• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pros and Cons of 33XC vis a vis 338 LM

Hi All,
I currently shoot 338 lapua magnum (300 grain berger out of a 26 inch barrell in an AI AXMC). I am looking to take part in ELR matches and considering an upgrade to 33XC.

However I want to make sure that I dont just get carried away by all the advertised advantages (higher MV) but also understand the problems with this new caliber.

Are there shooters here who have shot both 338 LM as well as 33XC? I am interested in their opinion about advantages and disadvantages of 33xc vis a vis a 338 LM.

Please only add your inputs in case you have used both these calibers and/or you are an active ELR competitor. Grateful for your time and attention.

Harjeet
I shot a 300 PRC first in ELR,then went a 338 LM and on to a 33XC. I like the 33xc a lot.But looking back at it if I had it to do over I'd probably just turn my 338 LM into a 338 LM Ackley Improved and add a little more freebore and room to set my bullet out farther.The reason,or one of the reasons I did not do it was my shooting partner was running a 33XC and so we could share wind calls.The other reason was my barrel was only 26 inches.

It is clear you are one of those lazy asses living paycheck to paycheck and wasting their time on SH stuffing their nose into every little filthy fight they see. Rather than wasting time behind keyboard and running others down; try humility, curiosity and time management.

Now take this free advice and f*** O this thread to do something useful for urself and society.
Man,Yall cool it down..Getting Sarcastic and personal insults is not good for this forum.

Reactions: harry_x1
Updating this thread with my experience with 33xc and how it compares with LM. I got a 30 inch bartlein chambered in 33xc and tried diff loads. H1000 gave best consistency but I kept getting cratering on primers. It seems it was driven by the peculiar construction of AI AXMC bolt. I have sent it to LRI for getting it bushed. Meanwhile I switched to RL50 and opted for lower velocities which mitigates the cratering issue (while I wait for the bushed bolt). I am currently shooting 300 grain bergers (124.5 RL50) with ~3050 fps MV. I have felt that it made a significant improvement in my accuracy/precision at >1600 yards. In good conditions, even 2900 yard becomes doable. Recoil is slightly higher, but very manageable. I took it to two ELR matches. The first one was kind of washed out due to exceptionally tough conditions with winds in excess of 30mph. However in second match at spearpoint, the 33xc gave a very respectable performance. For a novice shooter, this catridge can provide that extra boost one needs to compete with seasoned players.

Attachments

• 343085452_908570603584475_6071740356787376813_n.jpg
    343085452_908570603584475_6071740356787376813_n.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 141
300s at 3050fps is still a huge step up from .338LM. I get that with a .338LM Improved but that's with a 36" long barrel. I'd definitely move up to one of the large XC variants before scaling back up to a Cheytac or .50BMG-based cartridge.

338 Lapua Magnum has too short of a throat for 300 grain bullets and decent velocity.
338 Lapua Ackley Improved with the same bad throat gets you 2970 fps with A-tips and the brass lasts a long time.
33xc gets you 3060 fps out of a long case.
338 Snipetac gets you 3300-3350 fps.
If I was going 338 I would go 338 Lapua Ackley Improved and have it throated 0.175 - 0.190 longer so the 300 grain bullets are in the correct location. You get 33xc velocity without any pressure issues and you burn 25 grains less powder per shot.

I was running a 338 LM AI w 106.5 gr N570 w Berger 300 OTM @ 3030 fps from a 30 inch..

My 33XC w 116-118 gr N570 w Berger 300 OTM is running 3150-3200 from a 30 inch..

In my factory AI 338 LM barrel which is throated long w AI,s 338 reamer I run 94 gr N570 w Berger 300 OTM @ 2805 fps from a 27 inch..

118 grains of Vihta Vuori N570 should be WAY WAY over pressure with a 300gr bullet..I run 118.2 H50BMG or 118.6 RL50

I have to ck my notes but I don’t think I had signs of pressure till 120-121 gr N570 and backed it down 3-4 gr to work a load back up in the 33 XC.

We have 2 other barrels we run 123-124.1 H50 BMG. We didn’t get signs of pressure till almost 126 gr which was a heavy compressed load.

