• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

458 Socom ? Wanting to hear from Owners/Shooters

Shane Miller

Oil Field Trash
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2014
Morning All,

I did try to search The Hide for my answers.... however I must really suck at searching.
So I'll just post directly.

I'm looking to buy my first big bore.
I looked at the Bushmaster and the 50. But I settled on The Socom.
I reached out to Tromix and spoke to a guy there....
He said you do lose velocity from 16 inches to 12 but you don't take a major hit unless you go to like 8 inch barrels.

Now i have watched tons of videos. Read tons of reviews.... most are using 16 to 18 inch barrels. Now I understand about ATF, and why they maybe doing this.....
But most of them are calling the Socom a watered down 45.70

So first off.....
Is the Socom good for hunting?
Is it just a watered down 45.70?
The guy at Tromix said not to use Underwood ammo as its too hot....
So this puts me asking.....
If I go with Buffalo Bore or off the shelf, how much velocity would I lose per inch under 16 inches?
Would it still be a good hunting rig at ..... 12 or 10 inches with in 150 yards?

Again, I did try to search so don't light me up LOL

THANKS ALL IN ADVANCE

Reactions: J. W.
Based on the way politics is looking right now, I'd suggest you build a 16" barrel gun and make life easy on yourself unless you are already planning to go down the SBR route.

Based on the way politics is looking right now, I'd suggest you build a 16" barrel gun and make life easy on yourself unless you are already planning to go down the SBR route.
If i went sbr then of course I would get my tax stamp. Id also have to apply for a suppressor stamp as well LOL

Morning All,

I did try to search The Hide for my answers.... however I must really suck at searching.
So I'll just post directly.

I'm looking to buy my first big bore.
I looked at the Bushmaster and the 50. But I settled on The Socom.
I reached out to Tromix and spoke to a guy there....
He said you do lose velocity from 16 inches to 12 but you don't take a major hit unless you go to like 8 inch barrels.

Now i have watched tons of videos. Read tons of reviews.... most are using 16 to 18 inch barrels. Now I understand about ATF, and why they maybe doing this.....
But most of them are calling the Socom a watered down 45.70

So first off.....
Is the Socom good for hunting?
Is it just a watered down 45.70?
The guy at Tromix said not to use Underwood ammo as its too hot....
So this puts me asking.....
If I go with Buffalo Bore or off the shelf, how much velocity would I lose per inch under 16 inches?
Would it still be a good hunting rig at ..... 12 or 10 inches with in 150 yards?

Again, I did try to search so don't light me up LOL

THANKS ALL IN ADVANCE
If you’re planning on running subs, your velocity ceiling is pretty low to begin with. I haven’t done the homework, but I’m not sure a short barrel would hinder you any in that application. If going super, then obviously that changes things, so I guess you need to determine what your main use will be. Or build/buy two uppers.

To answer your question . yes the 458 socom In a gas gun is a water downed 45/70 . the 5.56 bolt face is machined to fit the dimension of a 308 bolt . So that puts a limit o pressure generated . I own two socom's the gas gun is a rock river and runs 300 grain bullets around 1800 fps . The bolt action I built off a savage Stevens 200 short action 308 the bolt face is already .473 so it can tolerate more pressure . I shoot hornady 325 FTX bullets at 2150 fps out of the 18 inch barreled bolt action. Tromix would definatly be the go to upper for sure .
IMG_3469.jpeg

Tromix for sure for a ar type. Subs, your not getting any advantage from a 16(maybe slightly quieter). I'd go 12 unless your worried about the SS, uh I mean ATF. Even supers it's not going to slow ya down that much.

Yes it's basically it's a 45-70 before hot loads got popular. Plenty of power for hunting, 150 yds will have a bow and arrow trajectory lol, subs close to mortars.....