300 PRC update

b2lee

Stealthy
Belligerents
Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    A question for you guys...when you go to the range and you find live rounds on the ground...what do you do with them? I was tweaking a load today at the range an it got boring cause I was on the 200yd and less range.....so I made it interesting...I put the found rounds on top of the 2x4 holding the target backers at 100 yards and made myself giggle...in all I shot maybe 20 pieces...but below are the only ones I could find after the fact....none of the 9mm or other pistol rounds could be found....but two 5.56 and one 308 were found.

brass_targets.png

BCX

Major Hide Member
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Mar 18, 2018
    Perfect thank you that’s exactly what I needed

b2lee

Stealthy
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    Been getting a little low on supplies for the 300PRC with this hording people are doing. Went by SPortsman's Warehouse today in N.KY and bought 3 boxes of Hornady 230gr A-Tips and 3 boxes of 1000 FGMM 215M Magnum primers. The 1000 count boxes of the Magnum primers surprised me at a shelf price of $29.99.

Now...where do I find some powder!!!! I'm under 5 lbs of VV N565, 2lbs of Retumbo...and I got ZERO RL-26 now.

Steel head

Feral kitten-Black cat’s matter!
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Aug 3, 2014
    Washington
    Been getting a little low on supplies for the 300PRC with this hording people are doing. Went by SPortsman's Warehouse today in N.KY and bought 3 boxes of Hornady 230gr A-Tips and 3 boxes of 1000 FGMM 215M Magnum primers. The 1000 count boxes of the Magnum primers surprised me at a shelf price of $29.99.

Now...where do I find some powder!!!! I'm under 5 lbs of VV N565, 2lbs of Retumbo...and I got ZERO RL-26 now.
    Yea
    Sportsman’s had a great price on primers latest

Clc had R26 about two weeks ago and powder valley had it for about 2 hours last week.

I stocked up accordingly
    :)

b2lee

Stealthy
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    I have enough powder to outlast my barrel....and enough to last through this competition season...even with the ELR stuff coming up later in Sept-Oct....

I do have someone that says they can get me some RL-26...but I prefer the N565....I think it is close enough to the RL-26....and I think the anti-copper results I'm seeing...is worth the premium of the price.

BCX

Major Hide Member
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Mar 18, 2018
    I just started using N570. Cleaned all the carbon out than used a bore scope. 0 copper,,,, didn't even bother w a copper cleaner. I agree w the extra cost is with the price.

Reactions: b2lee

phlegethon

Major Hide Member
    Hessian
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Online Training Access
  • Nov 4, 2018
    I fired my 300 PRC yesterday! Sadly, I can’t report much else because I also discovered the scope rail is still loose. But it felt good.

What dies are people using? The Whidden seating die seems a little short—I have to back it way off the bottom of the press to seat the heavy Bergers or A-tips.

Mk32784

Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Aug 1, 2017
    I fired my 300 PRC yesterday! Sadly, I can’t report much else because I also discovered the scope rail is still loose. But it felt good.

What dies are people using? The Whidden seating die seems a little short—I have to back it way off the bottom of the press to seat the heavy Bergers or A-tips.
    I am using a whidden and didn't have that problem.Did you turn the mic all the way out?

phlegethon

Major Hide Member
    Hessian
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Online Training Access
  • Nov 4, 2018
    Me either, also back the stem out
    The stem is adjustable? I backed out the micrometer until it fell off, still too short unless I have only a few threads below the lock ring.

b2lee

Stealthy
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY

LE Wilson Arbor Press dies.....The seater supports the entire piece of brass....everywhere....it is stupid nice. I really like feeling what my neck tension is like...so I use the K&M Arbor Press.

Steel head

Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Aug 3, 2014
    Washington

you still looking for N565?

b2lee

Stealthy
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    you still looking for N565?
    I'm always looking... looks like @b6graham can hook me up. Thanks man....both of you...for looking out for us.

So...I had a silly thought....I'm one of the few people I know that is actually competing this year. Most places have canceled their events or atleast postponed them to much later.

SO...my silly question is...how many people are doing so much 'load development' with their big boy rifles.....that by the time the next shooting season or late season events start....they've shot out their barrels and need a new one? I've known people like that for decades....they spend so much time finding that perfect load...that by the time they are 'Ready'....the barrel gives out and they start all over again...heh.

Reactions: wildcats

Steel head

Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Aug 3, 2014
    Washington
    I'm always looking... looks like @b6graham can hook me up. Thanks man....both of you...for looking out for us.

So...I had a silly thought....I'm one of the few people I know that is actually competing this year. Most places have canceled their events or atleast postponed them to much later.

SO...my silly question is...how many people are doing so much 'load development' with their big boy rifles.....that by the time the next shooting season or late season events start....they've shot out their barrels and need a new one? I've known people like that for decades....they spend so much time finding that perfect load...that by the time they are 'Ready'....the barrel gives out and they start all over again...heh.
    I basically dedicated my first 7 saum barrel to learning a new to me cartridge and sorting out bullet and powder combinations.

I was able to take that data directly to my new barrel and do basically no load development for it.

