• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 twist and grooves selection for 1000yard FT

cybersniper

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2006
Spain
www.cybersniper.com
I have just returned from Bisley European Championships and my performance has raised some questions, that I pose for first hand 308 FT/R competitive shooters:
.-I will use a BARNARD P or an S action
.- 308 BARREL FOR FT/R with 155 bullets at +/- 3000fps (Sierra and Berger)
QUESTIONS:
1.- lenght 30 or 32"?
2.- twist 1:13 or 1:14 ?
3.- groove number? four or six. That will dictate the barrel manufacturer.
Thanks
Eduardo

Re: 308 twist and grooves selection for 1000yard F

NineHotel:
I shot a BARNARD SM last week at Bisley, But I am hearing all kinds of opinions depending on the forum asked.... and just wanted to try and get some facts.
BR shooters say one thing, Palma Shooters another and we snipers have our opinion too.
I can tell you that the barrel I shot last week was a Bartlein 30", 1:12 and SAAMI chamber and shot very well at 800 and 900 and reasonably well at 1000. All with RWS NRA Target 155 sierra boxed ammo 2950fps(its difficult to travel in airlines with reloaded ammo).
Just needed some opinions.
Thanks
ed

Berger web site recommends 1:13 for the 155 Fullbore.

If you are stuck shooting F-T/R with 155gr bullets, I would suggest a 1:13 twist, 32 inches (to get as much speed as possible) and however many grooves you want. I do not believe the number of grooves makes a difference either way, so I would err on the "less is more" side and chose 4 grooves.

Hi Eudardo

You should have talked to the two UK guys Stuart Anselam and Russell Simmons about their impressions of the 1-14 twist they both were shooting this twist with the 155 lapua scenars. I Believe Russell won it all this year. However the more common twist is the 13 and according to the Miller formula is able to stabilize all the 155s Saying that guys have won with barrels twists from 12-14. Pick a barrel maker you are comfortable with and has a good reputation you should do ok. A smith that does an excellent chambering job should be high on the list. I think both Russell and Stuart were using True flight barrels.
I would choose a 32inch my understanding is that the longer barrel increase velocity and also reduces ES and SD.

I can’t comment on 4 or 6 groove not familiar enough with the difference.

Barnard’s are great actions smooth triggers, short bolt throws excellent lock up…..but heavy. I am currently having a F/TR built and no matter what configuration I tried I couldn’t make weight with the P action or the smaller S action The P weighs 48oz, the S is 40oz but still 8oz heavier then the Remington clones. I wanted to stay with Nightforce optics and a heavy palma barrel.