• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

Shot a narrow OCW test at 513 yards today. Probably should have gone wider on the charge range. It appears there’s a super wide velocity flat spot between 74 and 75 grains. On the last outing there was a 23fps spread between 74 and 75 grains(only single shots at each charge), and today it was 3 fps. Charges were double weighed, so not sure what happened, but that seems too close a spread. ES in the individual charges sucked for two of the three, which probably played into the low ES across the range. Since this was the first go round loading the fired cases, I learned that my neck bushing isnt small enough. The Hornady brass necks have a tapered wall thickness, and my .335 bushing doesn’t size them down enough to for a mandrel or expander ball to uniformly establish the ID. So the base of the neck is sized and gets kissed by my mandrel, but the top of the neck was oversized. So the necks are essentially funnel shaped on the ID. Neck tension was all over during seating. I have another bushing inbound.

3ECDD20D-376C-4341-A0CC-AE7A7C63E825.jpeg
CAE222E4-F99A-4982-893D-599B7BABF67D.jpeg

I loaded up 10 extra cases with br-2 and 215m primers(5 each).

Shot three of each at 777 yards. Ignore the group placement, as I adjusted to separate them. The second round of the BR2 load dropped low nearly to the 215m group.

BR-2 primer
A3D08D89-86A3-4856-BF57-6AEC34F83058.jpeg

215m primer
900C01F5-1FF5-4011-82F7-7A4BA7640F81.jpeg

I took the remaining two rounds of each primer and shot them at 897 yards with the same sight setting. One of these rounds didn’t read on the labradar, but the ES of the remaining three was 3 FPS.
60DB9760-530B-498D-B591-0BD0E6F99779.jpeg

Shot a narrow OCW test at 513 yards today. Probably should have gone wider on the charge range. It appears there’s a super wide velocity flat spot between 74 and 75 grains. On the last outing there was a 23fps spread between 74 and 75 grains(only single shots at each charge), and today it was 3 fps. Charges were double weighed, so not sure what happened, but that seems too close a spread. ES in the individual charges sucked for two of the three, which probably played into the low ES across the range. Since this was the first go round loading the fired cases, I learned that my neck bushing isnt small enough. The Hornady brass necks have a tapered wall thickness, and my .335 bushing doesn’t size them down enough to for a mandrel or expander ball to uniformly establish the ID. So the base of the neck is sized and gets kissed by my mandrel, but the top of the neck was oversized. So the necks are essentially funnel shaped on the ID. Neck tension was all over during seating. I have another bushing inbound.

View attachment 7127372View attachment 7127373

Shot three of each at 777 yards. Ignore the group placement, as I adjusted to separate them. The second round of the BR2 load dropped low nearly to the 215m group.

BR-2 primer
View attachment 7127384

215m primer
View attachment 7127385

I took the remaining two rounds of each primer and shot them at 897 yards with the same sight setting. One of these rounds didn’t read on the labradar, but the ES of the remaining three was 3 FPS.
View attachment 7127386
What neck bushing did you order. I have inconsistent neck tension on the hornady brass. Curious what size you are going to. I'm also using that 335 bushing currently.

Reactions: kingston

View attachment 7127372View attachment 7127373

BR-2 primer
View attachment 7127384

215m primer
View attachment 7127385

View attachment 7127386

With all that testing, which primers did you decide to go with?

With all that testing, which primers did you decide to go with?

Not a very comprehensive primer test at this point. So far so good. I’ve played with the BR-2’s in some magnums and super mags with good results in the past. I like the Br-2’s in general, and have a gazillion of them, so if they consistently work this winter in freezing conditions, i’ll use them. Still more tinkering to do.

Not a very comprehensive primer test at this point. So far so good. I’ve played with the BR-2’s in some magnums and super mags with good results in the past. I like the Br-2’s in general, and have a gazillion of them, so if they consistently work this winter in freezing conditions, i’ll use them. Still more tinkering to do.

