• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

45 ACP Powder Choice

Joey Dean

Minuteman
Jul 8, 2010
Oklahoma City
I am about to shoot up the last of some 15k 45 loads I have had for years. They were loaded in the days where I kept records of nothing and I have no clue what they are (VV N310 I am sorta recalling). All I remember is I loaded them up about 20 at a time until I found what I liked and started cranking out ammo for weeks using a Rockchucker with a Piggyback sitting on top.

So, what are all the cool kids loading with now? I will be putting a Berry's 230 gr. DS on the top and a primer in the bottom. Anyone have a favorite for the middle?

These will be for training and need to shoot hard enough to take a knock down over. No elephants will be harmed with them, however. I also put off cleaning as long as I can, so black powder and anything with a "Colored Dot" on the label is pretty much out.

I use 6.4 grains of power pistol over a plated 230g hp and I love it. Moderate recoil and still knocks swinger plates around with authority. It does produce a bigger muzzle flash in lower light than my bullseye load but it burns super clean.

I like 4.5 gr. of Titegroup with 230's for my 45 acp plinking rounds. It burns very clean and puts out about 800 fps and is very versatile...it can be used in pretty much all pistol cartridges and shotguns too.

I am using TightGroup 4.2 gr. with my 230gr FMJ. Crimp .469. Shoots well at 25 but have not tested at 50. Mike

I use 6.0grs of WSF in my Berry's 230gr RN for plinking. 8.0grs of Power Pistol with Hornady XTP 230gr JHP in a +P Load.

W231 at 5.3 grains with a 230 FMJ. Flows nice through a Dillon measure.

I started with clays and found the gun easier to clean and very consistent results with Alliant Bullseye.

If you like the VV N310 load why not stick with it? I have been looking for some to try, my local shop has some on order. I am interested in it because of its speed and single base so I think it will be ideal for suppressed shooting.

Otherwise I use WST for cast lead(would probably work equally well with jacketed) or TiteGroup for jacketed. I also use the 4.5g load under jacketed like SavageSlayer.

Guess I'm the odd ball but I like 5.3gr of Accurate #2. Shoots great for me

Win. 231/HP 38. I use between 5.0 and 5.3 grains depending on what I'm going to be doing with them. I think I went with the 5.3 to make PF in IDPA when I was shooting that.

Another 231 user, here. Meters well, loads like bullseye, but cleaner. For hotter loads, I still use Bluedot. Yeah, I know those choices date me! Lightman

I use Win 231, 5.5 under a 230 FMJ or HP. Also really like VV N320, this really burns clean, but hard to find and expensive. I have used VV N310 under a 200 wad cutter, have also used WST. Usually run the N320, 4.8 under a 200 grain wad cutter with a reduced (lb) spring.

I use Win 231, 5.5 under a 230 FMJ or HP. Also really like VV N320, this really burns clean, but hard to find and expensive. I have used VV N310 under a 200 wad cutter, have also used WST. Usually run the N320, 4.8 under a 200 grain wad cutter with a reduced (lb) spring.

R50140...What weight are you using with the N310 and the 200gr WC? I have a pound of it I would like to try.

My go to powder for 45acp has been VV N320. I am almost out of it and none to be found so just ordered 8# of WST. I have heard good things. I have used W231 in the past and loved it but its tough to find nowadays.

Clays! Is there really anything else?

Okay so I use Solo 1000 now, but if I only shot .45, Clays would be the only choice for me.

Ruger sr1911 I use 6.3 grains of winchester autocomp over 230g fmj. Nice groups but I'm always open to try something new.

I've used a lot of the choices above but use WST. It's cleaner than Bullseye and less temperature sensitive than 231. Lot to lot is consistent as well. For 45 ACP, WST should be the main one to consider.

I'll be the odd man out. I use 5.4g of Accurate #2 with my 230g RN lead OAL 1.230 cci primers I also use the same load for my 230g plated FP, OAL 1.230 cci primers in my 1911

I run IMR SR4756 in my 45acp so far and have had good luck

I've used a lot of the choices above but use WST. It's cleaner than Bullseye and less temperature sensitive than 231. Lot to lot is consistent as well. For 45 ACP, WST should be the main one to consider.

Plus WST smells like pepper when you shoot it, makes me hungry when I go to the range.

Joe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

As I mention above, WST Iis great for 45ACP. But it works well also in 9mm, 38 super, and 38 special. My 45 load is 4.3 gr with 200gr WST. It shoots well in my 8 different 45 ACP's.

Well, I have found two powders in stock that I can make work. I bought a pound of Accurate #5 and a pound of Silhouette. Rumor has it that W231 will be in stock this week as well.

Man, I love working up new stuff. More fun than a basket of puppies.

I use Unique with 230 RN, 5.4 gr in S&W 1911. Or Bullseye 5.2 grs. With a 3" Kimber ... Unique 5.0 with RN and XTP's.

Currently AA#5 is my go to load for the plated 230gr bullets from either Berry's or Rainier. Very accurate load, but not nearly as economical as others, but it meters very consistently. Looking to maybe trying some titegroup as some point.

4.5 gr titegroup behind berry's 200 gr HP. Steps out pretty quick, an keeps on truckin. I like Titegroup a lot, because you can get almost a thousand rounds a pound out of it. Pretty important these days.

Add another vote for WST. I'm running 5.2 (+/- 0.1g) on my Hornady LNL. It meters well, fills more case than Bullseye so I don't have the paranoia of double charging a case as much as I did with BE, it leaves less case soot than Bullseye, smokes less than Unique and my targets can't tell the difference. After I finish this 8lbs, I'm trying Clays next...probably be somewhere in 2020 at the rate I make it to the range. :(

Current load under a 200-gr cast SWC is 4.6 grains of WST. Makes major power factor for IPSC since they dropped it from 175 to 165.

Richard

4.2-4.5 grains of WST depending upon your OAL, crimp and barrel chamber. Very soft shooting and very accurate with 230grn Precision Black Bullets.... yours should be very similar

As I mention above, WST Iis great for 45ACP. But it works well also in 9mm, 38 super, and 38 special. My 45 load is 4.3 gr with 200gr WST. It shoots well in my 8 different 45 ACP's.

+1... I use WST exclusively now for pistol (45 ACP major pf, 9mm minor pf, 38 SC minor pf).