• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338LM?

GreyShirts

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
Oklahoma
My father in law is looking at getting a 338lm. He originally wanted a 50bmg, but decided on a 338 after I talked to him. He is looking at Armalite AR-30, and Savage 110BA. I'm also considering the Savage 110FCP, against his wishes. Personally I think the 110FCP will suit him better. It will be for shooting 800yrds plus, no hunting involved unless we take a trip up north. He really likes the 110BA, but I think saving a little on the 110FCP will be better in the long run. Money is not a factor for him, he could buy a 10K gun at the drop of a hat, but he is so tight he flattens pennies. He is wanting to stay around 2k for the rifle only. I'm sure some of you have shot atleast one of these if not more. What are yall's suggestions. Thanks in advance

Re: 338LM?

I would chose the AR-30 over the Savage but both are good, economical entry-level .338s. Hopefully he's not budgeting $500 for an optic.

I would go with AR30 just because of looks. You just can`t make a Savage look good.

I have the savage 110 fcp hs and love the gun. It shoots half minute most of the time and 3/4 minute all the time

I like, have the BA, 1/2 MOA unless I pull it! constant hits out to the mile marker.

Diego

The Savage 110 BA is extremely accurate and reliable.

There are people who do not like the way the Savage looks - see comment several lines above. I love the way it looks. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Also, I do not think that purchasing a gun for the way it looks is a smart thing to do.

My choice is the Savage 110 BA because of the quality and accuracy of other Savage guns I own. Savage put a tremendous amount of research and effort into building this gun into a quality rifle. I believe it is the best out there in the price bracket. But I would not criticize or put down the Armalite.

I also think the Savage 110 has a growing following. It's becoming a popular gun. Two other people I know at one of the ranges I use, have purchased the 110 BA in .338LM - all I can say is that it really is a great gun.

I second the Sako. Much better choice then the other two.

I love my 110BA, i definately dont agree with the AR30 being better looking. The savage is sexy.... The only problem i have with the TRG is the 10" twist rate. Its a great rifle but i really enjoy the savages 9" twist for the 300 grain bullets.

True. Looking a Litz's book though you should be good with a 10 twist. Have no experience there though. Yet. But then I'll be shooting a 9.5.
L

You can shoot 300gr bullets accurately with a 10 twist barrel. We have shot them out to about 2400+ yds with the 338 Lapua.

Thanks for the feedback. He looked at the TRG, but like I said he is tight. He wants to stay around the $2k mark.

Pennywise, pound foolish. The Sako is a hell of alot more rifle for just a little more money. I just spent a week with one that was shooting 300 grain Bergers to one mile. The Sako is 10 times the rifle the Savage is in my opinion. This particular Sako TRG 42 came fom Euro Optic for $2250 and isa bargain at that price.

I do agree though, if you are going to get the Savage I would get the 110 fcp HS.

I got this one from Euro Optics

http://www.eurooptic.com/sako-trg-42-338-lapua-green-fixed-stock-matte-metal-finish.aspx

I am bias as I have a TRG 22 (.308), TRG 42 (.300 Win Mag) and a TRG 42 (.338 LM). You can shop around for accessories here's one place I have used in the past

http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/sako_trg.htm

For accessories you are not stuck just to Sako TRG accessories either. I have Warne rails on my TRG 42s and a near rail on my TRG22. I have used Leupold Mark 4 rings on all of my TRGs. I am looking at getting an Atlas bipod form my TRG 22, as I already have 2 TRG bipods. You won't find a better deal for a TRG than Euro Optics unless it's a used one here on the Hide. Your father in law really needs to look seriously at the TRG 42, JMO.

Good luck

I'd go with the TRG over the 110BA since the prices aren't that different but I personally ended up with a 110FCP-HS because I love the feel of the stock. The 110BA felt horrible as did the TR or whatever it is from Weatherby. I never had a chance to feel a TRG but don't think it could feel better than the HS to me.

For your budget I'd go with the FCP. A buddy of mine has the 110BA but I prefer the stock on the FCP. Although I have no experience with the FCP's shooting ability, I would imagine it's as accurate or more so then the 110BA but the FCP is much more comfortable of a stock and the extra weight should help the recoil a bit.

I have the TRG-42 and yes it is a lot more rifle in my opinion and I prefer it's ergonomics over either of the Savage's. The TRG has a better trigger and I've seen better accuracy from it then the 110BA. The TRG is going to cost you more though and its accessories are a bit ridiculously priced. My opinion though is if you’re going to send a $5 to $7 round down range then it should be done with the most accurate package you can afford. For me that was the TRG but if it's not in the stars, I'd have no issues getting the FCP as a second choice.

The 1/10 twist Sako has no issues with the 300gr. bullets. I've been doing load development and have had great results with factory Corbon 300gr SMK's and reloads using the 300gr. SMK's and Bergers although the Bergers seem more touchy with the jump to the lands.

This was my first 5 round group at 100 yards after using 5 rounds to sight my TRG in using the Corbon 300gr. bullets with no barrel break in.

photo-6.jpg

The Rem 700 338 lapua is one you might want to look at. i have seen them for sale around 1700 or so. plus parts and upgrades are everywhere mine shoots great to 1000 and i cant wait to find out what it will do past that.

If you get the Sako brake, you are way past the price of a BA, Mine was $1700 to my door. And it costs no where near 5-6 bucks a round if you reload. Bang for the buck, the BA is a game changer IMHO. group at 300yards.
berger300atlands.jpg

Diego

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would chose the AR-30 over the Savage but both are good, economical entry-level .338s. Hopefully he's not budgeting $500 for an optic. </div></div>

Actually when I asked him where he was at decision wise, he said he was thinking about the TRG. Then I said, you need to be looking around $1500 for an optic. His response, "I don't think so, I was planning $50-$300". Therefore, I give up on helping him with this weapon search. I will let him get whatever he wants, and when it breaks.....I will just take luxury in knowing I tried to help. Like I said, the man is so tight he flattens pennies.

If you are going on looks...both Savage and AR30 get a fail since they are both ugly MoFos..now they shoot, but aren't picture worthy...haha.

As others have said...it's tough to overlook the TRG.