• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Battle Rifle

Re: .308 Battle Rifle

So, according to 922r, could I have the foreign made parts in my possession just not installed on my rifle? I re-read the law, and its confusing everytime I read it. I have anew idea and cant answer my own questions. Im just thinking of buying some foreign parts because they are cheap, and keeping the gun all American while America is still alive? Would I be in trouble doing that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The rifle is glassbedded and has hooded ring front, N/M rear peep match sights, along with a 1" LOP rubber extension butt pad. Accuracy performance equals N/M spec, or better. 300yd battle sight setting, center mass hold, nobody walks away at least out to around 500yd.

Greg </div></div>

not divert from the thread...what hooded ring sight do you have?

This is a slight thread drift, but seemed appropriate to the topic:

If we're talking a jack-of-all trades "battle rifle" regardless of platform, what is an optimum weight and barrel length?

It seems to me that you'd want to come in at 9-10lbs, unloaded and without optics and go from there. If so (and I'm not saying this is gospel), how does that thin the herd, or what aftermarket changes can you do to make a light, handy, dependable and accurate set-up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike1023</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a slight thread drift, but seemed appropriate to the topic:

If we're talking a jack-of-all trades "battle rifle" regardless of platform, what is an optimum weight and barrel length?

It seems to me that you'd want to come in at 9-10lbs, unloaded and without optics and go from there. If so (and I'm not saying this is gospel), how does that thin the herd, or what aftermarket changes can you do to make a light, handy, dependable and accurate set-up. </div></div>

18" barrel, weight as pictured unloaded : 10 lbs. 9.6 Oz.
Less than 10 lbs. when you remove the light, Aimpoint and AFG.

Walter-Mitty-BB.jpg

Just get another AR10 that you don't have to baby. Problem solved.
smile.gif

Well steelcomp, as much as I love one, they are not as durable as everyone would like to believe. They are picky with ammo, and function degrades rapidly with dirt build up. I like my AR10 being the baby, it gets the best of everything. And deserves it. I want something that can be neglected, shot dry, and just plain abuse. Plus I cant find any used Armalites for under 1000$. Im liking the FAL alot, I handled a few today at Collectors Firearms. They are over priced but gave me some good ideas what too look for. So who makes good FALs, they had Enterprise, Imbel or something like that, DSA, and an FN FAL for 3500$-whats up with that?, an L1A1 but it took inch mags, some HK91 clones, a couple PTRs as well, everything I was looking for. The Enterprise caught my eye, short barrel, I think 16 or 18, folding stock, metric mags. They had it for 1100$ Used. Rip off, Im sure. Anyways, I would like to know whats a good company to start with? I want to buy a complete rifle, and just change it as I go instead of build from scratch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To the OP:

...shipping both ways to Geoffery Korn in Iowa.... </div></div>

FWIW, Geoffry Corn is in Indiana not Iowa.

To the OP, if you want a FAL it hard to do better than an STG58 built on an Imbel reciever. I have two, and they are shooters, and 100% reliable. Both are Steyr kit guns, with the Steyr hammer-forger barrels. The one actually shoots better than my preban GI parts M1A used to(before I sold it). The only negative with these rifles is the lack of a free floating barrel, and the atrocious standard rear sights. (They aren't that atrocious, I can bang the 575 yd. gong at the range with boring regularity. I'm just spoiled on the M1A sight system.) The FAL is a tough gal, who will have your back in a bar fight, and not get PO'd when you forget her birthday, but she ain't a beauty queen, and she's a little heavy. The M1A is a classy lady who needs a little love, but she's beautiful, and a good cook, too. What you need depends on your personality. Are you an "outlaw biker", or a "family man"? I made my choice. I miss the M1A, but the new gal(s) are less demanding, and they eat anything........
wink.gif

I enjoy cheap dates, women with meat on their bones who have some attitude. The Armalite is my beauty queen. Im sure Ill get my hands on the M1A down the road. Can you not change the sights on the FAL at all?

Sure can, DSA makes a lower and gas block with a pic. rail that one can put any BUIS on.

okay read thru some of these and have to say, if you were considering the cetme for the price point a nice cia R1a1 FAL clone would be light years superior for same money, maybe cheaper. way better design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MOCOS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not divert from the thread...what hooded ring sight do you have? </div></div>

I'm no longer certain. It was acquired back in the 90's, when I was living back in NJ. I'm pretty sure the 'Smith obtained it from Brownell's. The hood/housing fits the reverse dovetail atop the gas cylinder/sight mount, and uses what looks like pretty standard Lyman-type interchangeable inserts. It's the perfect front sight for me.

