an order for a 26" 9 twist Lilja MTU barrel. Planning on going with a BAT HR and the new Manners PRS-TCS stock. Looking to use it primarily as long range target shooter.

Anyone running a 9 twist? How is barrel life for the prc? Any good brake recommendations? I have a TBAC brake going on my 280AI hunting rifle with Ultra 7 coming some time next year. Should I stick with another TBAC to swap the can back and forth?
didn't know they were doing the TCS in long action?

Rich Sherman got 1600ish with his improved variant

I'm gonna run a Sidewinder and TBAC 338SR and Dominus

Took a new barrel out today.
24” paradigm, 9 twist, saami chamber
SR3, AG Alpine stock, Hawkins bdl, Bighorn 20 Moa rail, Hawkins light tactical 35 mm rings, aluminum jet blast brake, trigger tech, 3.6-18 mark 5.
Weighs 8 lb 15 oz

New ADG brass.

H-1000, 215 primer, 215 hybrid .020 jump
One shot each. Just getting a baseline at this point and I’ll chrono again after 100 rounds.
77.0-2831 FPS
77.5-2865
78.0-2865

RL26, CCI250, 215 hybrid, .020 jump
77.0-2956 FPS
77.5-3010
78.0-2994

RL26, CCI250, 210 vld, .010 jump
76.0-2900 FPS
76.5-2935
77.0-2942
77.5-2977
78.0-2994

Factory 212 eldx ammo
2865 FPS

Reactions: Fishkat
Just dialed in my load with ADG brass. Below are the seating depth results - I was shocked that the best loads came with > 60 thousand jump.

215gr Berger, ADG brass, 76.2gr RL-26, Fed Gold 215M primers.

Landed on 90 thousand jump. Shot steel out to 1000yds with this load - dope was spot on.

OALRTOJumpAverageMOA

1587929138537.png

@dukerugger25 I've told people for years that before you give up on a bullet/load...try jumping it between 50 and 150 thousandths. People usually look at me like I have 3 heads...but when they try it with a VLD....they shake their head and can't believe it works...and works well.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get some 2nd firings on the ADG brass with some seating depths and powder load combos. I finally got in a new K&M arbor press and some new Sinclair/LE Wilson arbor dies for both bullet seating and neck. I'll be running the 230 and 250 A-Tips getting ready for what hopefully be a nice 1 mile+ ELR season. If it happens...I'll see you guys at Thunder Valley on the 16th. I don't know if it will...with the 5/1 to 5/3 PRS showing canceled now.

Oh...and my new ZCO 5-27x56 MPCT3 scope is being sent off to be Cerakoted...should have that on the 300PRC here real soon...can't wait!!

Just dialed in my load with ADG brass. Below are the seating depth results - I was shocked that the best loads came with > 60 thousand jump.

215gr Berger, ADG brass, 76.2gr RL-26, Fed Gold 215M primers.

Landed on 90 thousand jump. Shot steel out to 1000yds with this load - dope was spot on.

OALRTOJumpAverageMOA

View attachment 7309211

Ive never shot the 215s that far off. I'll give it a try next time. How many round groups are you shooting.

Ive never shot the 215s that far off. I'll give it a try next time. How many round groups are you shooting.
I tested 60, 70, 80, 90etc, no difference so im loading 70 off and not gonna worry about chasing
215 hybrid
Rl26
CCI250

Attachments

• 20200419_155712.jpg
    20200419_155712.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 116
I tested 60, 70, 80, 90etc, no difference so im loading 70 off and not gonna worry about chasing
215 hybrid
Rl26
CCI250

Yea not too worried about it. I'm usually in the high .3" to high .4" for 5 round groups right now with my final load and SDs in the mid to low single digits. Seated at the lands. Never tried anything more then 20 off in the last 3 rifles I worked up. But I guess taking a few of my already loaded up rounds and seat em deeper for a quick try never hurts.

This thread is going to cost me money. Not really impressed with the SAUM speeds Im getting and want to step up to a 300WM but might as well do it right and skip the belt right out of the gate.

For the short barrel guys is a 215 HYB @ 2850 doable from a suppressed 22.5" barrel?

This thread is going to cost me money. Not really impressed with the SAUM speeds Im getting and want to step up to a 300WM but might as well do it right and skip the belt right out of the gate.

For the short barrel guys is a 215 HYB @ 2850 doable from a suppressed 22.5" barrel?

My 22 inch with tbac slings em at 2910 without pressure with RL26. 215s, ADG brass and cci250s.

Last edited:
My 22 inch with tbac slings em at 2910 without pressure with RL26. 215s, ADG brass and cci250s.

Damn that’s a nice blaster.

Have a jug of 26 on backorder but plenty of H1000 and some 7977 too so should be good to get started. Got 100 pcs of ADG brass coming too just need some dies.

Damn that’s a nice blaster.

Have a jug of 26 on backorder but plenty of H1000 and some 7977 too so should be good to get started. Got 100 pcs of ADG brass coming too just need some dies.

Thanks. Appreciate it. Its my elk rifle as of right now.

