• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

What bushing are most people using for ADG and Hornady brass?
IMO you are going to need at least two bushings if you plan to use both Hornady and ADG, the wall thickness between the two is different. Bullet choose might also influence the size as well as just how much or little tension you want. I ended up buying .333 through .337

I just plopped down the deposit for a new 300 PRC build and have been enjoying the wealth of knowledge that all of you have shared. Thank you.

But for dies, are the Whidden dies not so good? Should I be getting the Wilson on-line seaters instead?

I've only ever used Redding and Forster so I'm not sure what's the best route to go.
Forster now has 300 PRC dies.

Wilson bushing die is very nice as well.

Got this in today, finally. Changed my mind at the last minute and went 24” spiral fluted barrel and shank. Hopefully get some initial data in the next few weeks. I have some 215 Hybrid and 225 ELD loaded up with a min charge of IMR 7977. Velocities will probably be low but just breaking in the barrel and fire forming the ADG brass for now. Gave up on R26 just going to stick with H1000 and find a safe node that’s quick enough 2800+.

F7AC03E2-C8CF-4389-B654-13EFF9AF5A19.jpeg

Reactions: b2lee and BCX
Got back from the range - first day out with my new 300 PRC. The only downers that need addressing are:

1) Because I've got high cheek bones, I have to set cheek risers pretty high. This precludes the bolt from coming back all the way, which then interferes with loading the next round. I think I'll just have to get the cheek riser shortened.

2) I finally got around to getting my Tactacam working - only it only sort of worked. Way out of focus for some reason.

Video:

More short barrel results:

Was able to get 2850 FPS with the 245gr eol Berger out of my 20”.
What are your secrets, shooting 215 Bergers/ADG/RL26 out of a 22.5" barrel last time out I was getting velocity similar to yours but primers were flattened. I had backed the charge down because of the higher temperatures but apparently not enough. Not sure I like RL26 for summer time shooting.

I'm shooting 215s, Hornady brass, CCI 200s, Reloader 26 in a 28" barrel @ 3015. 8th firing and the pockets are just now starting to get loose. I'm ok with that!

Reactions: Earnhardt
Full Data Set from 15 round ladder test:

Ambient temp was ~93 F
Altitude ~ a few hundred above sea level
All Velocity data taken with Labradar

Standard 300 PRC Chamber
20" Proof CF Barrel
All rounds fired with SiCo Hybrid 46

Berger 245 EOL
Alliant Reloder 50
Federal 215s
New Hornady Brass

Charge Weight Velocity Charge Weight Velocity

Note: 91.7 gr was book max
Note: Pressure sign at 91.4, heavy lift and extractor marks.

Looks to be a node maybe around 88.5 -90 and 91.7 - 92. Not sure if the pressure at 91.4 was an anomaly as I had no pressure signs on the next 3 rounds.

Last edited:
ahh well then i'd say that's decent speed then

i assumed 26-28" which would be a little slow

have you tried N570 in that 20"?

I have not tried N570 yet only RL 50. I have a few lbs of RL 26 but Berger did not recommend it for the 245.

Going to the local short range tomorrow with the MagnetoSpeedV3 and remeasuring some of my loads. 850 rounds on the barrel...looking for any kind of reduction in muzzle velocities of known loads in like conditions. I'll also be testing some group sizes and MV and SD in some turned necks...and a few with shorter COAL due to me wanting to feed out of the magazine with 230 A-Tips....been shooting bench rest lately and have been loading them long. I have some other types of tournaments coming up in Sept - Nov and I want to make sure with the barrel life...that I can seat at my old magazine length and still have great accuracy and close spreads on the muzzle velocities.

In short...I'll be at the range enjoying myself with the 300PRC instead of at work...where I was ALL FRIGGIN WEEKEND!

Reactions: phlegethon
We stretched our 300 PRC out to 1.5 miles today. The wind was typically unpredictable, running from calm to peaks of ~15 knots. My son and I both got hits.
78.1 grains of N565 with 230 A-Tips were running right at 3000 fps at 80F in virgin ADG brass. Temps ranged from 60F at sunrise to 90 when we finished. Across that 30 degree swing, composite SD was ~9 fps. Within time windows where temps didn't vary more than 1 or 2 F, SDs ran ~5fps. JBM calculated a velocity of 1126 fps at the target.

I run my ADG brass and 230 A-Tips at 78.0 grains of N565.... You are hot rodding them ;)

What is your COAL? I've been seating them long lately...but going down to some magazine length rounds tomorrow. Also, I'm just running FGMM 210's for Primers...no Magnums.

• Haha
Reactions: TripleBull
I'll check COAL and get back to you. I've been running a BTO of 2.888. IIRC, factory ELDM 225s had a BTO of 2.887. I've been lazy and have not measured jump yet.

Anyone running the Berger 215 and 220? Looking to run those 2 bullets around 3.725 OAL in a upcoming build. Anyone running a similar setup? Looking for bullet jump in a Saami spec throat.

Anyone running the Berger 215 and 220? Looking to run those 2 bullets around 3.725 OAL in a upcoming build. Anyone running a similar setup? Looking for bullet jump in a Saami spec throat.
Touching the lands, by the Mark Gordon method with the barrel off, in a SAAMI chamber, I have:

Berger 230 Hybrid: OAL 3.710, BTO* 2.920
Berger 220 LRHT: OAL 3.742, BTO 2.938
Hornady 250 A-tip: OAL 3.830, BTO 2.959 (to put this in perspective, even with the micrometer top all the way off I still couldn’t lower the seating die all the way on this monster. The 230 looks to be about the same but I didn’t feel like messing with it anymore.)

*Hornady comparator

edit: also, even at that length the bearing surface of the 250 extends below the neck/shoulder junction!

Last edited:
A question for you guys...when you go to the range and you find live rounds on the ground...what do you do with them? I was tweaking a load today at the range an it got boring cause I was on the 200yd and less range.....so I made it interesting...I put the found rounds on top of the 2x4 holding the target backers at 100 yards and made myself giggle...in all I shot maybe 20 pieces...but below are the only ones I could find after the fact....none of the 9mm or other pistol rounds could be found....but two 5.56 and one 308 were found.

brass_targets.png

Perfect thank you that’s exactly what I needed

Been getting a little low on supplies for the 300PRC with this hording people are doing. Went by SPortsman's Warehouse today in N.KY and bought 3 boxes of Hornady 230gr A-Tips and 3 boxes of 1000 FGMM 215M Magnum primers. The 1000 count boxes of the Magnum primers surprised me at a shelf price of $29.99.

Now...where do I find some powder!!!! I'm under 5 lbs of VV N565, 2lbs of Retumbo...and I got ZERO RL-26 now.

Been getting a little low on supplies for the 300PRC with this hording people are doing. Went by SPortsman's Warehouse today in N.KY and bought 3 boxes of Hornady 230gr A-Tips and 3 boxes of 1000 FGMM 215M Magnum primers. The 1000 count boxes of the Magnum primers surprised me at a shelf price of $29.99.

Now...where do I find some powder!!!! I'm under 5 lbs of VV N565, 2lbs of Retumbo...and I got ZERO RL-26 now.
Yea
Sportsman’s had a great price on primers latest

Clc had R26 about two weeks ago and powder valley had it for about 2 hours last week.

I stocked up accordingly
:)

I have enough powder to outlast my barrel....and enough to last through this competition season...even with the ELR stuff coming up later in Sept-Oct....

I do have someone that says they can get me some RL-26...but I prefer the N565....I think it is close enough to the RL-26....and I think the anti-copper results I'm seeing...is worth the premium of the price.

I just started using N570. Cleaned all the carbon out than used a bore scope. 0 copper,,,, didn't even bother w a copper cleaner. I agree w the extra cost is with the price.

Reactions: b2lee
I fired my 300 PRC yesterday! Sadly, I can’t report much else because I also discovered the scope rail is still loose. But it felt good.

What dies are people using? The Whidden seating die seems a little short—I have to back it way off the bottom of the press to seat the heavy Bergers or A-tips.

I fired my 300 PRC yesterday! Sadly, I can’t report much else because I also discovered the scope rail is still loose. But it felt good.

What dies are people using? The Whidden seating die seems a little short—I have to back it way off the bottom of the press to seat the heavy Bergers or A-tips.

I am using a whidden and didn't have that problem.Did you turn the mic all the way out?

LE Wilson Arbor Press dies.....The seater supports the entire piece of brass....everywhere....it is stupid nice. I really like feeling what my neck tension is like...so I use the K&M Arbor Press.

you still looking for N565?

you still looking for N565?

I'm always looking... looks like @b6graham can hook me up. Thanks man....both of you...for looking out for us.

So...I had a silly thought....I'm one of the few people I know that is actually competing this year. Most places have canceled their events or atleast postponed them to much later.

SO...my silly question is...how many people are doing so much 'load development' with their big boy rifles.....that by the time the next shooting season or late season events start....they've shot out their barrels and need a new one? I've known people like that for decades....they spend so much time finding that perfect load...that by the time they are 'Ready'....the barrel gives out and they start all over again...heh.

I'm always looking... looks like @b6graham can hook me up. Thanks man....both of you...for looking out for us.

So...I had a silly thought....I'm one of the few people I know that is actually competing this year. Most places have canceled their events or atleast postponed them to much later.

SO...my silly question is...how many people are doing so much 'load development' with their big boy rifles.....that by the time the next shooting season or late season events start....they've shot out their barrels and need a new one? I've known people like that for decades....they spend so much time finding that perfect load...that by the time they are 'Ready'....the barrel gives out and they start all over again...heh.
I basically dedicated my first 7 saum barrel to learning a new to me cartridge and sorting out bullet and powder combinations.

I was able to take that data directly to my new barrel and do basically no load development for it.

Run 100 mild loads in it to get it up to speed then start hammering.

Reactions: Tokay444
LE Wilson Arbor Press dies.....The seater supports the entire piece of brass....everywhere....it is stupid nice. I really like feeling what my neck tension is like...so I use the K&M Arbor Press.

Said it before - I have the same, and now that I know you can get blanks and have your smith ream out a die, I'll never use anything else.

Anyone burn out a barrel yet?

Still predicting barrel life in the 1200-1500 for a top end book load?

Reactions: Earnhardt
I'm at 884....should shoot another 100 or so this weekend...and then maybe 200 in another 2 weeks. I'll let you know if my groups open up at 1000yds and 1 mile.

Anyone burn out a barrel yet?

Still predicting barrel life in the 1200-1500 for a top end book load?

My first barrel opened up at about 1200 rounds. Not horrible, still sub-MOA for the most part, but not what I wanted for 1200yd+. Haven't been out as much with the new barrel this summer.

My first barrel opened up at about 1200 rounds. Not horrible, still sub-MOA for the most part, but not what I wanted for 1200yd+. Haven't been out as much with the new barrel this summer.

Was that a Bartlein SS 1-9 twist? I'm interested on the next barrel I get in the 400MOD SS material.