• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 350 legend real world performance

2010Ruger

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2019
My state will be allowing straight wall rifle cartridges in the county I hunt which was previously restricted to shotgun only. As always I’m interested in acquiring a new firearm and trying a new cartridge but the numbers on this 350 legend don’t seem too Overly impressive. Does anyone have any real world hunting experience with this cartridge that could elaborate on the pros and cons of it vs. a 12 gauge slug? Is the hype real or should I just stick with the old standby? Thanks

It tis a shame that the states that are 'allowing' straight walled rifle cartridges are generally the states you can see for 8 miles in all directions. If you can see the deer in the bean field at 200 yards...he can see you too. Now let's take a typical 350 legend load.

How about a 180gr Power-Point.....muzzle velocity is rated at about 2100fps....at 100 yards you get 1240ft lbs of energy....but when you stretch it to 200yds you get an anemic 859ft lbs of energy. If we are going with 1000ft lbs minimum for an ethical kill...you will be shooting 120 yards and in....if there has been any hunting pressure...that deer is going to be hyper alert and bolt at the first sound of any movement remotely near him.

Now I live in KY...we have trees....big brown things with green mesh like things all over them we call leaves. They give you some cover so you can sneak up on those deer....our you put kids forts up in the air in.....we typically hit a deer at around 70yds and in....but we can use a bottle neck howitzer if we choose....we don't need to...but we can.

So....the 350 Legend may give you better accuracy...especially if you are scared of that slugs recoil....and depending on the gun will give you a quick follow up shot because you sighted your rifle in at 100yds and can hit a 1" dot but he was really far out there at 110yds so you aimed 6" over his back....and missed.

Me personally...I'd chase him down with the side by side...put 17 rounds into him with the Glock and place a throw away gun on his hoof and call it self defense and be done with it.

Straight wall gives you better accuracy and cheaper cartridges. And more range.

Get a good drop chart and put one in the lungs. If you are shooting white tail in the state I think you are, they aren’t hard to kill. 1000 pound energy is over rated. People in other states smoke them with 223

Take a look at the 450bm. I was going to give the 350 legend a shot last year here in MI and thought about replacing my 450bm with it, but the 450bm out performs for my needs

Take a look at the 450bm. I was going to give the 350 legend a shot last year here in MI and thought about replacing my 450bm with it, but the 450bm out performs for my needs
How’s the bushmaster perform on paper and whitetail? Does it shoot consistently? What distance would you feel comfortable shooting a deer? I limit my shots with slug to around 150yards because I have very little confidence in its performance beyond that

Last edited:
I have been looking at the 350 legend and 450 bushmaster lately. I want to build one or the other on an AR platform.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
If 50cal is good for black powder, why not a 50 Beowulf for firearm season. Good for up to 200 yards, best at 50-100 yards, same as a shotgun rifled slug. In my opinion, this is an easy choice.

Seems like a good 300+ yard cartridge

BEA6832C-9738-4538-B6B0-508D44E8B814.jpeg

Reactions: 2010Ruger
There are some interesting lever gun options if that would be of interest to you. 45-70 government or 50-90 sharps would get you more range and plenty of energy on target.

Reactions: BCX
This has been discussed a few times here and some are still talking about it, but here are some numbers I pulled from my 16 inch bolt gun last year. Seems very capable and it is on the standby list for this years season. That is, if the 44 mag gives me reason to not trust it.
@HolyCity73 speed tests in 16 inch 350 legend post from a few days ago. Sorry it took so long had to get a new chronograph, I shot my other one in the face with a 22 Nosler. Little gun shoots quick for what it is. Was shooting at an old propane tank. The big hole in the middle is the group and the back side is Swiss cheese. I tried to find some bullet fragments or parts but most were to small to pick up.

