• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338LM Mythbusting :) VIDEO POSTED

Re: 338LM Mythbusting :)

Fredo..Glad you finally posted with the details. And yes before anyone brings it up...my math is/was different than Fredos' because he counted the 9 times that I fired as part of the "total" fired. I did not due to completely different shooter and completely different ammo. Including those would be like if you were out shooting your 260 at 500yds and you fired 7 shoots into awesome group then you let another shooter shooting different ammo shoot the last 3 shoots for your 10rd group
smile.gif

Also as SR90 and Fredo mentioned..we went out for second session of this and brought along a little more equipment and manpower so that we could video at shooting position AND downrange close to target position. I will have those pics and video up soon.

Thanks

reticle.jpg

Good point as usual Later. I started counting from 1st round fired, not first round that I fired.

Thanks for posting the reticle photo so they can see the hold I was trying to describe.

Later, SR90, Fredo:

Nice work gents. Thanks for taking the time to do the tests, and posting your findings.

Much is learned by doing. Theory only takes us so far.

The effort was all theirs, I just invited myself out there and had them take me to the range.
laugh.gif

You should consider my tactic and head out there shoot the HTI .50 when it's ready, Utah is great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fredo..Glad you finally posted with the details. And yes before anyone brings it up...my math is/was different than Fredos' because he counted the 9 times that I fired as part of the "total" fired. I did not due to completely different shooter and completely different ammo. Including those would be like if you were out shooting your 260 at 500yds and you fired 7 shoots into awesome group then you let another shooter shooting different ammo shoot the last 3 shoots for your 10rd group
smile.gif

Also as SR90 and Fredo mentioned..we went out for second session of this and brought along a little more equipment and manpower so that we could video at shooting position AND downrange close to target position. I will have those pics and video up soon.

Thanks

reticle.jpg
</div></div>

If thats the target at 2700+, then thats not nearly as bad as I was thinking it might be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The effort was all theirs, I just invited myself out there and had them take me to the range.
laugh.gif

You should consider my tactic and head out there shoot the HTI .50 when it's ready, Utah is great. </div></div>

Fredo...you're right! I need to get my butt out there, check out the shop, and get my order in for an HTI!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lrs50bmg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The effort was all theirs, I just invited myself out there and had them take me to the range.
laugh.gif

You should consider my tactic and head out there shoot the HTI .50 when it's ready, Utah is great. </div></div>

Fredo...you're right! I need to get my butt out there, check out the shop, and get my order in for an HTI! </div></div>

I think both of you have the right idea,lol. Again good job to those involved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like just a little bit of cant would send the round way off left or right. </div></div>

YEP but that pic was as close as we could get the rifle to stand still and pose for picture for us
smile.gif

When I'm taking a "thru the scope pic' with my digital camera, I've discovered that I can ZOOM in maybe to 1.5X or 2X magnification, which will take out the Butler cap covers & make the reticle & target appear larger.....

Military E-type target at 1000 yard on 14x magnification...camera zoomed in just a tad.....
1000YdScopepic.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunGuru727</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Impressive </div></div>

+1

This is one of sr90's groups (indicated by the paint cans and lid above and little arrow below)

Corbon Factory 300gr Scenars, the DTA SRS 338LM and Prototype suppressor. Pretty good showing for the new Factory Ammo and Can at 2700 yards.

2707YardGroup.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This is one of sr90's groups (indicated by the paint cans and lid above and little arrow below)

Corbon Factory 300gr Scenars, the DTA SRS 338LM and Prototype suppressor. Pretty good showing for the new Factory Ammo and Can at 2700 yards.

2707YardGroup.jpg
</div></div>

which gun is that in the picture ?

Desert Tactical Arms SRS 338LM with their new Can.

Tag for video. Thank you for all your work on this! I never doubted the rifle could do it, only that 3 for 3 was pushing it. However, I think that there is a heavy slant (from the media side) on this story that is blowing it out of proportion. My thinking is that there were some sighters, and the shooter in a more stable position, but you never know. A 40gr .22lr bullet can kill quite handily at subsonic speeds, imagine a 250 or 300gr bullet!

Branden

Im starting to think nobody really took any video
cool.gif

grin.gif

Nice shooting SR90!

Anybody shoot SMK's at that range? From what I have read they are not stable past sonic....

Scope is s&b's new prototype in flat dark earth and MTC locking turrets.

HiCapMag,
Ye of little faith, believe me there is great video that we took Nancy has been putting the video together today hopefully we have it soon. Later shot a group very similar to mine and we got the whole thing on video.

A little info behind that group I fired five rounds with iPhones suggested dope which was about a mil too low. I redoped the gun and fired five more, the picture shows 3 of the corrected five final shots, another shot was about three feet to the left edge of the pictures but the elevation was the same, fifth shot hit about six feet below target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scope is s&b's new prototype in flat dark earth and MTC locking turrets.

