• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

40X trigger adjustment

ltfirehunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2008
Rock Spring Georgia
I have a 40X 22 rimfire and I am needing some assistance in the adjustment area.
This trigger is the one with the adjustment screw in the trigger itself along with the 3 screws in the housing.
Right now it has the pull of a 2 stage trigger, a little take up and then breaks clean.
How do I adjust out the take up.

Re: 40X trigger adjustment

It mabe your MS word program is an older version. Here's the word file. Donald

Now on to the details
The Remington triggers are very good, except they come with a built in lawyer, and he weighs about 9 or 10 pounds.
You will need a bit of good quality gun oil (CLP or equivalent), and a set of small screwdrivers, and some white or red nail polish.
Remove the barreled action from the stock.
Looking at the gun and trigger so the safety is up, and the barrel is pointing to your right... the front of the trigger is to your right...
The three screws are as follows...
On your right, (the front of the trigger) the top screw, near the action, is over travel...
The bottom screw is spring tension...
On your left side, (the back of the trigger) is the engagement screw.
First, break the white "Seals of God" and screw the three screws out enough so that you see several threads.
They may be hard at first, but they are NOT staked in place. The screws and trigger body are carbon steel, and may be rusted, or they may have a sealant on them. Just break them free. Drop a teeny bit of oil on the threads. Run the screws in and out several times until the oil is in the threads, and they turn freely.
OK, now down to business.
Back out the spring tension screw out until there is just enough pressure to keep the trigger forward, but it's very light (4 or 5 oz's) and easy to move.
Back out the engagement screw, (the single screw on the left) and the over-travel screw (the upper screw on your right) out, so there's play to adjust.
Close the bolt on a cocked pin (don't pull the trigger) and VERY SLOWLY turn the engagement screw (on your left) in until the firing pin drops. Back it out about 1/3 to 1/2 of a turn. With the firing pin down, you should now feel the trigger wobble back and forth if you pull it because there is excessive over travel.
Because the back surface of the trigger is NOT undercut, you have to adjust over-travel with the pin "down".
Now, with the firing pin in the "fired" position, screw in the over-travel screw until it "just touches" the trigger lightly, preventing the trigger from moving... back out the over travel screw 1/4 turn. Pulling the trigger now, (with the pin "down") you should feel just the "slightest" free movement.
Now turn in the spring tension screw (lower right) to a pull that you like... I'd strongly suggest a good trigger pull gauge, instead of guessing.
Cock the pin and try it... it should break like glass.
Check by:
Slam the bolt closed a dozen times, check to see if the pin dropped each time. If the pin drops, back out the engagement screw 1/4 turn, and do again.
Cock the pin, set the safety, pull the trigger, release the trigger, and release the safety, a dozen times... if the pin drops, increase the spring tension (shouldn't be necessary, unless you're down around 10-15 oz's, and this trigger is not reliable at that light a pull.
Put white or red nail polish on the screws. Let dry, and put another coat on it again, and again.
There will be no "take up slack", this is a single stage trigger, and can't be adjusted to act like a two stage.
These triggers are easily capable of going to 24-26 oz's, and they keep the setting year after year, and I've never had to re-adjust one.

Trigger is done and beaks like glass.

I have adjusted a ton of the standard 700 triggers and this on is the basically the same.

Thanks Don.

I do need the front and rear sight bases for it

Redfield iron sights?
Unertl target scope?
Weaver/Picatinny for a modern scope?

I should have the Redfield iron shight bases and the Unertls some where. I have the scope base on the gun below. The guy that bought the rifle did not want the scope base. It's a Toni Spori base made over near you in Muscadine AL. One piece steel with 20 MOA built into it. It's a weaver thou and you have to square out the slots as they are round for the square Pacatinny rings.

http://s631.photobucket.com/albums/uu34/donws2/WRA%20Garand/40x%20HB/40x%20SB/

The Redfield Iron sights.
It has a Weaver 36T on a Leupy 1 piece base on it right now. I am probably going to add a 20MOA base at some time just for the extra elevation.
What kinda prices ya got in mind?