• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

I am the worlds worst at giving advice on budget builds. I drank the kool-aide decades ago and go full customs. My action alone is like $1350. I have no time behind a factory build....thus I can't give an opinion on one. I'll let others that do own or have experience on these types of builds chime in....but again...I'm not one to ask about anything that isn't high end.
Thanks for an honest answer. Custom is definitely the best way. One of the pluses of 300 PRC is it's better designed off the shelf to run the heavier bullets than 300 Win mag. My plan is to go for something that I can rebarrel, restock etc as parts wear out/funds allow.

Thanks for an honest answer. Custom is definitely the best way. One of the pluses of 300 PRC is it's better designed off the shelf to run the heavier bullets than 300 Win mag. My plan is to go for something that I can rebarrel, restock etc as parts wear out/funds allow.
Stretch $200 and get a Bad Rock South Fork in 300 PRC.

The problem with starting with most factory rifles is that the actions need a bunch of work for barrel/bore alignment, trigger replacement and timing, bolt stop that’s compatible with the good triggers, upsized screws for the scope rail… and once you’ve done that you’d have saved money with a custom build in the first place.

Tikka is a notable exception, but the maximum cartridge length is crippling for 300 PRC; Bergara is mostly decent but made some weird design decisions with the bolt/barrel interface.

I use 300PRC for 1 mile benchrest....and ELR out to 2500 yards....and it wins.
I’ll second this. I’ve won two 1MOA matches with my old 300PRC. Obviously you have to know how to use the tool but the point is the 300PRC is a capable tool.

Stretch $200 and get a Bad Rock South Fork in 300 PRC.

The problem with starting with most factory rifles is that the actions need a bunch of work for barrel/bore alignment, trigger replacement and timing, bolt stop that’s compatible with the good triggers, upsized screws for the scope rail… and once you’ve done that you’d have saved money with a custom build in the first place.

Tikka is a notable exception, but the maximum cartridge length is crippling for 300 PRC; Bergara is mostly decent but made some weird design decisions with the bolt/barrel interface.
That's good advice. It's balancing not having anything to shoot versus buying something good enough to be worth spending on later. I did look at Tikka but as you say they look too short in important areas for 300 PRC. I did wonder about a Bergara Premier Pro but it's the little things that can catch you out, hence my questions. If it's a custom build I'll have to put the plans on ice for a few years I think. At least it will give me time to decide what I want.

Reactions: gnochi
That's good advice. It's balancing not having anything to shoot versus buying something good enough to be worth spending on later. I did look at Tikka but as you say they look too short in important areas for 300 PRC. I did wonder about a Bergara Premier Pro but it's the little things that can catch you out, hence my questions. If it's a custom build I'll have to put the plans on ice for a few years I think. At least it will give me time to decide what I want.
If your wanting to spend $2k just on rifle? I'm sure you could buy arc nucleus or big horn orgin or so buy a prefit barrel and a chassis of your liking and be very good setup. But the 2k will fly with those 3 and still need a trigger. There are barrel nut prefits that are cheaper but shoot great I'm not saying you will shoot with b2lee at 1 Mile paper but a great start

Reactions: Gogga and gnochi

On my 300 WM I did a build using a Rem 783 and a Criterion barrel; shot great. Right now doing a PRC build on a Howa 1500 with a Shilen barrel.

Reactions: Gogga
I wussed out and got a used Bergara LRP here for cheap. I'm not top tier gear guy but it shows promise. I just got some 198 gn PVA solids to try with it after it warms up a bit.

Reactions: Gogga
If your wanting to spend $2k just on rifle? I'm sure you could buy arc nucleus or big horn orgin or so buy a prefit barrel and a chassis of your liking and be very good setup. But the 2k will fly with those 3 and still need a trigger. There are barrel nut prefits that are cheaper but shoot great I'm not saying you will shoot with b2lee at 1 Mile paper but a great start
Yes that was the kind of budget I was looking at for the bare rifle. I should mention I'll be paying ripoff Britain prices being over the pond. It also makes the choices more restricted but I value the experience you have over the pond so I'm open to all options. I was initially considering the Bergara Premier but definitely not expecting top tier performance like b2lee gets. The idea being it's R700 pattern so stocks would be ready to source and could be rebarrelled with a quality barrel at a later date.

Does anyone know if the newish Magpul 700 Pro LA chassis will accommodate 300PRC and if so, what mags would you have to use? The LA PMAGS only allow for 3.5" long projectiles.
Reviving this super old question.

With some hand files and a LOT of elbow grease, you can remove enough material from the Inside of the magazine to accommodate the Hornady 212 gr ELD-X loaded to the factory 3.650” C.O.L.

Just used a flat file on the rear and a very small round to essentially cut a channel for the tip.

Was able to load all 5 rounds and cycle with no feeding issues

The mag has not lost any integrity

Reactions: jasent
Got some ladder loads today. Good flat primers and noticeable ejector marks on the upper end. Now that I have the limits, I can work down and find a node. I also have the Tuner Brake to mess with too. looking forward to warmer weather.

198_PVA_solids.jpg

Im running an EC tuner brake on my 30 Sherman Magnum and wish I would have had it on my 300PRC barrel as well. I am in the process of replacing all of my muzzle brakes with tuner brakes.
I am going to try solids or just shoot A tips, any preference beyond availability? My 30SM is running an 8 twist Bartlein so I should be able to push tge 250gr atips. Right now I'm running 225gr ELDM'S at 3020fps under 1/2 minute. Reason I am asking is because I plan on shooting in the Nightforce ELR match in Casper this year and need to run something different. Pending my powder supply that is always on the decline.....

Got some ladder loads today. Good flat primers and noticeable ejector marks on the upper end. Now that I have the limits, I can work down and find a node. I also have the Tuner Brake to mess with too. looking forward to warmer weather.

View attachment 7802497

Reactions: newageroman
Im running an EC tuner brake on my 30 Sherman Magnum and wish I would have had it on my 300PRC barrel as well. I am in the process of replacing all of my muzzle brakes with tuner brakes.
I am going to try solids or just shoot A tips, any preference beyond availability? My 30SM is running an 8 twist Bartlein so I should be able to push tge 250gr atips. Right now I'm running 225gr ELDM'S at 3020fps under 1/2 minute. Reason I am asking is because I plan on shooting in the Nightforce ELR match in Casper this year and need to run something different. Pending my powder supply that is always on the decline.....
What powder are you using in your Sherman?

Ec tuner brake on my 30SM. 300PRC Ackley improved.. pics show the size next to an area 419 Sidewinder muzzle brake and how the tuner end comes apart and works. Great piece of kit.
20220130_151150.jpg
20211204_132004.jpg
20211204_132054.jpg20211204_132126.jpg

What powder are you using in your Sherman?
One load is 77.8gr RL26 @3020fps and the other is with I believe 84.3gr RL33 @3028fps. Both running 225gr ELDM'S with 0.035" jump, ADG brass, Federal 215m primers. Both have reasonable ES around 15 and SD numbers in the low single digits.
After shooting a match this past weekend and talking to a few accomplished shooters I am going to shoot out to 1k on paper and measure my vertical. I think it will help me to figure out if I need to make load adjustments or not.

I am going to check my data book and verify my exact loads. I believe I might be off on my RL33 load description.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hondo1
How many reloading are you guys up to on your Lapua brass? I’m trying to decide on a caliber and was told case life on the belted magnum wasn’t good. Can I expect more life out of the prc if I don’t push it too hard?

I got 8 on some of the Lapua...I backed down from the 3000fps mark to the 2925fps mark...and brass is holding up a lot better.

This is with a 29.5" barrel and a 245gr Berger

I still don’t know how you guys are slinging them 245/250s so fast. I have a 30” 300NM and the 220 LRTH give me pressure at 3000fps.

Reactions: wildcats
I still don’t know how you guys are slinging them 245/250s so fast. I have a 30” 300NM and the 220 LRTH give me pressure at 3000fps.

Didn't say we weren't seeing pressures...but what powder?...I'm using home made RL-26...you find some unicorns...you raise them free range, all organic, cruelty free...and you lightly sand their horns with a toenail file to get the magic dust.

Didn't say we weren't seeing pressures...but what powder?...I'm using home made RL-26...you find some unicorns...you raise them free range, all organic, cruelty free...and you lightly sand their horns with a toenail file to get the magic dust.
I’m using 8133, N565, or H1000. I have some n570 but I’m afraid to use it because of how hard it is to get. I know the n570 will have about 100fps boost. I have a few jugs of RL26 but that’s too fast for the 300nm. The cause fill would not be ideal.

With the 220 and 8133 & n565 I get pressure around 3020fps.

I sold my 300PRC and associated reloading equipment to a guy and I was debating on turning my AXSR into a 300PRC but everything I needed for a 300NM was in stock. So that was an easy decision. That being said, my 300nm is around 100fps faster than my previous 300PRC with some of the things being equal except case volume.

Did you guys see they put US869 on the 300 PRC reloading chart. Actually have some but have yet to try it. I've had good luck with Ramshot LRT close to case max. Slinging 225s almost 2900+ from a 24" tube.

Reactions: Killer Deal
I’m using 8133, N565, or H1000. I have some n570 but I’m afraid to use it because of how hard it is to get. I know the n570 will have about 100fps boost. I have a few jugs of RL26 but that’s too fast for the 300nm. The cause fill would not be ideal.

With the 220 and 8133 & n565 I get pressure around 3020fps.

I sold my 300PRC and associated reloading equipment to a guy and I was debating on turning my AXSR into a 300PRC but everything I needed for a 300NM was in stock. So that was an easy decision. That being said, my 300nm is around 100fps faster than my previous 300PRC with some of the things being equal except case volume.
H50bmg works well for me in my cousin's 300rum/230 berger load. It seems to be fairly temp stable also. Might work well in your norma

H50bmg works well for me in my cousin's 300rum/230 berger load. It seems to be fairly temp stable also. Might work well in your norma
I have a lot of h50bmg and RL50 (which is faster than h50bmg) also. The burn % isn’t great according to quick loads.

I might give RL50 a shot but I’d rather have n570….

Did you guys see they put US869 on the 300 PRC reloading chart. Actually have some but have yet to try it. I've had good luck with Ramshot LRT close to case max. Slinging 225s almost 2900+ from a 24" tube.
I'm running LRT also. Hornady brass CCI 250 primers 230gn Berger hybrid OTM and 85gn of powder. 92gn is a compressed load. I saw pressure at 89gn. How much powder are you using? And I'm seating .010 off the lands.

I'm running LRT also. Hornady brass CCI 250 primers 230gn Berger hybrid OTM and 85gn of powder. 92gn is a compressed load. I saw pressure at 89gn. How much powder are you using? And I'm seating .010 off the lands.
I went as high as 88.5 no pressure. Just did a 20 shot velocity test 79-88.5gr. in half gr increments and I got. 2550fps- 2900fps. Here's the group.
SmartSelect_20220216-210627_Gallery.jpg

Is the free bore in the 300 PRC is longer than your 300 NM? I’m pushing Berger 220 in my sons 30 SM @ 3090 w a mid level 300 PRC charge weight and N570 from a 28 inch barrel. My buddy is hitting 3k in his 300 NM w245/250 throated long w N570 from a 27 inch barrel..

Is the free bore in the 300 PRC is longer than your 300 NM? I’m pushing Berger 220 in my sons 30 SM @ 3090 w a mid level 300 PRC charge weight and N570 from a 28 inch barrel. My buddy is hitting 3k in his 300 NM w245/250 throated long w N570 from a 27 inch barrel..
You’re results are purely from n570. It’s about 100fps faster than any powder pushing heavies. Just like RL26

Reactions: buschdog
I would think RL-33 would out perform RL-26 w 220 and heavier class bullets. I will have to load some up if the Berger’s ever show up.

