• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40SW lead load

Re: 40SW lead load

I used the precision black bullets load with a charge of Winchester 231 out of my duty Sig 229. Shooting proned out at 25 yards it would hold around 1.5 to 2 inches. This load would out shoot our departments Federal and Speer factory loads with less cleanup.

I can not remember the exact charge weight, but I got the load from American handgunner magazine article about loading 40 cast lead bullets.

I have 8# of bullseye I got specifically for shooting cast from my pistols, that's why I'm sticking to that powder. I didn't have a 10mm/40SW when I bought the powder, but with that much powder sitting here I don't want to go digging for another jug to feed my Glocks.

Thanks for the data points, I just needed somewhere to start from, this will certainly give me somewhere to work off of.

Bullseye is not the best choice for the .40 S&W or 10mm.
See if you can trade it for some Blue Dot. W/BD try 7.5grns with a plated 175-180grn bullet and std. pri. in .40 S&W.
FWIW: Glocks don't like all lead and will shoot great if you use plated bullets OR a different bbl.
Respectfully,
LG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bullseye is not the best choice for the .40 S&W or 10mm.
See if you can trade it for some Blue Dot. W/BD try 7.5grns with a plated 175-180grn bullet and std. pri. in .40 S&W.
FWIW: <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Glocks don't like all lead</span></span> and will shoot great if you use plated bullets OR a different bbl.
Respectfully,
LG </div></div>

Not to bust your balls or anything.....but what evidence are you basing this statement on? I've fired close to 5000 rounds of cast lead bullets through my G22 and have never had a single problem. I have a buddy who really gets into the IPSC shooting sports and have fired more than 20,000 round of lead bullets through his G19. Never a sinlge problem.

Now the trick is to not fire 500 plus rounds of lead bullets through your Glock without cleaning it. I usually run a Boresnake through my barrel after about 150 or 200 rounds. It keeps everything working perfectly & smoothly........Glocks eat lead bullets just fine....
cool.gif

mgd45:
I don't want to argue with you, this is just a heads up. Back in the 90's some Glocks split barrels by shooting lead bullets. If I remember correctly this was due to Glocks rifling and the lead build up in the barrel. I seem to recall this was a warning from Glock so I didn't load lead for my Glocks back then. This is all off the top of my head so the info amybe sketchy but it doesn't hurt to be safe. Things may have changed since then but it may be good to call Glock and see what they say. If there is no problem then great!

I have a G20 that I use a 40SW LWD conversion barrel in with cut rifling. The bullets are also very hard cast alloy that I use in rifles, my dad shoots it from his G17 without issues.

Most cast pistol bullets aren't hard enough, these are VERY hard for lead.

Thanks for the heads up. I got my G29 from a guy who was pissed off he couldn't shoot the normal lead he buys and sold it. Didn't even clean it first, just sent it along with lead fouling still gumming up the bore.

mgd45, my remarks about b/eye powder was from an accuracy stand point. Never said you could NOT use it, It's just NOT the best choice for that cart. is all........Same about all lead bullets in a Glock bbl. The accuracy just is not seen. Glocks are built for "ball"/FMJ type ammo. Now my Glock 22 shoots plated hardcast just fine w/oem bbl. and ALLOT better when the Bar-Sto bbl. is in it. Also Blue Dot powder meters great and is the cleanest burning powder I have ever seen, bar none.
I have also found B/dot to be the best powder in 9mm too. The paper target doesn't lie.
IF you can find any Blue Dot, try it(.40 or 9mm), you will not be sorry.
Respectfully,
LG

Thanks LG. I have a couple pounds of B/dot that I've been using for hot jacketed loads. I have a about 2# of it, but I have 8# of Bullseye, which is why I want to shoot the Bullseye for ringing steel at 25 yards.

I like the Blue Dot, but the tub of Bullseye on hand is driving the powder choice.

Blue Dot is too slow to use with lead bullets anyway...velocity will be too high.