Run 100 mild loads in it to get it up to speed then start hammering.

Reactions: Tokay444

Rocketmandb

Gunny Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Nov 2, 2018
    LE Wilson Arbor Press dies.....The seater supports the entire piece of brass....everywhere....it is stupid nice. I really like feeling what my neck tension is like...so I use the K&M Arbor Press.
    Said it before - I have the same, and now that I know you can get blanks and have your smith ream out a die, I'll never use anything else.

b2lee

Stealthy
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    I'm at 884....should shoot another 100 or so this weekend...and then maybe 200 in another 2 weeks. I'll let you know if my groups open up at 1000yds and 1 mile.

Ledzep

Chancellor
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Jun 9, 2009
    NE
    Anyone burn out a barrel yet?

Still predicting barrel life in the 1200-1500 for a top end book load?
    My first barrel opened up at about 1200 rounds. Not horrible, still sub-MOA for the most part, but not what I wanted for 1200yd+. Haven't been out as much with the new barrel this summer.

b2lee

Stealthy
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    My first barrel opened up at about 1200 rounds. Not horrible, still sub-MOA for the most part, but not what I wanted for 1200yd+. Haven't been out as much with the new barrel this summer.
    Was that a Bartlein SS 1-9 twist? I'm interested on the next barrel I get in the 400MOD SS material.

Whiskeydog

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 11, 2019
    Question for you all on H1000 loads behind a Berger 215 Hybrid Target.

I recently had a 300 PRC built (Borden Action, Lilja 25” Barrel 1:9 twist. Using ADG brass.)

I called Berger for recommended min/max load data. They said for the 215 min is 80.0 and max is 84.1 gr H1000.

To me, this seems very high. Their min is above the max published by Hornady for both the 212 and 220 gr bullets. I’ve read through most of the 68 pages of posts here...thanks for all the info!! And seems like most of you using H1000 with Berger 215 are ending up in that 78-79gr range. I don’t know that I’ve seen a single post here trying anything above 81gr.

any input is greatly appreciated!!!

TripleBull

This one goes to 11
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Feb 13, 2017
    Sunny Colorado
    $299.99 for 8lbs
    13.55 shipping
    11.99 hazmat
    19.53 Tax

So... $346.00 with a 94 cents round up.....bleh....no thanks
    I just bought an 8 lb jug of 565 from Grafs (thanks for tip Steel Head!) for $330.42 delivered. We now have 14 pounds of N565 and should be ready to get through the rest of the year. Now I need to make good use of this boner.

• Haha
    Reactions: Steel head

P-Funk

Private
    Minuteman
    Aug 14, 2020
    I’ve been lurking here for awhile. Tons of good info in this thread. I’ve been paying particular attention to the hand loads. Hopefully I can get some range time to see what my new rifle can do. Bergara Wilderness transplanted into a MTD ESS chassis. Milled out the base section to still run the 3.850 mags. Vortex Viper pst gen 2 5-25. Atlas bipod. It’s been fun putting together, now for some range time!

Attachments

Reactions: TripleBull

abn31c

Gunny Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Apr 10, 2018

I recently had a 300 PRC built (Borden Action, Lilja 25” Barrel 1:9 twist. Using ADG brass.)

I called Berger for recommended min/max load data. They said for the 215 min is 80.0 and max is 84.1 gr H1000.

To me, this seems very high. Their min is above the max published by Hornady for both the 212 and 220 gr bullets. I’ve read through most of the 68 pages of posts here...thanks for all the info!! And seems like most of you using H1000 with Berger 215 are ending up in that 78-79gr range. I don’t know that I’ve seen a single post here trying anything above 81gr.

I loaded about 79.0 h1000 and 215 hybrids, made about 2980 fps.
    Hornady brass tho... was very accurate for me, shot 900 of em 😀

Reactions: Whiskeydog

phlegethon

Major Hide Member
    Hessian
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Online Training Access
  • Nov 4, 2018

GRC agrees with you, but QuickLoad finds lower pressures and I think that is where Berger load data is coming from. I wouldn't push it.

Whiskeydog

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 11, 2019
    GRC agrees with you, but QuickLoad finds lower pressures and I think that is where Berger load data is coming from. I wouldn't push it.
    Thank you! I will be starting lower than Berger’s min for sure. They did say that it was from Quickload and that they haven’t actually pressure tested any of that data.

Rocketmandb

Gunny Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Nov 2, 2018
    Not to mention it's ADG brass vs. Hornady. 80-84 gr is more like Retumbo ranges than H1000. The Hornady load data for 212s give a range 70.1 to 78.1 gr of H1000. The smaller case volume of the ADG brass would take this even lower. I would start on the lower end of that range and work up.

phlegethon

Major Hide Member
    Hessian
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Online Training Access
  • Nov 4, 2018
    Not to mention it's ADG brass vs. Hornady. 80-84 gr is more like Retumbo ranges than H1000. The Hornady load data for 212s give a range 70.1 to 78.1 gr of H1000. The smaller case volume of the ADG brass would take this even lower. I would start on the lower end of that range and work up.
    That’s a good point. I haven’t done anything with the case volume in quickload or GRC yet. Only fifteen rounds through this guy now.

b6graham

MMPRL
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Jul 29, 2014
    I fireformed 30SM with 77.5gr H1000 behind a 215 hybrid. Based on downrange shot marker velocity I was around 2950. On a fresh barrel

drummachinejoe

Private
    Minuteman
    May 19, 2019
    Anyone reloading 300 PRC on a Dillon 550? Trying to determine what shell plate conversion I’ll need. Would it be:
    #B Shellplate - # 13347
    #6 Locator Button - # 15755
    since the parent case is the .375 Ruger?

