• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

33xc bullet choice..lead core or Solids?

harry_x1

Khalsa
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
Hi All,

I am in process of my new 33xc build and need inputs from experienced shooters of 33xc on bullet choice. Till now I have been shooting 300 grain bergers for my 338 LM but with a switch to 33xc now face another critical choice.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of a lead core/jacketed bullet vs the Solids?

Are there any particular type of bullets which dominate ELR matches?

My primary use will be ELR matches (bartlein 31 inch 9.3 twist). Thanks for your inputs and suggestions !

Last edited:
Reactions: TreyMeTrey
First of all do you have a fast enough twist to stabilize selected solids. If you do you can switch back and forth. My guess is you probably will only be able to stabilize around 265 grains for a solid. That's not a bad thing. The Badlands 265 grain ICBM is a phenomenal bullet some of the highest b.c's on the market in 338 and transition extremely well. Leaning towards what is most used does not always mean that it's the best. Use what and suits your needs the best. A lot of people in this world today smoke dope doesn't make it a wise choice or the best choice. Don't be a sheep. Do the testing yourself

AS stated above by badassgunworks,
You might want to consider 8-8.5,that will kinda put you in the middle threshold between 300gr jacketed and heavier solids. imo.

Reactions: harry_x1
You made your choice on the type of bullet when you bought the barrel. It's heavily sorted and culled Bergers or ATips out of the box.

For ELR, you're looking for a Sg in the 1.7+ range at the elevation you're shooting at. Solids give the most consistency at 2.2+.

My first 33XC barrel went at 450 rounds and the last 100 were the denial phase. About 200 of that were smoking solids loads using double base powder. If you use a faster twist barrel with the jacketed bullets, you'll be turning them inside out in no time. It's not just the speed. It's what the cartridge that generates that speed does to the barrel.

With ELR guns, 100 yard testing should be confined to figuring out components and processes that minimize the velocity spread. Bullets should be selected on the basis of least vertical spread beyond a mile. For 338 solids, the Badlands mentioned above and the CE 277 MTAC, but they won't be doing their best without an 8 twist or faster. I have a 1:7 to test. The Badlands gave an Sg of 1.4 at sea level with 1:9.3. If you're going to be shooting in Colorado or New Mexico, the solids might have a chance with a 1:9.3 barrel but the jacketed bullets will likely out score them.

338 is pretty much the last stand for solids. The current 338 jacketed bullets have better BCs. 375 is a completely different game.

Jacketed bullets won't take as much pressure as solids or Tubb's brass, especially in the last half of the barrel's life. A good test is to figure out your "no pressure signs at all" load and then test it for vertical spread or score beyond a mile against loads 50 and 100 fps slower. You'll probably be startled at the results.

Your first goals for ELR loads are getting every 10 shot string in a box of 50 below 20 fps ES and seating the bullets so that nobody can tell they've been touched by human hands.

You made your choice on the type of bullet when you bought the barrel. It's heavily sorted and culled Bergers or ATips out of the box.

For ELR, you're looking for a Sg in the 1.7+ range at the elevation you're shooting at. Solids give the most consistency at 2.2+.

My first 33XC barrel went at 450 rounds and the last 100 were the denial phase. About 200 of that were smoking solids loads using double base powder. If you use a faster twist barrel with the jacketed bullets, you'll be turning them inside out in no time. It's not just the speed. It's what the cartridge that generates that speed does to the barrel.

With ELR guns, 100 yard testing should be confined to figuring out components and processes that minimize the velocity spread. Bullets should be selected on the basis of least vertical spread beyond a mile. For 338 solids, the Badlands mentioned above and the CE 277 MTAC, but they won't be doing their best without an 8 twist or faster. I have a 1:7 to test. The Badlands gave an Sg of 1.4 at sea level with 1:9.3. If you're going to be shooting in Colorado or New Mexico, the solids might have a chance with a 1:9.3 barrel but the jacketed bullets will likely out score them.

338 is pretty much the last stand for solids. The current 338 jacketed bullets have better BCs. 375 is a completely different game.

Jacketed bullets won't take as much pressure as solids or Tubb's brass, especially in the last half of the barrel's life. A good test is to figure out your "no pressure signs at all" load and then test it for vertical spread or score beyond a mile against loads 50 and 100 fps slower. You'll probably be startled at the results.

Your first goals for ELR loads are getting every 10 shot string in a box of 50 below 20 fps ES and seating the bullets so that nobody can tell they've been touched by human hands.
You saying the 33xc case is too much for 338 bullets?

No, I'm saying you'll likely find better jacketed bullet performance at lower pressures than the brass will take. If you run jacketed bullets at ejector mark pressures and then test them against themselves in a load 100 fps slower you'll dial more into the scope but the vertical stripe at the target will be shorter.

The 33XC case capacity to bore ratio is very similar to the 416 Barrett and an improved 375 CT. It's right at the tipping point where, for many ELR COF, the additional problems more than offset the potential ballistic advantages.

What he is stating is that when you purchased the barrel at a specific twist it dictates what bullet you can shoot
This too.

Decide on a bullet, then buy a barrel.

First time through its a chicken or egg situation though. I tested solids in my first 9.3 barrel to get a start on figuring out powders, charges and resulting velocities. I had the first 9.3 barrel in a week. The 7 took 10 months.

Hi All,

I am in process of my new 33xc build and need inputs from experienced shooters of 33xc on bullet choice. Till now I have been shooting 300 grain bergers for my 338 LM but with a switch to 33xc now face another critical choice.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of a lead core/jacketed bullet vs the Solids?

My primary use will be ELR matches (bartlein 31 inch 9.3 twist). Thanks for your inputs and suggestions !
First of all do you have a fast enough twist to stabilize selected solids. If you do you can switch back and forth. My guess is you probably will only be able to stabilize around 265 grains for a solid. That's not a bad thing. The Badlands 265 grain ICBM is a phenomenal bullet some of the highest b.c's on the market in 338 and transition extremely well. Leaning towards what is most used does not always mean that it's the best. Use what and suits your needs the best. A lot of people in this world today smoke dope doesn't make it a wise choice or the best choice. Don't be a sheep. Do the testing yourself
Well Said.

This too.

Decide on a bullet, then buy a barrel.

First time through its a chicken or egg situation though. I tested solids in my first 9.3 barrel to get a start on figuring out powders, charges and resulting velocities. I had the first 9.3 barrel in a week. The 7 took 10 months.
AsBadass said.Your twist is too slow for anything heavier that a 265 Solid with a 1-9.3.The other thing I might add is the costs are double and the solids do not make a very good impact splash as the lead core do.And on day with moist dirt the day aftera rain the solids arfe dang near impossible to see if you miss the target out the 2,000 yds and farther. They have their advantages but with that comes those disadvantages.See what your barrel likes and shoot those is my advice.Dont just go with whats selling best or the newest latezt greats coolaid.

Hi All,

èAbout a 265gr solid is about as heavy as you can shoot.
I shoot a 1 n 9 twist so I know.The 300 gr A Tip and 300 gr Berger is a good choice.The A-Tip has a better BC..
So shoot a 265 solid,a 300gr A Tip and 300 gr Berger a see what your barrel likès.z
I will mention the Nosler 300gr RDF shoots great if you can find any.Good Luck
Also I might add the Solids do not make as good of a splash as the others.Especually if the ground is moist

Last edited: