• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

37XC build

Any thoughts on the 37 vs 33? I hadn't thought of using a 112 as a base. Love it

I just got a 338 Edge this past weekend. Is here a big advantage to the 33XC over the Edge? The velocities appear to be about the same with 300gr bullets.

And how do you like the T5 brake. I ordered a 5 port Beast. It makes the Edge recoil about like a 30-06.

Ah. My bad. I didn't think about the timeline from the posts. I was under the impression that you tried the brake on the Lapua.

Reactions: jasent
Oh. Gotcha. That caliber is supposed to be awesome. I'm eager to hear what you think of it when it's finished. Good luck.

I have a T5 brake, it works very well, I just don't like the blow back. I went with the X-caliber X-terminator brake. Best brake I have used. It vents at 90, so no blow back. Ran it on my Lapua and it is going on the Edge when it is finished.

Screw the brakes....run a can. I run a can on all my rifles and after you start its tough to run anything else. Recoil is reduced and you don't have neighbors with funny hairdos bitching at you for knocking stuff off their shooting benches. I can't imagine running a 338 with a 5/8" thread...

I think the biggest advantage of the 33XC over the 338 Edge is availibility of quality brass. Remington brass is pretty inconsistent from my experience and I'd rather find a cal with quality brass available. Peterson makes excellent brass. I do know some guys shooting the Edge and it seems to do ok but its a lot more work sorting cases and doing a lot of work on them just to get in the ring. I've not done anything but load and shoot with the 33XC and its as accurate or moreso than the Edge. I think velocities are comparable.
The other advantage to the XC is the .585" case head diameter. It will work with any of the 338 Lapua actions. I suppose the Edge will work with any of the ultra mag or winmag actions but I like the bigger bolt of the Lapua.

Just my thoughts.

Frank

I am using Norma 300 RUM brass that has been necked out to 338. It's working just fine so far.

I am looking into a suppressor for the Edge, but have a few other firearm purchases properties first. Need to buy a Gen 2 Razor, and then re-barrel my RPR.

I've never heard of ADG so I'll look into that. I've got a customer who has been in the market for something like the 33XC but is not a fan of David Tubb. We're looking for something that won't put money in tubbs pocket for him.

Frank

Just curious why he's not a fan? Haven't been around the bench/elr game very long.

Having watched him at the ELR shoot at Camp atterbury I can see a bit why. He's not a friendly guy, he bitches about everything, doesn't want to talk to us peons who support him by buying his stuff and is generally a bit of an ass. I don't really know him myself but that was my impression. I don't really care though, I bought brass and dies from him with no intent or interest in marrying him. I'm probably a bit of an ass myself to some folks. I did meet a lot of excellent shooters and friendly characters at the shoot so that was a bonus.

My customer has his own reasons I'm sure and is entitled to choose as he sees fit.

Thanks for the info on ADG. I'll pass it on to my customer.

Frank

Good info. Don't want to trash a guy I've never met. Big difference between personality and the way someone does business. Seems like he puts out good product. I have some DTACs that I'm excited to shoot. If I had the $ to burn I would take a hard look at the XCs...

I’ve talked to the man one time and one time only. He was at the Tulsa gun show. He seemed like a good enough guy and answered our questions and took pics with people. Having said that I don’t know the guy personally but that experience was pleasant.

Reactions: rlsmith1
He has been great through all my dealings with him. Necked up my brass order to 37XC free of charge. Great products and customer service.
Never met him in person but have interacted with him quite a bit on fb. As long as products and service are good I’m happy, not looking to be friends. Jmo

Left to right
Warner flatline 361gr, 308, 300wm, 338 Lapua, 37XC w/350gr smk,37XC w/361gr flatline
5F68C46E-FFB2-4EBB-B74C-E1816EFB2E6E.jpeg

Barrel is chambered. Got it just right so my brake is timed too.
Just gotta get it cleaned out and start working on load development. Some how my dummy rounds ended up .010” jammed.....just right

Barrel is chambered. Got it just right so my brake is timed too.
Just gotta get it cleaned out and start working on load development. Some how my dummy rounds ended up .010” jammed.....just right

I hope she is a good shooterfor you. Keep us posted.

