300 PRC update

96C

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 9, 2007
    Aust
    Lapua virgin brass, expander mandrel, trimmed, deburred.
    Berger 210 VLD Hunter 30cal
    Fed GM215M primers
    ADI AR2217 (H1000) - 77.6gr is my final load.
    0.020" approx off lands.

77.0 up to 77.8 were all below 0.5 MOA... So, these are awesome and very easy to load.

300PRCtest.jpg
    300prc.jpg
    TQLI2174.JPG

Last edited:

davethedog

Just a guy shooting stuff
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Aug 17, 2020
    Denver, CO
    Lapua virgin brass, expander mandrel, trimmed, deburred.
    Berger 210 VLD Hunter 30cal
    Fed GM215M primers
    ADI AR2217 (H1000) - 77.6gr is my final load.
    0.020" approx off lands.

77.0 up to 77.8 were all below 0.5 MOA... So, these are awesome and very easy to load.

View attachment 7795466View attachment 7795467View attachment 7795468
    I'd be interested to see how your load changes with 1x fired. It was my experience that I had a lot of body expansion from virgin to 1x fired. I had to back down .7gr to get the same velocity without pressure. This was with the first revision SAMMI reamer and Redding dies.

Reactions: 96C

DangerRanger

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 9, 2018
    East
    I’ve been enjoying my prc, but it’s a short barrel hunting rifle so I primarily focus on 215s inside of 1k.

Im considering jointing a range with a mile steel plate, and thus building a mile gun. I’m already set up to load this cartridge so it’s a front runner for me, with also considering a 338 lapua improved or norma improved. Opinions? Anyone use this cartridge *specifically* for mile shooting? I see good success on here from a few members I just want to make sure if I’m gonna build a rifle I do it for the optimal cartridge for this not for one that will work, I’m sure it will work.

In a quick applied ballistics test case I’m seeing a 230 hybrid to be around 1200 fps if I start it out at 3k. Seems pretty good

b2lee

Stealthy
    Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    Impressive. If you had roughly $2,000 to spend on a factory rifle in 300 PRC with potential for future enhancement in the future, what would you buy?
    I am the worlds worst at giving advice on budget builds. I drank the kool-aide decades ago and go full customs. My action alone is like $1350. I have no time behind a factory build....thus I can't give an opinion on one. I'll let others that do own or have experience on these types of builds chime in....but again...I'm not one to ask about anything that isn't high end.

Reactions: JB.IC and gnochi

Gogga

Private
    Minuteman
    Jan 31, 2022
    Sunny England
    I am the worlds worst at giving advice on budget builds. I drank the kool-aide decades ago and go full customs. My action alone is like $1350. I have no time behind a factory build....thus I can't give an opinion on one. I'll let others that do own or have experience on these types of builds chime in....but again...I'm not one to ask about anything that isn't high end.
    Thanks for an honest answer. Custom is definitely the best way. One of the pluses of 300 PRC is it's better designed off the shelf to run the heavier bullets than 300 Win mag. My plan is to go for something that I can rebarrel, restock etc as parts wear out/funds allow.

gnochi

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
    May 6, 2019
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks for an honest answer. Custom is definitely the best way. One of the pluses of 300 PRC is it's better designed off the shelf to run the heavier bullets than 300 Win mag. My plan is to go for something that I can rebarrel, restock etc as parts wear out/funds allow.
    Stretch $200 and get a Bad Rock South Fork in 300 PRC.

The problem with starting with most factory rifles is that the actions need a bunch of work for barrel/bore alignment, trigger replacement and timing, bolt stop that’s compatible with the good triggers, upsized screws for the scope rail… and once you’ve done that you’d have saved money with a custom build in the first place.

Tikka is a notable exception, but the maximum cartridge length is crippling for 300 PRC; Bergara is mostly decent but made some weird design decisions with the bolt/barrel interface.