I've switched over to BR-2s for use with my RWS brass and RL 26 for my load development. I got better results with them on my 300 WM than I did with 215Ms. I lost a little velocity with them, but with RL 26, velocity is not a problem.

EDIT: I should note that I don't live in an area where I'll be doing cold-weather shooting.

Last edited:
Having sticky bolt on reloads. Comes up fine but hard to get back without big effort. Case necks turned and trimmed to factory spec. Factory ammo runs great. Ideas?

I shot 100 rds of factory ammo and couldn't get it to group under an 1.5" at 100 more than once. Demilled 80 of them and measure powder and everything else. Powder had a swing of 2.4 grains high to low and an average of 74.6 grains of whatever was in there. Reloading I have had the same issue though. Neck turned, trimmed to hornady trim spec and the bolt cams over easy enough but it doesn't want to pull rearward. Also, for anyone who cares. I had a few cases that after the 1st firing had what appeared to be rust...iron oxide blotches on the cases.
FWIW, I spoke to Bergara this AM and they are using CIP length magazines in their HMR Pro 300PRC.

I spoke with bergara a couple days ago after I read this and they said their CIP bottom metal is still in R&D. I had bought a long action hmr pro stock as an Interim stock while manners defies the logic of time making my PRS-1. I would love a CIP bottom metal for my bergara stock...great stocks, have 3. Need to sell the long action or have it inlet for my badger m5 with CIP.

Anyone using Gunwerks Verdict Stock. Fully adjustable and weights only 2.6 LBS. I'm wondering if it will take CIP 3.850 magazines anyone?

I had bought a long action hmr pro stock as an Interim stock while manners defies the logic of time making my PRS-1.

What's that?!?! Manners taking a long time to deliver a stock?!?! I'm stunned... they have a horrible reputation for this.

Still, a few weeks ago I got my new 6mm BRA, which has a PRS 2. That stock is going on every new rifle I get from here on out. A key selling point for me is the KMW Loggerhead cheek riser hardware, and the feature that allows the raised part to be offset to one side or the other. I went with Manners specifically because of this as I retrofitted one into my HS Precision stock on my 300 PRC.

Things I don't like - though I knew this from using a Loggerhead on my 300:
- The mechanism for tightening/loosening the riser requires an allen head wrench - it's not a thumb wheel. While this is one less thing to get in the way, it never really got in the way for me on any other rifle. It's also a pain to have to carry a tool to the range to do this.

- The riser uses a clip to keep its height. I don't like this, especially because I guess I've got high cheek bones that require the posts to be set higher than the tallest clip setting will allow. I'm in the process of designing a product to address this.

Those two issues are minor in comparison to the value the cheek riser provides from its offset feature.

Anyway, and applicable to this thread, I'm loving my 6mm BRA configuration so much, that I'm considering getting the exact same done in a new 300 PRC, matching the chamber to my current. Just considering... really, I'm just considering...

Last edited:
What's that?!?! Manners taking a long time to deliver a stock?!?! I'm stunned... they have a horrible reputation for this.

Still, a few weeks ago I got my new 6mm BRA, which has a PRS 2. That stock is going on every new rifle I get from here on out. A key selling point for me is the KMW Loggerhead cheek riser hardware, and the feature that allows the raised part to be offset to one side or the other. I went with Manners specifically because of this as I retrofitted one into my HS Precision stock on my 300 PRC.

Things I don't like - though I knew this from using a Loggerhead on my 300:
- The mechanism for tightening/loosening the riser requires an allen head wrench - it's not a thumb wheel. While this is one less thing to get in the way, it never really got in the way for me on any other rifle. It's also a pain to have to carry a tool to the range to do this.

- The riser uses a clip to keep its height. I don't like this, especially because I guess I've got high cheek bones that require the posts to be set higher than the tallest clip setting will allow. I'm in the process of designing a product to address this.

Those two issues are minor in comparison to the value the cheek riser provides from its offset feature.