Quick update. I switched over to shooting Solids (CE lazers) using a 7t barrel and only in my third ELR match was able to gain 2nd Spot at spearpoint. Based on personal experience, I can confidently say that 33xc is miles ahead of 338 LM when it comes to competing in light ELR. Sure 338 LM can come very close, but 33xc gives you a significant edge with its velocity and extended TS range.

PS: and to the f**ktards like @Taylorbok @Bandit320 @secondofangle2 @diverdon and their gang....your name could be on the winner list of premier ELR matches as well, provided you spend 10% of the time being a student vs being a troll.

Attachments

• 356389312_746561480806249_347768590702045690_n.jpg
    356389312_746561480806249_347768590702045690_n.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 120
Quick update. I switched over to shooting Solids (CE lazers) using a 7t barrel and only in my third ELR match was able to gain 2nd Spot at spearpoint. Based on personal experience, I can confidently say that 33xc is miles ahead of 338 LM when it comes to competing in light ELR. Sure 338 LM can come very close, but 33xc gives you a significant edge with its velocity and extended TS range.

PS: and to the f**ktards like @Taylorbok @Bandit320 @secondofangle2 @diverdon and their gang....your name could be on the winner list of premier ELR matches as well, provided you spend 10% of the time being a student vs being a troll.
Yes WE are the Fucktards.
How come you got beat by a 300 Norma Imp if the 33XC is such an advantage? (PS I already know the answer)
Nobody here thinks your cool or tough. Despite you being a massive asshole many people still tried to help you out in other threads.
How about instead of being a jackass sit back and learn when people are talking.
Also quit making a thread for every little thing, almost every thread you have started here could have just be apart of the last one.

I am interested to hear what the issue with your 20" groups was and how you rectified it?

Lastly Good Shooting. ur still a dick.

Harry, Harry, Harry…

My main problem with you was how would ask questions then shit all over people trying to help you. Reading some of your recent post I’d thought you’d learned how to accept people on the forum. I see now that you’ll always be a vindictive cunt.

Last edited:
Harry Singh the Hairy Thing placed in a match and now has all the experience he so much treasures - so now can he please go away since he himself is the source of everything he needs, including, I presume, companionship and intimacy?

I think somebody has a severe case of congenital microphallus he feels the need to compensate for. I bet it grew a whole inch with that second place finish. Keep up the good work And you’ll soon be cured of your affliction

Harry Singh the Hairy Thing placed in a match and now has all the experience he so much treasures - so now can he please go away since he himself is the source of everything he needs, including, I presume, companionship and intimacy?

I think somebody has a severe case of congenital microphallus he feels the need to compensate for. I bet it grew a whole inch with that second place finish. Keep up the good work And you’ll soon be cured of your affliction
how do I get on the the Fucktards list? Do I have to piss someone with a diaper on their head off?

Hey can ya give a link to where I trolled you. I should make sure to look for opportunities to do it again.

Were there more than two shooters at the event where you finished second?

how do I get on the the Fucktards list? Do I have to piss someone with a diaper on their head off?

I think there should be a Hide achievement award for pissing off Harry. Of course, since we all seem to be below his perceived station in life and piss him off I guess everyone would get one.

Last edited:
For anybody that is actually interested in the Tubb chamberings he's got a pretty extensive writeup to include load data on his site and his experience in terms of barrel life with 338LM, 375CT, and how he developed 33xc and 37xc

The guys going long these days are using the bigger rounds for the splash. This is on my list but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm going to have one made up for my MRAD in 37xc, I'll have to single load but who cares 🤷🏼‍♂️

In the meantime I'm enjoying the 338. CRC is supposed to be working on a mile range at some point 🤞 here east of Denver.

Harry, Harry, Harry…

My main problem with you was how would ask questions then shit all over people trying to help you. Reading some of your recent post I’d thought you’d learned how to accept people on the forum. I see now that you’ll always be a vindictive cunt.

I made the decision to stop providing any help or input in his threads because of his combativeness towards others.