It looks a lot like this one, but the base portion of mine appears to be a lot taller than the one in this picture.

Greg

For an FAL, I've heard DSA is the place to go. I was checking out their website and they sure have a lot of options and quite a few for well under 2K.

IMHO and based of both external and terminal ballistics trying to run a .308 with a shorter than 16" barrel is uneducated.

And this comes with the experience that we have built 8" 12", 12.5", 13.7", 14.5" and some others lengths under 16" in special SR-25's.

I kinda figured as much on the 308. I know it was designed to shoot a 21" barrel back in the day. I dont like the Leonidas, its over priced and no better than an Armalite. All it has is a different barrel and labeled Armalites lowers with a Noveske symbol. Not worth the extra cost IMO. Plus I have never been a fan of carbine AR10s. They just look wrong. I dont know why, but they just look and feel wrong. Thats just me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO and based of both external and terminal ballistics trying to run a .308 with a shorter than 16" barrel is uneducated.

And this comes with the experience that we have built 8" 12", 12.5", 13.7", 14.5" and some others lengths under 16" in special SR-25's.

</div></div>

The only shorter than 16" .308 that I know that does run well is SEI's 13" M14K

m14k.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoatHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

About that M1A in the pawn shop, I think its a Norinco or something. </div></div>

This 18" MK14 barreled action is built on a Norinco receiver.

UniqueM8023-2.jpg

I moved it back into my SAGE Mod 1 stock earlier this week
cool.gif

I've had 3 FAL's, a Century and 2 DSA's.They're all gone now and M-14's have moved in.
I can hold better than my FAL's would shoot, not so with the M-14 and my M-14's have proven reliable so far.

+++ for the FAL as well, the M1A although a great weapon, doesn't fit me as well as the fal. HK's are good too but such a pain to clean and picky on ammo especially if you want to reload for it. FAL all the way.

The is the one I am going with. Now just to find out which would be a good one to start a build on. Who makes quality METRIC FALS?

I know DSA is the best. Im wanting to get a cheaper one and slap a bunch of DSA parts on it. I figured that would be easier and cheaper to build what I want. I have noticed the FAL will not be like snapping legos together like the AR15s, but I am up for the challenge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoatHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know DSA is the best. Im wanting to get a cheaper one and slap a bunch of DSA parts on it. I figured that would be easier and cheaper to build what I want. I have noticed the FAL will not be like snapping legos together like the AR15s, but I am up for the challenge. </div></div>

It's starting to sound like you should research buying and converting a Saiga .308 Rifle.

SAI-308-D.jpg

DSA LW Carbine
Aimpoint T1 on DSA Pic topcover
SAW grip , DSA ext safety , L1A1 mag release
10# as pic'd ... loaded ready to roll
Have a Leupy 1.5-5 pre-zeroed on a Larue mt ready to drop on for LR [goes 10.5# w/ that setup]
My GO-TO

FNcarbineT1.jpg

Iraq560.jpg

One of my teammates in Iraq ran a DSA 10" or whatever conversion on a FN Para FAL.

It ran fairly reliably, but terminal effects where rather lacking - and penetration was rather poor as well.
He went to a 16" FAL system shortly after seeing the cool points where not worth it.

I want in on this, mostly because I love posting pictures.

My brother and I have had this arguement forever. and he makes more money than me, so his stuff tends to be a litter nicer. (for now)

His Go-To battle rifle
IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

And mine

IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

The PTR-91 is the G-3 I couldn't afford, and I don't clean it as often as I should. But I've got two 5 gallon buckets of magazines, and it eats any ammo i give it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoatHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know DSA is the best. Im wanting to get a cheaper one and slap a bunch of DSA parts on it. I figured that would be easier and cheaper to build what I want. I have noticed the FAL will not be like snapping legos together like the AR15s, but I am up for the challenge. </div></div>

i would advise against slapping parts into a FAL, gonna cause some issues especially if you dont know what your doing

WOW!

A lot of guys here have some heavy hitters...

I don't have a new gen. .308 battle rifle as of yet. In the mid 80's I couln't afford a HK91 but I did get a new SAR-8 (Springfield's HK-91 clone, Greek made) and this thing eats up all kinds of ammo.

I have cycled over 2300 rds. European surplus ammo from the 70s, with the brass was dinged up and corroded with no hiccups as of yet. I also have a good friend which has a handful of FALs which also swears by them and I think you can't go wrong with DSA.

These rifles are definitely reliable and built like tanks but I don't think they can be compared to the new Generation as far as accuracy and ergonomics.

Max

It depends what your slapping around. Check the headspace (with gauges) and inspect the bolt, carrier and locking shoulder. If these are correct you should be good to go for tweaking. Also be aware of the difference in parts (Metric,Inch,Israeli) when your wrenching on stuff. I have built a "few" and its very simple to work on actually.

I consider the FAL the Browning High Power of the rifle world. They feel and point superbly. That being said I still love my PTR91 and my FAL paratrooper over my M1A for a battle rifle. If I want to do distance the M1A is the vehicle of choice.

If I had to buy a new .308 battle rifle it would be an AR-10 . I love my M1A but in a SHTF scenario I would prefer the mag insertion tech. of the AR platform since I am super familular with it from my military days , just my 2 cents

Maybe thats the reason those of us who served from the 80's till today prefer the AR style 308- Memories- Muscle Memories to be exact

Could also be the basis of my hesitation in adopting an AR based rifle. I served in the '60's, carried the M-14, and took careful note of the issues surrounding the M-16 rifle during its introductory period.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO and based of both external and terminal ballistics trying to run a .308 with a shorter than 16" barrel is uneducated.

</div></div>

The only shorter than 16" .308 that I know that does run well is SEI's 13" M14K

m14k.jpg
</div></div>

How much experience do you have with that rifle? Funny how the only one you know of that runs is an SEI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoatHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for Fallout 3, that game makes me upset because you can kill everything but children, <span style="font-weight: bold">you can enslave a few kids, but not kill them</span>. </div></div>

Dude, WTF???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoatHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for Fallout 3, that game makes me upset because you can kill everything but children, <span style="font-weight: bold">you can enslave a few kids, but not kill them</span>. </div></div>

Dude, WTF???</div></div>

Lmao

HAHA! I played Fallout 2 on the computer when I was a kid, and then Fallout 3 came out on the play station. One of the most messed up things in F2 was you could kill kids and were branded a child killer and couldnt do certain missions or people tried to kill you or whatever. But in F3, they made the kids completely invincible. But there is a mission where you trick alittle girl into following you for a surprise and she gets enslaved. You can kill a kids father, mother, and grand parents in the game, but you cant even hurt a child. You hit them with a flame thrower or a mini nuke, and they just say "stop it" and run away. It just pisses me off the thin wavy line they draw between censorship in video games. You got GTA where you can get a blow job, then kill the hooker in endless ways to get your money back, but killing kids is off limits. America pisses me off more than it makes me happy these days. I wish I was a kid again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoatHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HAHA! I played Fallout 2 on the computer when I was a kid, and then Fallout 3 came out on the play station. One of the most messed up things in F2 was you could kill kids and were branded a child killer and couldnt do certain missions or people tried to kill you or whatever. But in F3, they made the kids completely invincible. But there is a mission where you trick alittle girl into following you for a surprise and she gets enslaved. You can kill a kids father, mother, and grand parents in the game, but you cant even hurt a child. You hit them with a flame thrower or a mini nuke, and they just say "stop it" and run away. It just pisses me off the thin wavy line they draw between censorship in video games. You got GTA where you can get a blow job, then kill the hooker in endless ways to get your money back, but killing kids is off limits. America pisses me off more than it makes me happy these days. I wish I was a kid again. </div></div>

And we wonder why young kids are murdering people and raping little girls on a regular basis in America.....

Young kids have been raping and murdering people before video games. You cant blame the tv and games for bad parenting. Its not the games fault you gave it to your kid. Its not the games fault you let the kid play it more than go outside. Its not the tvs fault you use it as a babysitter. My family was poor growing up, I didnt get video games and computers until around 1998. So I had my fun playing in the bayou and getting the cops called on me for shooting squirrels with my Gamo pellet gun. I just mentioned Fallout because someone else brought it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoatHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HAHA! You got GTA where you can get a blow job, then kill the hooker in endless ways to get your money back, but killing kids is off limits. America pisses me off more than it makes me happy these days. I wish I was a kid again. </div></div>

^^^^^^^^^^ What depths has this site sunken to ?
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoatHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish I was a kid again. </div></div>

At least you still act like a kid.