• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Habituallinestepper

A dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2018
Very interested in this, but based on the comments I've read so far, that puts me in the minority. Interested in what others think. For Ohio's gun season I've used a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag, but was recently looking toward a 450 Bushmaster bolt gun for a setup closer to what I normally shoot. The 350 is appealing to me in that its still a straight walled cartridge, legal for deer in most Midwest states, and with a reduced thump, weight, and blast compared to other options. And cheap ammo to practice with is always a plus.

What am I missing?

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2019/01/21/shot-2019-winchester-new-350-legend/

I see it as the 20ga of staight walled cartridges. I expected it to have more oomph, but the speeds are not any more than you'd see in 450 or 45/70. I think it's a great way to get kids going on straight walled cartridges, but if you can use more juice, why not? The damage a 250gn FTX does on Deer is undeniably reliable.

Winchester needs to fire it's entire marketing department. Not saying there's anything wrong with the cartridge, just...

"World fastest straight-walled hunting cartridge:"
  1. No
  2. Even if it was, that's like saying world's best rotary phone or world's most reliable boulder.

Last edited:
Reactions: coldboremiracle
This would have made more splash if they had released it with a lever action rifle. Instead it is just lackluster and only one AR company has a rifle for it. Winchester released it in a bolt gun? Who gives a sh&& about this in a bolt gun?

Reactions: XL Mammal
Don't care about it for hunting uses, but as a 300BLK big brother I'm slightly interested.

Reactions: Raffica762
The cartridge itself is interesting and may be worth while as far as hunting and plinking. I'm a die hard Winchester fan of the Model 70 and lever action rifles. Winchester just seems to have lost sight of what they do well. Either innovate of stick to what you do well and are famous for. The 350 Legend will have its merits and may end up being amazing at what they are marketing it for. But for hells sake how do you not chamber your new cartridge in your most adored rifles? Next thing you know Winchester will be making ARs.....

Very interested in this, but based on the comments I've read so far, that puts me in the minority. Interested in what others think. For Ohio's gun season I've used a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag, but was recently looking toward a 450 Bushmaster bolt gun for a setup closer to what I normally shoot. The 350 is appealing to me in that its still a straight walled cartridge, legal for deer in most Midwest states, and with a reduced thump, weight, and blast compared to other options. And cheap ammo to practice with is always a plus.

What am I missing?

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2019/01/21/shot-2019-winchester-new-350-legend/

You must be who they are marketing to. Why would you use a 450 in a bolt gun instead of an AR? Are you restricted on using the AR for hunting? The 350 makes perfect sense to me as a lever action and even as an AR cartridge, I just don't see why you would use a bolt gun with the other options available.

Why limit your self. I use a 26 inch E. arthur brown company 45-70 barrel in an encore. I live in Ohio and have shot lots of deer. I don't have to track them. THey die where you shoot them. I also take this down to Thunder Valley and shoot it consistently out to 600. The huge advantage is that you can use it to hunt other things. I have never felt recoil when shooting an animal. There will always be the next new big thing. Stick with the tried and true. If you going to use a rifle, use a rifle bullet. The 450 bushmaster uses a .452 which is a pistol bullet and limits you considerably.

Why limit your self. I use a 26 inch E. arthur brown company 45-70 barrel in an encore. I live in Ohio and have shot lots of deer. I don't have to track them. THey die where you shoot them. I also take this down to Thunder Valley and shoot it consistently out to 600. The huge advantage is that you can use it to hunt other things. I have never felt recoil when shooting an animal. There will always be the next new big thing. Stick with the tried and true. If you going to use a rifle, use a rifle bullet. The 450 bushmaster uses a .452 which is a pistol bullet and limits you considerably.
Nah, I bought the Lee swaging die for like 19$ or something, I can shoot any bullet .451-.458 and have from my Bushmaster. 405grain bullets from the Bushmaster are hell on anything.