Reactions: stefan73
I would think RL-33 would out perform RL-26 w 220 and heavier class bullets. I will have to load some up if the Berger’s ever show up.

You are correct. RL-26 is very close to N565 in terms of energy and burn rate.

I never tried RL33 when i was running my 300PRC barrel but am now running RL33 in my 30SM pushing 225gr ELDM 3040fps out of a 28" 8 twist Bartlein. I believe its around 88.4gr. Just starting load development with the 250gr A-Tips. Hit 3016fps at 89.2gr of RL33 and no pressure signs. Compressed load due to seating to mag length. Around 0.085" jump. I'm running a node at 2960fps.
20220216_180049.jpg

20220216_180055.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2022-02-16 21:50:53.950753.png

This is some amazing performance you guys are getting from your PRC’s.

I’m looking to put together a lighter weight magnum to carry suppressed for hunting and shoot with a break while bench shooting.

Leaning towards PRC over Win Mag to get away from belt and hopefully better case life.

For recoil reduction I am thinking about shooting bullets in the 200 gr range. What powder should I be looking for with bullets in that range and good temperature stability?

Last edited:
This is some amazing performance you guys are getting from your PRC’s.

I’m looking to put together a lighter weight magnum to carry suppressed for hunting and shoot with a break while bench shooting.

Leaning towards PRC over Win Mag to get away from belt and hopefully better case life.

For recoil reduction I am thinking about shooting bullets in the 200 gr range. What powder should I be looking for with bullets in that range and good temperature stability?

If the Berger bullets give you the terminal performance you're looking for, look at the Berger 200.20 HX. They are somewhat available right now and very forgiving.

As for powder, RL26 continues to be the bomb and would work well with that bullet. H1000 is another (but unobtanium at the moment).

Thanks for the response.
Would the 200.20 be a decent hunting bullet or should I look for the 205 elite hunter?

Thanks for the response.
Would the 200.20 be a decent hunting bullet or should I look for the 205 elite hunter?

The difference between the "Hunter" and "Target" bullets is that the target variety have a thicker jacket so they can be pushed harder.

I'm not a hunter so I can't speak from experience as to how they perform, but I've read that the hunting performance of Berger target bullets is good.

Getting ready for some Load Development for my 300 PRC in the next month. I've had a hard time finding the venerable powders, but I'm sitting on some 7828ssc and LRT. It seems like there's some good luck with LRT. Anyone have anymore information or feedback on the LRT? Anyone try 7828?

I've scoured this entire thread I have a good idea of which velocity nodes I'm looking for. I'll be shooting 230gr atips with a 28" bartlein.

I did some load work up with it with 245’s. Western powders has some info that should give you a start load. It was accurate and fast in my rifle but n-570 was better

Working on developing a load for the 250 atip in my 26" 300 prc..... curious what others target for ES & SD when trying to get a load for 1 mile- 2000 yd shooting?

From what I'm seeing I'm guessing I should be in the low 2800 fps range with H1000 and the 250 out of a 26" barrel?

Working on developing a load for the 250 atip in my 26" 300 prc..... curious what others target for ES & SD when trying to get a load for 1 mile- 2000 yd shooting?

From what I'm seeing I'm guessing I should be in the low 2800 fps range with H1000 and the 250 out of a 26" barrel?
If you can get to 2800 (+/-15) or 2850 (+/- 10) you'll be good to go. In those areas evaluating this entire thread that's about where people found their best SDs/ESs (in the 2800 range). For shooting a mile, ideally any single digit SD. ES will depend on how big your target your trying to hit but 20 or less will be adequate.

If you can get to 2800 (+/-15) or 2850 (+/- 10) you'll be good to go. In those areas evaluating this entire thread that's about where people found their best SDs/ESs (in the 2800 range). For shooting a mile, ideally any single digit SD. ES will depend on how big your target your trying to hit but 20 or less will be adequate.

