• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

338 lapua vs 338 AI... need educated opinions!

Please give your opinions! Is hunting down an improved reamer (if I can find one) worth it?

• Total voters

Nomad909

Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2017
SH members, I need some help.

I was fortunate enough to pick up a certificate for accurate ordinance and the team down there has been nothing but patient and awesome to work with. Here's my intentions:

I'm using a stiller tac 338 action in an xlr chassis. Weight is zero issue and I dont care to magazine feed it, top loading is what I'm planning on for purely performance. This is my "canyon rifle" I plan on using an extremely heavy barrel profile finished at ~30". I'll be using either 300g smk or 300g otms. I'm hoping at achieve 3000ish fps.

Now here's my predicament:

Accurate ordinance does not carry a 338 AI ( 338 lapua improved) reamer. That was my first option. I've read it gets about 100 to 150 fps more than a normal 338. They did tell me though that they already have a set up for a long throated normal 338 lapua and it would give me my desired results. I've been heart set on the 338 improved mostly because this is a performance build and I'm totally fine with single feeding but I'm having trouble finding a reamer to rent to complete this build...

My 338LM has a 29” barrel and is throated long for a 3.950” COAL, rifle is a DTS SRS. With the Berger 300gr OTM and 96gr of Retumbo I’m getting 2890fps, it’s possible the barrel may speed up some as it has a little under 100 rounds on it. This load is still a little under 100% fill, it’s an accurate load so I’ve not pushed any further.

Since you are looking at a single feed have you considered the 33XC?

Why not a .338NM or even a .300NM? Designed to be mag fed with the highest BC bullets, with similar ballistic performance to it's .338LM counterparts.

That's what I would do.

I have both a standard 338LM and a 338 LM Improved. Remember, just because it can go faster does not mean the accurate load will be found there. On the other hand I’ll never do a standard 338LM again. Improving the shoulder eliminates case growth after the 2-3 firing. Not so with the standard.

I have a load for fire forming that’s stupid accurate. Barrel life is not a concern for a 338lm so fire-forming is not an issue. Widden Gunworks made me a set of die for the improved after I lose the original set. Mag length has never been an issue, but I’m running the 250 class bullets.

If they can cut you a chamber that runs 300 class bullets in an improved chamber that will also mag feed, you’ll be the coolest kid in the block. Just my experience, hope this helps.

Reactions: Nomad909
3000 FPS with 300 grain bullets... 338 AI or 338 NM. 30 - 32” barrel, RL33 or N570 will be your tickets to success.

I don’t believe 3000 FPS is going to be an option with a long-throated 338LM. Not if you plan on reusing the brass more than twice.

Reactions: Nomad909
A picture is worth.....

Attachments

• 5458993F-51D7-44ED-9D30-34451CA647C6.jpeg
    5458993F-51D7-44ED-9D30-34451CA647C6.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 1,552
Really not interested in the 338 norma or 33xc... @OLD308 thanks for the information, thats very helpful. Exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Another question for everyone:

Anyone know where I can rent a reamer??? Accurate ordinance wont use PTG either

Out of curiosity, why are you excluding the .338 Norma?

To me it seems like a more modern optimized version of .338LM, with a case design made to use the high BC projectiles while still retaining the ability to mag feed.

Just seems like a better version of the .338LM. However, I don't have either (I do have a .300NM though).

I've found 300 gr projectiles leaving the muzzle at 3000 FPS with a 30" 338 LM Improved running 99-100 gr of US869.