HiCapMag,
Ye of little faith, believe me there is great video that we took Nancy has been putting the video together today hopefully we have it soon. Later shot a group very similar to mine and we got the whole thing on video. </div></div>
im not gonna lie dude....if i pulled you over on a traffic stop, and you looked at me the way you are looking in the pic above...i would just walk away.....kinda have the "crazy man gaze" going on
grin.gif

great shooting by the way....even more so since it was with a can......send me the S&B when you get tired of it
grin.gif

bench

We got several trips there and back in the shin smasher. Last video I recorded was 4.44 mins for them to get to the target from the FP. It takes 20 mins just to check the target, there is no freeway, all the video would be like an hour.

The cool thing is, everyone who was there knows it can be done again without excuse, the conditions will be better then what we shot in. Not to mention plenty of people that see this have the rifles to duplicate it.

I hope she leaves the part with Later spotting you guys when the above photo was taken, that was text book.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im starting to think nobody really took any video
cool.gif

</div></div>

LMAO Hey if I don't have video then I can assure you that you will have the best Gulf of Mexico shrimp ever this coming year despite the "spill"
smile.gif

Thanks

Thanks Later for all of the info on 338LM capabilities. Now that is the scientific method, experimentation and confirmation of findings. Having said that, I am still holding out for a 375CT HTI.

benchmstr,
LOL, kinda got the Michael Myers look going on a bit, I think it's because of the sun, shadows and my unibrow.
smile.gif

An outstanding article, brilliant shooting and yes,...the brits use a 2nd Focal S&B PM2.

Again,..well done guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and yes,...the brits use a 2nd Focal S&B PM2. </div></div>

ummm;

Amend to read: 1st FP S&B MKII

No one's named the correct reticle yet either.
crazy.gif

smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the video isn't up before tomorrow I'll call it a photoshop-fake! :p wink</div></div>

The video editor had a child 3 weeks ago, she's working on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the video isn't up before tomorrow I'll call it a photoshop-fake! :p wink</div></div>

The video editor had a child 3 weeks ago, she's working on it. </div></div>

Tricky one, since we are as impatient as babies..
wink.gif

Anyways - Look forward to see the final result!

Send me that stuff next time - I've got a production studio in the back of my house
wink.gif

dood,..where did u get FFP from????

Issue is 2ND and currently P4L Fine on the .338.

If you had been at the Phoenix this last weekend you cud have bought a cheap S&b FFP that came in bulk off military trials rifles as rejected!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Ok, here is 5:24 seconds of Day 2, enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBBnYPdfGCo

</div></div>
thanks for the video ! the SRS is really that good ! I wish it was a little cheaper though.

Outstanding!

Very well produced and edited also...my compliments to the lady with da baby
grin.gif

So, the video begs the question.....how far can you guys go on that "range"?

Great shooting and vid. Having only shot to 1300 myself, you guys have my utmost respect, especially in that wind!

Which LRF is that?

John

Sigh.. I was either filming or shot so bad they didn't put it on. keke.

Hmm... 5:30 AM before wind comes up, to 3000 yards trip?

What do think Later? Call Russ see if he's up that early?

I'll bring a wall we can shoot off too.

We only videoed two of your shots Fredo sorry but yours and Russ's groups were very similar to the others, except your handloads with Sierras had A bit more vertical dispersion. We have no video of Russ's group, unforunately.

Forgot to mention the Laser Rangefinder is the Vectronix Vector IV can easily range to 6500 yards in any condition (at least any condition I have ever used it in during the last three years) every day of the week.

That is friggen impressive. I venture to say that with very little wind, all you guys would have had probably close to a 50% hit rate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dood,..where did u get FFP from????

Issue is 2ND and currently P4L Fine on the .338.

If you had been at the Phoenix this last weekend you cud have bought a cheap S&b FFP that came in bulk off military trials rifles as rejected! </div></div>

I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but your start point on this was that you stated a belief that Brit mil scopes are PM2s. They are not. They are MK2s. Offer whatever data you believe you have on PM2s; but you're describing the wrong scope.
crazy.gif

Similarly,I know nothing about what a salesman told you / tried to sell you at a show, but if the scope you were shown was a PM2 then, again, it wasn't a Brit Mil scope.

Visual aide:
P1010231.jpg

If someone offers you an 'ex-issue' MKII that still has its serial number <span style="font-weight: bold">and</span> has paperwork to prove that it was obtained legally, I recommend you buy it immediately. You will have a collectors item in your hands.

Your other information on this topic is similarly inaccurate.

I thought MkII were just made for AI and the only difference between a MkII and a PM2 was the lens coating ? It's the anti-laser coating, internally they are identical.

I know I had a 3-12X MKII from AI that was the same as any other 3-12X PM2...

I can't say on the 5-25X, I am sure one of the AI guys could say, but back in the day here, Tac Pro used to sell Mk2s and they were essentially just AI branded PM2 scopes.