• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300wm - .300wsm

Re: Loads for .300WM-.300WSM

anybody have a neck dia of turned (just too clean up) laoded rounds for a 300wsm i'm thinking .337, .338ish i turn my 308 to 014 and use a .333 neck dia giving a 336 loaded round... does that sound about right to you all???
Yes I use .337

Re: loads for 300WSM Remington brass
62gr H4350 190gr Sierra matchking, Fed215m, Chrono 2900fps av with 4 SD. 1/12 twist Kreiger 28” barrel. Tack driver!

Stupid question why does everyone seem to want to do Heavy 215-230 gr bullets over 185-190 ?? is it just wind buck or am i missing something inherent to the 300 WM ?
The bc is better and wind. Just have to run the numbers to make sure the heavies work better

Stupid question why does everyone seem to want to do Heavy 215-230 gr bullets over 185-190 ?? is it just wind buck or am i missing something inherent to the 300 WM ?
Both BC and mob/crowd factor (it every caliber trending towards heavier bullets--its the new trend bby!). However in the podcast Frank often talks about backing off weight to gain some extra speed. (and also faster twist). So back off the 220s go to say 200s and try for more speed. I probably need to do some math to see what there break point is for 30 cal. I did an extrapolation once of all the bullets people were shooting at lower cals and turns out 30 cal version should be in the 200 gr range (if you scale up from 223, 6mm, 6.5, 7 etc..)

For instance in 6.5 Creed--max weight is typicall 140-147 gr, shooting about 2700fps. By dropping to 130 grain you can get up to 2800 or 2900 fps (I'm pulling this off the top of my head, so figures could vary widely). That extra speed gives you advantage over the loss in BC.

Its not just WM or 30 cal...everyone is humping each other to get to heavier bullets. (which generally have better bc, so its not all trendy).

Reactions: Earnhardt
It’s a little trendy. I use up to 200gr in 300wsm. I save my heavier lead for 300prc. Sierra has a fairly new high bc 200 gr bullet. I’ll just bought some and will post my results soon!

I'm running 225's right now. Great BC, but the main reason is because that's what I can get in any appreciable quantity.

I did the math on the 200's, 208's, 210's, 215's, etc... They all look pretty good. But it doesn't matter because I can't get enough of them to matter. Lol.

Mike

I'm running 225's right now. Great BC, but the main reason is because that's what I can get in any appreciable quantity.

I did the math on the 200's, 208's, 210's, 215's, etc... They all look pretty good. But it doesn't matter because I can't get enough of them to matter. Lol.

Mike
Is that bc holding on the 225 eldm? Heard people say it was lower or seen results that were lower.

I'll let you know... Just beginning to get serious with them.

Mike
I just started load work 300 win mag 230 a-tips looking very promising. I shot the 225 eldm a few years ago and the bc seemed to hold true but had a 1-8 twist. Seems like the 1-9 1-10 lose some

Defiance XM 300 WSM 1:9 26” proof carbon
Berger 210 vld hunting
R26
68.7g
Hornady brass
2885 fps

I have (200) 181 hammers and looking for a load using H1000, R26, H4350, imr4451, N560, R22, R19- any thoughts???

Last edited:
300 WSM
60.5 grains RL16
Norma brass (annealed)
215M primer
190 grain ABLR
2,886 ft/s out of a Browning ABII

Riddle me this; I have been shooting and thus reloading for the 300WM for a handfull of years.

At first, I shot Hornady ELD-X 212 out of the factory 26" barrel. They shot great at 2725 fps.
And also ran a load with the 220 grain Scenar L right at the same speed.

After about 1100 round I had a custom 29" barrel made from Jury Custom barrels, installed along with a complete rebuild.
Revised the 220 grain Scenar L load get 2735 fps with 2 grains less powder. Shot great.

Then this year, I was tired of lugging around a 29" barrel and supressor combo that made the rifle almost as long as I am tall.
So I had it chopped to 22" and expected some serious velocity drop. But the very same load with slow N170 powder only resulted in a loss of 80fps, I was kind of surprised. And I was expecting at least 100 fps maybe more.

And to top it all of. I got my hands on some Hornady ELD-M 225 grain bullets and figured that a powder like N560 could help to get some decent speed out of them. But they kind of topped out at 2620 fps, shot great but the speed were not quite where I thought it would be.