JB.IC

Jackass of the Hide
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jan 25, 2019
    I use 300PRC for 1 mile benchrest....and ELR out to 2500 yards....and it wins.
    I’ll second this. I’ve won two 1MOA matches with my old 300PRC. Obviously you have to know how to use the tool but the point is the 300PRC is a capable tool.

Gogga

Private
    Minuteman
    Jan 31, 2022
    Sunny England
    Stretch $200 and get a Bad Rock South Fork in 300 PRC.

The problem with starting with most factory rifles is that the actions need a bunch of work for barrel/bore alignment, trigger replacement and timing, bolt stop that’s compatible with the good triggers, upsized screws for the scope rail… and once you’ve done that you’d have saved money with a custom build in the first place.

Tikka is a notable exception, but the maximum cartridge length is crippling for 300 PRC; Bergara is mostly decent but made some weird design decisions with the bolt/barrel interface.
    That's good advice. It's balancing not having anything to shoot versus buying something good enough to be worth spending on later. I did look at Tikka but as you say they look too short in important areas for 300 PRC. I did wonder about a Bergara Premier Pro but it's the little things that can catch you out, hence my questions. If it's a custom build I'll have to put the plans on ice for a few years I think. At least it will give me time to decide what I want.

Reactions: gnochi

Schw15

Longrange
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Jul 21, 2019
    Colorado
    That's good advice. It's balancing not having anything to shoot versus buying something good enough to be worth spending on later. I did look at Tikka but as you say they look too short in important areas for 300 PRC. I did wonder about a Bergara Premier Pro but it's the little things that can catch you out, hence my questions. If it's a custom build I'll have to put the plans on ice for a few years I think. At least it will give me time to decide what I want.
    If your wanting to spend $2k just on rifle? I'm sure you could buy arc nucleus or big horn orgin or so buy a prefit barrel and a chassis of your liking and be very good setup. But the 2k will fly with those 3 and still need a trigger. There are barrel nut prefits that are cheaper but shoot great I'm not saying you will shoot with b2lee at 1 Mile paper but a great start

Reactions: Gogga and gnochi

Bandit320

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Sep 1, 2018
    Missouri

On my 300 WM I did a build using a Rem 783 and a Criterion barrel; shot great. Right now doing a PRC build on a Howa 1500 with a Shilen barrel.

Reactions: Gogga

newageroman

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Jul 13, 2018
    www.brassbucket.net
    I wussed out and got a used Bergara LRP here for cheap. I'm not top tier gear guy but it shows promise. I just got some 198 gn PVA solids to try with it after it warms up a bit.

Reactions: Gogga

Gogga

Private
    Minuteman
    Jan 31, 2022
    Sunny England
    If your wanting to spend $2k just on rifle? I'm sure you could buy arc nucleus or big horn orgin or so buy a prefit barrel and a chassis of your liking and be very good setup. But the 2k will fly with those 3 and still need a trigger. There are barrel nut prefits that are cheaper but shoot great I'm not saying you will shoot with b2lee at 1 Mile paper but a great start
    Yes that was the kind of budget I was looking at for the bare rifle. I should mention I'll be paying ripoff Britain prices being over the pond. It also makes the choices more restricted but I value the experience you have over the pond so I'm open to all options. I was initially considering the Bergara Premier but definitely not expecting top tier performance like b2lee gets. The idea being it's R700 pattern so stocks would be ready to source and could be rebarrelled with a quality barrel at a later date.

300PRCHunter

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 6, 2022
    Colorado
    Does anyone know if the newish Magpul 700 Pro LA chassis will accommodate 300PRC and if so, what mags would you have to use? The LA PMAGS only allow for 3.5" long projectiles.
    Reviving this super old question.

With some hand files and a LOT of elbow grease, you can remove enough material from the Inside of the magazine to accommodate the Hornady 212 gr ELD-X loaded to the factory 3.650” C.O.L.

Just used a flat file on the rear and a very small round to essentially cut a channel for the tip.

