• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

375 Cheytac....IT'S ALIVE, RANGE REPORT TO FOLLOW!!

Colcalcipherol and Donald, I use a MTM SF100 for a 20ga. I took the top rack out and its on my reloading bench. So I have a bullets up, 50 round, 375 Cheytac ammo box. Works great. You can install foam on top of the rounds to keep it from rattling. Hope that helps

My 375CT is a Lawton 11.5 twist and will only shoot and I mean only shoot 350gr Hooker bullets. It shoots 1/2moa. Fun but expensive. I am working on a load with 330gr Cutting Edge and they seem to work. More tests are needed. Anyway, keep those CT burning...

hog,
Where did you come up with that ammo box? I have been looking for one that will handle the CheyTac loads bullet up.

Mine doesn't seem to like the SMK's up on the lands like that or perhaps it doens't like them at all. Whereas it shoots the solids in a pretty tight group (.2-.3), I worked up a set of loads with 132 to 137.5 gr of Retumbo and .015" off the lands and the groups were all 1-2.5".

It is a 20 guage shot gun MTM unit. I am loading mine .020" off as well. I tried some right on the lands, but the best groups I got were .020" off. I want to try Retumbo. I am running 133grains of H-1000 and according to chrono it is around 3150 fps there.

Got out and did some blasting today, just close stuff, actually practiced hold unders, had targets from 450 - 710 yards, 710 was 13 MOA hold under with my 1150 yard zero. Was turning NF down to 10X to double the subtensions on reticle. It was shooting well. Going back tomorrow to stretch is legs a bit.

Mainly just went out today to dick around while my buddy was doing load development with his 6.5 SAUM, shooting targets of opportunity, various steel that was available, tomorrow, I have a date with a plate at 2100 yards. :)

I have only ran H-1000 (mostly because that is what I have on hand) I found that 133 grains H-1000, Remmington Primers with an OAL of 4.174" shoots best with the loads I have tested. It is about .020" off the lands. I have to this point shot it out to 1450 yards, I am hoping to get out in the am to get out further and see how it does out to 2100, I will post results if I get it done. I am getting around 3150 fps with that load.

Got out Sunday for some long range stuff, Shot 2100 yards and 1760, put rounds on steel. 3'x3' plate at 2100 and my elk target at mile spot. It took several rounds to get it on target (only had the wife with me for a spotter, so that was a bit of a challenge :) , but once on target I was able to turn the rifle over to her and she was able to follow it up with a first round impact. 1760 was alot easier to get dialed in on, here are a few pics.

ranging shooting position from the target with Vectronix Terrapin, I was ranging my 4 wheeler parked at shooting position.

Elk at a mile

Looking back at shooting position from mile spot (just to the right of that steep knob in the center of pic)

view from shooting position looking towards target area.

2100 yard impact

repainting target

With my 1150 yard zero it was 44MOA to 2100 yards and 19 MOA to a mile. So far I am happy with the set-up, shoots like a dream, light recoil and the jewel trigger is awesome compared to Barrett trigger I am used to dealing with at the long stuff. Going out again next weekend will update as I get more rounds down range.

I am shooting the 350 grain Sierra Match Kings, I am sure there are better bullets, but I want to get as much info as I can with these before the fall, just in case that ELR elk opportunity presents itself! :)

.805 BC (from shooter bullet library)

I agree with you, I've shoot till 2100 meters with great accuracy, I'm using 350 SMK, Bertram case, FGM215M, H1000 133 gr AOL 105 avg muzzle velocity 955 m/s, my BC is a little lower .7829 this is calculated using a POI method, I'm not a fun of a POI calculated BC but I've checked several times and works pretty well for me..

Great write up.So envious of ye guys that can have the big toys and have the space to use them.Love the pics of the big open countryside.

As much as our own countrymen like to trash the western US, having ready access to huge swaths of BLM (ie public land) where you can shoot as far as you want is a very nice perk for living there.

In a previous life I worked hard to establish a true bc I could use for the upto1200 yd type shooting associated with long range shooting. I had the absolute temperature, and elevation, humidity and the published bc of the boat tail bullets I used. At the time, I used a print out of all information for every 5 yards to 1200 or so yards.I tweaked the bc based on observed performance until I had a bc I believed in. There is a difference in a bullets bc over 500 yards from one at 1000 or 1500, but you go with the one most representative of your shots. I settled on 800 yds and allowed for the difference the best I could. During many years, my misses were right or left but my vertical was incredibly accurate.

I am now faced with doing the same for a soon to be finished .260 Rem and a wildcat .408 for up to 2 miles. Since no one claims to have software for the extreme distances we can believe, I may once again TRY this method although it will be MUCH tougher to do. It will look something like shooting 500 and look at the drop to 1000, shoot the 1000 then look for the additional drop to 1500, etc. Any other ideas how to accomplish this will be appreciated.