Anyway, and applicable to this thread, I'm loving my 6mm BRA configuration so much, that I'm considering getting the exact same done in a new 300 PRC, matching the chamber to my current. Just considering... really, I'm just considering...
KMW make longer posts for this very reason

the thumbwheel is worthless in my opinion. not enough leverage

Anyone using Gunwerks Verdict Stock. Fully adjustable and weights only 2.6 LBS. I'm wondering if it will take CIP 3.850 magazines anyone?

I think you have the weight wrong. It’s 3.9lbs for carbon, and 4.4 for fiberglass. They have a number of bottom inlets, but their own bottom metal is set up for the the longer mags.

Does anyone have load data for the 300 prc using N560 and 225gr eld match bullets looking for a safe starting point for load development

Does anyone have load data for the 300 prc using N560 and 225gr eld match bullets looking for a safe starting point for load development

VV doesn’t have 300 PRC data and Hornady doesn’t have VV data... terribly inconvenient.

As such, take this with a massive grain of salt and a less massive grain of powder:

CartridgeBulletPowderMinMax
300WM220 Scenar-LN56067.073.1
300WM230 Berger HTN56062.269.1
300NOR220 Scenar-LN56066.476.9
300NOR230 Berger HTN56067.175.9

Considering that the PRC case volume slots neatly between the WM and Norma Mag, and the bullet weight slots between the two options as well with a similar shape, I can state with reasonable confidence that the 67.1-69.1gr N560 range is safe, since all 4 of the bounding cases include that range.

I’d be inclined to start at 67.1 and very carefully and deliberately work up to pressure signs.

Reactions: 42N8 1
VV doesn’t have 300 PRC data and Hornady doesn’t have VV data... terribly inconvenient.

As such, take this with a massive grain of salt and a less massive grain of powder:

CartridgeBulletPowderMinMax
300WM220 Scenar-LN56067.073.1
300WM230 Berger HTN56062.269.1
300NOR220 Scenar-LN56066.476.9
300NOR230 Berger HTN56067.175.9

Considering that the PRC case volume slots neatly between the WM and Norma Mag, and the bullet weight slots between the two options as well with a similar shape, I can state with reasonable confidence that the 67.1-69.1gr N560 range is safe, since all 4 of the bounding cases include that range.

I’d be inclined to start at 67.1 and very carefully and deliberately work up to pressure signs.
Ok thank you for your help it’s crazy to that the round has been out for a year and there’s very little data out

Thanks for the info. I saw some pretty inconsistent results with the latest batch of 225 eldm I shot. My original lot I was in the high single digits SDs and average half inch 5 round groups. Some more. Some less.

I was really thinking of a 29-30 inch barrel handloading the 230s hoping to get 3k+ fps. If I couldn't get it there, then it may not be worth it for me. Haven't seen it yet from anyone. I may be just sticking with the 26" and 215s.
Hey what powder are you using and do you have any data with N560 and the 225gr looking to start a load development

Wtf Hornady... I ordered a .334 bushing and just opened it up and it's stamped .335

You have to wonder about their quality control.

• Angry
Reactions: MOUNTIC
What neck bushing did you order. I have inconsistent neck tension on the hornady brass. Curious what size you are going to. I'm also using that 335 bushing currently.

Just an update, the .334 worked well. Shot a bunch of groups today testing seating depth, and all loads combined (same charge weight, different seating depths) had an SD of 10.

Edit: Not super duper by any means, but very consistent across a wide range.

I had a mix of rounds left over so I shot them into one group. .020 to .040 jump.

4E7E3C50-CBE3-474F-9E57-136EA0B93833.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone running a 24" barrel that has stumbled upon an accurate load of 212 Eld-x, 225 Eld-m, 220 Eld-x, 230 A-tip or 250 A- tip? I know my mileage may vary but I'm looking for a better starting point. I would really like to find someone with quickload willing to run numbers to narrow it down, but any help at this point is appreciated. My normal load development procedures just aren't getting me there and I'm halfway convinced it's either the brass or it was the stock I had it in. Either way, something is a miss and hunting season is upon us. No more time to waste.