Awesome, really appreciate your input! Really just trying to figure out if my SD & ES expectations were realistic on a larger magnum caliber or if they were more suited for a small case capacity type of round.

85 to 89.5gn LRT 230 Bergers.

Wow...that just sounds like sooo much powder when I'm running the 245 EOLs at 2925fps or so with a mere 75.0gr of RL-26 in a 30" barrel. With the way powder is now a days...I'll take the 10 grains per savings.

I’m interested to hear data with the 250 A-Tips and LRT. I’ve been able to score a bunch of LRT recently. Haven’t seen RL-26 in quite a while.

Wow...that just sounds like sooo much powder when I'm running the 245 EOLs at 2925fps or so with a mere 75.0gr of RL-26 in a 30" barrel. With the way powder is now a days...I'll take the 10 grains per savings.
LRT is all I got.

I'll be working the LRT here in the next week or 2, if it works man I'll snatch up a lot. I see it locally for 25-35$ so fingers crossed. It is a spherical powder so we'll see I worry about temp sensitivity so as long as its consistent ill make it work. Advantage is that your near case capacity with it so has potential to be solid.

I've run into an issue with my Barrett MRAD 300 PRC barrel that has me scratching my head. I'm using ADG cases that have 5 or 6 firings on them, previous firings went through through a RPR that never gave an issue. Loaded these cases up and ran them through my MRAD once, no problem, then reloaded them as I've always done and now every case is getting stuck in the chamber. Very difficult to pull the bolt even on relatively mild loads.

I ran 10 virgin cases through the rifle today with zero issue, so it's clearly a reloading/ die issue.....

Through research here on the forum I've narrowed it down to my chamber is tight and my hornady bushing die isn't sizing the case web small enough and the case is sticking in the chamber making it hard to pull the bolt back.

Here are the measurements at the case web (.2" up from the base) I'm getting for reference:

Virgin ADG case- .5265"
Fired case- .5305-.531
Resized in my hornady die- .5295-.530"

Is this something I should contact Barrett about? Do they make "small base" dies for 300PRC? Reaming my chamber is apparently an option but is that normal?

My loads for reference:

230 atip- 77.7gr H1000- 2850 FPS
250 atip- 75.9 H1000- 2750 FPS

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

A bit of follow up on this one..... I ran 6 of the same pieces of brass that gave me trouble through my Ruger precision rifle this afternoon with no issue. Seems like that narrows things down to the barrett chamber but I'm still scratching my head....

I then compared measurement on the RPR fired cases to the MRAD fired cases and case web dimensions are the exact same on both.

A bit of follow up on this one..... I ran 6 of the same pieces of brass that gave me trouble through my Ruger precision rifle this afternoon with no issue. Seems like that narrows things down to the barrett chamber but I'm still scratching my head....

I then compared measurement on the RPR fired cases to the MRAD fired cases and case web dimensions are the exact same on both.
Another thing I was thinking did you also check the length from the base to the neck shoulder junction on the sticky cases versus the fresher cases with a headspace gauge. In addition to maybe the full length Sizing die not resizing the case properly it might not be bumping the shoulder back enough.

It’s as you’ve found. Not sure about any other brass (probably similar) but the .020 point ends up too thick after a few firings. Google around, the solution that worked for me was to have my smith polish about .002 out of the chamber. (He actually used a new reamer)

Some say its a Sammi spec issue, some say sizers and some say brass. But the extra 002 solved my issues.

Most likely the RPR Chamber is slightly larger at the case head area. And on the MRAD, it's tighter chamber. You would need a small base die. Or have a gunsmith open up the chamber a bit (0.001"-0.002"?) at the 0.200 (case head part of the chamber).

Also, try Lapua brass...might mitigate this issue better.

I had a similar issue on a 6.5CM match chamber. ADG, Peterson, S&B, Federal brass all did this after a few firings. Lapua brass worked like a charm.

Last edited: