• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua Magnum

I’ve been contemplating a 338 lapua or NM with a fast twist and 260 or 285 badlands and a long barrel for quite a while.
Fairly affordable ELR combination with more poop than my 7 saum.
Yea just hear some, or read. That lighter is better. Was just thinking of giving it a try. Was looking at CEB 277 gr.

I'm going to be trying us869 and vvn560. I heard good stuff about the n560.ill probly make up a few loads tommarow

338 lapua magnum, case trim length is 2.714
Bullet seating depth is 3.681
Sized with a fl redding sizing die.
Did not bump shoulder back any.iv never reloded for 338 so im not sure what is going on with this. I tried to chamber it and it wouldn't chamber im assuming the shoulder needs to be bumped back but a non fired empty case chambers just fine so it makes me think the seating depth is off but I went by the specs I could find on it any help is much appreciated. Iv only been reloding for a couple years and never ran into this problem before.

Attachments

• 20201229_185848.jpg
    20201229_185848.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 228
Did not bump shoulder back any.iv never reloded for 338 so im not sure what is going on with this. I tried to chamber it and it wouldn't chamber im assuming the shoulder needs to be bumped back but a non fired empty case chambers just fine so it makes me think the seating depth is off but I went by the specs I could find on it any help is much appreciated. Iv only been reloding for a couple years and never ran into this problem before.

I take it your brass is new. Also, you loaded pretty much to specs. That is what all ammo is loaded too. ie... LM factory ammo, to 3.681. Could be wrong on that. But I believe that's what most are loaded to. I had that problem on neck sizing. Thats why I changed to FL sizing. Also, I see you're sizing with a FL die. I would try, and bump one back. See if that was the issue.

Also just looked at pick. Your shoulder doesn't look right. Seems like the neck is pushed down a little. Over sized maybe, if thats a better term.

Reactions: rady
I see its pushed back but wasn't sure why exactly.i don't have a book for lapua magnum. The books I have doesn't cover it unfortunately.the throat pushed back when I tried to chamber it. A diffrent empty case chambers just fine and it was resized same as the one in the picture.i guess I could try to seat the bullet a little deeper to see if that would work.i just wasn't sure if it would need the shoulder bumped back or seating depth more.

I see its pushed back but wasn't sure why exactly.i don't have a book for lapua magnum. The books I have doesn't cover it unfortunately.the throat pushed back when I tried to chamber it. The empty case chambers just fine and it was resized same as the one in the picture.i guess I could try to seat the bullet a little deeper to see if that would work.i just wasn't sure if it would need the shoulder bumped back or seating depth more.
Well your shoulder shouldn't look that way. Is what I'm saying. Uh, how did you set up your die. Did you raise the press all the way up, with shell holder in it. Then screw your die in till it touches shellholder. Then from there you should adjust lower if need be. ie... bumping shoulder back.

Try it that way, and you will see a difference. Or, you should put it that way. Hopefully it fixes the problem.

I watched a video where the guy said if the case doesn't chamber rite u can turn the die in a half to full turn and it would fix the case to where it will chamber rite but I haven't tried it yet because a empty case that I have resized already chambers just fine. I guess I could try to turn in the die a half turn and go from there and hopefully it will bump it back enough. If it doesn't work I'll wait to get a book that covers it.

I watched a video where the guy said if the case doesn't chamber rite u can turn the die in a half to full turn and it would fix the case to where it will chamber rite but I haven't tried it yet because a empty case that I have resized already chambers just fine. I guess I could try to turn in the die a half turn and go from there and hopefully it will bump it back enough. If it doesn't work I'll wait to get a book that covers it.
[/QUO
Half a turn might be to much. Go with about an 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. To start out, better way to see what you need. Unless you know you need more. Then 1/2 would be ok.

Reactions: Dobbins38

The problem is that your seating die is not properly adjusted. You have the die screwed in too far so it is trying to crimp the neck while the seating stem is still trying to seat the bullet in deeper. This results in crushing and deforming the entire neck and shoulder of the case.

Back off the seating die a full turn to start and back out the seating stem. Run a sized empty case without any powder or bullet and the case dimensions on the neck shouldn't change. Then charge a case, seat a bullet and adjust the seating stem to get the desired seating depth.

It may not be necessary to bump the shoulders back any on once fired brass. My Lapua brass in .338LM took three firings before any shoulders needed to be bumped.

Edit to add; I've got the same RPR. It likes the Hornady 285 gr. ELD-M with H1000 & 215M. Good luck! It's a blast.

The neck was fine till I tried to chamber the round . then the bolt wouldn't close all the way so I extracted the round and the neck was pushed back as in the picture.thats why its got me stumped on whats wrong.this is the first time iv reloded for bolt action rifles. I usually load 223/5.56 or 9mm so iv never ran into this problem before

You mentioned in post #112 that another sized case chambers just fine. It pretty much narrows it down to seating. I highly doubt that this was done during chambering. It would have taken a lot of force.