So, I was expecting a slower powder to suffer more in a shorter barrel. And I was also expecting a more energy rich powder like th N560 to pick things up again and compensate, at least a bit. But internal ballistics are not all that easy to predict, as it turns out.

Any thoughts on this?

Riddle me this; I have been shooting and thus reloading for the 300WM for a handfull of years.

At first, I shot Hornady ELD-X 212 out of the factory 26" barrel. They shot great at 2725 fps.

After about 1100 round I had a custom 29" barrel made from Jury Custom barrels, installed along with a complete rebuild.
Revised the 220 grain Scenar L load get 2735 fps with 2 grains less powder. Shot great.

Then this year, I was tired of lugging around a 29" barrel and supressor combo that made the rifle almost as long as I am tall.
So I had it chopped to 22" and expected some serious velocity drop. But the very same load with slow N170 powder only resulted in a loss of 80fps, I was kind of surprised. And I was expecting at least 100 fps maybe more.

And to top it all of. I got my hands on some Hornady ELD-M 225 grain bullets and figured that a powder like N560 could help to get some decent speed out of them. But they kind of topped out at 2620 fps, shot great but the speed were not quite where I thought it would be.

So, I was expecting a slower powder to suffer more in a shorter barrel. And I was also expecting a more energy rich powder like th N560 to pick things up again and compensate, at least a bit. But internal ballistics are not all that easy to predict, as it turns out.

Any thoughts on this?
I'm not surprised by the lack of velocity drop. 29" barrel is long as hell. 22" barrel really isn't that short. I run a 24" with N570 and 210 Berger VLD at 2950 FPS. My old barrel was a 26" and it ran at the same speed. It seems pretty forgiving as far as barrel length.

Any thoughts on this?
A few thoughts
N170 isn’t really that slow(but a fantastic powder)and you’re still getting almost complete burn at 22” and a fairly high muzzle pressure.

Additionally the 29” barrel you had send to me to have been a bit. Of a slow barrel.

Looks like on that combination muzzle pressure starts falling faster at about 27” so past that gains per inch slow more noticeably.

Buddy found that out recently-got a 34” barrel for his 338NM thinking he was going to stomp on my 30” 338 edge and was hilariously to me disappointed

Lots of heavier ELD bullets have a lot of bearings area compared to some of their competitors and pressure out a bit faster.
Especially with N560

Last edited:
A few thoughts
N170 isn’t really that slow(but a fantastic powder)and you’re still getting almost complete burn at 22” and a fairly high muzzle pressure.

Additionally the 29” barrel you had send to me to have been a bit. Of a slow barrel.

Looks like on that combination muzzle pressure starts falling faster at about 27” so past that gains per inch slow more noticeably.

Buddy found that out recently-got a 34” barrel for his 338NM thinking he was going to stomp on my 30” 338 edge and was hilariously to me disappointed

Lots of heavier ELD bullets have a lot of bearings area compared to some of their competitors and pressure out a bit faster.
Especially with N560

I agree, N170 is a great powder and has been very reliable. Getting good load data on it is a bit tricky but its a good powder.
Im guessing that you are saying that the barrel I have is on the slow side, which might be true. I never did try to get Lapua brass and test it to its limits. But with Norma brass the numbers I gave in the previous post where kind of a good regular load that gave decent brass life and did not push things over the edge.

I have got some 208 grain A-Max on the shelf, I figured that is what I will try next with the N560 powder. Not sure what speed to expect.

I'm not surprised by the lack of velocity drop. 29" barrel is long as hell. 22" barrel really isn't that short. I run a 24" with N570 and 210 Berger VLD at 2950 FPS. My old barrel was a 26" and it ran at the same speed. It seems pretty forgiving as far as barrel length.
Yes, it does seem to be more forgiving that I thought. There is the old saying that if you cut a 300 win mag (or similar) barrel short you will end up getting 30-06 (in this case) performance. But that is not true, as it turns out.

Going forward I think that a 22" barrel is probably a good sweet spot for the calibers I am likely to run.

My thought was ... "225gr is more of a 300-PRC weight bullet, and seems heavy for a 300-WM". Other thoughts would be less interesting.
Well, its up there. But the 220 grain SMK or Scenar L are proven performers. Another 5 grains was worth a try.
If I had a 1:9 twist barrel, I would give the 230 grain A-Tips a try. But I think that the above 220 grain bullets does fit the 300 PRC or 300 Norma Magnum even better. I think we can agree on that.