DellaDog

Gunny Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Feb 23, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    Anyone reloading 300 PRC on a Dillon 550? Trying to determine what shell plate conversion I’ll need. Would it be:
    #B Shellplate - # 13347
    #6 Locator Button - # 15755
    since the parent case is the .375 Ruger?
    I’m using the 300WM kit. With 230 Hybrids & Whidden dies I have to leave the pin out of the seating station and remove the round after seating. The round is too long, the tip remains in the die once seated.

b2lee

Stealthy
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    A little late in the game for testing....but I have a 1 mile and 1000yd tactical comp next weekend. My current loads were giving me too much vertical stringing. Some of that was self induced with fundamentals and I'm working on that. However, I did some quick load development mainly based on neck tension, OAL, and gasp....full length resizing.

First....I'll apologize and say Eric Cortina is not full of shit. At the end of the day my full length sized brass....prepped my way...with 2 thou shoulder bump back....shot much better than my current load or other loads I tested that were neck sized only....both in group and SD measured by MagnetoSpeedV3.

New total round count for barrel is 1034. Powder is Vihtavouri N565. Bullet is Hornady A-Tips 230 grain. OAL is now 3.850. Full length resized with a 2 thou shoulder bump. 2 thou of neck tension and bullets seated with LE Wilson arbor press dies and K&M Arbor Press. All brass freshly annealed. Primer was FGMM 215M's.

Best 5 shot group

Max speed of group was 2952
    Min speed of group was 2939
    AVG speed of group was 2946
    Standard Deviation of 5.7fps

I'll take that on a barrel that has 1000+ rounds of magnum through it.

These shot the best group of the day at 100yds with a size of 0.34".

I had some groups that were 1.1" and you couldn't really call any of them 'the flyer'...like a shotgun pattern.

Most batches had a SD around 7.5fps...and most shot 0.60" or about.

One batch had a SD over 12fps....that was the one that shot the 1.1" group.

After next weeks event....time to rebarrel I guess...but I may be forced to use it a bit longer due to both finances and wait time on work to be done.

Reactions: b6graham

Mk32784

Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Aug 1, 2017
    A little late in the game for testing....but I have a 1 mile and 1000yd tactical comp next weekend. My current loads were giving me too much vertical stringing. Some of that was self induced with fundamentals and I'm working on that. However, I did some quick load development mainly based on neck tension, OAL, and gasp....full length resizing.

First....I'll apologize and say Eric Cortina is not full of shit. At the end of the day my full length sized brass....prepped my way...with 2 thou shoulder bump back....shot much better than my current load or other loads I tested that were neck sized only....both in group and SD measured by MagnetoSpeedV3.

New total round count for barrel is 1034. Powder is Vihtavouri N565. Bullet is Hornady A-Tips 230 grain. OAL is now 3.850. Full length resized with a 2 thou shoulder bump. 2 thou of neck tension and bullets seated with LE Wilson arbor press dies and K&M Arbor Press. All brass freshly annealed. Primer was FGMM 215M's.

Best 5 shot group

Max speed of group was 2952
    Min speed of group was 2939
    AVG speed of group was 2946
    Standard Deviation of 5.7fps

I'll take that on a barrel that has 1000+ rounds of magnum through it.

These shot the best group of the day at 100yds with a size of 0.34".

I had some groups that were 1.1" and you couldn't really call any of them 'the flyer'...like a shotgun pattern.

Most batches had a SD around 7.5fps...and most shot 0.60" or about.

One batch had a SD over 12fps....that was the one that shot the 1.1" group.

After next weeks event....time to rebarrel I guess...but I may be forced to use it a bit longer due to both finances and wait time on work to be done.
    I am doing a lot of what he is saying to do and find that Eric's advise is usually on point. With the seating depth, and the sizing and etc. Happy he's putting out the content, the guy obviously know's what he is doing.

Hm good to know you seem to be getting flyers at 1000 rounds.I am at 600 rounds. So I will probably run another 300 rounds of practice. And then rebarrel for the next years NF ELR Match.

Mk32784

Private
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Aug 1, 2017
    @Mk32784 Next year?....we still got tons of stuff to do THIS year :) I'm still looking forward to going to 2700yards next month.... I think I can do 3000 holding over in the reticle....we'll see.

I'm sure @Steel head will talk me into getting a Charlie Tarac by then.
    Gotta have a goal. Plenty of practice and shooting to do before then.

I hit 2700 with mine using the recital to hold over. Looking at getting the NF Prism for more ELR funs.

Reactions: b6graham and b2lee