• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300wm Muzzle Brake. Eff everyone standing next to me.

EotS

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2020
South
Looking for the hands down, most recoil reducing brake with least exhaust blowback on the shooter.

Everything keeps me coming back to the 419 HF.

Reactions: rottenruger
Look at PVA Shockwave also if you want the least blast on you.

I have a Precision Armament M4-72 on my WinMag.

Good recoil reduction, no muzzle rise and the "blowback" really isn't too bad.

+2 for the PVA; good price, recoil reduction, and decent neighbor annoyance. I only wish they made a 300 wm ptr I could put it one on and be the most loved person at my range.

APA gen 3 fat bastard. Honestly a gen 3 little bastard will be a dramatic reduction.

Reactions: GregMow
Tagged because komifornia sucks and I’m new to the .30 mag game.

APA all are great at reducing recoil and moving the shooter next to you down the line. Gen3s are two nuts for timing, no crush washers, so is the hellfire.

Haven't used a couple of those mentioned above.
I will say that the JP Recoil Eliminator is the best I've ever been behind insofar as recoil reduction, and annoying those on either side- but they're ugly as fuck.

Was just having this conversation with a customer that came in a couple of days ago. Flame suit on, but we were both of the opinion that this is part of the game when shooting at a public range. I do everything I can to be courteous as far as timing shots and letting those next to me know they're going to get blasted- but with some chamberings brakes aren't optional unless you want to go home with a lot of pain at after 50-100 rounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: gatorbait308
I don't shoot at public ranges, and have a setup at home.

That’s a 5 year old test. A lot has happened since then.

Reactions: Railguner
I run a gen3 LB and a Chode brake. Both work great.

I’ve got a gen2 fat bastard on an 18” 6.5cm, and it’s the one gun I double up ear pro for. I also shoot a 20” 300wsm and a 22” 7saum with PVA breaks and they are not even close to as punishing to the shooter.

Reactions: Rob01
No shit. What do you think all of these responses are.

Does anyone have experience with the masterpiece arms muzzle brake?

a419 hellfire (match is better) or sidewinder
APA either size
PVA
Insite heathen

pick whichever you like the looks of most
pick the diamer/number of ports

pick A419 if you run tbac or other cans sometimes

doesn't need to be more complicated than that

I head there's a bipod that works well for managing recoil too.
Are you insinuating that a stock has no effect on felt recoil?

If you preload your bipod, it does help manage recoil as well. You don't buy a 300 WM thinking it's going to feel like a 243, do you?

In the OP, he did ask for a brake, but wants recoil reduction with less blowback... Hence my stock recommendation. ALL brakes blast, one way or the other. Just food for thought was all.

Are you insinuating that a stock has no effect on felt recoil?

If you preload your bipod, it does help manage recoil as well. You don't buy a 300 WM thinking it's going to feel like a 243, do you?

In the OP, he did ask for a brake, but wants recoil reduction with less blowback... Hence my stock recommendation. ALL brakes blast, one way or the other. Just food for thought was all.
you're new here so we'll let it slide. but you've missed some epic threads over the years

Don't let it slide on account of me being new to a forum. If I said something wrong, call it. I wouldn't have it any other way.
nah you're all good.

the post you quoted was a joke referencing that youtube video

was quite an entertaining thread a few years ago

Reactions: 3rd Monkey
Insite Heathen.

Does an excellent job with recoil reduction, while mitigating some of the concussion/blast back to the shooter. The main port is perpendicular to the bore, sending gasses that way and disrupting the flow of gasses from the front two ports from reaching the shooter.

Look at brake geometry to try and assess how much concussion it will send back to the shooter. Port geometry that's angled backwards, while very effective at reducing recoil, will be sending blast back to the shooter (A419, APA, etc.).

No muzzle brake will completely prevent concussion going back to shooter (or even close to it), but some are better than others. Or get a suppressor. The answer is always a suppressor.

Insite Heathen.