The 225 grain ELD-Ms still shot great though. I did not have too much trubble shooting 0.5 MOA groups at 100 meters. And they gave very low vertical dispersion at 300 meters. Would like to try them on a longer range some day.

Anybody shooting N165 and Berger 230 Hybrids in .300WM? How about N165 and Sierra 220s? I have manuals, I just want to know your results, good or bad, velocities, accy, etc. Thanks

Last edited:
I'm looking for load recommendations for a 20" 300WSM with a 1/10 twist. I will be using this for whitetail and boar hunting with occasional long range work. I'm looking at 180/190 grain Bergers

Just picked up a 300 wm looking to see what powders work with Barnes bullets Iv got 150s,168,and 180s on hand.

Just picked up a 300 wm looking to see what powders work with Barnes bullets Iv got 150s,168,and 180s on hand.
H4831 would be a good pick for all three. If you go heavier you can use Retumbo, H1000, or N570. Out of a 24" Bartlien M24 I get 2950 FPS with 210 Bergers using N570.

Reactions: huntnh
I am trying to find a new load for my Short barreled 16 inch 300 wsm. I am shooting the 180s and with rl26 I got a ton of speed 2950. It was a warm load but it was not consistent, and i am looking. So I am looking to find a new load, speed being important because of the barrel length. I have h1000, rl16, n570 and h4350. I'm assuming rl16 will give me the most consistency and speed, but trying to figure out a good place to start and finsih on the powder charge. I have quickload, but it's weird with rl16. Any info and help is appriciated.

N570 is probably too slow for a 180. May want to start slower to see if you can stabilize it. H1000 or RL 16 should do you right.

I am trying to find a new load for my Short barreled 16 inch 300 wsm. I am shooting the 180s and with rl26 I got a ton of speed 2950. It was a warm load but it was not consistent, and i am looking. So I am looking to find a new load, speed being important because of the barrel length. I have h1000, rl16, n570 and h4350. I'm assuming rl16 will give me the most consistency and speed, but trying to figure out a good place to start and finsih on the powder charge. I have quickload, but it's weird with rl16. Any info and help is appriciated.
I have never loaded for one that short but I use a ton of RL 16. I settled on this powder for my 300 wsm for several reasons. I’ve tested it with 168’s 185’s and 190 grain bullets in my 21” barrel. I’d love to here some of your results if you end up working up data, please share it. I believe alliant powder has a good starting and ending point for load data on there website for your bullet weight range.

I have never loaded for one that short but I use a ton of RL 16. I settled on this powder for my 300 wsm for several reasons. I’ve tested it with 168’s 185’s and 190 grain bullets in my 21” barrel. I’d love to here some of your results if you end up working up data, please share it. I believe alliant powder has a good starting and ending point for load data on there website for your bullet weight range.
what is your max powder charge with the185 and 165s?

Anyone have loads for 195 TMK for 300 win mag
I may... If I kept my notes. I used Hornady's 10th Ed. for their 195 gr BTHP Match to get my start/max loads... Powder was IMR 4451 or IMR 4350. Perhaps both at different times depending on availability.

Not sure on the COAL... My rifle had a standard length magazine so 3.340" was about max unless I did single feed. Which I did a lot.

I'll see if I can find my notes tomorrow.

Mike

I had NO IDEA that 300wsm brass was made from unobtanium.....impossible to find 🤬🤬🤬
same. I lucked out yesterday. Took a trip about an hour from me to a mom and pop shop closing down. Sure as hell they had a bag of Hornady .300 WSM for 45$ and I gladly scooped it up.

Reactions: wvfarrier
I have some hornady 300 wsm that I’d probably part with. NIB.

Loaded some 300 WSM rounds for my custom Tikka. 29,5" barrel, 1:10 twist.

Hornady 225 ELDm
Vihtavouri N560 65,5 grain.
Federal LRM primers.
COAL 3.32" (long throathed chamber)

getting 2805 fps and 5 shot groups of 0.6"

Reactions: OkieMike
300WSM
Norma Brass
200 Berger .02 off the lands
60.6grs of H4350
Fed210M
2905FPS - 29.5" Barrel shooting .25" - 5 shot groups in my F-Class build.

Last edited: