• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.338 lapua build

patrick021

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2011
Can anyone tell me anything about the montana actions or another action to build a .338 lapua from?

Re: .338 lapua build

If you are talking about these: http://www.montanarifleco.com/Professional%20Hunter.html

I've heard good things, but not really about precision rifles. They are Dakota 76 competition. Of course, the Longbow is a excellent precision rifle by any measure.

More traditionally the Mauser style is a "hunters" action, while the 700 and its decedents are more traditionally "precision" actions.

"Precision" rifle parts (triggers, stocks, etc) will be more limited than is available for a Stiller, Bat, et. all. Just something to keep in mind.

Cheers!

My vote is on the Stiller with longer tenon thread. And a heavy duty bolt with a hard to beat extractor. The rail is pinned to keep it from moving side to side. It is defiantly made for the heavy calibers instead of adapting it to heavy calibers. Best of luck.

which trigger guard with detatchable mag should i put on a stiller action in .338 lapua mag?

I'd look at the Surgeon XL 1581 action. It comes with bottom metal and mag and is an excellent action to build a 338 LM on. The rail and the recoil lug are integral on this action and therefore will never get loose. I've been behind a lot of Surgeon XL actions and can tell you that you won't be disappointed.

Dustin Morris

Id take a good hard look at both the Stiller and the Surgeon as referenced above. I have had experience with rifles built on actions from both manufactures and was very impressed with the quality of both.

Man I wish I had the money to build a Surgeon or Stiller up. Those look awesome!

I am building a 338LM on a stiller action which bottom metal and detatchable mag should i look at ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dustin Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd look at the Surgeon XL 1581 action. It comes with bottom metal and mag and is an excellent action to build a 338 LM on. The rail and the recoil lug are integral on this action and therefore will never get loose. I've been behind a lot of Surgeon XL actions and can tell you that you won't be disappointed.

Dustin Morris</div></div>

+1 for the 1581 xl, just got one from bugholes on here, for my .338 lm build, built like a tank