Oh and has anyone else been seeing bright orange blotches on their hornady brass after first firing? I've also had it on some cases after annealing. Those cases seem to be much tougher to size and mandrel expand too. This brass is just not great and for all of the ammo coming from the same lot...very inconsistent.

I was shooting the Hornady ELD in 243 win last saturday. I did note the inconsistencies with the ammunition as well. Hopefully, its not going to be a long term issue.

Hornady brass has been horrible for as long as I have been reloading. It is the very definition of a long term issue. I can't take the 300 PRC (or 6.5 PRC, or 375 Ruger, or any other Hornady cartridge) seriously until someone else makes brass.

Reactions: LANCER
74.0-74.5 gr of RL-26 at SAAMI COAL with a 225 has done very well in all of the 4-5 300 PRC's I've seen in the wild.
That's great...if you can find Reloder 26. I have been looking since before I had GA precision build my 300 PRC...over a year and a half and I found 1lb a couple weeks ago, now I'm holding onto it lol. I'm afraid to open it at this point until I can find at least 1 more pound.

Define "horrible". It's been more consistent than Remington, on par or better than Winchester, almost the same as Nosler, but softer (I honestly wasn't impressed with Nosler for the price-- only tried it once in .243ai), hands down better than S&B, PPU, LC etc...

Alpha, Lapua, Norma, and a handful of others are more consistent and tougher in the head, but also cost 20-100+% more depending on caliber.

If you sort by lot (I often take this as a given, but maybe I shouldn't assume everyone does it) I've had no problem keeping SD's below 12fps, and if you keep load data within SAAMI specs (Where most people have issues I think) I've never had a problem getting 10+ loads out of a case. Not saying it's perfect-- the heads are softer than many (most?), but if you keep it within SAAMI pressure (max book loads) everything plays much nicer.

So I wanted to add to the conversation here...I just got done with load development with my 300 PRC, I am shooting Warner Flatline 198's at 3123 with no pressure at all. I am using 85 grains of N570 and have an ES of 9...so far it is looking pretty good, group is about a 1/3 MOA which is fine...bullets won't feed, but this is for fun. I will probably develop another load with a jacketed that does. The Hornady brass only showed slight pressure signs at 86 grains, so far it is doing good. The bullets have an OAL of 4.018 and we had to use a 30 Nosler die to seat them because the ELDM seating die for the 300 prc was too short for the Flatline. I will take them out to distance soon and see what kind of results I get, on paper I should be supersonic to about 1800.

Attachments

• 300 PRC.jpg
    300 PRC.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 166
Has anyone used N560
Well guys with n560 I started to see pressure at 73grs with 225gr eld m bullets but here’s a group with a load that I came up with with 72.2 grs the group that has a vertical string was shot at 200 yards

Attachments

• FF0FEFB1-0B52-490A-906A-C7D419EF3E66.jpeg
    FF0FEFB1-0B52-490A-906A-C7D419EF3E66.jpeg
    697.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 769C4E1F-D86E-4AF4-B192-EC20E5F7DC6C.jpeg
    769C4E1F-D86E-4AF4-B192-EC20E5F7DC6C.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 3195AE54-4302-4621-BA8E-D611FF0556B4.jpeg
    3195AE54-4302-4621-BA8E-D611FF0556B4.jpeg
    362.6 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: doctordoctor
So I wanted to add to the conversation here...I just got done with load development with my 300 PRC, I am shooting Warner Flatline 198's at 3123 with no pressure at all. I am using 85 grains of N570 and have an ES of 9...so far it is looking pretty good, group is about a 1/3 MOA which is fine...bullets won't feed, but this is for fun. I will probably develop another load with a jacketed that does. The Hornady brass only showed slight pressure signs at 86 grains, so far it is doing good. The bullets have an OAL of 4.018 and we had to use a 30 Nosler die to seat them because the ELDM seating die for the 300 prc was too short for the Flatline. I will take them out to distance soon and see what kind of results I get, on paper I should be supersonic to about 1800.
What twist rate is your barrel

Suppressor question here.... anyone used one rated for 300 win mag on their 300 PRC?

The SAAMI 300 win mag pressure is listed for 64,000 max, whereas the PRC is 65,000 max.

My suppressor is a SIG SRD762 QD.... their website says its rated up to 64,000 psi/300 win mag, or anything of same case size and pressure. So I guess I'm not sure whether to chance it or not.

Thanks

Yeah I use my SRT Arms .30 XL Ti can on my 300 prc all the time. The 1000psi at the chamber won't equate to much by the time the bullet gets to the muzzle. You can fairly typically see 2000-5000 psi changes from shot to shot with factory ammo. Most of them are rated for a certain cartridge at a certain barrel length (10.5, 12.5, 14.5, 16" are common minimum lengths). By the time a bullet gets down 24-30" of barrel the pressure has dropped off considerably.. Like 10,000-20,000psi.

At any rate, I'd consider the 300wm and 300 PRC pretty much equivalent for that application.

Dear Diary,

Today my MDT ACC chassis arrived. After viewing it with a lusty eye, I put the buttstock and the adjustable grip on and decided to gently insert the Defiant Deviant Tactical/flutted 28" Bartlein 1-9/APA lil'B with a Trigger Tech Diamond into the inviting welcoming channel. Snugging up the action screws was quick but hot and satisfyingly naughty.

She was born in the pristine halls of Southern Precision Rifles. This 300PRC is sexy...but still missing the Atlas Bipod, and the Spuhr 9mil 34mm mount that will hold the Vortex Razor GenII 4.5-27 EBR-7C MRAD that is just waiting to hop on top of all that goodness.

I can't wait to run that sweet as butter bolt and lightly tickle the wanton trigger. Alas...this girl is heavy...but I don't care. Heavy guns need love too.

Wednesday may be the day I let her scream across the Kentucky fields and slam hot lead into singing steel.

Pics...as soon as my phone stops being a butt and takes a pic that doesn't look 1990's bad lighting and drunk behind the lens.

Shot 20 rounds today of Hornady Match with the 225 ELD-M. I'm in awe and in love at the same time. There were 4 of us at the local range today. My first shot after bore sighting was a little high at 50 yards and the next was dead on. However, it was funny because it blew my buddies hat off his head with the lil'B muzzle brake...he was sitting slightly behind and 5 feet to the left. The lil'B was like fire and furry....like a woman scorned. All thump and noise...but they looked at me and wondered why my face was smiling from ear to friggin ear.

Simple, the recoil on this 28" Bartlein heavy varmint, 1-9, spiral fluted, blended lil'B brake....with a Deviant Tact....all nicely tucked into a MDT ACC chassis that I sat on my living room floor and adjusted everything to my liking.....well...it kicked like a 5.56 AR. ALL that noise and it kicked like a little girl. I could sit behind this thing all day. The MDT ACC set to my liking...to my body...had a straight recoil with no muzzle jump....I could see the target from before, trigger pull, recoil, and through the entire bolt cycle.

Yea...I think I can live with that. I was only able to shoot out to 242 yards today. Basically I was breaking in the barrel today. It is going to shoot lights out. I borrowed a chrono for a few shots and it was 2907, 2900, 2984, 2909 and 2984. Tonight, I'm processing my brass, reloading and I'll go tomorrow with some 230gr A-Tips with Retumbo...yea...nobody has RL-26 right now. I will do a little load development and see what the speeds are on the Retumbo.

