• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

416 Barrett??? Whats the general opinion

Re: 416 Barrett??? Whats the general opinion

EDM is in UT as of last year, but no .416 barrels though. I have a .408 Windrunner, btw.

I didn't realize they moved. It doesn't seem like a year since I was in the market for a fifty. I was debating on the two, an M-107 or the Windrunner. A windrunner chambered in the fifty but converted to the 408 and 338LM. They were more than willing. Even invited me out for two weeks of fun in the California sun. I had just purchased my TRG42 and chose to go with the M-107 since I already had a nice long range shooter.

Here's an Australian based company's link for .408, .416, and .50BMG projectiles.

http://www.predatorprojectiles.com.au/html/catalog.html

Also on this page;

http://www.predatorprojectiles.com.au/html/links.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Predator Projectiles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BMT Trading are the civilian distributors of McMillan Tactical products in Australia. They have the Tac series of 308, 338 and 50BMG bolt actions rifles, <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">they also have the only “Factory Built” .416 Barrett chambered rifle available in Australia</span></span>, the “Tac .416” which was built especially for the Australian market. </div></div>

I have read (from other forums) that the M99 barrel assembly is actually forged/manufactured here in Australia. <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Can anyone confirm this?</span></span>

Cheers,
TheLongShot

Coyote3,
The case diameter difference adds almost 1/4 inch to the barrels diameter, so now you are lugging a 1.5"+ stove pipe around with the .416 which is much heavier than a 1.25 - 1.3" Cheytac barrel, thus you just added a lot of unnecessary weight to the rifle. OAL of the cartridge doesn't add as much weight as the diameter of the cartridge, at least when you get up to the size of a 50BMG.
laugh.gif