• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing .308 Reamer Question

cwood3

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2010
Spring, TX
I'm new to doing my own barrel work, but not new to benchrest rifles, shooting, and building. I have always had my barrel work done by others based on my wants and their recommendations. For this scenario, I am putting together a .308 using a Schneider barrel. I want to choose a reamer that will allow this gun to be able to utilize factory or "match" ammo so that when the time comes that will require a stockpile, this rifle will still be able to handle it. However, I am an avid reloader and want to experiment with different loads, as I feel that every individual rifle has it's own preferred "dessert". That being said, I usually buy my reamers from Dave Kiff (PTG)....go look at his web page and notice how many flavors of .308 chambering reamers with floating heads he has. Anybody want to chime in on this? I have barrel stubs to "practice" on, so that I don't wreck my Schneider.

Thanks.....curtis

Re: .308 Reamer Question

Id say Dave Kiff will be pointing you in the direction of the SAAMI spec reamer given your need for versatility.

Respectfully:

This deviates from the original thread a bit, but it's related.

Carbide tooling is great stuff. I spend a great deal of money buying it for my CNC machinery.

That being said almost all of my chucking reamers (for general machine shop stuff) and chamber reamers for guns are made from HSS.

A HSS reamer is fine and will last for hundreds of holes before needing a tune up. Most importantly it's far, far more forgiving than carbide. I've had the misfortune of breaking a few carbide reamers over the years. It's hard on the wallet. The HSS ones deliver just as good a finish (I'd in fact say it's a touch better) and have the ability to yield a bit (give) where's carbide will snap if you look at it cross eyed.

Unless your chambering the same cartridge 500+ times a month I firmly believe you can't go wrong with a HSS reamer.

Also, FWIW I know I push my tooling quite a bit faster/harder than what is commonly done in gunland. I run my reamers between 400 and 475 RPM at a SFM rate of about 60-85. I've yet to burn one up. These are not numbers ginned from thin air. They come straight from recommended feed/speed charts easily found all over the internet and the machinery handbook.

If you experience chatter, ringing, chip weld, etc chances are its a product of poor set up, work holding, tool holding, or lack of lubrication. A tap wrench isn't a tool meant for chambering. I too used one for years and once I bit the bullet and devoted a weekend to machining my own reamer holder all the mysterious little demons went away. Now it's as simple as just plunging .15" at a time (I peck for now as my pressurized coolant rig isn't set up yet the way I want it) until I get to the final depth.

FWIW I run a 50/50 blend of Marvel oil and Castrol Moly D tapping fluid. Works great!

Good luck.

BTW, calling David at PTG is your best option as you'll be able to get the tool tailor made to your desired seating depth and bullet weight. The Bisley reamer is meant for 155 grain bullets. It was the "too have" chamber during the 2003 World Palma Champtionships as it was tight enough to shoot reasonably well while still passing the Britts chamber gauge test for the Radway Green ammunition. (host country supplies the ammo for the team events in international Palma)

Good luck.

C

cwood3 I also shoot BR. mostly Hunter Class, But my reamer for my tactical is from Kiff (PTG) for Lapua brass with .057 free bore. with .010 jam on a 175 mk. you get a col. of about 2.79... leaves some room for throat to wear and still fit bdl. mags.

I went with a PTG 308 Palma Bisley. It has a .342 neck, .3085 throat and .088 free bore. A Sierra 175 will touch the lands at 2.845. All factory ammo will chamber without any problems. Accuracy has been outstanding.

Agree about the carbide reamer advice from C. Dixon. Maybe you'd want a rougher to be carbide if doing lots of chambers, but HSS is better for finishing work; and this means doing less than ten using the finish reamer fo the whole job, plus it can be honed.

I like the Clymer 168gr National Match chamber for all around use. PTG is fine gear and have owned several. Bullet is the main criteria. If you have thousands of Berger 185s ask Dave what profile he'd go with to optimize that bullet. It is probably your best choice for longrange .308 performance. Many will tout the 175gr Sierra though. Most common factory match ammo will use the Sierra 168 which is the Clymer setup.