• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC update

I used to range almost everything with the reticle.
When I started shooting past 1200Ish yard I found I started to get inaccurate yardages and by a mile it was really bad.
Just not enough resolution with the scope and reticle to see a difference between 1700 and 1800
Same results here. If my lrf won’t range it I use my gps. Gets me a lot closer than reticle read! Jme

great tips, I never would have guessed that a .02 mil difference would take that much effect. Great real world example.
I still use foamies and can barely hear the gong at 1250 but I could see how e-muffs could help with that.

To any one...
With a SAAMI chamber, and "average bullet jump"
What is your COAL with 215 Bergers?
What is your COAL with 245 Bergers?

Also, anyone built/shot a 338 PRC?
or a 375 PRC (375 Ruger I believe)?
COAL, with those rounds/bullets?

Thanks

I'm running 30 Sherman Magnum head stamped ADG brass. So far I am happy with it. 4th firing and primer pockets are still tight. I'm running 225gr ELDM'S with 77.8gr RL26 at 3020fps. Im able to repeatedly achieve low teen ES and low SD'S. Ran up over 3100fps with no problem. I am happy with ADG brass so far. I can't compare the ADG to Lapua brass. I've ran hornady brass mainly. I've got a box of Lapua brass and plan on getting more but won't be using it until I switch barrels.

I'm running 30 Sherman Magnum head stamped ADG brass. So far I am happy with it. 4th firing and primer pockets are still tight. I'm running 225gr ELDM'S with 77.8gr RL26 at 3020fps. Im able to repeatedly achieve low teen ES and low SD'S. Ran up over 3100fps with no problem. I am happy with ADG brass so far. I can't compare the ADG to Lapua brass. I've ran hornady brass mainly. I've got a box of Lapua brass and plan on getting more but won't be using it until I switch barrels.
Any temp stability issues with RL26 in the SM case? I hear it’s hit or miss depending on what case it’s used in.

Any temp stability issues with RL26 in the SM case? I hear it’s hit or miss depending on what case it’s used in.
I've only had it in the SM case for a little over a month but it seems to run consistent with the 300PRC case. I really have not seen any big swings. I will look through my notes and let you know what I find.
I am doing load development with RL33 right now also. I am undecided with which one will work best. I'm running out of RL26 and picked up 8lb of the RL33. So far it looks promising.

Reactions: Hondo1
I found RL-33 to be a bad fit in the 300PRC with 230/250 Atips, 245 Bergers, 225 ELD-M's and a few other bullets.

I found RL-33 to be a bad fit in the 300PRC with 230/250 Atips, 245 Bergers, 225 ELD-M's and a few other bullets.
I appreciate the feedback. I was messaging back and forth with Rich Sherman and he has had decent results with it in the 30SM. Since I can't find any H1000 or R26 and was able to get 8-lb of the RL33 I figured why not. Loaded it up from 78gr to 90gr in .5gr increase between each one. Never hit pressure at 90gr and 3124fps. Had a decent node around 3030fps between 86.5 and 87.5. Loaded 3 rounds each in .1gr jumps with 86.7, 86.8 and 86.9gr averaging single digit ES between them. They all had decent groups around 3/4 moa that I plan on exploring. I still plan on running my RL26 until I'm out I think and then will do the powder swap to RL33. That saves my few measly pounds of H1000 for my hunting rifle (300WM 220gr ELDX load) and my IMR7977 as my backup to both my 300WM and 300PRC loads.
Wish I could score some powder locally. Key word "wish". I don't think that will happen until after the mid terms are over....Hopefully.

My preferred poweder is RL-26 with a back up of N565....and N568 if I can get some.
RL26 is my favorite for my 300PRC and 30SM by far. H1000 and IMR7977 next and in that order. Both have done well in my 300WM and 300PRC. I have not had the opportunity to run either N565 or N568.

Reactions: Hondo1
To be honest I've driven as far as Denver to get RL26. I live in Rock Springs Wyoming. Last bit I was able to buy my brother found and I met him I. Denver to get it. My wife thinks I'm crazy....maybe I am🤔
I’m from Vernal, I’ve done equally crazy things for components in the past!

Reactions: JBarton
It was long but my chamber was extra long so I didn’t have to trim the 8x68 norma brass I used to fire form it. At the time hornady was the only choice for 375 ruger brass and I was single feeding anyway so I chambered it deeper than standard. About .060” deeper. With a 30” tube I was getting 2830fps from a 300gr Berger. I also had extra free bore cut when I decided to try the 300’s over the 250’s.

