• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

308 ARs are like women

matu52

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2011
College Station, TX
So I was getting some trigger time with my MWS in 308 and 260 today. I was using a 260 load I know to be accurate in the rifle but I was all over the place. I ran through my fundamentals checklist and everything seemed right but I just couldn't get it done.

So just for a change of pace I tried shooting the gun without driving it. I got into a good prone position behind the gun, took a position on the gun that was as light as possible, set up a good NPA, and fired some 5 rnd groups.

I was pissed. The groups were superb, but that style of shooting for big bore AR flies in the face of all my training and experience.

Am I taking crazy pills?

Re: 308 ARs are like women

I have had the same thing happen to me on the range numerous times with ARs. Shoot clover leaf groups and one hole groups two days in a row. And shooting the same ammo on a different day, barely shoot 1.5" groups. I have always found that mine goes back to my grip on the pistol grip of the gun and if I have any pressure pulling the gun back into my shoulder pocket. Once I adjust these things and concentrate on my grip on the gun my groups shrink again. The ARs are for sure a lot harder to shoot but they are more fun too
grin.gif

lock time is very long compared to bolt action and follow through is crucial for the best accuracy with AR's, I learned that one the hard way.

Biggest kicker for me with AR's is trigger pull and followthrough. A little bit off, and it can cause a lot of frustration. With good trigger control, my groups change from >1.5MOA to <.75MOA. Interestingly, I only seem to have problems when shooting groups. It can make for a real head scratcher when I consistently shoot crappy groups, then the same day, center punch 10 1" dots in a dot drill.