Try doing what I suggested in post #115. You shouldn't have to taper crimp this cartridge. When you run a sized empty case through the seating die, you should feel no resistance. To set the seating die adjustment, run a sized empty case all the way up in your die, then screw the die down until you feel contact, then back the die off 1/4 or 1/2 turn and set the lock ring. This method will not taper crimp when seating.

Last edited:
Reactions: secondofangle2
I'm going to be trying us869 and vvn560. I heard good stuff about the n560.ill probly make up a few loads tommarow

I've been using the N560 and it has been a great powder for me. I'm using the Redding comp die set and shellholders.

Hornady brass
Winchester LRM primers
250g Lapua Scenars
83g powder
case at 2.720
neck tension at .010 under bullet diameter
cant remember seating depth as my log book isn't in front of me, but i am .020 off the lands
average velocity is around 2,770fps on a 26" kreiger barrel, 1/10 twist.

You mentioned in post #112 that another sized case chambers just fine. It pretty much narrows it down to seating. I highly doubt that this was done during chambering. It would have taken a lot of force.

Try doing what I suggested in post #117. You shouldn't have to taper crimp this cartridge. When you run a sized empty case through the seating die, you should feel no resistance. To set the seating die adjustment, run a sized empty case all the way up in your die, then screw the die down until you feel contact, then back the die off 1/4 or 1/2 turn and set the lock ring. This method will not taper crimp when seating.
Ok ill give that a try today thanks for ur help.

Reactions: Howland
Has anyone heard anything about the primers that was suspost to be ordered and when was the deposit needed to be put down.

Are you serious. Damn I thought it was going to happen. I wonder what happened for him to not proceed with it

Barrett MRAD
26" Barrel w/ over 3300 rds through it
300 gr Scenar
80 gr IMR 7828SSC (7828 non-SSC would work better with full case fill but it's all I have left)
Fed GM 215M
Lapua 5x brass (neck turned, donuts cut out, inside reamed, and on its way out) Always FL sized and annealed every firing
2.888 CBTO I think comes out to 3.620 OAL
2620 FPS (slow but I only shoot to 1k)
SD 6.5 ES was 23 I think.

This barrel still shoots. This was last Sunday.

Attachments

• IMG_1505.jpg
    IMG_1505.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1506.jpg
    IMG_1506.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 219
Either your projectile is jamming into the lands and pushing the neck in (unlikely unless you have too much neck tension), or you need to trim the brass after sizing. Is this never-fired brass? Does a fresh piece chamber by itself? If it doesn't, make sure you FL size the brass and trim it.

I just scored 5lbs of imr 8133. Anybody have a good recope for 300's? What primers give it the low es-sd?

Yea just hear some, or read. That lighter is better. Was just thinking of giving it a try. Was looking at CEB 277 gr.
I've been using the CEB 275MTH since I do both hunting and target with mine. I wanted just 1 load that could do both so I don't have to screw with it as much. Got to say I'm real happy with it. You don't have to shoot the heaviest bullet you can all the time.

I've been using the CEB 275MTH since I do both hunting and target with mine. I wanted just 1 load that could do both so I don't have to screw with it as much. Got to say I'm real happy with it. You don't have to shoot the heaviest bullet you can all the time.
Good to know! Do they prefer one powder over another. Have quite a bit of Ramshot Mag. That's what works well for me with my current load. Would just like to know before I purchase some.

Good to know! Do they prefer one powder over another. Have quite a bit of Ramshot Mag. That's what works well for me with my current load. Would just like to know before I purchase some.
I have not tried Ramshot.
I'm using RL25 right now and getting good results. I don't really have a preference for it. It was just between that and H1000 at the time and it was on hand. I did try H1000 first as many suggest and my rifle with that power/bullet combo was not having it. So RL25 was an easy choice between the two.
I want to try Rutumbo but have not been able to find any for a year like many and now that the powder shortage is happening I won't anytime soon.
I was considering trying out Magpro once I run out of RL25 if I can't find retumbo by then. I have a lot of Magpro sitting around because I use it for my other Magnums with extremely good results.

I have not tried Ramshot.
I'm using RL25 right now and getting good results. I don't really have a preference for it. It was just between that and H1000 at the time and it was on hand. I did try H1000 first as many suggest and my rifle with that power/bullet combo was not having it. So RL25 was an easy choice between the two.
I want to try Rutumbo but have not been able to find any for a year like many and now that the powder shortage is happening I won't anytime soon.
I was considering trying out Magpro once I run out of RL25 if I can't find retumbo by then. I have a lot of Magpro sitting around because I use it for my other Magnums with extremely good results.
Thanks for info. Will just try with what I got too, then. Yea got plenty of RM like I said. So will give a try and hope it works out. Thanks again!

91.0 grains 7977 enduron
300 grain hornady a tip
2675 fps
3.646 coal
Using hornady cases at the moment
Winchester wlrm primers

I have a question about winchester cases. I bought 140 rds of new in bag cases and havent used them yet, but after reading about the varying results of hornady brass i was wondering if anyone had tried the winchester brass and could weigh in.