Ptg has a 338/375 ruger reamer print for a simple neck down of the 375 ruger case. Or neck up of the 300prc

Reactions: Earnhardt
Ptg has a 338/375 ruger reamer print for a simple neck down of the 375 ruger case. Or neck up of the 300prc
This will also be reamer depth dependent; the head spacing on 300PRC is aft of the head spacing on 375 Ruger. I have an overlay of the SAAMI profiles somewhere…

Reactions: jasent
Lapua @ MidSouth

Can anyone point me towards a 300 prc go/no-go gauge set in stock somewhere please?

Last edited:
Has anyone run both ADG and Lapua and can tell me what the powder charge difference was vs. each other to get the same velocity?

Has anyone run both ADG and Lapua and can tell me what the powder charge difference was vs. each other to get the same velocity?

My experience has been about a full grain of most powders.....less powder for the ADG. I still found ADG failing on primer pockets too early on the hot loads though.

Got bored and started ladder loads with the Berger 230 OTMs.
Compared them to the Hornady 225ELDMs they are noticeably less pointy. load data has them maxed out @2645 which seems really low.
I'm thinking of trying some copper solids next - 26" 1:9" twist barrel w 7828SSC or N565:
thoughts?

These:

OR:

PVA also has a 241 Seneca but I don't want to try pushing that fast enough to stabalize it. I think one of those 2 would be good candidates.
Hope 2022 is going well for you guys.

Last edited:
My experience has been about a full grain of most powders.....less powder for the ADG. I still found ADG failing on primer pockets too early on the hot loads though.
Same here with the 300RUM and 338 Edge

Got bored and started ladder loads with the Berger 230 OTMs.
Compared them to the Hornady 225ELDMs they are noticeably less pointy. load data has them maxed out @2645 which seems really low.
I'm thinking of trying some copper solids next - 26" 1:9" twist barrel w 7828SSC or N565:
thoughts?

These:

OR:

PVA also has a 241 Seneca but I don't want to try pushing that fast enough to stabalize it. I think one of those 2 would be good candidates.
Hope 2022 is going well for you guys.
Pva recommend an 8 twist for the 212 but they also have a 198 very similar to the flatline. I believe the only difference is the alloy used.
I’m doing load work with the 198’s in a 1:8 (300wm)now and very happy so far but have not had a chance to take them past 835 yards yet
I’m single feeding

I tried reading back but didn't fine any the info I was looking for. Anyone with a 300 prc that shoots 250 a-tip can you tell me the length to the lands with the saami freebore .232

I believe b2lee has shot them!

I've shot them but my rifle was throated for 230 Bergers, so it probably won't be correct. I can tell you, at .060" off the lands I can't mag load them. But damn they shoot well.

Reactions: Earnhardt
I've shot them but my rifle was throated for 230 Bergers, so it probably won't be correct. I can tell you, at .060" off the lands I can't mag load them. But damn they shoot well.
What is the COAL?

Lapua virgin brass, expander mandrel, trimmed, deburred.
Berger 210 VLD Hunter 30cal
Fed GM215M primers
ADI AR2217 (H1000) - 77.6gr is my final load.
0.020" approx off lands.

77.0 up to 77.8 were all below 0.5 MOA... So, these are awesome and very easy to load.

300PRCtest.jpg
300prc.jpg
TQLI2174.JPG

Last edited:
Lapua virgin brass, expander mandrel, trimmed, deburred.
Berger 210 VLD Hunter 30cal
Fed GM215M primers
ADI AR2217 (H1000) - 77.6gr is my final load.
0.020" approx off lands.

77.0 up to 77.8 were all below 0.5 MOA... So, these are awesome and very easy to load.

View attachment 7795466View attachment 7795467View attachment 7795468
I'd be interested to see how your load changes with 1x fired. It was my experience that I had a lot of body expansion from virgin to 1x fired. I had to back down .7gr to get the same velocity without pressure. This was with the first revision SAMMI reamer and Redding dies.

Reactions: 96C
I’ve been enjoying my prc, but it’s a short barrel hunting rifle so I primarily focus on 215s inside of 1k.

Im considering jointing a range with a mile steel plate, and thus building a mile gun. I’m already set up to load this cartridge so it’s a front runner for me, with also considering a 338 lapua improved or norma improved. Opinions? Anyone use this cartridge *specifically* for mile shooting? I see good success on here from a few members I just want to make sure if I’m gonna build a rifle I do it for the optimal cartridge for this not for one that will work, I’m sure it will work.

In a quick applied ballistics test case I’m seeing a 230 hybrid to be around 1200 fps if I start it out at 3k. Seems pretty good

Impressive. If you had roughly $2,000 to spend on a factory rifle in 300 PRC with potential for future enhancement in the future, what would you buy?
I am the worlds worst at giving advice on budget builds. I drank the kool-aide decades ago and go full customs. My action alone is like $1350. I have no time behind a factory build....thus I can't give an opinion on one. I'll let others that do own or have experience on these types of builds chime in....but again...I'm not one to ask about anything that isn't high end.

Reactions: JB.IC and gnochi