Shot 20 rounds today of Hornady Match with the 225 ELD-M. I'm in awe and in love at the same time. There were 4 of us at the local range today. My first shot after bore sighting was a little high at 50 yards and the next was dead on. However, it was funny because it blew my buddies hat off his head with the lil'B muzzle brake...he was sitting slightly behind and 5 feet to the left. The lil'B was like fire and furry....like a woman scorned. All thump and noise...but they looked at me and wondered why my face was smiling from ear to friggin ear.

Simple, the recoil on this 28" Bartlein heavy varmint, 1-9, spiral fluted, blended lil'B brake....with a Deviant Tact....all nicely tucked into a MDT ACC chassis that I sat on my living room floor and adjusted everything to my liking.....well...it kicked like a 5.56 AR. ALL that noise and it kicked like a little girl. I could sit behind this thing all day. The MDT ACC set to my liking...to my body...had a straight recoil with no muzzle jump....I could see the target from before, trigger pull, recoil, and through the entire bolt cycle.

Yea...I think I can live with that. I was only able to shoot out to 242 yards today. Basically I was breaking in the barrel today. It is going to shoot lights out. I borrowed a chrono for a few shots and it was 2907, 2900, 2984, 2909 and 2984. Tonight, I'm processing my brass, reloading and I'll go tomorrow with some 230gr A-Tips with Retumbo...yea...nobody has RL-26 right now. I will do a little load development and see what the speeds are on the Retumbo.

I'm working up a load with the 230 gAy Tips with H1000.. 74.5-74.8gr. Let us know about Retumbo

Reactions: LakuNoc and b2lee
8 lb Keg of H1000 and 1000 BR-2 primers arrived just now. I'm thinking I may need to buy at least 1 more box of 225 ELD-m ammo and give them another try. My rifle wouldn't group 2 moa initially, but I got my bergara stock inlet for the badger bottom metal. Then I went and redid my h1000 load development and bam, sub 1/2 MOA, reshot the sub 1/2 load on 2 more occasions to verify and it looks solid. I'm thinking the original stock I was running was my inaccuracy issue and I may get similar results with box ammo. I have culled about 20 cases from the original 200 anyway so it couldn't hurt to bring the number back up.

Reminds me of a time I was set up prone and a guy maybe 10’ to my left set up. Me 300 win mag him 338 Lapua mag, both with 5 port brakes. Some guy with a 556 AR decides he’s going to set up in between us and shoot prone. He was covered in dirt after that session

And on that day Culpepper developed his hate for brakes.

Simple, the recoil on this 28" Bartlein heavy varmint, 1-9, spiral fluted, blended lil'B brake....with a Deviant Tact....all nicely tucked into a MDT ACC chassis that I sat on my living room floor and adjusted everything to my liking.....well...it kicked like a 5.56 AR. ALL that noise and it kicked like a little girl.
[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean, I have a precision armament m4-72 brake on a 24" proof carbon sendero and my magneto speed has my 212 eldx loads clocked at 2927-2939 fps. Barks and throws crap everywhere like a confetti cannon eruption but kicks like my 260 with a 26" Krieger m24 contour and DE brake. Not sure how this brake as gives as much reduction as it does but I can literally fire 120 rds in a session without feeling worn out or physically battered. Brake off....I did 80 and I was a hurting unit.

Out of curiosity, why did you go with the lil b brake and not the Fat b?

So, I got 20 rounds loaded with 230gr A Tips and Retumbo....1 at 68.3gr...1 at 70gr....1 at 71.5gr...1 at 73gr...5 at 75gr....5 at 78gr....5 at 78.5gr...and 1 at a charge I won't publish.

Probably will have troubles falling asleep tonight.

Out of curiosity, why did you go with the lil b brake and not the Fat b?

hmmm...good question....most probably because it is a case of go with what you know and have used already.....or I like the target crown look of the lil'b versus the butt plug look of the Fat B. I don't think I put much thought into a choice between them....I was thinking 419...but I went with what I already knew on that choice.