Was able to load all 5 rounds and cycle with no feeding issues

The mag has not lost any integrity

Reactions: jasent

newageroman

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Jul 13, 2018
    www.brassbucket.net
    Got some ladder loads today. Good flat primers and noticeable ejector marks on the upper end. Now that I have the limits, I can work down and find a node. I also have the Tuner Brake to mess with too. looking forward to warmer weather.

198_PVA_solids.jpg

JBarton

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 1, 2020
    Wyoming
    Im running an EC tuner brake on my 30 Sherman Magnum and wish I would have had it on my 300PRC barrel as well. I am in the process of replacing all of my muzzle brakes with tuner brakes.
    I am going to try solids or just shoot A tips, any preference beyond availability? My 30SM is running an 8 twist Bartlein so I should be able to push tge 250gr atips. Right now I'm running 225gr ELDM'S at 3020fps under 1/2 minute. Reason I am asking is because I plan on shooting in the Nightforce ELR match in Casper this year and need to run something different. Pending my powder supply that is always on the decline.....

Got some ladder loads today. Good flat primers and noticeable ejector marks on the upper end. Now that I have the limits, I can work down and find a node. I also have the Tuner Brake to mess with too. looking forward to warmer weather.

View attachment 7802497

Reactions: newageroman

Hondo1

Sergeant USMC
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Jun 2, 2014
    Colorado
    Im running an EC tuner brake on my 30 Sherman Magnum and wish I would have had it on my 300PRC barrel as well. I am in the process of replacing all of my muzzle brakes with tuner brakes.
    I am going to try solids or just shoot A tips, any preference beyond availability? My 30SM is running an 8 twist Bartlein so I should be able to push tge 250gr atips. Right now I'm running 225gr ELDM'S at 3020fps under 1/2 minute. Reason I am asking is because I plan on shooting in the Nightforce ELR match in Casper this year and need to run something different. Pending my powder supply that is always on the decline.....
    What powder are you using in your Sherman?

JBarton

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 1, 2020
    Wyoming
    Ec tuner brake on my 30SM. 300PRC Ackley improved.. pics show the size next to an area 419 Sidewinder muzzle brake and how the tuner end comes apart and works. Great piece of kit.
    20220130_151150.jpg
    20211204_132004.jpg
    20211204_132054.jpg20211204_132126.jpg

JBarton

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 1, 2020
    Wyoming
    What powder are you using in your Sherman?
    One load is 77.8gr RL26 @3020fps and the other is with I believe 84.3gr RL33 @3028fps. Both running 225gr ELDM'S with 0.035" jump, ADG brass, Federal 215m primers. Both have reasonable ES around 15 and SD numbers in the low single digits.
    After shooting a match this past weekend and talking to a few accomplished shooters I am going to shoot out to 1k on paper and measure my vertical. I think it will help me to figure out if I need to make load adjustments or not.

I am going to check my data book and verify my exact loads. I believe I might be off on my RL33 load description.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Hondo1

wvuhunter

Private
    Minuteman
    Mar 17, 2018
    How many reloading are you guys up to on your Lapua brass? I’m trying to decide on a caliber and was told case life on the belted magnum wasn’t good. Can I expect more life out of the prc if I don’t push it too hard?

b2lee

Stealthy
    Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    I got 8 on some of the Lapua...I backed down from the 3000fps mark to the 2925fps mark...and brass is holding up a lot better.

This is with a 29.5" barrel and a 245gr Berger

JB.IC

Jackass of the Hide
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jan 25, 2019
    I still don’t know how you guys are slinging them 245/250s so fast. I have a 30” 300NM and the 220 LRTH give me pressure at 3000fps.

Reactions: wildcats

b2lee

Stealthy
    Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    I still don’t know how you guys are slinging them 245/250s so fast. I have a 30” 300NM and the 220 LRTH give me pressure at 3000fps.

Didn't say we weren't seeing pressures...but what powder?...I'm using home made RL-26...you find some unicorns...you raise them free range, all organic, cruelty free...and you lightly sand their horns with a toenail file to get the magic dust.

JB.IC

Jackass of the Hide
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jan 25, 2019
    Didn't say we weren't seeing pressures...but what powder?...I'm using home made RL-26...you find some unicorns...you raise them free range, all organic, cruelty free...and you lightly sand their horns with a toenail file to get the magic dust.
    I’m using 8133, N565, or H1000. I have some n570 but I’m afraid to use it because of how hard it is to get. I know the n570 will have about 100fps boost. I have a few jugs of RL26 but that’s too fast for the 300nm. The cause fill would not be ideal.

With the 220 and 8133 & n565 I get pressure around 3020fps.

I sold my 300PRC and associated reloading equipment to a guy and I was debating on turning my AXSR into a 300PRC but everything I needed for a 300NM was in stock. So that was an easy decision. That being said, my 300nm is around 100fps faster than my previous 300PRC with some of the things being equal except case volume.

2aBaCa

Humans are amusing
    Minuteman
    Jan 27, 2019
    I Da ho
    Did you guys see they put US869 on the 300 PRC reloading chart. Actually have some but have yet to try it. I've had good luck with Ramshot LRT close to case max. Slinging 225s almost 2900+ from a 24" tube.

Reactions: Andrevius

ubettcha

Private
    Minuteman
  • Dec 23, 2017
    I’m using 8133, N565, or H1000. I have some n570 but I’m afraid to use it because of how hard it is to get. I know the n570 will have about 100fps boost. I have a few jugs of RL26 but that’s too fast for the 300nm. The cause fill would not be ideal.

With the 220 and 8133 & n565 I get pressure around 3020fps.

I sold my 300PRC and associated reloading equipment to a guy and I was debating on turning my AXSR into a 300PRC but everything I needed for a 300NM was in stock. So that was an easy decision. That being said, my 300nm is around 100fps faster than my previous 300PRC with some of the things being equal except case volume.
    H50bmg works well for me in my cousin's 300rum/230 berger load. It seems to be fairly temp stable also. Might work well in your norma

JB.IC

Jackass of the Hide
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jan 25, 2019
    H50bmg works well for me in my cousin's 300rum/230 berger load. It seems to be fairly temp stable also. Might work well in your norma
    I have a lot of h50bmg and RL50 (which is faster than h50bmg) also. The burn % isn’t great according to quick loads.

I might give RL50 a shot but I’d rather have n570….

Jscb1b

Dumbass.
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Dec 22, 2018
    Arizona
    Did you guys see they put US869 on the 300 PRC reloading chart. Actually have some but have yet to try it. I've had good luck with Ramshot LRT close to case max. Slinging 225s almost 2900+ from a 24" tube.
    I'm running LRT also. Hornady brass CCI 250 primers 230gn Berger hybrid OTM and 85gn of powder. 92gn is a compressed load. I saw pressure at 89gn. How much powder are you using? And I'm seating .010 off the lands.

2aBaCa

Humans are amusing
    Minuteman
    Jan 27, 2019
    I Da ho
    I'm running LRT also. Hornady brass CCI 250 primers 230gn Berger hybrid OTM and 85gn of powder. 92gn is a compressed load. I saw pressure at 89gn. How much powder are you using? And I'm seating .010 off the lands.
    I went as high as 88.5 no pressure. Just did a 20 shot velocity test 79-88.5gr. in half gr increments and I got. 2550fps- 2900fps. Here's the group.
    SmartSelect_20220216-210627_Gallery.jpg

BCX

5 Star PumpMaster
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Mar 18, 2018
    Is the free bore in the 300 PRC is longer than your 300 NM? I’m pushing Berger 220 in my sons 30 SM @ 3090 w a mid level 300 PRC charge weight and N570 from a 28 inch barrel. My buddy is hitting 3k in his 300 NM w245/250 throated long w N570 from a 27 inch barrel..

JB.IC

Jackass of the Hide
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jan 25, 2019
    Is the free bore in the 300 PRC is longer than your 300 NM? I’m pushing Berger 220 in my sons 30 SM @ 3090 w a mid level 300 PRC charge weight and N570 from a 28 inch barrel. My buddy is hitting 3k in his 300 NM w245/250 throated long w N570 from a 27 inch barrel..
    You’re results are purely from n570. It’s about 100fps faster than any powder pushing heavies. Just like RL26

Reactions: buschdog

BCX

5 Star PumpMaster
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Mar 18, 2018
    I would think RL-33 would out perform RL-26 w 220 and heavier class bullets. I will have to load some up if the Berger’s ever show up.

Reactions: stefan73

nick338

Commander- of what I have no idea
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Feb 21, 2013
    I would think RL-33 would out perform RL-26 w 220 and heavier class bullets. I will have to load some up if the Berger’s ever show up.

You are correct. RL-26 is very close to N565 in terms of energy and burn rate.

JBarton

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 1, 2020
    Wyoming
    I never tried RL33 when i was running my 300PRC barrel but am now running RL33 in my 30SM pushing 225gr ELDM 3040fps out of a 28" 8 twist Bartlein. I believe its around 88.4gr. Just starting load development with the 250gr A-Tips. Hit 3016fps at 89.2gr of RL33 and no pressure signs. Compressed load due to seating to mag length. Around 0.085" jump. I'm running a node at 2960fps.
    20220216_180049.jpg

20220216_180055.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2022-02-16 21:50:53.950753.png

wvuhunter

Private
    Minuteman
    Mar 17, 2018
    This is some amazing performance you guys are getting from your PRC’s.

I’m looking to put together a lighter weight magnum to carry suppressed for hunting and shoot with a break while bench shooting.

Leaning towards PRC over Win Mag to get away from belt and hopefully better case life.

For recoil reduction I am thinking about shooting bullets in the 200 gr range. What powder should I be looking for with bullets in that range and good temperature stability?

Last edited:

Rocketmandb

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 2, 2018
    This is some amazing performance you guys are getting from your PRC’s.

I’m looking to put together a lighter weight magnum to carry suppressed for hunting and shoot with a break while bench shooting.

Leaning towards PRC over Win Mag to get away from belt and hopefully better case life.

For recoil reduction I am thinking about shooting bullets in the 200 gr range. What powder should I be looking for with bullets in that range and good temperature stability?

If the Berger bullets give you the terminal performance you're looking for, look at the Berger 200.20 HX. They are somewhat available right now and very forgiving.

As for powder, RL26 continues to be the bomb and would work well with that bullet. H1000 is another (but unobtanium at the moment).

wvuhunter

Private
    Minuteman
    Mar 17, 2018
    Thanks for the response.
    Would the 200.20 be a decent hunting bullet or should I look for the 205 elite hunter?

Rocketmandb

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 2, 2018
    Thanks for the response.
    Would the 200.20 be a decent hunting bullet or should I look for the 205 elite hunter?

The difference between the "Hunter" and "Target" bullets is that the target variety have a thicker jacket so they can be pushed harder.

I'm not a hunter so I can't speak from experience as to how they perform, but I've read that the hunting performance of Berger target bullets is good.

Andrevius

Critical Care Nurse | Warrior Poet | Army Veteran
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Aug 30, 2020
    Newmarket, NH
    www.instagram.com
    Getting ready for some Load Development for my 300 PRC in the next month. I've had a hard time finding the venerable powders, but I'm sitting on some 7828ssc and LRT. It seems like there's some good luck with LRT. Anyone have anymore information or feedback on the LRT? Anyone try 7828?

I've scoured this entire thread I have a good idea of which velocity nodes I'm looking for. I'll be shooting 230gr atips with a 28" bartlein.

nealm66

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Jan 14, 2020
    I did some load work up with it with 245’s. Western powders has some info that should give you a start load. It was accurate and fast in my rifle but n-570 was better