• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5.56 AR Only Loads

77 SMK
LC Brass
CCI 200
23.8gr 8208 XBR

2830fps avg out of my PRI Mk12 Mod0 with Omega can/5.56 end cap. Super accurate, but very warm load. Brass doesn't look too beat up. Primers are on the edge (flat, some flow around firing pin), but never pierced or popped one. May need to switch to #41s, or back off a few tenths of a grain.

This same load in my Mod H with a Krieger/CLE chamber is too hot. Will be dropping back down and working up in an attempt to get a load that works for both weapons.

Last edited:
77 SMK
LC Brass
CCI 200
23.8gr 8208 XBR

2830fps avg out of my PRI Mk12 Mod0 with Omega can/5.56 end cap. Super accurate, but very warm load. Brass doesn't look too beat up. Primers are on the edge (flat, some flow around firing pin), but never pierced or popped one. May need to switch to #41s, or back off a few tenths of a grain.
I see several people shooting this load but I have found it to be hot as well. It could be chamber differences, powder batch, etc but I turned my load down to 23.3, found that I didn't lose a lot of velocity, and I am not killing my brass.

With Lapua brass and 77 TMKs, 5 shots over a Labradar yielded single digit SDs.

Thank you for posting this. I have been seeing 23.2gr of 8208XBR as pretty common. I was thinking of dropping down to this. I think I'll be ok running through these loads for the winter, but definitely want to bump it down before the summer. I am under the impression that 8208XBR is temp stable. At the same time, I am under the impression that when it does get into the "hot" zone, the pressure spikes acutely.

Having recently acquired a Stag AR with a heavy 24" bbl. I've read every post here and it seams that the two powders most used are TAC & XBR with 77 gn bullets. I was hoping more that one member was using AA 2520 as I picked up 8# at an estate sale.
It seams that the AR / semi Auto community doesn't think much of my Stag AR. Probably because it didn't cost 3 bushels full of $$$$.
It seams the TAC users are crowding the 24.8 gn. MAX of 62,000 psi according to the Western Powder Co. data

Bushings?

I measured a few of my Lapua/77gSMK loads and the smallest (none are neck turned), were right at .250. Redding suggests using .001 smaller for their Type S dies, but I'm thinking in a semi-auto AR platform maybe .248 is better. AMP annealing every time.

Thoughts?

Is anybody running CFE223 and 69 and 77 SMKs?

I just loaded LC 1X sorted by year, CCI 41’s. Interested in what others are running for charge weights. May have to try some Varget but am wanting to save that for others. Scored 2 8# CFE223’s recently.

Reactions: jLorenzo

I just loaded LC 1X sorted by year, CCI 41’s. Interested in what others are running for charge weights. May have to try some Varget but am wanting to save that for others. Scored 2 8# CFE223’s recently.
26.5 for a 55gr ...and 23.5 for the 77smk in fed and win brass - fed205 gm-ar is what I'm loading ( both loads are about a gr off max ,per Hodgdon annual loading manual ) Iffin you gonna run warm/ hot loads with cfe223, do your load workups when its hot outside...this powder is temp sensitive .

I see several people shooting this load but I have found it to be hot as well. It could be chamber differences, powder batch, etc but I turned my load down to 23.3, found that I didn't lose a lot of velocity, and I am not killing my brass.

With Lapua brass and 77 TMKs, 5 shots over a Labradar yielded single digit SDs.
23.2-23.4 is a known sweet spot
I can run higher but it’s not worth the risk or hassle and it doesn’t kill brass or pound bolts.

NH4X 23 grains with the CFE is 2.9 grains under max for 5.56 data Hornady, and 1.7 for 223 Service rifle data (80gr), for a 77.

If I drop down to the 75 data it is 3.5 gr under for 5.56 and not listed for service rifle.

Sierra has 25 being the high number. But that is 223 data not 5.56.

I am asking because I have 100 rounds loaded now from 23.8-25 in two different cases. Rifle is a Wilde chamber. You have me a tray hung my head if they are safe to shoot.

SMK 69gr with 24.2 IMR 8208,, COAL 2.255. No reason to shoot anything else out to 600 yards.

69 SMK
Mixed brass
25.3 grain of varget
2.250 seating depth
Cci41 primer.
Average velocity 2725 out of a suppressed 16 inch barrel.
Group shot at 100 yards. 5 shots
8CF9B8EB-30E7-4368-94F7-3E00EC4BFB15.jpeg

Anyone try 69grs w/ Shooters World AR Plus, AR Tactical, or Precision?
I've shot the 77 SMK with Precision but not the 69. If you end up finding a good load with Precision, let me know as I would be interested.