Unfortunately all that is above my pay grade! :)

I just run the published (often bloated) BC's and then just record my actual drops and try to glean as much information that I can from what it actually does in various shooting conditions. I have not really tried to play with changing my BC in the program to see if that helps my actual drops line up with what the program tells me. (for example on the day that I shot to 2100 yards I entered in the environmentals and the program called for 39 MOA, it ended up being 44 that was required to put rounds on steel)

I have been documenting my drops and environmental conditions on each outing and hope that once I get more time behind the trigger and have recorded multiple different impacts at different distances in varying conditions I will be able to tweak my program so that is more representative of what I am actually seeing in the field.

Hognuts,

Are you using SHOOTER app on your phone?

The reason why I ask is it doesn't work right past 1400Y or so, at least mine doesn't. I've read where others have had the same problems.

From what I've read Coldbore is one of the better ballistic programs for ELR.

Hognuts, could you post your environment data for that day ?

absolute pressure
temperature
humidity
bearing
muzzle velocity ( if you have it )

thanks

Here are the environmentals I was running: I cant do absolute pressure unless I am shooting with my buddies that have the "good" Kestrel, I have the Junior Woodchucker version! :)

3/16/14
Barometric Pressure - 26.20"Hg
72 degrees F
3630' Elevation
10.5% Humidity (this was also not a true value, I just left it the same as the last time I had shot here as my Kestrel doesn't show humidity)

My Cheytac with 1150 yard zero was 19 MOA to 1760 yards, and 44 MOA to 2100 yards.

My 6.5 SAUM with 100 yard zero was 56.5 MOA to 1760 yards, and 29 MOA to 1150 yards.

Just ordered a Trimble Nomad 800 LC, going to try Coldbore program from Patagonia, looking forward to checking out the software. (now I need a good kestrel, never ending battle!)

Made it out with the blasters today and whacked some steel at a mile with the Cheytac, mostly just playing around and letting some friends who don't get an opportunity to shoot much get behind a few different rifles. Met some new people and had a great day in the desert, wind was a bit switchy, but we managed to hit some steel and have a good time.

Some Cheytac and 260 impacts on steel at the mile target.

Some of the firing line

The beaters

Busted the Barrett out to put smiles on the faces of some new shooters. Everyone likes to eat dirt from the muzzle blast atleast once! :)

Coldboremiracle on the 260 Suppressed in DTA chassis nailing shit like its his job, he put a few on steel at a mile today with it. (good to finally meet you)

Good times with a great group of guys with some real nice toys!

Ran it over a magneto chrono the other day, 3148 avg. with 16 fps s-d. That is 133 Grains of H-1000 with 30" Benchmark. 10.5 Twist. With my 1150 yard zero, was taking 6.5 MOA hold under at 910 yards and 3.5 MOA of wind dialed with a left edge hold (18 mph wind quartering from left to right at shooting position, left to right at target area). So far I have no complaints!

Last edited:
Great report, fantastic shots and better pictures to go along, I feel like I was there too!

375 chytac bullets

I shoot a 375 chytac also. I've tried almost every bullet and powder out there! At present I'm shooting the 350 SMK with 138 grains of retumbo at 3110 fps. I am having a new barrel made to shoot the new 414 grain GS custom. It will be a 1 in 9 twist. This bullet has a G1 BC of 1.300. I will keep you posted with a range report as soon as i get the new barrel on and work up a load. I have spoken with gerard at gs and he said i should be able to push the 414 at about 2950 fps. We will see!

Any of you guys experiencing case neck spliting with Jameson 2 star cases?
Just started breaking in the barrel,so far anything over 127-128 grains H1000,the cases start to crack at the neck.
Going to switch to Retumbo and see what happens.

Last edited:
I shoot a 375 chytac also. I've tried almost every bullet and powder out there! At present I'm shooting the 350 SMK with 138 grains of retumbo at 3110 fps. I am having a new barrel made to shoot the new 414 grain GS custom. It will be a 1 in 9 twist. This bullet has a G1 BC of 1.300. I will keep you posted with a range report as soon as i get the new barrel on and work up a load. I have spoken with gerard at gs and he said i should be able to push the 414 at about 2950 fps. We will see!

I have not experianced any signs of pressure. I load mine with 2 starr Jamison 132gr retumbo Fed 215 primer and SMK 350gr. Out of a 30" Benchmark I am getting 3111fps with a spread of 9fps spread. The brass has one 3 loads so far. I have a 100yd zero with a 40moa base and NFAtacR. The farthest I have shot so far is 1147yds, Shooter app called for 23moa but I only needed 21.5moa. I only have 50 rounds down it total.

Single shot Barrett, model 99. Night Force 8x32x56. I built the turret with a piece of pipe with a Caterpillar bearing race welded inside of it. The turret consists of a piece of pipe that "just fits" the inside of the bearing race it is welded to a pice of steel that has a spring on it, pins to the bi-pod mount. the only downfall is that the rifle "pivots" on the bi-pod mounting pin under recoil. I want to re-do the design with a slide mechanism that allows the rifle to recoil straight back instead of pivoting. The pivoting action causes the pin for bi-pod to bend after a few firings. It wasn't really a serious endeavor so I haven't yet tried version 2.0 yet although I have laid out some components for its construction should I ever get back to it! :)

good shooting hog,

out of curiosity, what is that "clip on" device that extends beyond the muzzle break?

ever feel the need to add an anti cant level when shooting these distances?
i got one on my 338 and i swear by it. removing any cant (even 5 degrees which is hard to detect) really helps out with horizontal spreading - as fighting against any wind effect estimations is hard enough in itself.

Wow, not only is it a rifle to be admired, I admire you going into the South Nevada Desert in AUGUST! How do you do it? My brother and I go off the 95 on the BLM land just before you get to that prison, but its too hot by Easter.

Yeah, and windy as a mother out there too. I just don't know how you do it. What is it, 120 degrees every day? I live in San Diego and if it hits 90, I'm staying in.

It was as said above a magneto chrono on barrel. Yes it's a bit on the warm and windy side right now. (110 when I went out Sunday). I don't go out near as much when it's boiling hot, but right now I am a month out from heading to Montana for an early season rifle hunt in the Bob Marshall Wilderness area. I am taking the Cheytac to set on a ridge overlooking a burn area (burned two years ago, I am excited about that spot!). Taking my Winchester model 70 30/06 to pack around when hiking. But the bottom line is I HAVE TO shoot in the heat right now to get prepared for the trip. Opening day is September 15. We will be on the mountain the 13-21st. Chomping at the bit to get back to Big Sky Country! :)

Good point on the ant-cant device. I have one on my Barrett I will throw on there. Might also put my angle Cosine indicator off the SAUM on there for this trip in case it ends up being an issue. I have shooter on my phone and can use it to "lock in" the angle if need be, but won't hurt to have backups in place.

It was as said above a magneto chrono on barrel. Yes it's a bit on the warm and windy side right now. (110 when I went out Sunday). I don't go out near as much when it's boiling hot, but right now I am a month out from heading to Montana for an early season rifle hunt in the Bob Marshall Wilderness area. I am taking the Cheytac to set on a ridge overlooking a burn area (burned two years ago, I am excited about that spot!). Taking my Winchester model 70 30/06 to pack around when hiking. But the bottom line is I HAVE TO shoot in the heat right now to get prepared for the trip. Opening day is September 15. We will be on the mountain the 13-21st. Chomping at the bit to get back to Big Sky Country! :)
Make sure to snap pics and vids for us!!!

Hey Hog. If you end up in Billings let me know, ill buy you a beer and we can swap lies.

Will do. This trip is not going to allow for much dicking around in civilization. I fly to Helena the 11th, we have to meet outfitter on the 12th and get our gear weighed out and put in panyards. We head in on 13th, come out the 21st and I'm getting back on a plane the afternoon of the 22nd. (Hopefully after taking some game to meat locker! :). )

May be back up in December for a predator hunt in Roundup at a buddy's ranch. May be able to meet up then. (I try to hit Angry Hanks Brewery every time I go through Billings, some of the best beer I've ever had!)

May be back up in December for a predator hunt in Roundup at a buddy's ranch. May be able to meet up then. (I try to hit Angry Hanks Brewery every time I go through Billings, some of the best beer I've ever had!)

One of my favorites! Good luck on your hunt. I know you've pulled some good game out of here. I remember the antelope you posted on the Barrett forum a few years back. Im sure you'll have a good run this time!

One of my favorites! Good luck on your hunt. I know you've pulled some good game out of here. I remember the antelope you posted on the Barrett forum a few years back. Im sure you'll have a good run this time!

My wife went to Law School with the owner's wife at Angry Hanks, really nice people and he is damn good at his craft!

I hope so, I have never hunted in the Bob Marshall before, we have hunted alot of country up there, the last back country hunt I did in Montana was in the Absaroka Beartooth south of Big Timber and pulled a decent bull out of there, tough hunt though and it was literally the only elk we saw on our trip. I am looking forward to just seeing some of that country, we will be near the "Chinese Wall" and Needle Falls, so it will be a good trip regardless of if we bag an elk or not, to be honest I would consider it a more successful trip if I can get a wolf in the cross hairs!

I got 50 rounds loaded up for the Cheytac tonight, going to head out this weekend with the elk target and make sure she is dialed in and Coldbore program is tracking well.

Time for some recoil therapy!