• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 FED Build Help

Quiet6.8

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2017
UT
Hello The SnipersHide,
I have been slowly gathering parts for a 338Federal AR10 build. So far I have a 16” Wilson Combat with intermediate gas, a standard 2aArmament Ti gas block, and a heavy (tungsten)JPSCS. I have on order both a 2aArmament Ti regulated BCG and a JP variable mass BCG (standard). If I chose to run the JP BCG will I need to install an adjustable GB? Or will the combination of the heavy SCS along with the variable mass BCG suffice? Would I need to upgrade to the tungsten BCG weights? This build will be run suppressed with a SiCo Hybrid46.
Thanks for your input,
Cris from UT

IMHO, It will depend on your gas port size.

I am not familiar enough with a 338 Fed. barrel to offer any meaningful advice.

FWIW... I run Adj. GB's on all my Large Frame AR's.... various brands and barrel lengths, various gas system lengths ( mid and rifle ) in both 308 and 6.5CM

That said, I have only one Large Frame barrel that has had what I consider a "appropriate" gas port size... The Krieger.

My FN's , Criterion's , Faxon, BA, PSA barrels, all have been "over-gassed" to me and have SLR Adj. GB's with heavy buffer weights and Tubbs Flatwire 308 recoil springs.

Reactions: Earnhardt
Is there any reason you don’t want an adjustable gas block? I’ve got over 15 in my stable of various brands. My preferred are jp and larue.

Reactions: Earnhardt
Is there any reason you don’t want an adjustable gas block? I’ve got over 15 in my stable of various brands. My preferred are jp and larue.
The 2aArmament RBCG has a gas adjustment screw in the carrier, so an AGB is not needed. That was my planned BCG until I did some research on the JP VMBCG, but with the additional reciprocating mass I was unsure if one was needed