• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

308 bolt gun barrel length question....

fnp45tactical

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
South Texas
hello. i have this*http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/...anced-tactical.kimber advanced tactical. 308 with 24 in tapered heavy barrel. i got it from a buddy who has a whole lot more expertise in bench/long range shooting then i. he was shooting it out to 800 yards. my question is this how much range can i expect to lose if i cut the barrel? 97% of my shots will be inside of 250 yards. should i still expect to be able to shoot a deer at 400+ yards if needed with factory ammo and a 18 barrel? 20? i live in tx and have suppressors so a 32 in overall length is a bit much. id like to cut it down to around 20 inches. i know there are lots of variables but whats the happy medium on barrel length? Thanks.

Nothing atom splitting about that article. That article is done with one type of factory ammo. It's been discussed ad nauseam here.

That said with only shots to 400 yards then a 20" barrel will be fine. You can shoot much farther with a 20". If you handload you can bump up velocity with shorter barrels.