• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

300 wm shoulder push back problem

ctharv117

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2011
Oakland MD
www.rwbinnovations.com
hay guys

i just got done building my new 300wm and im trying to do some reloading for it but the problem is my once fired brass from my old rifle wont fit so i started moving the shoulder back untill they would chamber up. but in doing so i have little bumps all the way around the shoulder. is this normal i have never seen it

i am using RCBS FL sizing dies

any help would be great
thanks

Re: 300 wm shoulder push back problem

How much lube are you using? Too much lube can dimple brass.

Clean the shoulder area of the die. You might have a build up of lube there, then use less lube and try it again.

What brand of lube are you using?

Some dies are vented at the shoulder to prevent that...some aren't. Won't hurt a thing. Insufficient lube will stick a case...necessitating a trip to the hardware store for removal tools for the stuck casing.

Dimples are most often caused by the hydraulic force of excessive lube. Try wiping with an oily towel instead of rolling on a pad and see if your problem goes away

When resizing, all you need to lube is the case body, nothing else. Cases get stuck bc of the large contact surface of the body with the die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cth1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am using RCBS lube and pad
</div></div>

I never liked the RCBS lube, just because of that problem, found that out 30 + years ago. My #1 lube is Dillon for large jobs and Imperial sizing wax lube for small jobs.

I spray some Hornady lube on a large patch, and then wipe that on the case, avoiding the neck and shoulder completely. I had the same problem with my 300 WM (Hornady brass/RCBS Dies) until I started lubing them this way.