91.0 grains 7977 enduron
300 grain hornady a tip
2675 fps
3.646 coal
Using hornady cases at the moment
Winchester wlrm primers

I have a question about winchester cases. I bought 140 rds of new in bag cases and havent used them yet, but after reading about the varying results of hornady brass i was wondering if anyone had tried the winchester brass and could weigh in.

I've used Winchester cases before without problems but never for 338LM. The things to look for quality related is primer pockets not loosening up, case consistency in dimensions, weight, etc. Hornady does have a reputation for primer pockets getting loose. Most folks choose Lapua, ADG, Peterson, etc. because of that. Performance of the load you've developed will likely change when you change any component. You'll just have to try them and find out.

I've used Winchester cases before without problems but never for 338LM. The things to look for quality related is primer pockets not loosening up, case consistency in dimensions, weight, etc. Hornady does have a reputation for primer pockets getting loose. Most folks choose Lapua, ADG, Peterson, etc. because of that. Performance of the load you've developed will likely change when you change any component. You'll just have to try them and find out.
Yeah i wanted lapua brass pretty bad, but i only had 100 rds of mixed brass and wanted something to try new. I bought 3 boxes of hornady, 1 10 rd box of sb, and a box of berger 300 grains. Kinda doing break in i ran the sb cases 11 reloads to get an idea of case longevity and they are still shootable but probably not the most accurate at this point. Thanks for the advice. Honestly im new here and know i shouldnt be talking alot but im kinda going crazy for some human contact and i forgot how awesome the whole forums were. I really appreciate it.

Accuracy won't degrade in any particular case just from repeated firings except if you aren't annealing. The brass will become work hardened with more springback and increase neck tension. Switching from one brand/lot to another will slightly alter your load as well.

Don't apologize for being new to the game or asking questions. I've learned a lot here. It makes no sense to reinvent the wheel by yourself.

I watch alot of gunblue on youtube. So i have been annealing from the start. I just have a teracotta pot on a bearing. I anneal in a water bath. I honestly havent noticed much difference yet in my groups. Shot out to 400 the other day and had about 2" between em. Not great but it was windy and im still learning. That said i did nail a beer can at 350 in one shot that day as well. I also have the magpul art of the precision rifle which has been pretty helpful since i bought it lol. Im still lacking though. I need a kestrel and a spotting scope still.

Shooting a 300smk out of a 32” barrel:

88.0 grains of H1000=2,800fps
91.0 grains of H1000=2,870fps

Just need to do a little more testing to ensure the accuracy isn’t affected. The initial results looked promising though. This seems to line up pretty closely with load data earlier in the thread. I’m Curious how fast 91.5gr of h1000 would be....

I found I've always had to FL size LM brass. In your pic it looks like you might have had too much neck tension and seating the bullet pushed the neck into the shoulder some. Do you have a turning or expanding mandrel die by chance to set the neck tension? I stopped using my very expensive bushing die and using a FL die on my 338LM along with a 21st Century Shooting turning mandrel right before seating. I also anneal every firing and ream the donuts out of the inside of the necks every 2 or 3 firings.

It's a tad bit too slow in most cases. If it's all you can get though, it'll push 300gr bullets at speeds similar to Ramshot LRT (not great, but not terrible - just safe). In a .338LM Improved it's actually a much better fit - still not as efficient as N570 or RL33, but in these times...

Reactions: AR-180
If it is of any use to anyone, believe I have managed to develop a load for my Desert Tech SRS 338LM, 26", 1 in 10, Desert Tech Barrel. But would appreciate thoughts on my conclusions re optimum load (95.6gn)
No of rounds through Barrel - 190 I understand that the optimum load may change as the Barrel round count increases.
I do not have any velocity Data, currently using a Pipe range so my chrono won't work.
300gn Lapua Scenar
95.6gn RS80
Redding Die with 0.365" Bush,
0.336" Mandrel => 0.002" neck tension
BTS - 2.324 =>0.002" Bump
OTB - 2.947 => 0.040" Jump
Below is the series of 3rnd groups between 95.5 and 95.8gns, but, I have a problem with the fundamentals and I am consistently producing groups consisting of two rounds impacting close together and one stood off, typically shown in the 95.7gn group. I am going to call the optimum load 95.6gn and put down the slightly larger grouping of the 95.6 & 95.7 series down to operator error.
1620578504168.png

Thoughts greatly appreciated

I tested some loads at 300 yards with 285 ELDs and 24N41. It looks like 95 grains is going to get me a consistent 2,560 FPS. That will work until I can find Re25 again.

Anybody have a good load with us869 powder and 300 smk bullets?
The us869 is the only powder I could find in stock at the time.

That's definitely too slow - you'll max out around 2300fps out of a 26" barrel with a fill rate of 99%.

Wouldn’t have thought it would be that slow?
Hodgdon and Sierra load data show max FPS at 2650ish with 300 smk.
I have never used the powder first hand though.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
I finally got around to building a load with LRT. 100 grains pushes a 285 eld at 2,800 for me.

The 24n41 was fine out to about 1,300 yards. The LRT load is capable to a mile.

The 285 eld is a really nice bullet. Based on my dope and speeds, the bc of 0.8 seems legit.