• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 Norma Mag recoil?

trigger29

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2011
SD
I'm considering building my first custom, and was considering going the .338 Norma route. I'm not a fan of muzzle brakes though. I was wondering how the recoil will compare from a approximately 10# Wby Accumark in .300 Wby pushing a 208 A-Max to a .338 Norma pushing a 300 gr. to say 2800? Thinking about aiming for a rifle weight in the 14-15# range. Unless recoil would be unbearable, then I either need to brake it, or build heavier. I've looked it up on a recoil calculator, and it says this.

.300 Wby ----------------------------- .338 Norma
recoil impulse 4.21 LB/Sec ------------ 5.25

firearm recoil velocity 13.55 fps-------11.67

free recoil energy 28.53 ft/lbs -------- 30.64

These numbers don't mean a whole lot to me. I gather that the .300 may be a sharper, quicker recoil, but not hit as hard? I shoot the .300 a lot, and it doesn't bother me to sit and put 30 or so rounds down the tube in a session. Would the recoil difference be noticable..... or staggering?
Thanks for you input guys.

Re: .338 Norma Mag recoil?

I would not enjoy a Norma or Lapua without a brake. I am not a fan of recoil though. I have shot braked .338 Norma rifles that were more than I was comfortable with.

But, .300 Weatherby, especially in a light weight hunting rifle, recoils like a bear! If you are comfortable with it, .338 probably won't be too bad for you.

I've shot both of mine Norma and LM without brakes, not something I would enjoy for any length of time!

I shot a 338 Edge with H285's unbraked a month ago. I'm guessing the rifle weighed 17 lbs. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Didn't hurt anyways.

Trigger29, I think from my little time with a 13-14 pound 338 norma with a break the combo you are speaking of will rattle you a bit. One thing to consider is that stocks have a lot to do with felt recoil, a well designed one will lessen the felt recoil a bad one will amplify it. Also how you employ the rifle, I think off hand is the best way to handle heavy recoil.

The recoil will tear your shoulder off at the socket, and if you don't close one eye, the other one will pop out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrooperBrian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The recoil will tear your shoulder off at the socket, and if you don't close one eye, the other one will pop out. </div></div>This I highly doubt... Not to be a dick, but thanks for you great insight on my question. I'm sure I'd never be able to make a decision without it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trigger29, I think from my little time with a 13-14 pound 338 norma with a break the combo you are speaking of will rattle you a bit. One thing to consider is that stocks have a lot to do with felt recoil, a well designed one will lessen the felt recoil a bad one will amplify it. Also how you employ the rifle, I think off hand is the best way to handle heavy recoil. </div></div>Right now looking at a Manners T4A. Need to find one to play with first, but it seems so far to be in line with what I want. How they are for recoil, I can't say until I find one. The Bell & Carlson on my Accumark seems to do a good job of "hiding" recoil, as it doesn't bother me at all. Thanks for the response. That kind of first hand info I was looking for. Sounds like you wouldn't consider shooting it without the brake?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger29</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrooperBrian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The recoil will tear your shoulder off at the socket, and if you don't close one eye, the other one will pop out. </div></div>This I highly doubt... Not to be a dick, but thanks for you great insight on my question. I'm sure I'd never be able to make a decision without it.
</div></div>

Well you are being a DICK. The guy is just saying it will kick the shit out of you. You might be man enough to take it, but I doubt you will be very accurate.

I HAD a 11 lb 338 ultra without a brake. Off a bench was a struggle to not flinch, prone I shot it once and that was more than enough, hunting with it wasn't bad.

If you want this to be a paper puncher go heavier or a brake, for a hunting gun I think you will be fine.

I've shot both 338LM and 338 norma with heavy bullets, I shot both with brakes and or supressed. I doubt I would like either of them without one or the other. But your 300 Wby 10 pound rifle ain't no slouch! You might find sombody on here you could meet up with and shoot one. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger29</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrooperBrian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The recoil will tear your shoulder off at the socket, and if you don't close one eye, the other one will pop out. </div></div>This I highly doubt... Not to be a dick, but thanks for you great insight on my question. I'm sure I'd never be able to make a decision without it.
</div></div>

Well you are being a DICK. The guy is just saying it will kick the shit out of you. You might be man enough to take it, but I doubt you will be very accurate. </div></div>I guess I read it as just being a smartass. Kinda hard to read someones tone through a post I guess. I went, and read some of his other posts after thinking about my own, and he seems helpful. So I jumped to conclusions.......And was a dick. Sorry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shot both 338LM and 338 norma with heavy bullets, I shot both with brakes and or supressed. I doubt I would like either of them without one or the other. But your 300 Wby 10 pound rifle ain't no slouch! You might find sombody on here you could meet up with and shoot one. Good luck. </div></div>Hmm. For 2 years I shot a .300 Wby in a rifle that tipped the scales at 7 1/2 Lbs, scoped. It wasn't a real treat to shoot, but it was SCARY accurate, and I put about 1000 rounds through it before trading it for the accumark. I'd probably still have it, but the Accumark was left handed, and cheap.
A 185 gr. bullet at 3180 out of a 7 1/2 lb rifle will get your attention! It wasn't bad on the shoulder, but the 3 1/2" eye relief scope made me a bit uncomfortable. It never bit me, but I always feared that it would one day.

Apologies, I was quoting a post I read a few months ago, just being a smartass.
laugh.gif

See here:

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3387/308recoil.jpg

No apologies needed. I should know better than to post after a really horrible night of work, when I'm angry anyway. I kinda went off my rocker.
Anyway, I think I'm going to build it. I'm planning to have the barrel threaded when It's built, and it'll probably get a suppressor when I can afford one, which should help some. I assume if I thread it for a suppressor, I could just as easily screw a brake on it if it's too much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger29</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No apologies needed. I should know better than to post after a really horrible night of work, when I'm angry anyway. I kinda went off my rocker.
Anyway, I think I'm going to build it. I'm planning to have the barrel threaded when It's built, and it'll probably get a suppressor when I can afford one, which should help some. I assume if I thread it for a suppressor, I could just as easily screw a brake on it if it's too much.</div></div>

That's exactly what I'm doing, I'll just use a brake (ugh) while I save up for a nice can.