• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 subsonic rounds?? How do you do it????

Bullseyelr

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 28, 2009
VA
Does anyone have any info on how to make a .308 subsonic round to run through a CAN. I am using SMK BTHP 175 gr. for my regular loads w/ RL 15 powder and CCI BR-2 primers. Can I use the supplies that I already have or do I need different powder, bullets, primers???? Any help would be appreciated....Thanks

Re: .308 subsonic rounds?? How do you do it????

I use
10 grains of Trailboss
180 round nose
215 mag primers
Win or Lapua brass

Here's mine...

10.2 gr Trailboss
170 Hornady flat point
CCI 300 large pistol primers
Federal Gold Medal brass

8.0 gr. Titegroup
180 Hornady RN
WLR primer
Lapua/Federal brass
2.650" COAL

Run a patch of oil down the bore and rub a little oil on each bullet. It will keep the velocities much more consistent. This will help with the Trailboss loads listed above as well.

What twist is your barrel??

Subsonic 175 SMKs wobble badly out of my 11.25" twist Crusader.

Hornady 180 RN shoot fine.

LC LR brass
Fed 215 mag primer
10.2 Trailboss

The info on loads here is good, the caveat I would suggest also is (take the can off to try this first if you don't believe me)

Seat the spire pointed boat tails backwards in the case. The CP and CM need to align differently at subsonic velocities for stability. This is why a 175 SMK wobbles but the 180 RN doesn't. It doesn't really have to do with bullet length, it has to do with shape.

Even if your 1:10 twist will stabilize it up close I'm willing to bet that the boat tail first seating style will keep you stable well beyond what it does in "normal" configuration.

If you use the round for hunting, it makes the thing less likely to deflect off a bone and just slam right through it too.