Reactions: S3th
I’ve been sizing with Redding type s fl dies expanding with Sinclair mandrels and seating with Forster ultra micrometer for my bolt guns any reasons to change for a gasser or recommendation? going to be loading up 69gr smk with LC brass have Varget and 8208xbr and cci#41 thanks

Reactions: Brownie38
I’ve been sizing with Redding type s fl dies expanding with Sinclair mandrels and seating with Forster ultra micrometer for my bolt guns any reasons to change for a gasser or recommendation? going to be loading up 69gr smk with LC brass have Varget and 8208xbr and cci#41 thanks
I don’t think there would be any reason to change up what you are doing. Only thing I would add for a gasser is maybe introduce a little crimp if you are using Varget. My load at 25.3 grain is a compressed load. I added a little crimp on them and they have shot very well.

.....try it with your existing equipment first, if it works good, if not...determine WHAT specifically isn't working then buy accordingly. Understand with gassers shoulder bump is just as important as in a bolt, but typically a little more is given for gassers due to variations in mags, chambers, etc.

..three of the most common problems encountered are (1) Case web not sufficiently sized down, (2) not enough shoulder bump, and (3) bullets not seated properly to avoid jamming into the lands. If the case web issue is encountered, the RCBS AR series dies are "full length, small base" dies and typically take care of that issue. YMMV

Reactions: Parkerized 1
I had to go to Small Base for my loads cause about 1 in 15-20 rounds wouldn’t load. I size all my AR brass with a Small Base die and haven’t had any issues since.
I'd be surprised if they put any data out for the Norma while they are still pimping their PRC round.

Maybe they are trying to make up the lost sales revenue with reloading books since the Lapua PRC cases came out.

I'd just purchase the QL software and work up.

.....try it with your existing equipment first, if it works good, if not...determine WHAT specifically isn't working then buy accordingly. Understand with gassers shoulder bump is just as important as in a bolt, but typically a little more is given for gassers due to variations in mags, chambers, etc.

..three of the most common problems encountered are (1) Case web not sufficiently sized down, (2) not enough shoulder bump, and (3) bullets not seated properly to avoid jamming into the lands. If the case web issue is encountered, the RCBS AR series dies are "full length, small base" dies and typically take care of that issue. YMMV

Reactions: Parkerized 1
While I’m here. My load
77 grain SMK
24.0 gn Varget/ 23.5gn H4895
2.255” oal
18” Rock Creek barrel (Rainier Arms Supermatch)

Has anyone reloaded IMI brass yet? How does it compare to Lake City? How does it handle MK262 clone load pressures?

Anyone have any experience with the 85gr barnes match burner?

I'm planning on loading 23.4 - 25.4 gr 2000MR. 25.3 is the max, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this powder/bullet combo accuracy wise

Noveske 16” 1-7 carbine length gas system. TBAC Ultra 9 30cal
Running a standard non adjustable Noveske gas block and H3 buffer.

Hornady 60gr Vmax
CCI SRP
Winchester brass
IMR4064 24.3grs
2667 fps
2.243 OAL
ES 31
SD 11.7

Groups anywhere from .33- .47 depending on the day I’m having. This is what I’m going to use for coyotes and bobcats this year. Was hoping for a bit more velocity but I’ll take it. I’m wondering if the carbine length system is robbing some velocity.

Was hoping for a bit more velocity but I’ll take it. I’m wondering if the carbine length system is robbing some velocity.
Yeah that's pretty slow for 60's out of a 16", you should be able to get 77's going that fast. I wouldn't say the CLGS is robbing velocity, but it's probably limiting how hard you can push loads before it starts trashing things.

Yeah that's pretty slow for 60's out of a 16", you should be able to get 77's going that fast. I wouldn't say the CLGS is robbing velocity, but it's probably limiting how hard you can push loads before it starts trashing things.
I chrono’d some FGMM 69 SMK’s and they were at 2589fps. This is all shooting over a pro chrono with sky screen.

I chrono’d some FGMM 69 SMK’s and they were at 2589fps. This is all shooting over a pro chrono with sky screen.
Huh. Is the barrel broken in? I don't know enough about factory ammo to know if Federal loads them pretty mild or not. Maybe kust an unusually slow barrel. All my 16" barrels (5 of them) can get Hornady 62gr bthp's over 2800fps without breaking a sweat.

Huh. Is the barrel broken in? I don't know enough about factory ammo to know if Federal loads them pretty mild or not. Maybe kust an unusually slow barrel. All my 16" barrels (5 of them) can get Hornady 62gr bthp's over 2800fps without breaking a sweat.
Barrel probably has 250-300rds threw it, I was hoping for at least 2750ish range with the Vmax’s.

Weird. I don't know anything about IMR4064 though so I'm talking out my ass regarding velocities your getting with it.

18” criterion stainless fluted
77 smk
Virgin wolf brass .222 mandrel neck sized
Wolf primer
23.5 imr 8208 xbr
2715fps suppressed

Has anyone reloaded IMI brass yet? How does it compare to Lake City? How does it handle MK262 clone load pressures?

I have been loading IMI 16 5.56mm brass for a while. I am up to 5 reloading and the brass and primer pockets are fine. I noticed my AMP AZTEC run codes are 0124 for my LC 11 brass and 0129 for my IMI 16 brass. Based on this the IMI brass is thicker.

Reactions: Enbloc and Balor
IMI case capacity is generally .2 grains less than LC brass, atleast in my testing. LC brass varies a little bit by year of production , but all I've tested has been within 31.2-31.5 grs. IMI 556 brass is usually 31.1 to 31.3 grs

New to reloading, bought a bunch of once fire brass that had been processed. I separated them by head stamp and started seating primers with my RCBS universal hand primer. Primers are Fed 205’s and FC brass. Some of the primers seat and some don’t. They’ll crush or won’t seat at all. With the price of primers and they’re hard to find, this is getting spendy. These are being reloaded for an AR.
View attachment 7544079View attachment 7544080View attachment 7544081View attachment 7544082View attachment 7544085View attachment 7544091View attachment 7544092
Get yourself a primer pocket swage gauge and a RCBS crimp remover. Some of the crimps really smash the brass so it’s a good idea to gauge the pocket before crushing a primer trying to get to fit.

...I would suggest this tool kit, economical and has everything you need. As a new reloader, using it in manual mode will ingrain the feel and knowledge you will develop the more you use it. But.....if time is a factor, you can always chuck up the bits in a hand drill/screw driver to speed things up ;) Tool can be purchased practically anywhere, storefront, online, etc.

View attachment 7725654
I use the pocket reamer from this tool in a cordless drill to remove primer crimps from Federal and LC brass.

I have 500 68gr Hornady,tried 3 book loads and have'nt found one that shoots well yet...Suggestions-18" 1/8.Thx

I have 500 68gr Hornady,tried 3 book loads and have'nt found one that shoots well yet...Suggestions-18" 1/8.Thx
I have great success with them over some Shooters World Precision, although it is in a bolt gun.

Reactions: Bubs

What is the case web?

Have some CFE223 loaded up under some Hornady 75 bthps. Looking to get a feel for the powder then I move to the 77s which have always shot a lot better than the 75s for me. Hoping I can get the 75s to tighten up a little though, they are affordable and available.

68 BTHP
23.8 TAC
Magtech SR primer
FC military brass
Loaded on a Dillon 1050 with the Dillon measure.
At 100 yards, it was under 1/2" out of an 18" Bartlein 1:8 twist bolt gun

It also shot well with in my wife's 14.5" Daniel Defense AR, enough that she was hitting 2 MOA steel at 500.

Anyone have any experience using Leverevolution in 5.56?

...I had the same question, but haven't found any published data in reloading manuals or manufacturers web sites. On most burn rate charts it's shown as slightly slower/comparable to CFE 223, so it could be viable. As always, start low and work up. My only concern is how "dirty" LVR has shown itself in my 6ARC loads, but only testing will give any answers.. I suspect it would lean itself to the heavier bullets in 223/556.

Reactions: jLorenzo
...I had the same question, but haven't found any published data in reloading manuals or manufacturers web sites. On most burn rate charts it's shown as slightly slower/comparable to CFE 223, so it could be viable. As always, start low and work up. My only concern is how "dirty" LVR has shown itself in my 6ARC loads, but only testing will give any answers.. I suspect it would lean itself to the heavier bullets in 223/556.
Supposedly it is great with the 75gr ELD but Ive just read that on another forum so who knows.