Also, Greg at SPR blended the lil'B to the barrel and it looks like one piece:

9puC3qs.png

Ok...load development update...with a SERIOUS caveat. First, since I'm now poor after this purchase I don't actually have a scope that is valid for this setup....so....after the first monkey spank group I heard a metal on metal clanking and I broke the borrowed scope. So the other 2 5shot groups opened way up and you can't invalidate them as accurate...because the scope went to crap.

Details:

Cartridge: 300 PRC
Bullet: Hornady 230gr A-Tip
Brass: Hornady once fired....shot yesterday
Primer: Federal Gold Match Large
Powder: Hodgden Retumbo
Barrel: 28" Bartlein 1-9 Twist with a Lil'B brake, Heavy Varmint, spiral flute.
Action: Defiance Deviant Tactical, Fluted, 6mil rail
Trigger: TriggerTech Diamond - set to 6 ounces
Scope: (laugh) Vortex Crossfire (/stop laughing)

Distance: 100 yards
Temp: 80F
Wind: 10mph from 10o'clock - Steady
Mirage: Negligible
Elevation: 910ft
Shot angle: Even ground...very flat
Shooting position: Very steady benchtable with solid seat, front rest and rear small bag.

Reference following loads with pic of target below

Ammo:

1. Factory 225gr ELD-M - reference load

-----Start of 230gr A-Tips with Retumbo-----
2. 68.5gr - shot way low, audibly softer, recoil softer, felt like a wimp load

3. 70.0gr - came up near the factory load with similar audible and recoil.
4. 71.5gr - basically same damn hole. Audible and recoil weren't discernible from #3
5. 73.0gr - basically same dman hole. Audible and recoil weren't discernible from #3 or #4

These three different powder loads shot a 3 shot group under a 1/4MOA...to me..that is a nice node

Reloaded in blocks of 5 for the next groups

6-10. 75.0gr Group - Shift the windage to pull the group left of the other group. Measued .473 with a dial mic. Target is .018 thick cardboard and flaked around the holes...hard to measure. For a gun with less than 30 rounds to this point....this group made me think naughty thoughts.

11-15. 78.0gr group - Again, shifted windage to pull the group away from the previous.
First shot I heard a metal on metal clang...didn't know what it was.
Second shot went way low and then the adjuster ring for the parallax slid down the tube toward the elevation knob.
Third shot I noticed an artifact in the lens.
Fourth Shot I noticed something like extra scope shadow in the bottom left.
Fifth shot didn't seem to get any worse

This group can't be covered by a Quarter...It isn't the loads fault...I'll be able to buy the Razor GenII in a few weeks and revist this load again.

16-20. 78.5gr Group - Same issues with the previous group and about the same results. I shifted everything left again to pull the group out of the path of the other group. I'll revist this load when I get the new scope.

21. 80.0gr - OVER SPECS - Shift windage back to original wind zero and it shot high. Audible and recoil were very noticeable but brass appeared fine. When I de-prime I'll take notice of any primer pocket issues...and when I reprime, I'll see if it is loose or is noticeably easier to insert.

QLoohmZ.jpg

Continuing on from the above post. You'll most likely be asking about speeds.

1. Retail Hornady 225-ELD-M - 2909

Retumbo and 230gr A-Tips

2. 68.5gr - 2701

3. 70.0gr - 2817
4. 71.5gr - 2825
5. 73.0gr - 2849

6. 75.0gr - averaged 2884

7. 78.0gr - averaged 2925

8. 78.5gr - averaged 2947

9. 80.gr - said 3041...but only shot one.

As always....every chrono will measure differently...on different days....in different conditions....so take those speeds with a grain of salt I guess. Next week should be some H1000 load development with hopefully a new scope.

And...does anyone know where the hell I can get some RL-26?

Last edited:
For anyone who is interested, I've redone my fire forming videos and reposted them on YouTube - I lengthened them, and added a disclaimer up front (lawyers... my wife is one). By slowing them down and adding some new commentary, I think they are easier to follow and better depict how easy fire forming 8x68S brass is for the 300 PRC.