• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes $500 to spend on glass & mount/ring for 700PSS 308

ty423

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2009
CA, OC
I'm new to bolt action and long distance shooting. I've been reading alot on the FAQ and leard a ton. I can't wait to get out and start shooting my new rifle...well it was used but this is my first so it's fine. I want to shoot 400-600yds decently. Finer the better but I'm sure I'll suck for awhile. No hunting just strictly paper shooting and probably hit some iron targets for fun.

Anyways I have $500 to spend on a decent mount, rings and optic. I've been thinking the Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56 or maybe a Nikon Monarch that I've been reading good things about. Looks like alot use Badger rings and mounts so been looking into that.

What other optics, rings and mounts are a good choice? Remember I want to total out to $500.

Re: $500 to spend on glass & mount/ring for 700PSS 308

For the mounts .... I'd check out an EGW base and Burris Xtreme rings.

Do you need a setup that will withstand abuse, or will this be range rifle?

If it's the former, you can't do it for $500. An excellent Badger base and rings can eat $275, leaving just $225 for the scope, and there's no good scope for $225 or less.

If it's the latter, you will still have to skimp somewhere. However, for 400-600 yards you don't need an angled base and good rings are available for closer to $100 than $160.

For bases and rings, maybe look at the Talley one piece base/ring units.

For a scope, you will have to decide on features and reliablity that you need vs those that you don't need. For 400-600 yards 10x is fine, unless you want to shoot movers, in which case you might need a variable and then you've blown your budget. If you need a Mildot reticle, and you probably do, that narrows the field further. First, look at the Super Sniper 10x rear focus. Then, if you want to sacrifice a bit in durability look at the Nikon Buckmaster Mildot. Also look at the Bushnell 10x Mildot. Sightron isn't horrible either, but the SIII's are noticeably better than the lower end models and I don't think they are in your price range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the mounts .... I'd check out an EGW base and Burris Xtreme rings. </div></div>

smart, practical advice for a budget rig. If you look into Nikon, check out Vortex Viper for better scope value.

Scott

Yeah, I'm not very good at sticking to a budget, just ask my wife.
laugh.gif

But Scott can spend your money wisely, and he doesn't know my wife yet, so maybe call him and have him set you up with all of it.
wink.gif

I would only add that you should buy what you will be able to re-sell easily, for when the bug for better equipment bites you hard.

My advice is the EGW base Burris XTR rings and a Bushnell 3200 10x40.You should be able to resell all of these easily once the urge to upgrade gets to you.

Seekins ring and bases and a Super Sniper rear focus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seekins ring and bases and a Super Sniper rear focus. </div></div>

This is the best you are going to get for $500

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the mounts .... I'd check out an EGW base and Burris Xtreme rings. </div></div>

Agreed! Best value for the money. Make sure you get the 20 MOA EGW base, though.

Keep an eye on the for sale forum here....
I bought:
rear focus super sniper @ $250 shipped
badger 20moa base @ $110 shipped
badger Max50 rings @150 shipped

Granted, neither was brand spankin new, and I had to be patient, but all are as good as new and I think I have a hell of a deal in my rig, coming in just slightly over your stated budget.

Just my $0.02 for what that will get ya.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">max 50 rings are overkill for a 308 </div></div>
Didn't say they were on a .308, and didn't say you had to get Max50s. what I said is that there are good deals to be had if one is patient.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agree on SWFA Super Sniper and Seekins gear</div></div>

That's the route I took working under similar constraints and I'm perfectly satisfied with the results.

Since he's new, maybe he should move straight to Mil/mil instead of mil/moa. He can probably find a falcon mil/mil for 300-400 and spend another hundred on the burris xtr rings and the egw rail.

FFP MIL/MIL Falcon Menace
Used Badger, TPS, Seekins, NXS 20MOA rail
Used Badger, TPS, Seekins, NXS rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WOMBAT2879</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My advice is the EGW base Burris XTR rings and a Bushnell 3200 10x40.You should be able to resell all of these easily once the urge to upgrade gets to you. </div></div> +1000 Have this exact setup on a .223 my coyote gun, great out to 600yrds. And for an upgrade, go to the Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24x50 and use the LOW rings. All of my setups have the EGW base and XTR rings, good combo. If you wait you should be able to snag a 4200 ELITE scope for $400, rings are $50 and Base is $50 (all prices include shipping. So there is your $500 and you will have a nice setup.

I'm really going to look into the Super Sniper scopes and if they
are as good as everyone says for that price then I'm probably going for that. Base looks like I have to narrow it down to either EGW or Seekins from everyones recommendation and I've pretty much decided on Burris XT rings.

However while I was looking around the bases I noticed some are long action and short action. I have a Remington PSS in 308 and not sure which it is. Also what height rings would be best or would I have to figure it out once I get the scope?

thanks for everyones help.

You have a short action....

Go to ebay and look for quality used. Warne bases and mounts are bullet proof and available from Brownells at a good discount if you set up account on business letterhead.
I'm watching 5 Burris tactical variables right now on ebay and all are gonna sell for less than a Super Sniper.

I just purchased my order from SWFA...didn't want to wait and spent under $500.

Burris XT Medium Ring 30mm
EGW REM 700 SA picatinny base
Super Sniper 10x42
accessories such as butler creek covers and sun shade

all for $461 shipped... not bad and all new

thanks everybody

Ooops... too late.

You're probably going to wish you'd gotten the LOW Burris rings. I have almost 3/8" of clearance on my objective with Burris low rings and a 20 min. base on my PSS.

Any higher rings and I'd lose a good cheek weld. Oh well, at least they're <span style="text-decoration: line-through">cheap</span> inexpensive.

Re: $500 to spend on glass & mount/ring for 700PSS

Mark 4 20moa bases or 1 pc
Wonder optics scope
Burris xtr low rings