This thing is a pleasure to shoot! Less kick than my 243, can watch the bullet hits in my scope. Wow is it loud! About half way done with load development but have no clue on speed yet. Going to have to shoot it with out the break to use my magneto speed as the brake is too long. I did strap it on using the spacers and strap had to be on the brake. Bad idea. Strap was clean of the port but sill burnt the strap a bit and I quit that real quick. Starting load was 2900 with the 350gr smk. Been having troubles with cci 250’s. Two different lots and both are bad, bunch of duds and few went off after 4th time the firing pin hits them. Switched to federal 215m and no issues. So far the worst load was 3/4 moa. Will check back when I finish load work and get speeds. Wish I had a lab radar for this.

Reactions: Sig Marine
Nice. Glad to hear you're liking the new caliber. As unreliable as they are, a Caldwell chrono might work for this application. Those are some hot velocities for a 350gr pill. Should be one heck of a long range shooter.

Well I shot it with out the brake. Not bad at all really. I’m at 2945 without the brake. Screwed on the brake, held 14.5 moa high and nailed the 735 yard plate. I’m thinking I’m pretty close with speed but got plenty of room for more powder. Hopefully I’ll get more time this next week to play with it

That's awesome to hear. What powder are you using?

Well I shot it with out the brake. Not bad at all really. I’m at 2945 without the brake. Screwed on the brake, held 14.5 moa high and nailed the 735 yard plate. I’m thinking I’m pretty close with speed but got plenty of room for more powder. Hopefully I’ll get more time this next week to play with it
Are you zeroed at 100?

Did I miss what scope you’re running?? When do you run out of dialed elevation at that speed?

Currently it’s wearing swfa 16x. I can dial to 2350 and hold over will get me to 2630. When I get my 60 moa rail mounted I should be 10” high at 100

Reactions: Geno C.
I’m at 10.75” high at 100. That’s the most offset TRASOL can handle. I have 126 moa of elevation left in the scope

Currently it’s wearing swfa 16x. I can dial to 2350 and hold over will get me to 2630. When I get my 60 moa rail mounted I should be 10” high at 100

sounds like your figuring everything out. Couple questions. What barrel contour are you running and length of barrel? Also who done your reamer?

Got around to testing the flatlines today. I’m at just over 1/2” at 100 and 3029 FPS with out the brake. Still playing with seating depth.
120gr h1000
Es 9 but that was only 3 rounds

You need to try the hornady aluminum tips before I do so I have a starting point haha

How much empty space do you have in the case at 120gr?
Just below the neck but in the shoulder. Retumbo would probably have a bit better case fill but I have a bunch of h1000. Pressure looks good so I may push a bit harder

No thanks on the hornady

Have had good results with 350gr smk’s

It’s smaller than I thought then. You’re still getting good speed though so that’s what matters. This is 149.5gr of H50bmg in my 375 snipetac
0D5E4F8D-7FCD-40D7-AA69-A3D3360880E7.jpeg

Side question; what is the action diameter and the diameter or the original barrel at the nut?

Action diameter is 1.320
Original barrel just in front of the nut is 1.120. Tenon is large shank savage
McGowen barrel is 1.120 from action to muzzle aside from the 7/8” thread for the brake
5F098628-C94B-436B-A8B8-1ED673E79697.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Geno C.
Got the smk’s dialed in well today. Haven’t checked speed yet. As usual the poa is a bullet hole cause I never can seem to find my sharpies when I need them. 3shot group
120gr h1000
350gr smk
Fed 215m
8A418272-2E6A-4D06-8FCE-CE0B273DF1EC.jpeg