• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 300 Win Mag build's first hunt!

TanktheFrank

UP AND COMING
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2017
New Braunfels, TX
Over the course of the last few months I have been piecing together the rifle of my dreams, "budget version". The original idea was to get close to the looks of a mk13 mod 0 without the high price tag, that would serve as my hunting and target rifle.

Specs: Remington 700 5r gen 2 in 300 wm. 26" factory barrel with no name mb (very effective!)
Grayboe renegade stock -I love this one! Ryan, the HMFIC at Grayboe really helped me decide on going with his conpany and with the renegade.
Vortex Viper hslr 4x16x44 rattle canned on xtr rings.
magpul dbm kit
168 grain berger vld from HSM

Hunt performance: Using the rifle in various hunt methods (stalking, hilltop glassing and stand hunting) over 3 days in this recent south Texas weather was a blast. Being a young buck, trudging around with the rifle, home made tripod and all the other neccesary gear was a cake walk. The rifle had great balance on and off of the tripod, and slung well on long walks. I didn't get to use it on game this trip, but the target range on the ranch was used both before and after the hunt. Zero was maintained even though, I'm ashamed to admit, I let a companion hold the rifle and he fiddled with it and dropped it.
All in all, I'm glad the build held up to what I wanted/expected and hope to get back on some other animals before the new year.

The pig in the picture was a little outside of my comortable shooting range for animals. Otherwise he would've been walking pan sausage!
​​​​

Attachments

• photo81942.jpg
    photo81942.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 45
  • photo81943.jpg
    photo81943.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 46
  • photo81944.jpg
    photo81944.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 45
Sorry to take so long to reply, but the rifle shoots superbly from my perspective. .5-.75 moa consistently. With 168 vld hunters, 150 hornady interlocks, and even 180 federal. Rifle feels about 14 lbs in weight with glass and loaded mag. May be a touch under but I cant tell anymore.