Find someone with some RL26 locally that can spare a few pounds, if you want the velocity on the shorter barrels.

Most actions without a continuous pic rail base have issues mounting the S&B 3-20US but in this case with the Lone Peak Fusion TI LA is works just right. Haven't decided whether or not the Ultra 5 or 7 will live on the rifle or not and what one is going to the other hinting rig.

Complete rifle with mag, and with the suppressor on there weighs 11.1 lbs. I was planning on 12 or less so I'm thrilled with the combo. Should be still be around 11.5 with loaded mag and a sling.

Last edited:

I hear you on costing money. This thread has me in for a new rifle. I don't have anything in the Magnum variety so I felt PRC was the way to go after tons of research.

Big horn origin action ORDERED
K&P prefit, 24" heavy Palma 9T LH ORDERED
KRG W3
Triggertech Diamond
Leupold MK5HD 5-25X56

Chassis trigger and optic may change but this all fills the budget out for now.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
Just about to send my parts off to Mile High to get my 300 PRC built. Can someone post what the H2O capacity of once fired ADG brass is coming in at? I've heard hornady brass is around 97 or 99 gn, but some say ADG is more like 93. I'm working with quickload to figure out which bullet to shoot. I'm using it for hunting and I'm partial to the bergers, so I was hoping for the 245 gr, but the 210 is my next choice.

Defiance Deviant action
Proof 26" 1:9 barrel
MPA BA chassis winter camo
Trigger tech single stage
Spuhr hunting scope mount
Leopold Mark 5 scope
TBAC CB mount brake and ultra 7 suppressor

When they spin up my barrel, I need to send a dummy round with approximate seating depth. I don't want to go 245 if it's super slow from case capacity being I'm already limited by mag length at 3.780, less 0.045 for functional room for the bullet, and that's assuming ogive at the lands. Then I like to be 20-30 off the lands but we'll see where the bullet likes it.

Here is a better picture. I had to switch back to ARC rings. I bought the new ultra light zeiss ones with the bubble level and they slipped like crazy. Was all the way up to 28 inch pounds and still didn't work. They recommend 16. So back to the ARCs and they are solid.

Most actions without a continuous pic rail base have issues mounting the S&B 3-20US but in this case with the Lone Peak Fusion TI LA is works just right. Haven't decided whether or not the Ultra 5 or 7 will live on the rifle or not and what one is going to the other hinting rig.

Complete rifle with mag, and with the suppressor on there weighs 11.1 lbs. I was planning on 12 or less so I'm thrilled with the combo. Should be still be around 11.5 with loaded mag and a sling.

View attachment 7312009
Hot

Hi everyone,
Just about to send my parts off to Mile High to get my 300 PRC built. Can someone post what the H2O capacity of once fired ADG brass is coming in at? I've heard hornady brass is around 97 or 99 gn, but some say ADG is more like 93. I'm working with quickload to figure out which bullet to shoot. I'm using it for hunting and I'm partial to the bergers, so I was hoping for the 245 gr, but the 210 is my next choice.

Defiance Deviant action
Proof 26" 1:9 barrel
MPA BA chassis winter camo
Trigger tech single stage
Spuhr hunting scope mount
Leopold Mark 5 scope
TBAC CB mount brake and ultra 7 suppressor

When they spin up my barrel, I need to send a dummy round with approximate seating depth. I don't want to go 245 if it's super slow from case capacity being I'm already limited by mag length at 3.780, less 0.045 for functional room for the bullet, and that's assuming ogive at the lands. Then I like to be 20-30 off the lands but we'll see where the bullet likes it.
the 245 may be a little harder than the 210 or new 205 but it really depends what you're looking for speed wise. 26" is a help for sure over a 22"

I hear you on costing money.

It might not be so bad. I wanted to load up a couple rounds to take some measurements and I was able to use my RCBS 308 seater with the bullet window and after measuring a couple pieces of ADG brass with bullets seated I got .337 which is perfect since I already have a .335 bushing. So two less things to buy.

Sounds like you'll have a nice rifle soon.

Finally got to shoot over a chrono. This is what I'm working with so far.
24" 9t

View attachment 7312174
View attachment 7312175

Nice results, looks like a nice flat spot with the 225 at 77.5 H1000. That gives me hope I can get to 2850 with the 215 HYB with a 22.5" bbl.

It might not be so bad. I wanted to load up a couple rounds to take some measurements and I was able to use my RCBS 308 seater with the bullet window and after measuring a couple pieces of ADG brass with bullets seated I got .337 which is perfect since I already have a .335 bushing. So two less things to buy.

Sounds like you'll have a nice rifle soon.

Nice results, looks like a nice flat spot with the 225 at 77.5 H1000. That gives me hope I can get to 2850 with the 215 HYB with a 22.5" bbl.

I don't see why not, I did run into some pressure signs with RL26/225ELD at 75.8gr as in more felt recoil, heavy bolt and ejector marks so I'll drop it down. I didn't hit pressure signs on anything else. The 208 ELD numbers are what impressed me and recoil was significantly less. I'll run a better test on the 215s next time.

Reactions: GMZ