Congrats on the good shooting at Spearpoint, but I'm not going to engage in any of his threads anymore.

I made the decision to stop providing any help or input in his threads because of his combativeness towards others.

Congrats on the good shooting at Spearpoint, but I'm not going to engage in any of his threads anymore.
Well where's the fun in that?

• Haha
Reactions: kthomas

your still an asshat...... see post #15

Can’t we all just get along 😩

Harry, I sent you a PM a few weeks ago looking to take the Badlands off your plate. Ck your box if you still have them available!

It was quite and relatively peaceful until @harry_x1 apparently decided he now has all the info he wants and is shooting well enough that he can now be a sanctimonious prick and can call out all of the members that have wronged him.

Looks like he keeps a list (that I’m proud to be a part of).

So to answer your question, no.

I was just stirring the pot 😉! Guys like that don’t get to stick around long…

Let’s get back on topic, does anyone know when the next Peterson 33 XC brass drop is coming?

Harry, I sent you a PM a few weeks ago looking to take the Badlands off your plate. Ck your box if you still have them available!
My apologies for not responding to your DM...responding now, check your inbox.

Reactions: BCX

OK Loudmouth, given you found of betting/guessing...let me challenge you to a bet... why dont you come to any of the upcoming light gun ELR matches. You get to pick the match of your choice. Below are the rules for the bet/challenge:

1) whosoever out of us is placed higher in the match, wins
2) looser pays the winner $2k OR gets a picture clicked with bright red lipstick with mouth wide open and hand it over to the winner as a momento. The picture will be posted back on this thread as well.

up for the challenge or all this talk was just bluster and nothing more?

OK Loudmouth, given you found of betting/guessing...let me challenge you to a bet... why dont you come to any of the upcoming light gun ELR matches. You get to pick the match of your choice. Below are the rules for the bet/challenge:

2) looser pays the winner $2k OR gets a picture clicked with bright red lipstick with mouth wide open and hand it over to the winner as a momento. The picture will be posted back on this thread as well.

Very-cringe GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Ghey.

Kemo Sahbee, UNLIKE you, i don’t have ANYTHING to prove to anybody, nor do I think winning matches proves anything beyond who won the match that day. Plus I don’t do matches and I ain’t changing course to respond to your insults & challenges - you’re just bombast and bluster.

I don’t know how old you are but in addition to a serious personality disorder, you seem to have some kind of complex, very likely an inferiority complex and I think I know it’s origins but I won’t state them here. Exactly why is it that you came to this forum to ask stupid questions, insult people who tried to help you, and then boast of your accomplishments as if to prove your superiority to others on the forum? What world do you live in? How did your parents raise you? Would they be proud of your behavior? What insecurities are you trying to assuage with this adolescent and woefully misguided behavior?

if this were ARFCOM the ban hammer would have smashed this guy months ago

Last edited:

Allah does not approve.

I don't know Harry nor have I read many of his threads, but I've gotta say it's been an amusing read!

The Tubbs/XC observations have been educational.

I don't know where you guys shoot but if he is as bad as you guys say he is that's a free $2000 in your pocket

I don’t think anybody was saying anything about his shooting. He has / had a strong tendency of being a dick and shitting on experienced members of the forum trying to help him. Go back and reread posts 8,9, and 10 to see what I mean. That’s far from the only instance of him behaving that way.

Ghey.

Kemo Sahbee, UNLIKE you, i don’t have ANYTHING to prove to anybody, nor do I think winning matches proves anything beyond who won the match that day. Plus I don’t do matches and I ain’t changing course to respond to your insults & challenges - you’re just bombast and bluster.

I don’t know how old you are but in addition to a serious personality disorder, you seem to have some kind of complex, very likely an inferiority complex and I think I know it’s origins but I won’t state them here. Exactly why is it that you came to this forum to ask stupid questions, insult people who tried to help you, and then boast of your accomplishments as if to prove your superiority to others on the forum? What world do you live in? How did your parents raise you? Would they be proud of your behavior? What insecurities are you trying to assuage with this adolescent and woefully misguided behavior?

if this were ARFCOM the ban hammer would have smashed this guy months ago
Not long ago 'gentlemen' used to duel to settle matters of honor and offense. Sadly, this generation of wimpish keyboard "warriors" chickens out even at the idea of a fair match/bet...but no need to think twice before blurting invectives on strangers while hiding face behind anonymous SM handle.