Does an excellent job with recoil reduction, while mitigating some of the concussion/blast back to the shooter. The main port is perpendicular to the bore, sending gasses that way and disrupting the flow of gasses from the front two ports from reaching the shooter.

Look at brake geometry to try and assess how much concussion it will send back to the shooter. Port geometry that's angled backwards, while very effective at reducing recoil, will be sending blast back to the shooter (A419, APA, etc.).

No muzzle brake will completely prevent concussion going back to shooter (or even close to it), but some are better than others. Or get a suppressor. The answer is always a suppressor.
APA directs it straight into your face.

Well now I don't know who to believe.
I’ll sum everything up for you.

APA and Area 419 reduce the most recoil, but send more blast to the shooter (with the exception of the hellfire match)

Insite and PVA reduce nearly as much recoil as the others, but don’t blast the shooter nearly as bad.

The ultimate in not giving yourself tinitus/mild TBI’s is to get a suppressor.

Stock design can help control recoil, but will do nothing to reduce the force (unless one stock weighs more than the other).

The bipod thing was a joke.

I have both Gen 3 APA and 4 port MBM on 300 WM, they both work wonders.

The guys next to me on the range can also attest to it.

Looking for the hands down, most recoil reducing brake with least exhaust blowback on the shooter.

I use the

Ultradyne Apollo LR Compensator Muzzle Brake with Timing Nut 5/8"-24 Thread Stainless Steel Nitride.​

$140 on Midway USA. very little recoil, can stay on target to see @ 1 km +. Anything or person beside you won't be happy but she gets it done right.

If you want a great all around brake.

JP Recoil Eliminator Tank Break.

1. Obnoxious af to bystanders.
2. Pretty good recoil reduction.
3. Great at keeping you on target.
4. Sideways blast, not rearward blast.

It's a great all arounder.

I'm disappointed at some of the replies in this thread. Is it MANLY to disrespect a fellow gunner, newbie or not, who just wants help in the form of your experience and advice? We need to respect each other; there are plenty of anti-gunners on the other side, who definitely don't deserve our respect and there are more of them than us, so why don't we save our angst for them?

Reactions: 3rd Monkey
I put a Harrell's Precision on one of my 300RUM and have been highly pleased with it. Significantly cut down on recoil, though I dont have a fancy sled to quantify it.

Haven't used a couple of those mentioned above.
I will say that the JP Recoil Eliminator is the best I've ever been behind insofar as recoil reduction, and annoying those on either side- but they're ugly as fuck.

Was just having this conversation with a customer that came in a couple of days ago. Flame suit on, but we were both of the opinion that this is part of the game when shooting at a public range. I do everything I can to be courteous as far as timing shots and letting those next to me know they're going to get blasted- but with some chamberings brakes aren't optional unless you want to go home with a lot of pain at after 50-100 rounds.
I had a Ross Shuler 3 port on a 20" 308. I had to use double hearing protection or it would give me a headache after about twenty rounds. Ended up turning it into a thread protector.

Anyway, I was out at the range one day all by my lonesome and a guy shows up and starts setting up camp right beside me.

I informed him that my rifle was a little noisy and he may want to take the next bench over. He disregarded the warning and set up anyway.

First shot wiped his table clean of all the light objects and blew his shirt up. Then he went to cussing me and moving his stuff. I tried to tell him.

I use assassin brakes now. Better recoil reduction and way less noise on the shooter.

• Haha
Reactions: Jscb1b

I don't know if they make one for your rifle but I have a NERO556 NERO 556, Incone, from Walker Defense Research LLC ($185). It eliminates barrel rise and directs gases to the sides. Fancy 3d printed to create what machining cant. Check it out you might like it.

I don't know if they make one for your rifle but I have a NERO556 NERO 556, Incone, from Walker Defense Research LLC ($185). It eliminates barrel rise and directs gases to the sides. Fancy 3d printed to create what machining cant. Check it out you might like it.

If the blast is to either side, I don't give a flip. Once had an instructor, "Chief", who didn't feel the same, since he was back in the zone. He didn't hesitate to dress me down!