145 FMJ
1-2196
2-2203
3-2210
4-2195
5-2211
AVG- 2203
SD- 7
ES- 16

150 Extreme Point(one fail to fire think it was to short for the chamber. Was getting light strike on primer. All other rounds fired
1-2285
2-2272
3-2254
4-2259
5-2245
AVG- 2263
SD- 15
ES-40

180 Power Shock
1-2115
2-2130
3-2105
4-2134
5-2119
AVG-2118
SD-10
ES-29View attachment 7188208View attachment 7188209View attachment 7188210

Reactions: lash
How’s the bushmaster perform on paper and whitetail? Does it shoot consistently? What distance would you feel comfortable shooting a deer? I limit my shots with slug to around 150yards because I have very little confidence in its performance beyond that
Bushmaster is an absolute beast. Punches some tight holes and smacks whitetail. I’ve had 5 drop in their tracks and die on spot and one wobbled around 10yds and fell. I don’t shoot the hornady rounds. I shoot Black Butterfly ammo. On one rig I shoot the Black Butterfly Barnes XPB 275gr. I would feel comfortable going to 225-250yds on that rig. Another rig I have is a 10” pork sword that I shoot their 425gr subsonic buzz saws, I’ll only go 100yds max with subs. Those subsonics have dropped 2 deer though, the other 4 have been with the XPB’s. Can’t go wrong with the 450bm.

Reactions: BCX and 2010Ruger
8 kills w the 450 BM,,, awesome straight walled deer cartridge. You can stretch it out to 300 yards w holdover but in my 2 rifles accuracy isn't the best at 300. My Christensen Arms Mesa has shot sub 1 inch groups at 200 yards so i hold my shots to 250 for best accuracy. Actually use this rifle a lot during deer season even over bottle neck cartridges in the woods.

Reactions: 2010Ruger
Thanks for the input. I’m definitely looking at 450 now also

I am definitely going to buy an upper in 350 legend once I can scare up the funds.

I would also buy a lever gun in this caliber if it were offered. I’m thinking Henry big boy steel.

Reactions: BikePilot
Looked at the 350 for a minute , my good friends son killed a nice buck during the youth hunt with one but it didn’t do anything better than or near as good as my beloved .357 maximum and my .450 BM AR leaves the 350 in the dust , good dependable accuracy out to around 275-290 yards, hits like a hammer and there getting to be more decent projectiles for it and my work up with cast boolits is going surprisingly well, may have a 300 grain hammer ready for the MI bear season.

Looked at the 350 for a minute , my good friends son killed a nice buck during the youth hunt with one but it didn’t do anything better than or near as good as my beloved .357 maximum and my .450 BM AR leaves the 350 in the dust , good dependable accuracy out to around 275-290 yards, hits like a hammer and there getting to be more decent projectiles for it and my work up with cast boolits is going surprisingly well, may have a 300 grain hammer ready for the MI bear season.
I have to agree with .357 Maximum. If only it wasn’t just another Remington abandonment casualty. Still my favorite caliber for the Contender.

Yes sir I use it in Contender and Encore platforms. If you find brass buy a lifetime supply, but it truly is a wonderful under rated cartridge that made its bones in silhouette competition and kills all out of proportion to what one would think on paper

Reactions: lash
I picked up a 350 a month or so ago in the Ruger American. dropped it in a oryx chassis and called it day. I only shoot it with my can but I was impressed with it's accuracy thus far. the main purpose was to have a short rifle to keep in the truck for when I was on the plantation. we've got to manage the deer this year and will be taking about 150 does off the place so I will certainly be trying it out.

also, ammo is everywhere for this rifle. even during these times.

Why does it have to be an AR platform for hunting?

It doesn’t have to be of course. I personally have not tried any hunting with an AR, but plenty of guys use them for pigs and deer. Times are changing and traditions and norms change with them.

As far as the platform goes, I mentioned earlier that I would love to see either .357 Maximum or 350 Legend in a lever action, with my preference being a Henry Big Boy Steel or “X” platform. In fact, I went to Henry’s website where they have a suggestion link for new products and suggested those chambering options as another way to fill that hunting niche in the midwestern states. If more people went to Henry with the same suggestion, they might consider it.