• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Cheytac improved (snipetac)

Geno C.

Dirty Carnie
Minuteman
  • Oct 24, 2007
    Wautoma, WI
    Figured I’d start a little conversation about this since there isn’t a whole lot to be found. I got a deal on a reamer and figured I should snatch it up.
    378F5E0D-44A5-4A8A-8781-F66EB83FA388.jpeg

Reactions: Skunkworx
    But think how fast a 300gr Berger would get to that mile target! ?
    I’m thinking it would be almost boring.
    I enjoy the challenge of my 260 there.

What’s your estimated muzzle speed with the 300’s?

I do have a private ranch I get invited to a couple times a year.

2000 to 4000 yards Is easily doable there but I’d want a spot where I could could go more often.

Reactions: Geno C.
    12ish Mils to a mile and 25ish Mils to 2500 yards!
    Yeowza!

Yep! Comparable to the 375CT without the pain in the ass 50 BMG press requirements or humongous action. CheyTac has an advantage with the heavier bullets, but that is understandable given the bore size to bullet lengths. A 350+ grain .338 would be like a bus.

Hi,

285gr Flatlines or one of the other monos in the 270gr range ?.

Sincerely,
    Theis
    George at badlands is trying to get me to run a 1-7 for his real heavy solid. He didn’t tell me about it until after I already had the 1-8. A lot of people tried to tell me that it was to fast already.

At nearly jacket-ripping speeds! 3300 FPS is very appreciable for a 300g pill.
    I’m fairly confident that the jackets will stay together. We will find out how hard I can push them though! Powder charge in the 140ish range I’m guessing

I’m fairly confident that the jackets will stay together. We will find out how hard I can push them though! Powder charge in the 140ish range I’m guessing

Oh yeah, should be fine there. I meant that semi-jokingly, hehe. 139g to 142g or so of H50BMG is what I was seeing around.

Figured I’d start a little conversation about this since there isn’t a whole lot to be found. I got a deal on a reamer and figured I should snatch it up.
    The trick to 338 SnipeTac is forming a false shoulder that will cam the case head into the bolt when fire forming. I just made a 375 Cheytac to 338 SnipeTac false shoulder forming die with the chamber reamer. The second op is with a neck die.
    69A1EE1E-A09C-41E1-BEFD-A16D75A12665.png

Cheers,

The trick to 338 SnipeTac is forming a false shoulder that will cam the case head into the bolt when fire forming. I just made a 375 Cheytac to 338 SnipeTac false shoulder forming die with the chamber reamer. The second op is with a neck die.
    View attachment 7163959
    Cheers,
    Or buy Bertram snipetac brass?

Don’t be shy; share some load info?

Or buy Bertram snipetac brass?

Don’t be shy; share some load info?
    I went down the SnipeTac road long before dedicated brass was available. All these images are Bertram brass.
    I will say that a 300gn Sierra moving 3500FPS will put a hole in 1/2” AR500 at 100y. There’s at least one hide member that has a picture of his center punched plate...
    32BD6F82-57CB-4CF8-AEF3-BF215317098E.png
    6DF19F9A-D461-4A6B-AD08-544DEF45C95C.png

Cheers,

Those dies sure do look purdy. Where did they come from?
    I made them. Left to right: resizer, neck bushing sizer, and seater.
    I only use the neck bushing sizer for initial fire forming; because, the virgin case neck wall is different for each manufacturer and lot. I neck turn to uniform dimensions after fire forming.
    Cheers,

Which is which from left to right if you would please?

Thank you
    I wondered if anyone would notice that line up...
    Left- virgin Bertram 375 case
    Center- virgin Petersen 375 case
    Right- Bertram 338 SnipeTac 256gn Flatline round
    Cheers,

Left and center are already necked down though, correct?
    I think you’re asking about the second image showing just the neck and shoulders. The confusion is my fault. I didn’t mean to send the first image with the two cases and one round.

I wanted to post the neck and shoulders image to show the difference between just necking down and forming a false shoulder.
    For the second image
    Left- 375 case necked down to 338 with a false shoulder.
    Center- 375 case necked down to 338
    Right- virgin 375 case

Cheers,

I think you’re asking about the second image showing just the neck and shoulders. The confusion is my fault. I didn’t mean to send the first image with the two cases and one round.

I wanted to post the neck and shoulders image to show the difference between just necking down and forming a false shoulder.
    For the second image
    Left- 375 case necked down to 338 with a false shoulder.
    Center- 375 case necked down to 338
    Right- virgin 375 case

Cheers,
    Thank you

I have a hydraulic die from Viers for forming. In 2010, I had a lot of fun with 300 scenars; later the first Berger hybrids. Settled on a load of 142 grains of H50BMG; brass would last about 6 firings. IIRC there were folks pushing 150 grains but the brass wouldn't last but two firings. Somewhere I have pictures of a failed case that split about 3/4" up from the base.

Cases that fail that far up are almost always caused by a headspace problem; either on the initial firing or from resizing too much

Reactions: hypertex