Not your fault. You are just a product of the poor environment around you. Kind of glad your forefathers aint here to watch these lows.

• Haha
Reactions: b6graham
I don’t think anybody was saying anything about his shooting. He has / had a strong tendency of being a dick and shitting on experienced members of the forum trying to help him. Go back and reread posts 8,9, and 10 to see what I mean. That’s far from the only instance of him behaving that way.
@Bandit320 Only for you, given you are a 'special' case, I up the bet to $3k. Give it a thought, bet will remain open for one year.

• Haha
Reactions: b6graham
Watching for one of the above mentioned to take him up on his bet!

Do I like the attitude and demeanor of harry_x1: No

Do I like it when someone puts their money where their mouth is: YES!!

It just got really entertaining for me.

But I am easily entertained.

• Love
You all should come to my range and shoot it out,

We have targets every 100 yards to 1825 and can back up to 2950, I’ll hold the money 💰

300s killed the 338LM as an effective cartridge for most people, the Tubb XC ecosystem is 1000x times better.

I’d bet my own money on that, but I’m not here to feed the trolls.

You all should come to my range and shoot it out,

We have targets every 100 yards to 1825 and can back up to 2950, I’ll hold the money 💰

300s killed the 338LM as an effective cartridge for most people, the Tubb XC ecosystem is 1000x times better.

I’d bet my own money on that, but I’m not here to feed the trolls.
thanks for the offer. The light ELR match conditions suit because cameras and oberservers are already set. It is kind of a solid system which is difficult to replicate just for a one off shootout. But do let me know where your range is...would love to visit sometime and shoot if it is open to public or holds matches.

In the match in question, 33xc took approximately 45 shots at 2900 with a 0% hit rate. 300NMI won the match and had 2 hits at 2900, a 20% hit rate with 10 total shots, and 338LM had a 10% hit rate with 1 hit and 10 total shots.

It's been my observation in ELR light gun that most any flavor of 300 NM or 338, whether 338LM, LMAI, or 33xc can win the match on any given day. More the Indian than the arrow.

I don't know where you guys shoot but if he is as bad as you guys say he is that's a free $2000 in your pocket
You really think he would pay up if he loses? My life experiences you bet someone you keep your money if you win. You lose you pay them your money. The way he talks to people he has no honor

Last edited:
In the match in question, 33xc took approximately 45 shots at 2900 with a 0% hit rate. 300NMI won the match and had 2 hits at 2900, a 20% hit rate with 10 total shots, and 338LM had a 10% hit rate with 1 hit and 10 total shots.

It's been my observation in ELR light gun that most any flavor of 300 NM or 338, whether 338LM, LMAI, or 33xc can win the match on any given day. More the Indian than the arrow.
kind of agreed with a caveat...in spearpoint matches I have seen this black dude with the body of a tank and an ironic surname 'white',....he shoots the hell out of 338 LMs...I have no clue how he is able to engage those targets at 2900 yard...serious combination of ability, knowledge and skill. I can bet my house that if this challenge was thrown to him, he will beat my ass in no time with his 338 LM.

Having said that, I cautiously "guess" he will always be on top of that score chart every match if he was shooting a 33XC and not a 338 LM. I think you might have guessed the name of the shooter.

You really think he would pay up if he loses. My life experiences you bet someone you keep your money if you win. You lose you pay them your money. The way he talks to people he has no honor
Money will be prepaid to match director from both parties. Apologies if I had not clarified this earlier.

@Lowlight Thanks for the offer of your range, much appreciated.

@harry_x1 I’m retired as of this month. I no longer have to be around individuals that I have no respect for.

The way you treated people trying to give you help was wrong, and you’re not man enough to admit it. @soflastg was right, you have no honor. I wouldn’t associate with you even if you gave me $3,000 just to show up.